TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #151
Langree
The Gimp

Just to balance things, I've had it since beta w/o an issue.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #152
bitpusher

Heavy streaming Netflix user on my TiVo HD and 5Mbps DSL (mostly the old shows and documentaries that aren't HD anyway).

I've had a few reset problems early on when TiVo first offered the service, but no problems since. I think TiVo could make the interface faster and as user-friendly as the rest of the TiVo content, but it works well enough for me to sell my Roku and use TiVo exclusively for streaming.

It sounds there's a wide variety of experiences using this feature.
bitpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #153
chedlin
TiVo Addict

Having problems tonight. I tried to load netflix and it sat for 5-10 minutes on the please with screen. I rebooted the TiVo and then it kept getting an error trying to load the netflix queue.

Eventually it loaded the first few pages of the queue, but wouldn't let me scroll down without and error.. I moved what we wanted to watch to the top, and tried to play it. It has been on a grey screen for 15 minutes now.

My DSL connection is a tad unreliable. We have been getting long pauses, and they almost always correlate to the CRC error counter incrementing by 1 on the DSL modem, although I would hope the system would be able to recover a bit faster than it does. Sometimes it kicks me out of the show.

I never had a problem before I moved (had 15mbps cable before).
Series 3 300GB soon to get lifetime from Philips unit.
chedlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #154
WelshSage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedlin View Post
Having problems tonight. I tried to load netflix and it sat for 5-10 minutes on the please with screen. I rebooted the TiVo and then it kept getting an error trying to load the netflix queue.
I'm having the same problem. I tried deactivating the DVR from my Netflix account, but now I can't even activate it. It keeps throwing up error messages. This must be on Netflix's end.
WelshSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #155
sniperlv

Quote:

Eventually it loaded the first few pages of the queue, but wouldn't let me scroll down without and error.. I moved what we wanted to watch to the top, and tried to play it. It has been on a grey screen for 15 minutes now.

My DSL connection is a tad unreliable. We have been getting long pauses, and they almost always correlate to the CRC error counter incrementing by 1 on the DSL modem, although I would hope the system would be able to recover a bit faster than it does. Sometimes it kicks me out of the show.

Same problem here.
sniperlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #156
nguyej1

Quote:

I have same problem last night. It seems the problems is in Netflix side.
nguyej1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #157
apercer

I am pretty happy with the Netflix service. It will occasionally take my system down, but it works 95% of the time. It is great for watching TV series. I just wish they had a bigger selection.

What problems I do have seem to be Netflix issues or issues stemming from the type of Netflix content. Dexter season 2, episode 1 will always crash my Tivo. And then there is a host of content where the encoding is screwed up and the show plays fast then slow then stop then fast then slow. Really annoying and causes me to watch on the computer where it works, or actually get the DVD in the mail.
apercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #158
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by apercer View Post
What problems I do have seem to be Netflix issues or issues stemming from the type of Netflix content. Dexter season 2, episode 1 will always crash my Tivo.
If watching something crashes your TiVo, it's a TiVo issue. That particular show may trigger the problem, but what has to be fixed is the TiVo software - nothing you watch should make it crash.
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #159
DougJohnson

Quote:
I had my first-ever freeze, forcing a reboot on my S3 while watching Netflix last night. The Netflix menu and queue was slow to come up. When I selected a episode of MI-5, it was slow to start, then about 3 minutes into it, everything froze. The image on the screen was frozen, TiVo would not respond to the remote (not even flash the little light on the front panel), and the front panel clock froze. It was still frozen this morning. I pulled the plug and it rebooted just fine. -- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #160
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

It looks like it was a Netflix-wide problem last night - I tried for a few hours around 11:00PM before giving up.

My S3 hung forever and I had to pull the plug. Not my favorite experience. I agree that TiVo needs to do some work with bandwidth management and glitch handling but most of the time it's been great.

Now if they could expand the streaming selection ...

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #161
Allanon

Last night I was watching a Netflix show and it kept stopping and going back to the main Tivo menu. I would resume the Netflix show and everything would be fine for a while then it would do it again. It did this 4 times but the last time instead of going back to the Tivo menu it froze with a black screen. I had to pull the plug on the Tivo and reboot. Sadly, I was recording 2 shows at the time and they are now missing about 5 minutes because of the reboot. I've never really had any problems with Netflix in the past but the only thing I did differently this time was pause the Netflix show for a while do to a phone call. After that all the jumping to the main menu and freezing started. Wonder if that is what caused the problems?
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #162
pwhite8314

My Netflix was screwy over the weekend as well. A movie on Saturday night jumped back to the main Netflix screen 3 or 4 times, then last night trying to browse the Netflix queue it locked up the TiVoHD. A reboot fixed it, but it did exactly the same thing when I retried a little later. I left it overnight with the "please wait" banner, which was still there this morning. Have since rebooted and everything else is fine, but I've not gone back into Netflix.

Aside from that, never had any issues with Netflix.
pwhite8314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #163
morac
Cat God

Netflix had a streaming outage last night.

This effected Xbox 360, Roku, TiVo, etc. The difference between the other platforms and TiVo is that the other platforms don't lock up when Netflix has an outage.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #164
sriggins

I must say, I've given TiVo enough time. My subscription is up in april, and I will be looking at options.

My new XBOX 360 is much better at Netflix, and that sucks Every TiVo user I know hates the Netflix software, it is awful, it jerks, it lags, it pixelates, it crashes. And this is August, 2009.

Very, very bad black eye.

Add to that no email support on tivo.com (I came here instead!), really slow tivo search beta that still has not shipped as far as I can tell, goofy switching to other apps (the other search stuff) makes me believe the people who crafted the little box we loved have left the company.

I am not saying Comcast box or FIOS box are better, but I'll definitely be taking a look at them again. The main reason I'd likely stay on my S3 is that I have 750gb of space (500 external) which is very handy with HD.

I'd rather have fewer features that worked flawlessly. I'd also like to get rid of every #*&@*@&@* ad in the UI. That annoys me to no end.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #165
bitpusher

I have a TiVo HD and an xbox360. The only reason I don't use the xbox360 for Netflix streaming is its obnoxious fan noise. That is the xbox360's fatal flaw qua HTPC in my opinion.

Maybe Amazon will buy TiVo along with Netflix.
bitpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #166
Resist

I hate Netflix on my Tivo and will NEVER use it again! From now on I will watch Netflix on my XBox 360. And yes it sucks that Tivo doesn't have email support, as it makes no sense in this day and age.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #167
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriggins View Post
Every TiVo user I know hates the Netflix software, it is awful, it jerks, it lags, it pixelates, it crashes. And this is August, 2009.
This is a huge overstatement. I have never had any streaming issues except when Netflix itself is having problems. In that case, my XBox can't stream either. I certainly have never seen jerks or pixelation. If you are seeing something like this, then the problem is in the encoding of the video. My guess is if you are seeing constant problems, then many of them are probably caused by your setup or your ISP. The crash problem is certainly a huge issue that TiVo needs to fix ASAP. However, I have never found a video that my XBox can stream at a better quality than my TiVo.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #168
sriggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpusher View Post
I have a TiVo HD and an xbox360. The only reason I don't use the xbox360 for Netflix streaming is its obnoxious fan noise. That is the xbox360's fatal flaw qua HTPC in my opinion.

Maybe Amazon will buy TiVo along with Netflix.
I agree, even the jasper is too noisy but we moved everything into a vented closet lol, no more ps3, xbox, tivo external drive noise.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #169
sriggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
This is a huge overstatement. I have never had any streaming issues except when Netflix itself is having problems. In that case, my XBox can't stream either. I certainly have never seen jerks or pixelation. If you are seeing something like this, then the problem is in the encoding of the video. My guess is if you are seeing constant problems, then many of them are probably caused by your setup or your ISP. The crash problem is certainly a huge issue that TiVo needs to fix ASAP. However, I have never found a video that my XBox can stream at a better quality than my TiVo.
Sorry, look at the other two posts above you, the rest of this thread, and the four tivo s3 owners I know, they all hate it, and have all had issues.

And what you claim is BS - Just two nights ago tivo could not play anything, so we turned on the xbox and it worked flawlessly for three hours.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #170
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Quote:
Sorry, look at the other two posts above you, the rest of this thread, and the four tivo s3 owners I know, they all hate it, and have all had issues.

And what you claim is BS - Just two nights ago tivo could not play anything, so we turned on the xbox and it worked flawlessly for three hours.
TiVo does a great job from where I sit. Never have I had the issues you are talking about, and NetFlix + TiVo is why I have a TiVo - I was deciding between TiVo and the Roku. Spent the extra money and never looked back. I have no idea why some people keep having streaming problems, and maybe it somehow is TiVo's fault. NetFlix has always been great on my original style S3.

Either it is a manufacturing or part problem on some boxes or internet problems upstream from some subscribers. I would think if it was software we all would have it?
daveak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #171
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:

So if the TiVo is having problems and your XBox is not, it must be TiVo.. tho many of us who post here have zero issues..

No way it could be a router setting issue, or a connection difference between the two, or interferrence from other equipment, all of which have proven to be culprits in the past.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #172
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:

I have an S3, and use Netflix quite often with movies and TV series. I just got done watching the BBC version of The Office, and I'm in the middle of watching Heroes Season 3 with no issues. I did have a problem with "Joe Rogan: Live" awhile back where the audio was missing, but a call to Netflix, not Tivo, fixed it (eventually).

Of course it's going to look bad when checking out these forums, because people don't usually post things saying "Everything's A-OK!" Citing the example of those who posted in this thread entitled "Tivo+Netflix=worst implementation ever" would probably NOT represent the majority of people that use Tivo + Netflix. So your (and most that posted to this topic) setup sucks. That's too bad.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #173
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveak View Post
Either it is a manufacturing or part problem on some boxes or internet problems upstream from some subscribers. I would think if it was software we all would have it?
No, that doesn't follow. From the reports, it sounds like the problem may be related to network problems (as you say). However, network problems are hardly rare events that you would never expect - the TiVo should be able to deal with them, certainly in some way that's better than crashing. It seems it may be the case that if your network is working perfectly then everything is fine, but if not, the TiVo software can't recover or fail gracefully. That is a problem in the software.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #174
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
So your (and most that posted to this topic) setup sucks. That's too bad.
But even if the people who are having problems have a "setup that sucks," many of the problems they describe are things that SHOULD NOT HAPPEN, regardless of, for instance, network problems. Crashing because there was a network problem is a bug, plain and simple. It sounds like you're trying to blame the people who have problems, which is ridiculous.

Of course the TiVo Netflix software works for most people; if it was failing all the time, TiVo would have been able to fix it long ago (the more reproducible the problem, the easier it is to fix). But clearly the problems are there and affect enough people to at least fill up this thread...
Old 08-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #175
rainwater

Quote:
That makes no sense. Of course people that post here are going to be the ones with problems. Just look at the thread title.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 AM   #176
Allanon

Brainiac 5, I agree with you that the Tivo should handle errors better instead of crashing but you need to remember the Tivo was not built to be a Netflix streaming device like the Roku, it was an after thought. Also the Tivo isn't a powerful computer like the Xbox 360 so it might have to cut corners on the data checking in order to keep streaming speeds up. It takes time and CPU power to check all the data to make sure it is not flawed and maybe they needed to cut corners in order to get decent streaming speeds and not put a burden on the Tivo's CPU. Note that this is just a guess.

Last edited by Allanon : 08-11-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #177
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
It takes time and CPU power to check all the data to make sure it is not flawed and maybe they needed to cut corners in order to get decent streaming speeds and not put a burden on the Tivo's CPU.
That's possible, but if that's the reason then I'm not sure it was wise to put out the Netflix feature. Network errors will happen, it's just a matter of how often. So everyone would likely experience flaky behavior at some point (and in fact, there are posts by people saying it worked for months then stopped, or it almost always works but fails very occasionally).

On the other hand, I'm not sure why it should be so difficult. They already must be checking for errors in digital TV streams, since the TiVo never crashes when there's a glitch while watching TV.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #178
jafi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
So if the TiVo is having problems and your XBox is not, it must be TiVo.. tho many of us who post here have zero issues..

No way it could be a router setting issue, or a connection difference between the two, or interferrence from other equipment, all of which have proven to be culprits in the past.
I have both a S3 Tivo and a Roku Netflix box. My Tivo locked up and had to be rebooted. The Roku continued to work just fine, it would just tell me the movie wasn't available. I rebooted my router just in case, but it made no difference the Tivo promptly locked up when I accessed Netflix again. The Roku was streaming fine. My laptop wasn't having issues either though my understanding is Netflix streams from a different set of servers for web browser access.

The other thing the Tivo was having problems with were the podcasts and Listen365. It didn't lock up but they either weren't available or after they started playing I was suddenly dumped back in the main Now Playing menu.

Everything is running fine today and I haven't touched anything.
jafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #179
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac 5 View Post
On the other hand, I'm not sure why it should be so difficult. They already must be checking for errors in digital TV streams, since the TiVo never crashes when there's a glitch while watching TV.
My take on this (whether it's right or wrong), is that the TiVo simply takes in the incoming stream and dumps it directly to the decoder chip as is. The avc/h.264 decoding processing doesn't seem all that resilient, in that feeding it improperly encoded video or no video at all will cause the TiVo to simply lock up. This was demonstrated when programmers were trying to figure out how to write programs to stream to the TiVo. You can also demonstrate this by unplugging your router while streaming Netflix (this will almost definitely lock up the TiVo box).

Despite the lack of any 11.0x code being released, I think TiVo still runs linux. To lock up a linux box, you need to cause a hardware failure, driver failure or kernel panic. I think the TiVo reboots in the case of a kernel panic (at least I hope it would), so that would indicate a hardware or hardware driver failure. I would think it would be the decoder chip or its drives, but I've also seen lockups occur during downloads of Amazon HD video (even though the video isn't being played back). That would seem to indicate it might even be a network driver issue.

Whatever it is, I wish TiVo would make fixing it a high priority or tell us it can't be fixed (like was done with the S3 M-Card issue).
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #180
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Whatever it is, I wish TiVo would make fixing it a high priority or tell us it can't be fixed (like was done with the S3 M-Card issue).
Agreed!