TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #1021
pilotbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMan View Post
Thanks for the suggestion but no dice. It appears as though the problem is with StreamBaby so hopefully the developer will take a look at this as I'm tired of copying files to the Tivo instead of being able to stream them.
I had the same issue... it turned out it was due to my router. It seems that this uses Bonjour and my router was messing things up. A router firmware update resolved the problem. I know it was a bonjour issue because I couldn't use my Printer/Scanner on my Mac either... which also use Bonjour.

Once I updated the router and my scanner was working, the next time I looked at the TiVo my Mac showed up in the Showcases section.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #1022
dcpmark

Help with audio track

I'm using the latest Handbrake to rip DVDs using the "High Profile" preset, then send them to my S3 via the latest pyTivoX. I get a great picture, but I only get stereo audio despite HB doing a AC3 passthru track.

Is pyTivoX transcoding my audio, and if so, can it be changed? If not, any other ideas on what I need to do to get DVD rips with 5.1 (or better) audio into my S3?

TIA

Last edited by dcpmark : 09-02-2010 at 11:14 AM.
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #1023
pilotbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
I'm using the latest Handbrake to rip DVDs using the "High Profile" preset, then send them to my S3 via the latest pyTivoX. I get a great picture, but I only get stereo audio despite HB doing a AC3 passthru track.

Is pyTivoX transcoding my audio, and if so, can it be changed? If not, any other ideas on what I need to do to get DVD rips with 5.1 (or better) audio into my S3?

TIA
It's been my experience that pyTivo will use the first audio track. I think the default Handbrake settings make in the second track. There is supposed to be a way to specify which track to send but I could never get it to work. So I encoded all my stuff with only the AC3 passthru track.

BOb
Old 09-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #1024
dcpmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It's been my experience that pyTivo will use the first audio track. I think the default Handbrake settings make in the second track. There is supposed to be a way to specify which track to send but I could never get it to work. So I encoded all my stuff with only the AC3 passthru track.

BOb
I'm pretty sure I tried one encode with a AC3 passthru track only on Track 1 and it came out stereo as well, but I'll try it again in case I didn't do it right the first time. Specifically, under the HB Audio settings, what should my settings look like?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I tried again, using just an AC3 passthru on Track 1, and it worked perfectly. Thanks again!!

Last edited by dcpmark : 09-02-2010 at 05:59 PM.
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #1025
elmeng

pyTivoX on a Premiere/Premiere XL

I'm using pyTivoX on an imac with lastest version of OS over wired network. When streaming a 1.2GB, 42 minute .mkv video, the stream pauses and rebuffering occurs at the 21 minute mark. I'm using a Series 3 HD. Thinking about upgrading to the Premiere HD. Do Premiere XL users have the same issue?

Leslie
elmeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #1026
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The Premiere accepts video much faster. Of course you still have the potential for the computer being the bottleneck, when you're transcoding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #1027
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmeng View Post
I'm using pyTivoX on an imac with lastest version of OS over wired network. When streaming a 1.2GB, 42 minute .mkv video, the stream pauses and rebuffering occurs at the 21 minute mark. I'm using a Series 3 HD. Thinking about upgrading to the Premiere HD. Do Premiere XL users have the same issue?

Leslie
Does this happen with all of your videos on just a specific one? The reason I ask is that I have the same setup, with an iMac, Series3 and a Premiere XL and I've run into the same issue. However it turned out the the problem was with the video itself. On close scrutiny of the playback there was a glitch (tiny bit of macro blocking and audio dropout) at the same point as where the transfer would hang up. I never could get that one to transfer fully.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #1028
elmeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Does this happen with all of your videos on just a specific one? The reason I ask is that I have the same setup, with an iMac, Series3 and a Premiere XL and I've run into the same issue. However it turned out the the problem was with the video itself. On close scrutiny of the playback there was a glitch (tiny bit of macro blocking and audio dropout) at the same point as where the transfer would hang up. I never could get that one to transfer fully.
I'd say it's consistent across the board with all 720p mkv files download from alt.binaries.multimedia newsgroup, poster TeeVee.

Leslie
Old 09-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #1029
richsadams

Quote:
I'd say it's consistent across the board with all 720p mkv files download from alt.binaries.multimedia newsgroup, poster TeeVee.

Leslie
Ah, that's different then. I don't have any experience with files from that specific site. Perhaps I'll give it a try when I have time and see how it goes.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #1030
elmeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Ah, that's different then. I don't have any experience with files from that specific site. Perhaps I'll give it a try when I have time and see how it goes.
If I slow the transfer speed to medium high (i.e. 3508 kb/sec), I get further and even to completion. Is there any degradation in the picture in lower quality?

Leslie
Old 09-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #1031
richsadams

Quote:
If I slow the transfer speed to medium high (i.e. 3508 kb/sec), I get further and even to completion. Is there any degradation in the picture in lower quality?

Leslie
Transfer speeds don't impact file quality, only the time it takes to move data so the resulting file should have the same PQ no matter the transfer speed. FWIW if reducing the transfer speed allows the files to fully load it sounds like some kind of error detection/correction issue. It could be caused by channel noise of some nature or possibly a hardware issue. It could be on their end, something going on in between the source and your equipment or your equipment (although probably not TiVo if it's behaving normally otherwise).

Something that might be worth trying is to change your DNS servers. That will often improve connections by allowing you to use DNS servers other than your provider's. You can Google how that works and what to do, it's quite easy. Using OpenDNS for example may be an improvement, although they've fallen behind Google Public DNS service and some others with regard to speed these days. (They have a very good tutorial on changing DNS servers for Mac's however). A little program called Namebench is an excellent, free network diagnostic tool that allows you see how well your assigned DNS is performing against a list of others. More often than not switching to the top three the diagnostic's results suggest will improve your Internet connections. You could also try assigning static IP addresses to your equipment, TiVo, etc. for a more reliable connection.

Hope that helps a little and please post how things are going.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #1032
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

[I had another reply here, but deleted it when I realized he must be talking about the Streambaby side of pyTivoX.]

Streambaby attempts real-time streaming, so changing its transfer rate does in fact lower the PQ. (pyTivo has no settings to regulate the transfer rate, although it will be affected indirectly -- and the PQ directly -- if you adjust the bitrates for ffmpeg.) But if you have to ask if you're lowering PQ, then the PQ is probably good enough, eh?

DNS settings will not help with transfers between systems on your own LAN, none of which will have names known to outside servers. And even in the situations where changing DNS helps, it's only useful in initial connections -- thus it's useful on a page with lots of little embedded images, but it does nothing for streaming or large file transfers, once they're started.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 09-12-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #1033
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
[I had another reply here, but deleted it when I realized he must be talking about the Streambaby side of pyTivoX.]

Streambaby attempts real-time streaming, so changing its transfer rate does in fact lower the PQ. (pyTivo has no settings to regulate the transfer rate, although it will be affected indirectly -- and the PQ directly -- if you adjust the bitrates for ffmpeg.) But if you have to ask if you're lowering PQ, then the PQ is probably good enough, eh?

DNS settings will not help with transfers between systems on your own LAN, none of which will have names known to outside servers. And even in the situations where changing DNS helps, it's only useful in initial connections -- thus it's useful on a page with lots of little embedded images, but it does nothing for streaming or large file transfers, once they're started.
Ooohhh. That's a different matter all together then. Never mind.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #1034
dachtler

I apologize if this has been answered previously, but I was unable to find a reference within this thread or elsewhere. Is it possible to upgrade to the latest versions of PyTivo and Streambaby within PyTivoX 1.3? It would seem that the versions within PyTivoX 1.3 are outdated, but as far as I can tell, there has not been an updated version released. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
dachtler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #1035
jpaul34

PyTivo 1.4b issue

In retrospect, I don't know why I updated to 1.4b when the previous version was working fine, but I did, and now I can't push. I get a ffmpeg.bin error. The error message is attached.

**EDIT**: I was able to fix the problem by downloading and installing 1.3, but that doesn't solve the issue with 1.4b.
Attached Files
File Type: txt pytivox error message.txt (742 Bytes, 4 views)

Last edited by jpaul34 : 09-25-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Update
jpaul34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #1036
plugot

After pulling my hair out with Mac2tivo, which just didn't work, I just installed this software. It does work! But, I can't figure out what is the best or preferred format to use so that the entire film shows up as one sequential video. I have transferred Video .ts files, and the film is broken into many separate .ts files on the Tivo. I tried to input a mpg4 file, but it won't accept it (is grayed out).I'm using a Tivo series 3 HD, and my workflow is: rip DVD using Mac the Ripper which converts to video TS files. As a second step I can run Handbrake to convert the .ts files to .mp4 files for my iPad. So, what should I be doing with this program so that I can view an entire film on my Tivo?
Perhaps this has been covered before, but I can't find this anywhere on this forum.
Thanks in advance for any help.
plugot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #1037
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Noticed there was a new beta up, exciting to see an update after so long! Thanks yoav!
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #1038
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig_duggler View Post
exciting to see an update
Thanks DD for spreading the news.

And much appreciation to Yoav for still thinking of us!
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #1039
elmeng

Keep edit serialize videos in a Folder on you Tivo

What the sercret to keeping grouped edited Tivo files in a folder (or group from which it originally came) when you transfer them back to the Tivo?

Leslie

Last edited by elmeng : 09-27-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: clear it up.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #1040
elmeng

Txt description files

Quote:
What the sercret
Leslie
Since no one has come to my rescue, let me expound. When I edit a Tivo file using Toast software. I create a (filename).m2ts file and a text file (filename).m2ts.txt.

In this txt file I have info, title, date, and other descriptions. It's here, I was hoping to find a line that would allow me to create a group. Does anybody have info as to the components of these txt files?

Or could someone point me to the proper thread that might cover this question?

Leslie

Last edited by elmeng : 09-30-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Am I in the right thread?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #1041
Rdian06

Quote:
Since no one has come to my rescue, let me expound. When I edit a Tivo file using Toast software. I create a (filename).m2ts file and a text file (filename).m2ts.txt.

In this txt file I have info, title, date, and other descriptions. It's here, I was hoping to find a line that would allow me to create a group. Does anybody have info as to the components of these txt files?

Or could someone point me to the proper thread that might cover this question?

Leslie
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=434361

FYI, this was easy to find when you search this forum for: pyTivo group

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #1042
elmeng

Thanks, Rdian06.
That did help allot. The webpage that did break it all down for me I found with a google search. http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/i...adata#seriesId
I then start a search for some seriesId of TV shows and found a few.

I'm still looking for:
The Vampire Diaries
Smallville
Nikita

Leslie
Old 10-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #1043
mnb

The problem I'm having with pytivox is that streambaby stops showing up in Showcases after a while.

I go to the Mac, quit pytivoX. Wait 30 seconds or more. Restart it. Go back to the Tivo... it still doesn't show up.

When it works, it works great. I noticed this error in the streambaby log last time I restarted it:

Sat 2010/10/09 13:02:28.513| |main|Main|mdns_type=_tivo-hme._tcp.local. factory=StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,pyTivoX - Conductor.local] port=7290
Exception in thread "JmDNS.SocketListener" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1937)
at javax.jmdns.impl.JmDNSImpl.toUnqualifiedName(JmDNSImpl.java: 1461)
at javax.jmdns.impl.JmDNSImpl.updateRecord(JmDNSImpl.java:933)
at javax.jmdns.impl.JmDNSImpl.handleResponse(JmDNSImpl.java:102 5)
at javax.jmdns.impl.SocketListener.run(SocketListener.java:68)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)

I installed the latest beta and I get a different Java error:
Sat 2010/10/09 13:25:04.025| |main|Main|mdns_type=_tivo-hme._tcp.local. factory=StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,pyTivoX - Conductor.local] port=7290
Exception in thread "JmDNS(10.local.).SocketListener" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The instance name component of a fully qualified service cannot be empty.
at javax.jmdns.impl.ServiceInfoImpl.checkQualifiedNameMap(Servi ceInfoImpl.java:356)
at javax.jmdns.impl.ServiceInfoImpl.<init>(ServiceInfoImpl.java :197)
at javax.jmdns.impl.ServiceInfoImpl.<init>(ServiceInfoImpl.java :181)
at javax.jmdns.impl.DNSRecord$Pointer.getServiceInfo(DNSRecord. java:553)
at javax.jmdns.impl.DNSRecord$Pointer.getServiceEvent(DNSRecord .java:564)
at javax.jmdns.impl.JmDNSImpl.updateRecord(JmDNSImpl.java:1264)
at javax.jmdns.impl.JmDNSImpl.handleRecord(JmDNSImpl.java:1398)
at javax.jmdns.impl.JmDNSImpl.handleResponse(JmDNSImpl.java:141 7)
at javax.jmdns.impl.SocketListener.run(SocketListener.java:72)

Last edited by mnb : 10-09-2010 at 03:26 PM.
mnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #1044
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It's a per-share option, "force_alpha".
It may be a per-share option in pyTivo but there's only one place to set alpha on/off in pyTivoX prefs. Is there a config file I can put into each share to set the alpha to on or off? IOW, how do I set alpha sorting for each share separately using pyTivoX?
Old 10-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #1045
jsprung

I just picked up a Tivo Premier last week to try ( I'm getting tired of Directv stringing me along) and am very interested in PYTivo. I know PYTivo has been out for several years now and maybe that is why I am having some issues finding out basic setup information so I apologize in advance if this has been discussed much earlier.

