TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #1201
Iluvatar
Registered User
 
Iluvatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgibson0066 View Post
I don't know - thought building one was easy too.

I tried using an existing one, put it in a new folder, and pointed to it in the .ini file, but then get this:

Last login: Fri Feb 17 16:43:29 on ttys000
Robert-Gibsons-MacBook-Pro:~ robertgibson$ /Users/robertgibson/Documents/streambaby-0.29/streambaby ; exit;
Initializing StreamBaby v0.29...
02/17/12 17:22:25 FFmpegJavaVideoModule: Unable to load FFmpeg native libraries
02/17/12 17:22:26 Listener: added factory
02/17/12 17:22:26 Main: streambaby ready & listening
Didn't read that you were trying streambaby. There is another ini setting that needs to be set to transition from a dynamically compiled FFmpeg to a statically built one.

edit:

Try adding this:

Code:
com.unwiredappeal.tivo.vm.ffjava.FFmpegJavaVideoModule=false

Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #1202
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 21,156
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
Do whatever you wish but pyTivo works perfectly for me. pyTivoX is not pyTivo. It is a different program made by a TCF user that blended pyTivo (a very very old version) and streambaby together in a GUI. At one time it was useful and easy. Today, if you can get it to work, it is still useful although definitely no longer easy to install on OS X 10.7, but it was abandoned long ago.

pyTivo (the original) has continued to be developed and supported by many. streambaby has been abandoned as well but still generally works OK when used by itself outside of pyTivoX.

If you want support for pyTivo go to it's proper thread here at TCF or it's forum at pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum. You generally won't get the best support in this thread for non pyTivoX questions as it is an app that the majority of pyTivo users do not use.
Well I just came from there... I'm sure it works perfectly for YOU but you're a software engineer. It sounds like we are still dealing with Unix Command line stuff and that's where I get off the train. It's far too easy to screw that up (as you know). Why no installer??? Hell, CHARGE for it! I'd happily pay twenty or thirty bucks for a program with an installer. I bet I'm not alone. It's waaaaay too complicated and risky dealing with command line IMO and let's face it, it's rife with problems.

Is it really that hard to make a GUI with an "Easy Install" button? Why all the command line stuff?
__________________
Need a new sig...

Last edited by bareyb : 02-17-2012 at 05:26 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #1203
rjgibson0066
Registered User
 
rjgibson0066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
Didn't read that you were trying streambaby. There is another ini setting that needs to be set to transition from a dynamically compiled FFmpeg to a statically built one.

edit:

Try adding this:

Code:
com.unwiredappeal.tivo.vm.ffjava.FFmpegJavaVideoModule=false
Thanks, that worked...

Last login: Fri Feb 17 17:22:24 on ttys000
Robert-Gibsons-MacBook-Pro:~ robertgibson$ /Users/robertgibson/Documents/streambaby-0.29/streambaby ; exit;
Initializing StreamBaby v0.29...
02/17/12 18:24:10 Listener: added factory
02/17/12 18:24:10 Main: streambaby ready & listening.


However when I click on it in Showcase, the Tivo times out trying to connect to my MacBook with an error reading:

An error occurred while running the application. HTTP failure (Http connection error 0x50005).

Is there something on my Mac that I need to do to enable the connection?
rjgibson0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #1204
Iluvatar
Registered User
 
Iluvatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Well I just came from there... I'm sure it works perfectly for YOU but you're a software engineer. It sounds like we are still dealing with Unix Command line stuff and that's where I get off the train. It's far too easy to screw that up (as you know). Hell, CHARGE for it! I'd happily pay twenty or thirty bucks for a program with an installer. I bet I'm not alone. It's waaaaay too complicated and risky dealing with command line IMO and let's face it, it's rife with problems.

Is it really that hard to make a GUI with an easy "Install" button? Why all the command line stuff?
The way that pyTivo is made, with the Python scripting language which is OS independant, generally runs from the Terminal (or command prompt on windows). If you would like to create an easier app and support it I would love to see it. pyTivo is open source, community developed and cross platform capable.

You are using OS X, you don't have to run it from the Terminal if you don't want to. Ever. Following the pyTivo wiki for OS X installs you can set it to startup automatically at log on and you never have to see it unless you need the log output.

pyTivo can be as easy as extracting the zip/tar.gz file where you want it, download and place FFmpeg with it, update the pyTivo.conf file with FFmpeg location (you can use the web interface afterwards), create a text file with the startup code, place that in your LauchAgents folder and then restart. Don't have to use Terminal once.

You can use Console.app to look at debug/log output that pyTivo creates.

Last edited by Iluvatar : 02-17-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #1205
Iluvatar
Registered User
 
Iluvatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgibson0066 View Post
Thanks, that worked...

Last login: Fri Feb 17 17:22:24 on ttys000
Robert-Gibsons-MacBook-Pro:~ robertgibson$ /Users/robertgibson/Documents/streambaby-0.29/streambaby ; exit;
Initializing StreamBaby v0.29...
02/17/12 18:24:10 Listener: added factory
02/17/12 18:24:10 Main: streambaby ready & listening.


However when I click on it in Showcase, the Tivo times out trying to connect to my MacBook with an error reading:

An error occurred while running the application. HTTP failure (Http connection error 0x50005).

Is there something on my Mac that I need to do to enable the connection?
I haven't actually used streambaby in ages so I'm not certain. pyTivo is more my thing.

I would at least restart the TiVo and restart streambaby. Try to enable debug logging for streambaby and see what output it gives you in relation to this.

I will try to install it on my Lion Mac tonight and see if I can get it working. Generally there was nothing that needed to be done other than Java and updating the ini file. Perhaps Lion changed that.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #1206
rjgibson0066
Registered User
 
rjgibson0066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 89
^ thanks for your replies and effort to try my configuration.

I disable my firewall and it worked - was able to see my directories. However the one video I had in there could not play as I got a message saying "can not open stream".

I suspect the format is work - what are the right formats for Tivo the play video?

Also, what's the solution to the firewall issue?

Thanks again
rjgibson0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #1207
rjgibson0066
Registered User
 
rjgibson0066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 89
^ thanks for your replies and effort to try my configuration.

I disabled my firewall and it worked - was able to see my directories. However the one video I had in there could not play as I got a message saying "can not open stream".

I suspect the format is work - what are the right formats for Tivo the play video? My file was a mpeg-4.

Also, what's the solution to the firewall issue?

Thanks again
rjgibson0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #1208
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 21,156
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
The way that pyTivo is made, with the Python scripting language which is OS independant, generally runs from the Terminal (or command prompt on windows). If you would like to create an easier app and support it I would love to see it. pyTivo is open source, community developed and cross platform capable.

You are using OS X, you don't have to run it from the Terminal if you don't want to. Ever. Following the pyTivo wiki for OS X installs you can set it to startup automatically at log on and you never have to see it unless you need the log output.

pyTivo can be as easy as extracting the zip/tar.gz file where you want it, download and place FFmpeg with it, update the pyTivo.conf file with FFmpeg location (you can use the web interface afterwards), create a text file with the startup code, place that in your LauchAgents folder and then restart. Don't have to use Terminal once.

You can use Console.app to look at debug/log output that pyTivo creates.
Well I tried all that a few years ago and ended up wanting to kill myself in very short order.

I'll see if I can do this step by step. I suppose I should get myself into the right thread though..
__________________
Need a new sig...

Last edited by bareyb : 02-17-2012 at 06:07 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #1209
Fofer
༺♥༻
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 65,999
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Well that's weird. I didn't know that and installed it and it works perfectly... Maybe I need to go look into buying TiVo Desktop? It sounds like this whole Pytivo thing is pretty messed up. That's too bad too, it's a very helpful product. I wish to hell somebody would build a commercial version that I could Pay for, that would have ongoing support.
Roxio's Toast 11. Includes TiVo Transfer.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #1210
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 21,156
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Roxio's Toast 11. Includes TiVo Transfer.
Oh really? I have an older version of Toast Platinum but it didn't include the "push" function. Any idea if it works reliably? Maybe I'll just go that route... Fofer, do you use PyTiVo or Toast?
__________________
Need a new sig...
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #1211
Fofer
༺♥༻
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 65,999
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb

Oh really? I have an older version of Toast Platinum but it didn't include the "push" function. Any idea if it works reliably? Maybe I'll just go that route... Fofer, do you use PyTiVo or Toast?
IIRC I had to install some extra little hack to get videos to be shared along with music and photos via TiVo Desktop, but it worked.

I used to use PyTiVoX but now send everything to my jailbroken appletv.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #1212
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 21,156
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
IIRC I had to install some extra little hack to get videos to be shared along with music and photos via TiVo Desktop, but it worked.

I used to use PyTiVoX but now send everything to my jailbroken appletv.
Okay. Thanks. I just downloaded the latest version of pyTivo (wmcbrine's) and of course it doesn't work just like I knew it wouldn't. I downloaded all the bits and pieces and I'm still not seeing anything that looks like a user interface. I probably need someone to walk me though it, but at this point I think I'm ready to give up. PyTivoX works for now so I may just stick with that until it doesn't work any more.

I'd upgrade my Toast to the latest version if I thought their product would work right. Unfortunately not always the case with them... I'll need to do some research.
__________________
Need a new sig...
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #1213
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 21,156
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
The way that pyTivo is made, with the Python scripting language which is OS independant, generally runs from the Terminal (or command prompt on windows). If you would like to create an easier app and support it I would love to see it. pyTivo is open source, community developed and cross platform capable.

You are using OS X, you don't have to run it from the Terminal if you don't want to. Ever. Following the pyTivo wiki for OS X installs you can set it to startup automatically at log on and you never have to see it unless you need the log output.

pyTivo can be as easy as extracting the zip/tar.gz file where you want it, download and place FFmpeg with it, update the pyTivo.conf file with FFmpeg location (you can use the web interface afterwards), create a text file with the startup code, place that in your LauchAgents folder and then restart. Don't have to use Terminal once.

You can use Console.app to look at debug/log output that pyTivo creates.
Okay. I did all that. Opened Terminal told it where FFmpeg was, it said that was indeed a directory and now? Nothing. I click on the link for the Web Interface and get a blank page. Any thoughts? Here is my config file:

Quote:
[Server]
port = 9032
ffmpeg = /Applications/pyTivo/ffmpeg
I assume that isn't correct? I copied and pasted directly from the Wiki...
__________________
Need a new sig...
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #1214
gteague
golftango
 
gteague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: dfw (euless)
Posts: 520
i am running mac lion 10.7.3 and it is (sortof) working for me although i doubt i could retrace all my steps to get it working. i think (i hear the laughter now, but i'm not at my mac now) that i am running the 'wmcbrine ?' fork of pytivo and i'm running pytivox as well, albeit with it pointed to the latest versions of ffmpeg and streambaby. perhaps this is unnecessary (?), but it was working perfectly for me up until last week. perhaps the update from mac os 10.7.2 to 10.7.3 killed streambaby, but i'm not sure.

i followed the instructions several pages up to run an 'mdns ...' command to make streambaby work and i applescripted this command and compiled it so i could run it as an app on startup and it works nearly 100% except for the fact that when you select a video to stream, it will no longer stream at the 'same' quality. the same video bumped down just one notch in quality from the dropdown menu streams just fine.

now, i'm not a unix whiz by any means, i know just exactly enough to be very dangerous. but it seems to me that someone could put together a set of instructions of what to download and write an applescript to run what is necessary for this to work with the user only have to supply the paths. i would pay $5-10 for such a script as it took me several hours of reading and tweaking to get streaming working and streaming from mac to tivo was all i wanted since time-warner has drm-castrated nearly every show i record and i have no used for sending stuff the other way.

/guy
__________________
We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien

Last edited by gteague : 02-18-2012 at 01:32 AM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #1215
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 21,156
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post

now, i'm not a unix whiz by any means, i know just exactly enough to be very dangerous. but it seems to me that someone could put together a set of instructions of what to download and write an applescript to run what is necessary for this to work with the user only have to supply the paths. i would pay $5-10 for such a script as it took me several hours of reading and tweaking to get streaming working and streaming from mac to tivo was all i wanted since time-warner has drm-castrated nearly every show i record and i have no used for sending stuff the other way.

/guy
I honestly don't think there's much interest in making this user friendly. The engineers who write the code understand how it all works, and it works for them, so why bother with the rest of us? It's not like they are being paid. We need a generous soul like that dude that wrote the installer for PyTiVoX.
__________________
Need a new sig...

Last edited by bareyb : 02-17-2012 at 08:00 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #1216
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 21,156
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Okay. Thanks. I just downloaded the latest version of pyTivo (wmcbrine's) and of course it doesn't work just like I knew it wouldn't. I downloaded all the bits and pieces and I'm still not seeing anything that looks like a user interface. I probably need someone to walk me though it, but at this point I think I'm ready to give up. PyTivoX works for now so I may just stick with that until it doesn't work any more.

I'd upgrade my Toast to the latest version if I thought their product would work right. Unfortunately not always the case with them... I'll need to do some research.
Uh oh... Looks like Toast does STREAMING ONLY. It doesn't leave a copy on the TiVo. Back to trying to get PyTiVo to work.. Ugh... I just registered on the site, we'll see how far we get.
__________________
Need a new sig...
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #1217
Fofer
༺♥༻
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 65,999
TC CLUB MEMBER
PyTiVoX continues to work fine for me with Lion.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #1218
gteague
golftango
 
gteague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: dfw (euless)
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Uh oh... Looks like Toast does STREAMING ONLY. It doesn't leave a copy on the TiVo. Back to trying to get PyTiVo to work.. Ugh... I just registered on the site, we'll see how far we get.

streaming which way? if toast 11 on mac would stream from the mac to the tivo that's exactly what i need. i haven't used toast for any tivo purpose since it used to only copy files from the mac to tivo and i don't want that at all.

maybe we need to trade toast copies since that seems to be what you're looking for. [g]

/guy
__________________
We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #1219
Iluvatar
Registered User
 
Iluvatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgibson0066 View Post
^ thanks for your replies and effort to try my configuration.

I disabled my firewall and it worked - was able to see my directories. However the one video I had in there could not play as I got a message saying "can not open stream".

I suspect the format is work - what are the right formats for Tivo the play video? My file was a mpeg-4.

Also, what's the solution to the firewall issue?

Thanks again
For the firewall issue...I found another post that mentions opening port 5353 for both upd and tcp for streambaby.

As for the streamable formats. mpeg-4 (xvid/divx) is not compatible. Typically the files you want are going to be MP4 files with h264 video and AC-3 audio. Other video formats that work I believe are VC-1 and MPEG2. For audio 2ch AAC will work as well.

http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/..._compatibility
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #1220
Iluvatar
Registered User
 
Iluvatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I honestly don't think there's much interest in making this user friendly. The engineers who write the code understand how it all works, and it works for them, so why bother with the rest of us? It's not like they are being paid. We need a generous soul like that dude that wrote the installer for PyTiVoX.
pyTivo is set and forget. Once you get it setup you never need to look at it again unless you have a particular unfufilled need. I have very rarely seen a time when it could not be set up when aided with the help of it's users at either of the forums. I agree it is not perfect for all users though.

Please feel free to create a new frontend or fix pyTivoX that works and I'll point people to it all day. The problem is that a TCF user (yoav) created it out of a need and like so many other similar projects the creators abandon them when they lost interest (or got rid of TiVo). Luckily pyTivo (the original) is easier to maintain and has a healthy development track record. Using a TiVo and a Mac is a niche product within a niche product, I can't ever see any company putting forth a true effort to create/maintain/support a commercial product that does half of what pyTivo does.

edit: BTW I will attempt to further help with your issues in your post at pyTivo forums if you don't mind waiting until tomorrow (had a long day ).

Last edited by Iluvatar : 02-17-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #1221
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 21,156
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
PyTiVoX continues to work fine for me with Lion.
Wow. That's great news. I've seen quite a few reports out there that it didn't. Did you have to do anything to update it?

I suppose if that's the case I really don't need to delve into pyTivo after all, although it would have been fun to finally figure it out! I'm sure there's just some step I'm missing. I was getting all revved up to create the definitive "Installing pyTivo for Beginners" thread. Complete with screen shots of the entire process, especially the "Terminal" commands.

I think that would have helped me a lot. If anyone wants to collaborate with me, I'd still be willing to do it, just to have it out there so nobody has to go through the hell I've been through.

For now, PytivoX is working well for me with my Premiere too, thanks to wmcbrine's last beta version (from 2010) so I guess for now I'll leave well enough alone.

Thanks for the update Fof. I guess I'm moving on. I'd have loved to see pyTivo actually work for all my trouble, but I guess it's just not in the cards. Props to the guy who came up with pyTiVoX and a big fat debt of gratitude to wmcbrine who was the last guy to work on it and make it work with the Premiere.
__________________
Need a new sig...
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #1222
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 21,156
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
pyTivo is set and forget. Once you get it setup you never need to look at it again unless you have a particular unfufilled need. I have very rarely seen a time when it could not be set up when aided with the help of it's users at either of the forums. I agree it is not perfect for all users though.

Please feel free to create a new frontend or fix pyTivoX that works and I'll point people to it all day. The problem is that a TCF user (yoav) created it out of a need and like so many other similar projects the creator abandoned it when they lost interest (or got rid of TiVo). Luckily pyTivo (the original) is easier to maintain and has a healthy development track record. Using a TiVo and a Mac is a niche product within a niche product, I can't ever see any company putting forth a true effort to create/maintain/support a commercial product that does half of what pyTivo does.

edit: BTW I will attempt to further help with your issues in your post at pyTivo forums if you don't mind waiting until tomorrow (had a long day ).
Hmmmm.... That is really nice of you to offer. I can't create a new front end, but I think a REALLY GOOD installation guide is needed for this thing and that's something I would excel at. I do hate to give up on something I've put this much time into... I'm gonna sleep on it, and if I still have the bug tomorrow maybe we can work on it if you think it would help people. I'd love to get some detailed screen shots of the config files and Terminal Command process. I think that would have helped me a lot.
__________________
Need a new sig...

Last edited by bareyb : 02-17-2012 at 10:44 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #1223
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Wow. That's great news. I've seen quite a few reports out there that it didn't. Did you have to do anything to update it?
My impression is that it's just the Streambaby side that quits working, and that, just because Java no longer comes standard with 10.7, and people don't realize they need to install it. But I dunno.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #1224
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 21,156
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
My impression is that it's just the Streambaby side that quits working, and that, just because Java no longer comes standard with 10.7, and people don't realize they need to install it. But I dunno.
Wow. You do get around. I just replied to you over at the pyTiVo forum.

I took a screen shot of the (your) download site. Hopefully this is the right version. I just went with the one at the top of the list:


Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2012-02-17 at 4.28.28 PM.jpg (34.4 KB, 85 views)
__________________
Need a new sig...
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #1225
rjgibson0066
Registered User
 
rjgibson0066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 89
Unable to Open Stream error.

What causes this? I have tried various encoding formats, but the error seems to be related to something else.

Any ideas?

Thanks
rjgibson0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #1226
Iluvatar
Registered User
 
Iluvatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgibson0066 View Post
Unable to Open Stream error.

What causes this? I have tried various encoding formats, but the error seems to be related to something else.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Not certain.

Look here to enable debug logging. Post your output here after encountering the issue.

Also if you have a video info program such as MediaInfo it would be helpful if you could run your video through it and post the output so I can see what kind of video you are working with.
__________________
My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Read link for changes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for OS X
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #1227
rjgibson0066
Registered User
 
rjgibson0066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 89
^ log in too large to post here - I pm'ed it to you. I really appreciate your help.

I don't have a video info program - is there a free version that will work?
rjgibson0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #1228
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 21,156
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
pyTivo is set and forget. Once you get it setup you never need to look at it again unless you have a particular unfufilled need. I have very rarely seen a time when it could not be set up when aided with the help of it's users at either of the forums. I agree it is not perfect for all users though.

Please feel free to create a new frontend or fix pyTivoX that works and I'll point people to it all day. The problem is that a TCF user (yoav) created it out of a need and like so many other similar projects the creators abandon them when they lost interest (or got rid of TiVo). Luckily pyTivo (the original) is easier to maintain and has a healthy development track record. Using a TiVo and a Mac is a niche product within a niche product, I can't ever see any company putting forth a true effort to create/maintain/support a commercial product that does half of what pyTivo does.

edit: BTW I will attempt to further help with your issues in your post at pyTivo forums if you don't mind waiting until tomorrow (had a long day ).
UPDATE: wmcbrine and Iluvatar have been walking me through the process over at the pyTivo forum, and I now have the "Movies" folder and the "Music" folder on my Macbook Pro working on my TiVo. So far we haven't been able to get "Photos" working, but I'm sure that's probably going to happen at some point. This definitely IS a better program than pyTivoX. Gives you a lot more options and you can get music and (supposedly) photos with it.

Side note: I'd like to be able to create an "Installation guide for Beginners" and post it here and over at the pyTivo forum. I can't do that until I get Photos working, so any help with that would be greatly appreciated. I think it would help a lot of folks have access to this awesome program without having to resort to using an outdated version of PyTiVoX.

As far as the command line stuff? The easiest way to deal with that is to simply copy and paste into the Terminal Window and then use the Web interface for the rest. It's not so bad... I'm gonna look into creating an AppleScript that will launch Terminal and then paste in the start up code for pyTiVo. That would be cool...
__________________
Need a new sig...

Last edited by bareyb : 02-19-2012 at 01:26 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #1229
Fofer
༺♥༻
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 65,999
TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks, bareyb! I'm looking forward to that Installation Guide.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #1230
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 21,156
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Thanks, bareyb! I'm looking forward to that Installation Guide.
Me too... I think it's REALLY needed. In fact, I was going to ask you about that program you use to get screen shots. The one you use with arrows and such. That would be an awesome little tool for this project.
__________________
Need a new sig...

Last edited by bareyb : 02-19-2012 at 02:57 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |