TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #301
Distortedloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I still believe you have some kind of network or server related issue, but without another test reference point such as you having another TiVo to test with or trying a different ISP there's no way to tell for sure. I highly doubt it's cache related since HME applications don't cache, at least not on the client (TiVo box) side.

All signs point to either a communication issue with the TiVo servers or a problem with TiVo server itself. There's nothing that makes me believe your S3 is malfunctioning since the Netflix, YouTube, TiVo Search, etc apps all run on the TiVo Servers. Your TiVo is just acting as a dumb terminal.
Are you sure there's no cacheing? Not arguing, it's just too coincidental that it works fine for some time after paging a screen, but 24-48 hours later it's back to unacceptable times. Also, NetFlix improves with recent use, but YouTube and TiVo Search don't, suggesting that NetFlix acts differently. However, I did point out the other day that changes made to my queue order were reflected instantly in the TiVo, so that points against cacheing.

My pings to what I believe are the TiVo servers ip address were 22ms, and traceroute only a a dozen hops if I recall correctly. (Does anyone have a definitive ip address for the TiVo servers? All I could get with a google search seems like it might actually be tivocommunity site, not the actual VOD servers.)

No other TiVo here to test, but you've convinced me I do still need to try another network connection. The best I can do in that regard is try to tap into my neighbors wireless, but my attempt to do that the other day was unsuccessful (old Linksys I had won't act as a bridge). I'll have to re-task my Apple Airport that's next to the TiVo to give it a try.
Distortedloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #302
DocNo

Arrow

I like the controls and the potential of the functionality of Tivo's implementation, but like most things on my original S3, the interface is so slow as to basically make it unusable

I have a new Tivo HD I just scored yesterday so I may give it a whirl again.

Performance wise it works perfectly on the Xbox360 - but the controls aren't near as nice as Tivo's - and I have to find the Xbox remote or use the controller. I would love the convenience factor of Tivo if it just worked worth a flip.

Plus the recent update to the Xbox360 that lets you browse for movies outside of your instant que is very, very nice....
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #303
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortedloop View Post
Are you sure there's no cacheing?
I'm not 100% certain, but the TiVo has a limited out of memory and it wouldn't make sense to waste that caching the Netflix queue. The Netflix queue could be cached on the server side, but since the queue can change (like you said) that doesn't make much sense either.

Also ping/traceroute would only tell you if there's a problem between you and the TiVo Servers. There's other problems that could occur. To give you an example, I was having horrible download times with Amazon VoD. I'm talking 8 hours to download a 2 hour movie. Pings and traces were all fine. It turned out that there was an issue on the return path from the Limelight server I was downloading from. Once that was fixed I could download even HD faster than real-time.

If you haven't tried contacting TiVo, I'd do so since they might be able to check if there is a problem on their end.

Edit:

I just remembered a way you can test if it's your connection or not. Add the Apps.tv HME application and some of its applications and see how fast they load. If it's quick, then you know it's not a problem on your end.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #304
Distortedloop

Quote:
I'm not 100% certain, but the TiVo has a limited out of memory and it wouldn't make sense to waste that caching the Netflix queue. The Netflix queue could be cached on the server side, but since the queue can change (like you said) that doesn't make much sense either.
Well, there's definitely some kind of cacheing someplace, whether it makes sense or not. I haven't touched this stuff for a week or so, and same old problems. First time I load NetFlix or TiVo it takes 90 seconds or so to get the app loaded, but if I exit back to live TV, then go back to the web app, any screen I looked at before loads up pretty quickly.

Maybe the cache is on the hard drive, not the memory...?

[quote=morac;7518431]If you haven't tried contacting TiVo, I'd do so since they might be able to check if there is a problem on their end.

Edit:

Quote:
I just remembered a way you can test if it's your connection or not. Add the Apps.tv HME application and some of its applications and see how fast they load. If it's quick, then you know it's not a problem on your end.
All those apps load up instantly, or under 10 seconds on one of them. The Flickr app is a bit sluggish to browse through photos, enough so to make me not interested in using that app even if I were interested in browsing random Flickr accounts, but much faster than YouTube or NetFlix or the Video Podcast menus.

I posted this link in another thread, but it seems that this slowness is not uncommon: http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2009-07/...earch-is-slow/

Yeah, a call to TiVo is in order.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #305
Brainiac 5

Quote:
I posted this link in another thread, but it seems that this slowness is not uncommon: http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2009-07/...earch-is-slow/
Unfortunately, I think HME was a huge mistake. Because it has to go to the net for every button press, HME is very laggy for many people.
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #306
Distortedloop

Quote:
My NetFlix on TiVo experience:

Horribly slow. It takes 90 seconds to 2 minutes for any menu to come up (video can be posted on YouTube if desired). This means a minimum of 2 minutes to just get to the first page of the watch instantly queue. 2 more minutes of painful waiting to get the next page of listings if your selection isn't on the first page....
I'm back to report that this issue has finally been resolved. NetFlix and the TiVo Search beta are both snappy and a pleasure to use now.

Believe it or not, all it took was to go to the settings screen and RESTART the TiVo from that menu!

Please note that I had rebooted the TiVo on more than one occasion by pulling the plug out of the wall when the system was so slow to respond that it appeared locked up. Why a RESTART rather than a POWER OFF reboot was required blows my mind, but there it is.

I suggest anyone with this issue who might come across this thread try a RESTART.

It was the TiVo support phone number that gave me the idea. I didn't actually talk to anyone, but while on hold waiting in the queue the recording advised most issues can be fixed by restarting from the restart menu. I figured I better try it that way before a real life person asked if I had. Glad I did; sorry that I assumed power off was same as programmed restart.

Thanks to everyone who responded trying to help me figure this out.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #307
Puppy76

Huh. I wonder what on Earth happened? You'd think it would process anything the same, although of course restarting might have shut down tasks it does before hand that don't get done otherwise, or something.
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #308
Distortedloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy76 View Post
Huh. I wonder what on Earth happened? You'd think it would process anything the same, although of course restarting might have shut down tasks it does before hand that don't get done otherwise, or something.
Yep, that would seem to be the difference, or just dumb coincidence.

What annoys me most about myself is that the first thing I tell any friend who calls with computer, iPhone, DVR, etc problems is "Try rebooting and see if that fixes it," and I feel like somehow I didn't follow my own advice.

Although in my own defense, I considered a power cycling to be a reboot. LOL
Old 10-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #309
vccat

Tested Netflix on my Tivo HD today. It locked up solid the first time. The 2nd try worked, but the interface is really bad when compared with my Xbox 360!!!

I think I will stick with using the 360 for Netflix...
vccat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:38 AM   #310
net114
Tivolitic Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vccat View Post
Tested Netflix on my Tivo HD today. It locked up solid the first time. The 2nd try worked, but the interface is really bad when compared with my Xbox 360!!!

I think I will stick with using the 360 for Netflix...
Yeh, the 360 with it's "cover flow" like implementation is way slick, but for those people who don't have a 360, let's hope Tivo continues to improve the interface.
net114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #311
Puppy76

I thought the interface was excellent, and it tries to still support jump back and things like that.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #312
redtiger

I'll never buy tivo again

I'll never buy Tivo, again. I recently upgraded my router from a D-Link 802.11b router to a Belkin 802.11g router, and now my Netflix queue takes 30-45 seconds to load each page. That is unacceptable.

Just to vent on other problems, before I got HD channels, my Tivo would constantly get a gray screen and need to be restarted to work. I called Tivo multiple times, and they always said they were working the issue and should have it fixed in a few weeks.

I also saw in this forum that someone had problems watching Netflix movies, and Tivo told them to periodically try again over the next few weeks.

Seriously, Tivo?!? Do they only have one programmer who's working on getting his high school diploma working issues for them? I will never buy a Tivo DVR, again.
redtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #313
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtiger View Post
I'll never buy Tivo, again. I recently upgraded my router from a D-Link 802.11b router to a Belkin 802.11g router, and now my Netflix queue takes 30-45 seconds to load each page. That is unacceptable.

Just to vent on other problems, before I got HD channels, my Tivo would constantly get a gray screen and need to be restarted to work. I called Tivo multiple times, and they always said they were working the issue and should have it fixed in a few weeks.

I also saw in this forum that someone had problems watching Netflix movies, and Tivo told them to periodically try again over the next few weeks.

Seriously, Tivo?!? Do they only have one programmer who's working on getting his high school diploma working issues for them? I will never buy a Tivo DVR, again.
K then. Bye!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #314
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtiger View Post
Wait...what?

"I changed my router and my TiVo's net load time got slower, I blame the TiVo."

You work for the Geek Squad? Supervisor?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #315
morac
Cat God

I'm seeing problems with TiVo's servers tonight. For example VOD and Search Beta are taking forever to load. Netflix loads pretty quickly, but it might be affecting using Netflix.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #316
Puppy76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Wait...what?

"I changed my router and my TiVo's net load time got slower, I blame the TiVo."

You work for the Geek Squad? Supervisor?
Yeaaaaaaaah....

Both of my Tivos (Series 2 and HD XL) have been running flawlessly for years. I will say I had bad luck with Netflix, but then I didn't buy my HD XL for Netflix, and there are far cheaper devices I can run that on if I wanted to.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #317
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy76 View Post
Yeaaaaaaaah....

Both of my Tivos (Series 2 and HD XL) have been running flawlessly for years. I will say I had bad luck with Netflix, but then I didn't buy my HD XL for Netflix, and there are far cheaper devices I can run that on if I wanted to.
Point being, he changed out his router and blamed his TiVo for the increased load times.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #318
Puppy76

Right, yeah, I was attempting to convey my confusion over blaming the Tivo :-D