TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #1351
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Tinkertool is free. But there's a different app called Tinkertool System, that is more like Onyx in its purpose, that costs about $14 US. It's extensive, elegant -- and quite a bit more "explanatory" than Onyx. I just paid for it. It's seriously impressive.
I'll check it out. Thanks for the lead. I need to get Skitch too, I could have really used that on this. Does it allow you to add text, as well as those cool arrows; directly in the App? I'm assuming it does, and that's gotta save a ton of time over the Command-Shift-4 and Photoshop method... Photoshop Arrows look pretty uninspired compared to the ones in Skitch...
Old 02-23-2012, 03:00 AM   #1352
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, Skitch does it all, fast and easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:23 AM   #1353
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
<del>
I'm a night ranger too. Always have been. One reason I became self employed. Getting up too early ruins my whole day.
funny ... since i devote like 110% of my energies to ensure i don't become self-employed! but i'm right there with you on the evils of early rising--i've worked night jobs for several decades now to ensure i didn't have to ever wake up early. [g]

/guy
Old 02-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #1354
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
funny ... since i devote like 110% of my energies to ensure i don't become self-employed! but i'm right there with you on the evils of early rising--i've worked night jobs for several decades now to ensure i didn't have to ever wake up early. [g]

/guy
LOL. Hey different strokes for different folks. My wife just went to bed. I've got the whole place to myself. I just downloaded Skitch and am playing with it. I'm on vacation and I like staying up late.... ergo...

Last edited by bareyb : 02-23-2012 at 04:00 AM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:35 AM   #1355
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I just got it and I'm loving this thing. It's definitely a keeper. I'll probably redo a couple of the images in the Tutorial with it. Also, can't believe it's FREE. That's amazing.

ETA: My first effort.

Last edited by bareyb : 02-23-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #1356
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Curious. How would one take this kind of screen shot in Skitch? I want the Downloads folder to stay open during the screen shot.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #1357
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hold shift down while you're clicking a screen selection. That starts a timer, so you can pull/hold a menu down (or whatever) while the snapshot takes place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 02-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #1358
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Curious. How would one take this kind of screen shot in Skitch? I want the Downloads folder to stay open during the screen shot.

Quote:
Hold shift down while you're clicking a screen selection. That starts a timer, so you can pull/hold a menu down (or whatever) while the snapshot takes place.
That did the trick. Thanks.

Last edited by bareyb : 02-23-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #1359
rjgibson0066

Is there anyway to organize the transferred videos in a folder? Right now in my Now Playing list they are littered among all my recorded shows and folders.
rjgibson0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #1360
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgibson0066 View Post
Is there anyway to organize the transferred videos in a folder? Right now in my Now Playing list they are littered among all my recorded shows and folders.
edit....read your question wrong.....

and
for OS X
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #1361
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgibson0066 View Post
You can set a generic default.txt metadata file per share or directory I believe. I'm not terribly familiar with this aspect of pyTivo but pulled this up from the pyTivo forums.

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...20one%20folder

You may want to read up over there and ask any questions you have.

and
for OS X
Old 03-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #1362
jonbig

I'm incredibly frustrated. I've used pyTiVoX/streambaby for months to stream to my Tivo Premiere Elite, and tonight it just won't work. Nothing that I do makes an entry appear in my TiVo's "Showcases & Apps" menu.

How do I debug this?
jonbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #1363
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbig View Post
I'm incredibly frustrated. I've used pyTiVoX/streambaby for months to stream to my Tivo Premiere Elite, and tonight it just won't work. Nothing that I do makes an entry appear in my TiVo's "Showcases & Apps" menu.

How do I debug this?
It's kind of tough to say. This type of issue could be related to many things. A software/system update, firewall issues, networking issues.....etc. The most basic thing you can do is to restart your TiVo and computer. There is also a debug mode for streambaby but pyTivoX makes it a little more difficult to access and having not used pyTivoX for years I couldn't say exactly how to enable it off the top of my head.

You may also try to use streambaby as a standalone application. As it runs in the Terminal it may be easier to catch issues.

and
for OS X
Old 03-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #1364
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
You did? So did bareyb. Where's yours?

Old 03-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #1365
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
You did? So did bareyb. Where's yours?
News to me too...
Old 04-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #1366
johnh123

Is there an easy way to get vidmgr working with pytivox?
johnh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #1367
dadrepus

Why doesn't someone, more clever than I, just write a Plex client for the Tivo? It is the MOST elegant way to display all your saved media to a Tv and I, for one, would appreciate the elimination of a secondary box, ie: appletv, roku, to display that media.
dadrepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #1368
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
While that would be great (I'm liking Plex more and more these days) I get the feeling that development for apps on the TiVo isn't exactly a walk in the park. TiVo's APIs or infrastructure just isn't something developers have flocked to. There's no ecosystem, and the installed customer base is relatively small. Where's their incentive?

In the meantime, I switch between boxes. I use Plex on my (jailbroken) AppleTV (love it!) as well as my Roku.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #1369
dadrepus

While I also have a Roku and Mac Mini I would love to get rid of so many extra boxes and remotes. I think the reason the Plex community (developers) has not attempted to do anything is the fact that no developer has a Tivo to work with. I assume you would need a box for testing.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #1370
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
In the end I think the best approach is going to be something like the upcoming Roku Streaming Stick, that connects via HDMI and uses a new tech called MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) that powers it too, but also integrates the UI and lets you use your original TV's remote:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/04/r...to-mhl-dongle/

Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #1371
dadrepus

[quote=Fofer;9043024]In the end I think the best approach is going to be something like the upcoming Roku Streaming Stick, that connects via HDMI and uses a new tech called MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) that powers it too, but also integrates the UI and lets you use your original TV's remote:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/04/r...to-mhl-dongle/[/QUOT]

You are still changing inputs to the TV, hdmi1-hdmi2, etc and only eliminating 1 remote but that is better than nothing. I would prefer the tivo remote to the tv one , though. It fits better in my hand.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #1372
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Are you sure about that? I recall reading that one element of the MHL tech is that it can do UI and menu overlays on one "combined" input. I know some MHL-compatible A/V receivers can do that now.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #1373
dadrepus

Quote:
Are you sure about that? I recall reading that one element of the MHL tech is that it can do UI and menu overlays on one "combined" input. I know some MHL-compatible A/V receivers can do that now.
I don't know that for certain but if what you say is true it will be a great little device especially if Plex still works with it.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #1374
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't know for certain either, but I do recall reading something about that. I'm hoping!

Even still, if NOT, so long as you're consolidated down to one remote (which hopefully can be the TiVo remote which I like to) then it's just a matter of hitting the right Input button first.

We'll see.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #1375
elmeng

Closed Caption not working with Tivo Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
arghhh, i had this working perfectly under snow leopard and now it's gone south. using the tips above i got it limping along again, but nearly every video fails with a 0xfff error.

thanks,

/guy
I'm using Mac OS X 10.7.3 and pyTivoX 1.4.1b. When I download a show from my Tivo and edit it and send it back to my Tivo Premiere, the Closed captioning did not work. I upload the same file to a Tivo Series3 and closed captioning worked. Then for kicks I transferred the file for the Series 3 to the Premiere and it did not work, I then recorded a program using the Series 3 and transferred it to the Premiere and it worked. So is the problem with Tivo, pyTivoX or both?
elmeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #1376
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmeng View Post
I'm using Mac OS X 10.7.3 and pyTivoX 1.4.1b. When I download a show from my Tivo and edit it and send it back to my Tivo Premiere, the Closed captioning did not work. I upload the same file to a Tivo Series3 and closed captioning worked. Then for kicks I transferred the file for the Series 3 to the Premiere and it did not work, I then recorded a program using the Series 3 and transferred it to the Premiere and it worked. So is the problem with Tivo, pyTivoX or both?
Problem is with TiVo Premiere an the v20 software. Captions are there, it just won't display them.

and
for OS X
Old 06-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #1377
clark_kent

Movie Cover art Photo

Hello everyone, my apologies if this has been asked and answered:

I'm using pyTivoX 1.3 and I'd like to get photos (cover art of movies) into the pyTivoX folder that has the video file in it. My Premier sees the pyTiVoX folders and the movie videos just fine but it does not see the jpg or jpeg cover photos of the movies. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thank you.
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #1378
philvh

More apologies if this has been asked and answered (and I've searched):

Using pyTivoX 1.3, I've learned from the .conf file that pyTivo is aimed at my main network -- meanwhile, all three of my TiVos are on my guest network. Can I redirect it? And is there any way to specify which of the three machines will get the transfer?
philvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #1379
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvh View Post
Using pyTivoX 1.3, I've learned from the .conf file that pyTivo is aimed at my main network -- meanwhile, all three of my TiVos are on my guest network. Can I redirect it? And is there any way to specify which of the three machines will get the transfer?
Why are your TiVos on your guest network? I'd just fix that.

Otherwise, I'd need to know more about how your network(s) is/are set up. Can the machine hosting pyTivoX even talk to the guest network?

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #1380
philvh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Why are your TiVos on your guest network? I'd just fix that.

Otherwise, I'd need to know more about how your network(s) is/are set up. Can the machine hosting pyTivoX even talk to the guest network?
Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking to divide the traffic (7-8 wireless clients at any given time), and inasmuch as my Time Capsule offers a second network . . . was I kidding myself?

My desktop computer communicates with the main network via ethernet and with the guest network wirelessly.
philvh is offline   Reply With Quote