TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #121
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Maybe I'm lucky... but I have never had an issue. I have been a Netflix sub for several years and bought my TiVo as it seemed to be one of the better options out there for making Netflix streaming a part of my Theatre system. I have been very happy (esp now that I have a DVR, can't see how I ever lived life w/o one).

Just in case you want to know, I have a Series 3 (original, unmodified) connected to my network with a Cat 5e cable. My router is a Belkin 'N' wireless (it also has cable ports) behind a firewall to a 3Mbs DSL. Works great. I've never had Netflix HD, but all the bars consistently light up and the PQ is certainly acceptable. Certainly not Blu-ray, but at least standard DVD quality.

We all know network issues can be intermittent, especially with wireless. For those of you with trouble, you may want to try an actual cable (and yes, they can become damaged I had one a desktop was connected to and it was a nightmare to diagnose - I only found it cause I moved the desktop and needed a longer cable and my connection problems went away) and make sure everything else on your network is turned OFF.

If you have to stay wireless, not only make sure everything is off, but make sure your network is fully secure and not being used by someone else. If you are not using network security on a wireless system and have occasional issues with streaming or downloading, you may not be the only person using your account. Older routers, especially those with firmware that has never been updated, are vulnerable - even if they have network security. Anything less than WAP2 security on a wireless router leaves you vulnerable.

These are good issues to take care of before you spend a lot of time trying to troubleshoot your internet provider or Netflix.
daveak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #122
angel35

I have two tivos.The HDXL does not show Netflicxon the other hd tivo it does.Why one but not the other??? This is on the now playing list

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #123
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel35 View Post
I have two tivos.The HDXL does not show Netflicxon the other hd tivo it does.Why one but not the other??? This is on the now playing list
Sounds like someone in your household removed it.

You can re-enable it under Video On Demand -> Netflix.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #124
grenex

I use it often. The interface is a bit slow, but it has NEVER crashed on me at all.
grenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #125
Oldandslow
"Old" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium View Post
Well I've officially been bitten in the ass by the Tivo Netflix feature. Lost internet for a few minutes while watching superbad and it locked up the Tivo completely. I lost the last 5 minutes of 2 of my favorite shows. Add to that at least 1/2 of the stuff I've tried to watch still has audio sync issues.

Nevermind "free", the Netflix feature is downright offensive. No internet dependent feature on any device should ever have the ability to bring down the whole system. I get that it originally had a few bugs, but it's been like 5 months now. There's no excuse for how poorly this is implemented.
Couldn't agree more. I've given up on watching Netflix with my Series 3 and now use my Xbox 360 for that feature. The Xbox 360 never has a problem with Netflix. Now, if I could do something about the noise the Xbox 360 makes when watching movies!

Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD
Tivo Series HD [500GB eSATA Expansion]Lifetime
Tivo Series 3 [750GB eSATA Expansion]Lifetime
Oldandslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #126
plateau10

I can't believe how long this has continued to be a problem. I've had TiVo (through DirecTV) since 2000 and it's been rock solid. I suspect my DSR6000 would still work like a champ if I hooked it up. I'm shocked that there's a fairly common scenario that completely locks up the box and hasn't been fixed in all this time.

The WAF of the TiVo HD took a huge hit yesterday when my kids were watching a Netflix stream and it locked up the box (I'm actually fairly well convinced the TiVo is what took out the network--the wired desktop couldn't even get to the router's admin page until I reset the router. That's happened twice now since the TiVo has joined the network less than two weeks ago).
plateau10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #127
parzec
Wizard of Oz

Been reading this thread for some time, and never experienced a problem until last night. Had trouble starting up a movie -- long pause until I finally gave up. Backed out of the Netflix App and was able to use other Tvo features just fine. Started a movie this morning just fine but after hitting pause it wouldn't start up. Tried several times but would get "error connecting to Netflix server" message. Backed out of the app then did a reset from the menu -- at which point got stuck at Powering Up/Wait a few Minutes More loop. Pulled the plug, rebotted - same thing. Pullled plug again and fit inally booted up. Netflix is working now and i m currently watching a movie, but obviouly the problem that existed in 12/08 is still a problem today.
HR10-250 - Un-Subbed
parzec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #128
proudx

Quote:
Originally Posted by parzec View Post
Been reading this thread for some time, and never experienced a problem until last night. Had trouble starting up a movie -- long pause until I finally gave up. Backed out of the Netflix App and was able to use other Tvo features just fine. Started a movie this morning just fine but after hitting pause it wouldn't start up. Tried several times but would get "error connecting to Netflix server" message. Backed out of the app then did a reset from the menu -- at which point got stuck at Powering Up/Wait a few Minutes More loop. Pulled the plug, rebotted - same thing. Pullled plug again and fit inally booted up. Netflix is working now and i m currently watching a movie, but obviouly the problem that existed in 12/08 is still a problem today.
We have been problem free until last night when the stream froze and the s3 rebooted, lucky for us it didn't get stuck on boot up but this has me concerned.

Does tivo have a plan to fix this?
proudx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #129
davidwadesmith

Here in the last few weeks, I've noticed for Netflix HD content streaming, it might pause / re-buffer once to three times during the show, but otherwise, things were ok.

Last night, on the 6th pause (never seen it pause so much), the picture blanked, and after several minutes, I saw a "Please wait..." kind of dialog, but several minutes later, it still hadn't budged. The Tivo was unresponsive to any remote command, so I figured it was locked up.

Since removing the power, the unit has been stuck in a reboot loop that occassionally makes it to a stuttering Tivo menu, but eventually reboots again. I've only tried kickstart 57 so far, but after 20 mins or so, it looked like it was back to rebooting, and I had to leave the house.

I remembered reading a post about the netflix server not being able to make a connection, or networking being down as being a potential cause for the reboot loop, but it doesn't seem to be the case here. After rebooting the Tivo, I went to my other TivoHD to finish the show, and everything was peachy there (except that it didn't remember where I was in the stream -- no big deal).

I'm hoping I'll be able to recover with a kickstart at most. I can't imagine that Netflix killed my Tivo / hard drive, and I don't want to think my 1TB drive is trying to meet its maker. Crossing fingers for tonight's troubleshooting foray.

Are others seeing the pausing / re-buffering behavior for HD content streaming lately?
davidwadesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #130
wackymann

All of these horror stories has convinced me not to join Netflix. If/when I stop hearing these stories, I will probably become a member. I know it's probably more Tivo's fault, but whatever - there's no way I am willing to risk messing up my Tivo. I have come to depend on my Tivo S3 - coming up on 3 years since I bought it.
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #131
davidwadesmith

Hmm... Maybe this doesn't have anything to do with Netflix after all. I've tried Kickstart 57, 58, 52, and 54, all to no avail. TivoHD starts to boot, gets to green screen for 5 seconds or so, then reboots, rinses, and repeats.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #132
diskus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwadesmith View Post
Hmm... Maybe this doesn't have anything to do with Netflix after all. I've tried Kickstart 57, 58, 52, and 54, all to no avail. TivoHD starts to boot, gets to green screen for 5 seconds or so, then reboots, rinses, and repeats.
Never had a problem, dont use it much though simply because of lack of HD content
diskus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #133
jtreid

Angry

Quote:
Here in the last few weeks, I've noticed for Netflix HD content streaming, it might pause / re-buffer once to three times during the show, but otherwise, things were ok.

Last night, on the 6th pause (never seen it pause so much), the picture blanked, and after several minutes, I saw a "Please wait..." kind of dialog, but several minutes later, it still hadn't budged. The Tivo was unresponsive to any remote command, so I figured it was locked up.

Since removing the power, the unit has been stuck in a reboot loop that occassionally makes it to a stuttering Tivo menu, but eventually reboots again. I've only tried kickstart 57 so far, but after 20 mins or so, it looked like it was back to rebooting, and I had to leave the house.

I remembered reading a post about the netflix server not being able to make a connection, or networking being down as being a potential cause for the reboot loop, but it doesn't seem to be the case here. After rebooting the Tivo, I went to my other TivoHD to finish the show, and everything was peachy there (except that it didn't remember where I was in the stream -- no big deal).

I'm hoping I'll be able to recover with a kickstart at most. I can't imagine that Netflix killed my Tivo / hard drive, and I don't want to think my 1TB drive is trying to meet its maker. Crossing fingers for tonight's troubleshooting foray.

Are others seeing the pausing / re-buffering behavior for HD content streaming lately?
At this point, I'm practically giving up on Tivo/Netflix. I have Comcast 25mbs and for the last several nights, I can sometimes get Heros S3 going HD for a few minutes, the thing stops, rebuffers, I lose a few bars on the PQ and then I get a stretched screen that is barely watchable. That is, when I can even get the thing playing in the first place. Sometimes I have to watch something else, go back and then start Heros and it will sometimes work. Last night it even booted me back to the NP menu twice. I had two reboots out of the blue while watching netflix one night this past weekend. I finally got a show going and paused for a quick break, came back, it rebuffered and the same horrible PQ. All the stuttering, rebuffering, rebooting and ridiculously bad PQ is a waste of my time.

I agree with the title of this thread that this is the most ridiculous implementation I've ever seen too. I just can't watch it anymore. I got Netflix for this new feature and it has been a crap shoot ever since if it will work when I want to watch something. With the limited HD content and the fact that I get this bad PQ, I'm having more pain than not. I'm at my wits end and I'm tired of my family asking why it's not working.
1 x S3 w/1TB Internal (1-Scard)
1 x Pioneer 810HS w/500G
jtreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #134
aaronwt
HD Addict

No problems here with netflix on the two TiVoHD and two S3 boxes I'm using it with.
My other two boxes are 360's that i use it with.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #135
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Quote:
Bet if you replace your HD things will work out for you...

Signed.... A happy and content NetFlix user on TiVo.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #136
jadziedzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymann View Post
All of these horror stories has convinced me not to join Netflix. If/when I stop hearing these stories, I will probably become a member. I know it's probably more Tivo's fault, but whatever - there's no way I am willing to risk messing up my Tivo.
Netflix is not the issue here, so don't blame them. For $99 you can buy a Roku player that basically just *works* - plus, it has a much better user interface than TiVo. Or you can buy an LG or Samsung Blu-Ray disc player that includes Netflix streaming capability. I've abandoned TiVo in favor of the Roku player (which I owned before I bought my TiVo S3).

Tony
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #137
Raj
Irie member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreid View Post
At this point, I'm practically giving up on Tivo/Netflix. I have Comcast 25mbs and for the last several nights, I can sometimes get Heros S3 going HD for a few minutes, the thing stops, rebuffers, I lose a few bars on the PQ and then I get a stretched screen that is barely watchable. That is, when I can even get the thing playing in the first place. Sometimes I have to watch something else, go back and then start Heros and it will sometimes work. Last night it even booted me back to the NP menu twice. I had two reboots out of the blue while watching netflix one night this past weekend. I finally got a show going and paused for a quick break, came back, it rebuffered and the same horrible PQ. All the stuttering, rebuffering, rebooting and ridiculously bad PQ is a waste of my time.

I agree with the title of this thread that this is the most ridiculous implementation I've ever seen too. I just can't watch it anymore. I got Netflix for this new feature and it has been a crap shoot ever since if it will work when I want to watch something. With the limited HD content and the fact that I get this bad PQ, I'm having more pain than not. I'm at my wits end and I'm tired of my family asking why it's not working.
Are you sure it's not Comcast throttling you back? I know they have some funky new network management stuff now.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #138
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj View Post
Are you sure it's not Comcast throttling you back? I know they have some funky new network management stuff now.

That problem certainly doesn't occur on my FIOS connection. Even my girlfriends slow DSL connection works fine with the TiVo and Netflix.(although her DSL speed is only 768kbs so she can't get HD, but the quality is consistent unless you try downloading something else with another device on the INTERNET connection, then it drops down to the lowest quality.)
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #139
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Even if it is jtreid's internet connection, that still leaves some problems that shouldn't happen, like rebooting. A bad or slow connection certainly should not cause the TiVo to reboot!

Also, there are people reporting the same problems who can stream fine with the Roku player, XBox, etc., just not the TiVo.
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #140
jtreid

Quote:
They don't throttle me back when I stream it to my PC. It works wonderfully on the PC. In fact, I can stream something and surf at the same time with no issues at all.

And like was stated earlier, this is not the only problem and I'm not the only one having it. Further, throttling has nothing to do with just starting the stream and I shouldn't be getting all the connection errors. It's just a hokey implementation .
1 x S3 w/1TB Internal (1-Scard)
1 x Pioneer 810HS w/500G
jtreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #141
Resist

I have Charter Cable and the last few days of using the Netflix stream with my Tivo have been terrible. It must has stopped to retrieve 10 times during each 1 hour movie. It was so frustrating and I was so mad last night I was ready to cancel Netflix!

The funny thing is I don't have this issue at all when using Netflix via my XBox 360. So it seems to be a Tivo issue and not so much a Netflix or Charter problem.

Tivo if you can't properly support the technology, then get out of that business! Maybe you ought to just stick with what you do well.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #142
chazas

I have had Netflix refuse to connect - which has then frozen most of the Tivo features - a couple of times, where a reboot was required. I have encountered a couple of movies with bad sound synchronization, but have not checked on the computer to see if the issues were specific to TiVo. Other than that, I've had no problems with my S3 - with FIOS I never get any pauses for buffering. I really like having such a large catalog of programming available on demand.
chazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #143
davidwadesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveak View Post
Bet if you replace your HD things will work out for you...

Signed.... A happy and content NetFlix user on TiVo.
I took out the hard drive, and have run many diagnostic tests on it while attached to a computer (ATA Firmware Self Tests, RWRCs, Verify tests, etc.). Every test passes.

In the meantime, I've restored my original TivoHD image onto a different drive, and have been testing the rest of the Tivo hardware. So far, no problems.

I intend to put the 1TB drive back in tonight, hoping it was just image corruption on the drive that spun it off into the ditch. I wonder if a recent problem with my power lines could be a contributing factor. About a month ago, the power went out for a while, then came on again, and repeated about 6 times over the next hour. The Tivo was attached to a UPS, but I wonder if the UPS was somehow in a weakened state, and not providing as much protection as it otherwise might have (because the battery may have been too low to keep the Tivo up with the constant cycling -- not sure -- couldn't get myself out of bed to check it out )

The question I'm facing now is whether I think that the drive may have some intermittent flakiness about it, or whether the power situation may have been a quasi-freak accident, or whether the Netflix lockup may have caused some corruption. I don't want to re-install this freshly re-imaged drive, only to have to face a similar problem in the future...
Old 08-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #144
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
I took out the hard drive, and have run many diagnostic tests on it while attached to a computer (ATA Firmware Self Tests, RWRCs, Verify tests, etc.). Every test passes.

In the meantime, I've restored my original TivoHD image onto a different drive, and have been testing the rest of the Tivo hardware. So far, no problems.

I intend to put the 1TB drive back in tonight, hoping it was just image corruption on the drive that spun it off into the ditch. I wonder if a recent problem with my power lines could be a contributing factor. About a month ago, the power went out for a while, then came on again, and repeated about 6 times over the next hour. The Tivo was attached to a UPS, but I wonder if the UPS was somehow in a weakened state, and not providing as much protection as it otherwise might have (because the battery may have been too low to keep the Tivo up with the constant cycling -- not sure -- couldn't get myself out of bed to check it out )

The question I'm facing now is whether I think that the drive may have some intermittent flakiness about it, or whether the power situation may have been a quasi-freak accident, or whether the Netflix lockup may have caused some corruption. I don't want to re-install this freshly re-imaged drive, only to have to face a similar problem in the future...
My experience suggests that drive problems aren't always physical in nature - the contents gets corrupted somehow. I've had drive problems in the past that I solved by restoring an image instead of replacing the drive.

That's not to say that all problems are corruption-related - that's just my personal experience.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #145
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Let us know if it works, cycling on and off like that (assuming your UPS battery did not have enough juice to keep up) is not exactly a recipe for drive health, or even other components. We all know (don't we ) that it's a bad idea to repeatedly hard cycle a computer like that - and your TiVo is basically a computer - good to see you are protecting it with a UPS like you would a computer.

Quote:

Old 08-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #146
Resist

After using Netflix on my XBox 360 last night, I didn't have one issue. Even rewind and fast forward were much more responsive. I will never watch Netflix movies on my Tivo Series 3 again. I don't understand why Tivo can't fix the connection issues with Netflix. Had it not been for my XBox 360, I would have canceled my Netflix streaming service because my experience with it and Tivo have been terrible.

Tivo are you listening?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #147
cogx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
After using Netflix on my XBox 360 last night, I didn't have one issue. Even rewind and fast forward were much more responsive. I will never watch Netflix movies on my Tivo Series 3 again. I don't understand why Tivo can't fix the connection issues with Netflix.

Yep, same story in my house and both my TiVo and 360 run ethernet to my router, so it isn't a wireless problem. The Xbox 360's Netflix streaming code appears to just be superior to TiVo's current implementation and I've read that the upcoming Xbox software update is going to make it even better. Unfortunately, compared to my S3, the 360 is a noisy beast with an annoying green glow in the dark.
cogx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:11 AM   #148
Resist

I have an early XBox 360 that isn't noisy. I must have lucked out.

I really wish though that Tivo would stop dragging their feet and fix the Netflix issue.

Last edited by Resist : 08-07-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #149
BarryD99

NetFlix on my TivoHD works ok 95% of the time.

I think the worst Tivo implementation is Rhapsody. Both companies should be ashamed.
BarryD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #150
jakerome

Add my voice to those that suffer from never-ending problems with TiVo/Netflix. Freezes for minutes at a time, requires a reboot, then doesn't connect to Netflix. F'in A! It's embarrassing for me, since I've recommended to friends that they get TiVoes because of the NetFlix. Never again-- I'll tell them to buy a Roku.

Halfway through an episode tonight, it crashed my TiVo. Now it won't reconnect. TiVo is supposed to make life easier, not more complicated.
jakerome is offline   Reply With Quote