TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
ranjay

Record 2 shows and watch a third on Fios?

I now have cablevision with a very good SA brand HD DVR. Switching to Fios only because I'll be saving some money each month (Cable would only reduce rates if I reduced service.) Getting HD STB from Fios (for VOD channels) and bought HD tivo (I already have an expander that will work with the Tivo but not the verizon dvr.) One source of confusion--on the SA box, I can record 2 shows while watching a third. Can I do the same with Tivo? It is not clearly stated in all but one faq page I found.
ranjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjay View Post
One source of confusion--on the SA box, I can record 2 shows while watching a third. Can I do the same with Tivo? It is not clearly stated in all but one faq page I found.
You can record two channels while watching a third, previously recorded show. You cannot record two channels while watching another channel live. The TivoHD has two tuners, not three.

Of course, if you got a STB from Verizon, you could record two channels on the TivoHD while watching a third channel on the STB.

You will need a CableCard to use the TivoHD with FiOS. One M-CARD from Verizon supports both tuners on the TivoHD.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

No point in watching TV in realtime. Get another TiVo, then you can record 3 channels and watch a fourth.
The only reason I have a FIOS STB is strictly for VOD.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Of course, if you got a STB from Verizon, you could record two channels on the TivoHD while watching a third channel on the STB.
This is what I do currently with RCN. Works great. Of course I have the STB attached to a Series 2 DT TiVo (which will turn into a single tuner when my area goes all-digital January 20th ) so I can record the third program as well.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
ranjay

Thanks all for the info. One other question--what if I get the Fios DVR instead of the STB. Would it work correctly so then I could record 3 channels and still watch a recorded program? Or is there any conflict between the units?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjay View Post
Thanks all for the info. One other question--what if I get the Fios DVR instead of the STB. Would it work correctly so then I could record 3 channels and still watch a recorded program? Or is there any conflict between the units?
You could do that, yes. There's no conflict.

Be aware that recording on the FiOS DVR isn't nearly as reliable because its program information is often incorrect. Verizon elected to choose a cheaper guide data provider for their own boxes, and as a result, their program information isn't nearly as comprehensive or reliable / accurate as what you get with TiVo. With the FiOS DVR, you'll find new episodes flagged as repeats, repeats flagged as new episodes, program listed will occasionally be an hour off, etc.

I don't know if you have ever used a TiVo. But if you can setup recordings for three series that show at the same time; the TiVo will record the first two on your season pass list (you set the order), and then it will look for future showings of the third program. If that third program is showing again, the TiVo will automatically find and record it. Because of this, you don't really have to worry about conflicting cable programs, because those are almost always shown later in the week; for the most part, you only need to concern yourself with programs on ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC, because some of those are only shown once and not repeated.

Season Pass list: you order your series recordings to determine what two shows get recorded first when three or more are showing at the same time
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #7
ciper

Inside your home FIOS is the same as cable. It's actually an 870mhz cable system modulated into light, which travels over the fiber, and then is demodulated back into regular old cable signals at your home. You could have "infinite" Tivo's or STB at your home if you want.

The one benefit over cable however is that data (up and down) travel on their own path so the entire 870mhz can be dedicated to video. Thats why FIOS now has one hundred HD channels available in New York (yes individual channels)
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
lew

If you have a QAM tuner in your TV set you can split the signal. Your tivoHD can record 2 channels while you watch a third channel (not much more then broadcast channels).

TivoHD and Verizon DVR will let you record 2 shows and watch a third show you previously recorded.

PP is right, the Tribune guide data is better then the vendor Verizon uses BUT this mainly affects shows like Monk on the minor networks. The guide data is reasonably good for major network, prime time shows.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
ranjay

Also--anyone have any experience with splitting/switching digital optical audio? I have 2 digital inputs on my surround receiver. Using optical for cable dvr now (which I will use for fios box) and coax for Bluray. Leave me nothing for Fios. Have seen a few splitters/switches online, but concerned I might screw up my surround system.

Last edited by ranjay : 01-08-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

I used optical/coaxial switches in the late 90's and early 2000's for my audio devices and DVD players at home. i never had any problems using the switches with my surround system.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote