TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
cherry ghost

Change Channel, Get Pairing Screen

Came home the other day and Cablecard 2 was only receiving basic channels. Had them send a signal to the card and still basic only. Guy comes out and installs new card. Everything works except four channels that, when tuned to, pull up the pairing screen for Cablecard 2. When I hit clear, it tunes the channel. The tech had no idea what to do and eventually left. Waiting on a call from a higher level of support, but I doubt it'll come.

Has any one ever heard of this happening?
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
cherry ghost

24 hours and no call from Comcast, so I call them. No explanation why no call, just a promise by a different person that he'll investigate and get back to me.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Jack D

Would be interested to know how this issue was finally resolved. I just starting having a similar problem (goes to pairing screen but I can get back to the channel by pushing "clear" button) with my S3 but I did not change cable cards. I've had the same ones for three years.
Jack D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
IJustLikeTivo
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post
Would be interested to know how this issue was finally resolved. I just starting having a similar problem (goes to pairing screen but I can get back to the channel by pushing "clear" button) with my S3 but I did not change cable cards. I've had the same ones for three years.
Comcast screwed up the provisioning. The screen is telling you that the head end says that channel ( or channels ) is not authorized on your account.

They'll insist on sending a tech even though all the tech can do is read the numbers to some one sitting at a computer where the channels maps are set up for your cards.

They're royally screwed tons of people locally by messing up the premium channels in the last week. I know 8 people with bad setups. Me and my mother included, oh joy!
IJustLikeTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustLikeTivo View Post
Comcast screwed up the provisioning. The screen is telling you that the head end says that channel ( or channels ) is not authorized on your account.

They'll insist on sending a tech even though all the tech can do is read the numbers to some one sitting at a computer where the channels maps are set up for your cards.

They're royally screwed tons of people locally by messing up the premium channels in the last week. I know 8 people with bad setups. Me and my mother included, oh joy!
This is probably what happened. When I first got my TiVoHD it took about 3 trips for CV to finally realize that it was their error.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
Jack D

Well I had just changed my set up a bit (not the cable cards) so I was thinking that it might have been some sort of HDMI handshaking issue that was causing the card to be un-paired from the premium channels temporarily. Like I said, the screen that pops up is the pairing screen. I had not seen this before changing the order of my HDMI devices.

In any case, I left the TV on for several hours last night and the problem did not show up.

Not sure what to think at this point.

thx.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
SMcCormack

I just had a similar problem with a HD box that I put back in service after sitting in storage for a few months. It seems that TiVo is serious when the box tells you to re-run guided setup after it detects a cable card change even if you end up back in the same situation. Here's what happened to me and how I solved it:

1. First cable card was a dud (firmware update loop)
2. Second card paired up but would not decode any channels except DisneyHD
3. Third card paired and many channels came up but many others would display the grey pairing screen.

At this point I was really annoyed as the cable guy had booked after seeing that the channels he happened to check were working and since we had been at this all day they wouldn't be able to get anyone out to fix it until sometime this week so I went ahead and scheduled an appointment. After playing with the tivo for a while I noticed that the channels that didn't work weren't part of any particular package but they were in clusters and the premium channels I wasn't supposed to get were black like one expects so it looked like the cablecard was provisioned correctly. I also noticed that they grey screen would sometimes show after the channel actually worked for a few seconds. At this point I also remembered that the cable company had moved some channels around as I had had to rescan with my QAM tuner. So I thought well I try and re-run guided setup ...

fail 161-38 error! (the Tivo wouldn't even let me run guided setup)

At this point I thought well if I pull the card I could rerun setup without the card and then put it back in and run again. I pulled the card and reran setup and noticed a new feature that has been added at some point since I ran setup last was an option to tell the TiVo a carble card was going to be used but wasn't available just yet. So I choose this option and finished setup. An hour or so later when it had finished I reinserted the cablecard and a screen appeared acknowledging the card and saying the setup was done. Low and behold suddenly everything was working and no grey pairing screens. So if you are suddenly seeing the grey screens after some change or other it might be worth attempting to rerun guided setup.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMcCormack View Post
I just had a similar problem with a HD box that I put back in service after sitting in storage for a few months. It seems that TiVo is serious when the box tells you to re-run guided setup after it detects a cable card change even if you end up back in the same situation. Here's what happened to me and how I solved it:

1. First cable card was a dud (firmware update loop)
2. Second card paired up but would not decode any channels except DisneyHD
3. Third card paired and many channels came up but many others would display the grey pairing screen.

At this point I was really annoyed as the cable guy had booked after seeing that the channels he happened to check were working and since we had been at this all day they wouldn't be able to get anyone out to fix it until sometime this week so I went ahead and scheduled an appointment. After playing with the tivo for a while I noticed that the channels that didn't work weren't part of any particular package but they were in clusters and the premium channels I wasn't supposed to get were black like one expects so it looked like the cablecard was provisioned correctly. I also noticed that they grey screen would sometimes show after the channel actually worked for a few seconds. At this point I also remembered that the cable company had moved some channels around as I had had to rescan with my QAM tuner. So I thought well I try and re-run guided setup ...

fail 161-38 error! (the Tivo wouldn't even let me run guided setup)

At this point I thought well if I pull the card I could rerun setup without the card and then put it back in and run again. I pulled the card and reran setup and noticed a new feature that has been added at some point since I ran setup last was an option to tell the TiVo a carble card was going to be used but wasn't available just yet. So I choose this option and finished setup. An hour or so later when it had finished I reinserted the cablecard and a screen appeared acknowledging the card and saying the setup was done. Low and behold suddenly everything was working and no grey pairing screens. So if you are suddenly seeing the grey screens after some change or other it might be worth attempting to rerun guided setup.
Interesting. I'm still experiencing the random pairing screen pop up from time to time on my S3 (fairly rare but an irritation when it happens). Last night I was watching a recorded program (from HBO) and the pairing screen popped up!

I am, however, a bit unsettled about messing with the cable card set up as you suggest. It was such a hassle to get them working properly the first time (three years ago). I'd hate to re-run set up and then have to get Comcast to come out again to go through the misery of having them re-set them.

Any way, what you suggest is to pull the cable cards, re-run set up and tell the TIVO that you will put the cable cards in later. Then after guided set up is finished (I'm surprised it took an hour to do the guided set up) pop the cable cards back in. You didn't have to contact CC at all? thx
Old 08-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMcCormack View Post
So if you are suddenly seeing the grey screens after some change or other it might be worth attempting to rerun guided setup.
Other than allowing time to pass, Guided Setup isn't going to do anything to make the cablecards start working. Guided Setup just configures the tivo's connection, and sets the lineup. It doesn't do anything to the cablecards (which the tivo box really can't do - if the pairing screen is popping up, only the cable company can resolve that problem).
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
lessd

This problem happened once after about 2 years on my Series 3 (original), Comcast came out and installed a new M card in slot one, paired it than installed a S card in slot two, paired that one and i have not had a problem for the last 6 months. I did not re-run guided setup.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
Jack D

Something really screwy must be happening if, as in my case, the pairing screen comes up when I'm watching a recorded program. That makes no sense to me. The channel is not even being accessed at that point. It is running off the TIVO hard drive.....
Old 08-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post
Something really screwy must be happening if, as in my case, the pairing screen comes up when I'm watching a recorded program. That makes no sense to me. The channel is not even being accessed at that point. It is running off the TIVO hard drive.....
Channels are always being accessed whether you're watching them or not. You could be recording something while watching something you already recorded. Even if a recording isn't in progress 2 channels are being buffered.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote