TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Mindflux
TiVowned

MRV confusion?

I have a Series 2 and a TivoHD both on wireless. Right now, I know the TiVoHD can see the stuff recorded on the S2 box, but when I check the S2 box it says my TiVoHD doesn't have any shows recorded on it.

It does, I assure you. Some aren't even HD.. so they should be 'playable' on the S2 box.

Does it take time to sync up? How does that work?
Mindflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
TomJHansen

Make sure that both have made daily calls since setting the names on Tivo.com and enabling the transfers.
TomJHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
jjberger2134

A reboot of both machines sometimes clears up this problem.

Otherwise, make sure on TiVo.com that both machines are on your account, have the same MAK, and as said above, make sure the transfers enabled box is checked.

If you recently added the second box to your account you may have to wait up to 72 hours (at least that is the time I have heard) to allow time for the boxes to sync up with one another.
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10
jjberger2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
bkdtv

Keep in mind that no shows recorded from a HD channel will be available for transfer to a TiVo Series2. It doesn't matter whether the program itself was originally in SD or HD; if it was recorded from a HD channel, it can't be transferred to a Series2.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #5
Mindflux
TiVowned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Keep in mind that no shows recorded from a HD channel will be available for transfer to a TiVo Series2. It doesn't matter whether the program itself was originally in SD or HD; if it was recorded from a HD channel, it can't be transferred to a Series2.
Right. But this is simply saying NO recordings. I know there are several SD recordings that should show up.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
Mindflux
TiVowned

Ok, I rebooted the S2 box and it still doesn't see the TiVoHD. I even recorded something off a S.D channel to check... no luck there. The THD does see the S2 recordings though. Both devices are in good standing on the same account.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Ben_Jamin75

What software version do each of the boxes have?
If the TiVoHD is new, it needs to update to 9.4 or 11 first.
Ben_Jamin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
Mindflux
TiVowned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Jamin75 View Post
What software version do each of the boxes have?
If the TiVoHD is new, it needs to update to 9.4 or 11 first.
TiVOHD has 11 and the S2 has 9.2.1 or something like that?
Old 12-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
bedelman
Call me Bob

I'm not sure if this would cause this to happen or not, but you might want to check the "Transfers Enabled" setting on Manage My Account. You can also go into the Advanced Troubleshooting screen on both TiVo boxes (press zero followed by Thumbs Down while on the Now Playing List). The AT screen will show whether the TiVo has Transfers Enabled (shown at the top of the screen) as well as all the TiVo boxes on your account.

It might also be worthwhile to go into System Information and see if they show a,a,a next to the TiVoToGo line.

- Bob

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #10
Mindflux
TiVowned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedelman View Post
I'm not sure if this would cause this to happen or not, but you might want to check the "Transfers Enabled" setting on Manage My Account. You can also go into the Advanced Troubleshooting screen on both TiVo boxes (press zero followed by Thumbs Down while on the Now Playing List). The AT screen will show whether the TiVo has Transfers Enabled (shown at the top of the screen) as well as all the TiVo boxes on your account.

It might also be worthwhile to go into System Information and see if they show a,a,a next to the TiVoToGo line.

- Bob
Transfers are enabled on both. There's a TiVO help file that says if that wasn't enabled the TiVo would alert me as to that's the reason why I can't get to it.

I'll check the other stuff. The HD can read the S2 all day long, which is what's odd.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
Ok, I rebooted the S2 box and it still doesn't see the TiVoHD.
Did you reboot both Tivos as jjberger suggested or just the S2?
Old 12-25-2008, 02:36 PM   #12
Mindflux
TiVowned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Did you reboot both Tivos as jjberger suggested or just the S2?
I have not rebooted the TiVoHD yet, though I have a feeling a power spike did that anyway. Whenever we have a little power outage or brown out my AppleTV turns on (which it was).

Edit* Both are rebooted, still no love.

Last edited by Mindflux : 12-25-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #13
bkdtv

Are you sure the SD recordings on the TiVo aren't copy protected? Select a SD recording on the TivoHD and click the INFO button; you will see a copy protection warning if it is protected and unavailable for transfer.

Alternatively, you can connect to your TiVo with TiVo Desktop and/or through the web (https://yourtivoip/) to see if those recordings are protected.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #14
Mindflux
TiVowned

Quote:
Are you sure the SD recordings on the TiVo aren't copy protected? Select a SD recording on the TivoHD and click the INFO button; you will see a copy protection warning if it is protected and unavailable for transfer.

Alternatively, you can connect to your TiVo with TiVo Desktop and/or through the web (https://yourtivoip/) to see if those recordings are protected.

According to TiVo help pages copy protected content shows with a red x mark but still shows In the mrv npl list. But no. It's not all copy protected.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #15
Ben_Jamin75

Could be a network issue. Try restarting your router.
Ben_Jamin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #16
Mindflux
TiVowned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Jamin75 View Post
Could be a network issue. Try restarting your router.
That'd be an odd one. The videos flow freely from the S2 to the THD but not vice versa (the S2 doesn't think the THD has any).

Here's a few unprotected content that the S2 should be able to stream. Not recorded on Disc HD, not HD content either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (17.9 KB, 87 views)
Old 12-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #17
Mindflux
TiVowned

Here's another oddity.

If I'm on the S2 and I select my THD in the NPL, and his select again very quickly I'll actually browse into the group for one of my shows. It says 0 are available to play, and if I go back it still says that my THD has no shows for me to view. That's a real weird one.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #18
Mindflux
TiVowned

Recorded PBS in 480i and still no dice.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #19
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Recorded PBS in 480i and still no dice.
If it's not showing anything, it's not going to be anything to do with format, copy protection, etc.

Anything on what shows on the Advanced Troubleshooting screens (on both boxes) as well as what shows next to TiVoToGo on the System Information screen?

Do both boxes show a Media Access Key when you go to the Media Access Key screen on the TiVo itself?

- Bob

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
Old 12-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #20
Mindflux
TiVowned

Quote:
If it's not showing anything, it's not going to be anything to do with format, copy protection, etc.

Anything on what shows on the Advanced Troubleshooting screens (on both boxes) as well as what shows next to TiVoToGo on the System Information screen?

Do both boxes show a Media Access Key when you go to the Media Access Key screen on the TiVo itself?

- Bob
Bob,
The MAK is the same for both. I can log in via https://ipoftivo for both of them using tivo/(keynumber) .

Advanced troubleshooting shows me no problems that I'm seeing?, and the system Info has a,a,a for TTG features on BOTH boxes.

Like I said, the THD can read/stream from the S2, the S2 SEES the THD, but says there is nothing at all recorded on it.

And again, if I press select twice in sequence when selecting the THD in the NPL on the S2DT, I can get into a group for a show I watch and record on the THD, though it shows 0 shows for content. Very interesting.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #21
bedelman
Call me Bob

Thanks -- could you check the software version on your Series 2. You mentioned earlier that it was something like 9.2.1 -- but I believe the current version is 9.3.2 which may be necessary to see the recordings on the TiVo HD that's running 11.0 (but not the other way around)

Old 12-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #22
Mindflux
TiVowned

Quote:
Thanks -- could you check the software version on your Series 2. You mentioned earlier that it was something like 9.2.1 -- but I believe the current version is 9.3.2 which may be necessary to see the recordings on the TiVo HD that's running 11.0 (but not the other way around)
9.3.2a is what it is.

I can also download via the TiVo web service. The S2DT downloads at about 3/4 MB/s (750KB/s) and the THD downloads over 1MB/s.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #23
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
9.3.2a is what it is.

I can also download via the TiVo web service. The S2DT downloads at about 3/4 MB/s (750KB/s) and the THD downloads over 1MB/s.
Good -- all of my Series 2 boxes are running 9.3.2a as well

Do either of your TiVo boxes see your computer (assuming you're using the TiVoToComeBack capabilities built into TiVo Desktop for Windows or the "hidden" feature in TiVo Desktop for Mac OSX)? I think with TiVo Desktop for Windows, the computer won't appear in the Now Playing List on the TiVo unless some valid recordings are in the folder you're using on the computer.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:36 PM   #24
Mindflux
TiVowned

Quote:
Good -- all of my Series 2 boxes are running 9.3.2a as well

Do either of your TiVo boxes see your computer (assuming you're using the TiVoToComeBack capabilities built into TiVo Desktop for Windows or the "hidden" feature in TiVo Desktop for Mac OSX)? I think with TiVo Desktop for Windows, the computer won't appear in the Now Playing List on the TiVo unless some valid recordings are in the folder you're using on the computer.
I'm just using the built in TiVo web server to download. I have the TiVo desktop Mac installed, but unfortunately VisualHub is no longer in development so the TiVoToGo (TiVoGOBack) "hidden" feature that it enabled when installed no longer exists.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:48 PM   #25
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
I'm just using the built in TiVo web server to download. I have the TiVo desktop Mac installed, but unfortunately VisualHub is no longer in development so the TiVoToGo (TiVoGOBack) "hidden" feature that it enabled when installed no longer exists.
You don't need anything fancy to enable it -- just hold down the apple/command key when clicking on the preference pane to open it. The script in VisualHub only flips the property to enable it for good. I believe Dennis Wilkinson here posted the terminal command to do so as well. But for those who don't want to mess with terminal -- the holding of the apple/command key to reveal the "videos" tab works just fine.

- Bob

Old 12-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #26
Mindflux
TiVowned

Quote:
You don't need anything fancy to enable it -- just hold down the apple/command key when clicking on the preference pane to open it. The script in VisualHub only flips the property to enable it for good. I believe Dennis Wilkinson here posted the terminal command to do so as well. But for those who don't want to mess with terminal -- the holding of the apple/command key to reveal the "videos" tab works just fine.

- Bob
Ahh, that I did not know! Sweet.

I'm toying with TiVoButler and iTivo as we speak. Those are pretty sweet and I can readily download nearly anything on both to my iMac. Still can't MRV my THD from the S2DT box though...
Old 12-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #27
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Ahh, that I did not know! Sweet.

I'm toying with TiVoButler and iTivo as we speak. Those are pretty sweet and I can readily download nearly anything on both to my iMac. Still can't MRV my THD from the S2DT box though...
Take a look at pyTiVoX also -- you can transfer almost any video format over to your TiVo as well.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:43 AM   #28
bkdtv

Does your router allow you to assign static (fixed) IPs to each TiVo? That's one of the first things many people suggest; it seems TiVos can have trouble locating other TiVos for some period after their local network IP changes.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #29
Mindflux
TiVowned

Quote:
Does your router allow you to assign static (fixed) IPs to each TiVo? That's one of the first things many people suggest; it seems TiVos can have trouble locating other TiVos for some period after their local network IP changes.
They're fixed in the sense that I tell my DHCP server to dole out "192.168.1.X" to only "This MAC Address". So, my TivoHD is .10 and my S2DT is .11. It's been this way (static through Mac filtering) long before I owned a TiVo.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #30
lafos

Reading through the thread, this behavior seems odd. The closest I came to it was when I updated three boxes. Once I changed the TSN's on tivo.com, I could force a connection and get service in good standing. I could then transfer shows through TiVo desktop, but could not MRV. I had to wait until the old box connected and became deactivated before the MRV would work. One sign of this was that the DVR name did not show up on the new box until the old box deactivated.

Did you try going into the web page and check your preferences for the TiVos to make sure they had everything selected? Even if they are, click "save" and then force connections by both boxes.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote