TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
tlw_2

TiVo slide remote - Series 3

I received back to back defective slide remotes. The first was erratic, once performing a "live tv" while I was watching a recording. The remote was not even in my hand, I heard a PING - Live TV. Once it locked down and I had to remove a battery to revive it. The second would never pair... period. Just wouldn't do it. Some of the anomalies I experienced with the first remote- the one that actually - functioned could possibly be software related, I admit. I'm running the latest version of 11.xx. Anyone else have experience with Series 3/Slide Remote combination?
tlw_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
deandashl

I've gotta HD XL.

My only issue is that the IR is more "directional" than the old remote was.

Otherwise I'm VERY happy.
deandashl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
nobodygrrl

My remote is extremely sensitive, especially the channel up/down and TV power buttons.
nobodygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
osoc2

Hate my slide remote with series 3

I thought it was woking fine and stupidly threw the box away. It has such a delay and erratic response. I did what tivo said to do and used the USB extension cable (why?), re-paired the remote, and took the batteries out and put them, back in. Nothing. I think this is the first time I have ever really said bad things about tivo. I would return it if I could. A total waste. I have gone back to the old remote.
osoc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
tlw_2

That is exactly the way mine was behaving. I do not believe the software version for Series 3 is really optimized for the slide remote. My guess: Another half baked product pushed out the door during Tom Rodger's watch. TiVo has serious core issues that just do not seem to being going away.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
Resist

Oh man, I don't want to hear about issues with the Slide Remote and the Series 3 Tivo. I was planning to purchase another Slide Remote specifically for my Series 3, after liking how it worked with my Tivo HD.

Please say this news is just a bad dream.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
jbernardis

I have one for use with my series 3 and I am quite happy with it.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
robin50

My mother has one Series3 unit in her house. I split the HDMI so that it drives a TV in her living room (the TiVo is located there) and a TV in her bedroom. The Powermid IR transmitter/receiver setup I had installed to get the IR to the TiVo was not completely reliable so today I got a slider and gave it a try. I put the dongle directly in the back of the TiVo and although it worked somewhat, it was not rock solid. I then placed the dongle on a USB extension so as to eliminate one intervening wall (and the blockage of the TiVo itself) and now it works perfectly. Every keystroke is registered very responsively and I view this installation as a complete and resounding success. The distance is about 20 feet through one wall.
robin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
tlw_2

Bluetooth does not require a line of sight. Therefore, the USB extension cable should only needed in extreme cases- at least that is my opinion. What's my point? Why sacrifice elegance in exchange for function when I have seen many bluetooth products work well without having to do anything but plugin a small receiver. Also, I'm thinking TiVo has some manufacturing quality issues happening with the slide remote. The second(also defective) one I had, the "live tv" button would stick in downward position when pressed. I suspect some will be happy with this remote and some will receive poor performing junk.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
tootal2

I think its the best remote ever works fine on my tivo hd. but i hope i dont wear the slide out.
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote