TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
Sunshy

How to tell if "Lifetime" status is legit?

I'm in the market for a used Series 2 Tivo with Lifetime or DirecTV Tivo with Lifetime.

I know in the past there were some Lifetime transfers allowed by Tivo where the new (Series 3 or HD unit) would get the Lifetime and the old (Series 2) unit would have the service for One Year. My question is this:

If the info screen reads "Lifetime" then is it legit? In other words, if they transferred their lifetime service to a newer unit and the older unit has only a year of service on it, will it have a date or some way to discern that it DOES NOT have Lifetime?

Also, if I purchase the unit and take it home, can they somehow cancel the account (for whatever reason) or can I simply call Tivo and put my info on the account?
Sunshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
classicsat
Astute User

The surest way is to call TiVo CSR and have them look up the TSN.

On the box itself, you need to have it call home to update its real status.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshy View Post
I'm in the market for a used Series 2 Tivo with Lifetime or DirecTV Tivo with Lifetime.

I know in the past there were some Lifetime transfers allowed by Tivo where the new (Series 3 or HD unit) would get the Lifetime and the old (Series 2) unit would have the service for One Year. My question is this:

If the info screen reads "Lifetime" then is it legit? In other words, if they transferred their lifetime service to a newer unit and the older unit has only a year of service on it, will it have a date or some way to discern that it DOES NOT have Lifetime?

Also, if I purchase the unit and take it home, can they somehow cancel the account (for whatever reason) or can I simply call Tivo and put my info on the account?
With the service number just call TiVo and ask, the xfers were long ago and should be any problem for you now. A TiVo without Lifetime will say in the system information screen account in good standing or closed (unless its a new unit than it could say something other than that) If it has Lifetime Service on the TiVo the words Lifetime will be there.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Sunshy

Thank you.
Sunshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
magnus
Tivo User

But you'll want to make it dial in and if it still says lifetime... then it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
If it has Lifetime Service on the TiVo the words Lifetime will be there.

magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshy View Post
You can't buy a D*Tivo with a legitimate lifetime subscription because the lifetime is on the account not the individual Tivo/dvr.