TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Irk89

WPA2 Support

Is WPA2 supported using a Tivo Wireless G Adapter with a Series2 DT and/or HD TiVos (on fully updated tivos). I can't seem to find a clear cut answer anywhere and whether or not it's officially supported.
Irk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
pdonoghu

Yes, WPA/WPA2 are supported only with a Tivo brand wireless adapter. I believe you need software version 8.1 or latter
pdonoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Irk89

Have you tested WPA2 to ensure it works?
Irk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irk89 View Post
Have you tested WPA2 to ensure it works?
I'm running it on about four boxes using the TiVo Wireless Adapter here (and have been using it since it became available)

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:46 AM   #5
drey

WPA2 support comes with 9.x and above versions of software.
drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
jmcmillan757

I had to turn off WPA2

I got a new Series 2 dual tuner with 7.2.xxx and had to turn off all of my security to get the Wi-Fi adapter to connect. I signed up to "get" the 9.2 upgrade so I can turn on security again. Is there anything else that I need to do?
jmcmillan757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

There is nothing else you must do except have some patience. The update will download on one of the next two daily connections. You will be able to tell it downloaded if you see the words "pending restart" on the phone and network screen of the DVR. You can force an extra connection that might speed things up if the download is pending for you. Multiple attempts to force a connection will do no better than the first time. If it is not pending today, it probably will be tomorrow.

Once you see "pending restart" you can force your DVR to restart and the software update will self install. If you don't force a restart, it will restart itself and self install the next time 2AM rolls around.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I am currently using WPA-TSK for my Tivos.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
jmcmillan757

Curious - my Series 2 did the 9.2 update and restart last night. I turned back on WPA-2 on my WiFi pop and then updated the Tivo network connection with the password and everything is good. Thanks for the reassurance!
jmcmillan757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
rkcstr

Concerning compatibility:

I have my Series 2 Tivo (software version 9.3.2a) in the bedroom connected via the Tivo wireless adapter to my network. I have two other Tivos (S2 DT and Tivo HD), which are hardwired to the network, all handled by a Dlink DIR-655 wireless router. I'm using WPA2 for the wireless key, but I have a frustrating problem. When I use WEP I can transfer a 1hr show between Tivos in about 40-45 min, enough to watch the show immediately and even fast-forward through commercials. However, now using WPA, the shows will still transfer, but I can't even watch the show "streaming" let alone fast forward commercials. It seems to take about 1hr 30min to send an hour show, or about half as fast as before.

Anyone else notice this? Is this a problem with using WPA, or is something else going on?

I've noticed this a while back too, with a different router, which is why I never went with WPA, but I figured newer router and updated software may fix this. I guess not.
rkcstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #11
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

The Tivo wireless adapter is faster than a wired connection because it is doing several tasks that utilize the CPU on the Tivo. The CPU on a Tivo is capable of running the Tivo software and almost nothing else without affecting performance. So, when it's wired the CPU is working harder. WEP vs WPA will not affect speed of transfers. It's likely that your signal strength is the main variable. If you have a low signal, things will be slower whereas a strong signal will be faster. It's going to be the same on any laptop running wireless - your speed slows as the signal strength degrades.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

I wouldn't expect WEP vs WPA to change signal strength.

Perhaps it is a key length issue. WPA2 can use very long keys and the processor in the TiVo adapter may handle those more slowly than it does shorter keys. This is a WILD GUESS on my part. If you use WPA AES instead of TKIP or vice versa, or if you use WPA versus WPA2, or if you use a shorter pass phrase, does it make any difference in transfer speed? Those are experiments you can perform that might prove to be very illuminating to many people here.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I don't think there is a difference between WEP and WPA signal strength either. I'm saying the OP has made a mistake somewhere in the process where he believes the only thing being compared is WEP vs WPA. It may be he was standing in front of his Tivo during test one or physically touching the transmitter on the Tivo. The variable is not WEP versus WPA, the variable is signal strength not the encryption method. That's what he needs to check. If you have a Tivo wireless adapter available, that is the best thing to use for transferring shows. It's better than a directly wired connection. There is likewise no reason not to use WPA if you have a Tivo wireless adapter. If you have some other adapter, then you must use WEP or go unencrypted.

Bottom line, the speed variable he is trying to troubleshoot has to do with signal strength IMHO. Set your Tivo to use WPA and go to the network settings screen and adjust the Tivo Wireless adapter to get the highest number possible for signal strength. Once you've done that, you can be sure you are getting the fastest transfer speeds your system is capable of.

If we're talking about the speed of a Netflix or a Amazon file transfer then the OP has lured us down a garden path.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
rkcstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
I wouldn't expect WEP vs WPA to change signal strength.

Perhaps it is a key length issue. WPA2 can use very long keys and the processor in the TiVo adapter may handle those more slowly than it does shorter keys. This is a WILD GUESS on my part. If you use WPA AES instead of TKIP or vice versa, or if you use WPA versus WPA2, or if you use a shorter pass phrase, does it make any difference in transfer speed? Those are experiments you can perform that might prove to be very illuminating to many people here.
I'll try playing around with it some, try WPA vs WPA2, different key (longer, shorter?), etc. As for signal strength, I get 97-100% on the wireless adapter, so that's not the issue,. As I said, everything held constant, just changing the encryption affects transfer speed, which I think is strange. I just wanted to see if this was unique to my case or if others had this issue as well.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Okay. No one will be able to help you then. What you describe is unique to you since it's technically not anything to do with WEP or WPA differences. The last variable is you then. Something else you are doing differently is causing it. What is different on the PC you are transferring to/from? Probably something on the PC. But, you've focused in on WEP versus WPA so any suggestion anyone gives you that says that's not the problem will be ignored. Sounds like you are only willing to accept suggestions or evidence that agree with your pre-determined cause. Good luck with your problem.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
It may be he was standing in front of his Tivo during test one or physically touching the transmitter on the Tivo.
dcstager is right that things like this can make a difference, and a significant one at that. When doing your tests, try to keep all other conditions, even seemingly silly ones, like where you are standing or sitting, the same.

A high number for signal strength can also sometimes be misleading. Lots of reflections can raise the signal strength and simultaneously lower the signal quality.

This is a whole different set of tests that you can also look into. Proceed with one set at a time and let the results guide you as to what to look at next. Best of luck
Old 01-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #17
rkcstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Okay. No one will be able to help you then. What you describe is unique to you since it's technically not anything to do with WEP or WPA differences. The last variable is you then. Something else you are doing differently is causing it. What is different on the PC you are transferring to/from? Probably something on the PC. But, you've focused in on WEP versus WPA so any suggestion anyone gives you that says that's not the problem will be ignored. Sounds like you are only willing to accept suggestions or evidence that agree with your pre-determined cause. Good luck with your problem.
Thanks for those condescending remarks. I always appreciate when someone subtly hints that they think I'm an idiot.

The problem is quite possibly my TiVo using the wireless adapter since it is about 5 years old now. I only guessed it had to do with the encryption since I only noticed this problem after changing over to WPA. It could quite possibly be something else and I am entirely open to that possibility. At this point, I'm still testing. I only asked to see if this has been an issue for anybody else since someone may already know if there is or is not a solution.