I have all my videos stored on a Drobo system externally and PYTivox had no problem finding my VIDEO-TS files or my MP4 files. I guess I must have all these files encoded incorrectly for PYTivo because I get a bunch of different errors depending upon if I am using PYTivo or StreamBaby. This is what is happening:

On all my Video_TS files under PYTivo I get the "copyright" restriction error. An example of my current movie file structure looks like the following: Video/Movies/American Beauty/Video_TS/"a whole bunch of VTS files".

On my Apple or my Netgear media player you just point to the TS files and your fine. On the Tivo, it keeps digging deeper into the file structure so I assume it need to be set up differently. I'm sure this make sense to someone.

For my MP4 files ( all TV shows converted from Handbrake ) nothing shows up on PYTIVO

Now for streambaby I am getting different error my messages:

For my MP4 files, everything shows up beautifully with all the cover art and descriptions intact but when I hit play I get the FFMpeg app crashing on my Mac. For the Video_TS files the same thing happens as well.

Any thoughts, Thx

-Jason
jsprung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #1046
TexasMan
TexasMan

Seems to be a Java error

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb View Post
The problem I'm having with pytivox is that streambaby stops showing up in Showcases after a while.

I go to the Mac, quit pytivoX. Wait 30 seconds or more. Restart it. Go back to the Tivo... it still doesn't show up.

When it works, it works great. I noticed this error in the streambaby log last time I restarted it:

Sat 2010/10/09 13:02:28.513| |main|Main|mdns_type=_tivo-hme._tcp.local. factory=StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,pyTivoX - Conductor.local] port=7290
Exception in thread "JmDNS.SocketListener" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1937)
at javax.jmdns.impl.JmDNSImpl.toUnqualifiedName(JmDNSImpl.java: 1461)
at javax.jmdns.impl.JmDNSImpl.updateRecord(JmDNSImpl.java:933)
at javax.jmdns.impl.JmDNSImpl.handleResponse(JmDNSImpl.java:102 5)
at javax.jmdns.impl.SocketListener.run(SocketListener.java:68)

I installed the latest beta and I get a different Java error:
Sat 2010/10/09 13:25:04.025| |main|Main|mdns_type=_tivo-hme._tcp.local. factory=StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,pyTivoX - Conductor.local] port=7290
Exception in thread "JmDNS(10.local.).SocketListener" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The instance name component of a fully qualified service cannot be empty.
at javax.jmdns.impl.ServiceInfoImpl.checkQualifiedNameMap(Servi ceInfoImpl.java:356)
at javax.jmdns.impl.ServiceInfoImpl.<init>(ServiceInfoImpl.java :197)
at javax.jmdns.impl.ServiceInfoImpl.<init>(ServiceInfoImpl.java :181)
at javax.jmdns.impl.DNSRecord$Pointer.getServiceInfo(DNSRecord. java:553)
at javax.jmdns.impl.DNSRecord$Pointer.getServiceEvent(DNSRecord .java:564)
at javax.jmdns.impl.JmDNSImpl.updateRecord(JmDNSImpl.java:1264)
at javax.jmdns.impl.JmDNSImpl.handleRecord(JmDNSImpl.java:1398)
at javax.jmdns.impl.JmDNSImpl.handleResponse(JmDNSImpl.java:141 7)
at javax.jmdns.impl.SocketListener.run(SocketListener.java:72)
This is what I'd suggested previously that there's some sort of Java error being thrown up most likely due to the last two update of Java by Apple. So far, it seems like no one's willing to try to resolve it so I'll just continue to utilize the copy to aspect rather than the streaming which no longer seems to work with the latest software and updates from Apple.
TexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #1047
grifforama

Quicj question for everyone.
I'm running pytivoX on my premiere, and I see the pytivox app under Showcases and Extras. I don't see Stream Baby Stream anywhere, but I have noticed that when I go into the pytivox app on the Tivo, it's actually streaming using SBS (I check logs and they update when I watch videos)
Is this correct ? Has it been merged into 1 app ?
grifforama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #1048
pilotbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifforama View Post
Quicj question for everyone.
I'm running pytivoX on my premiere, and I see the pytivox app under Showcases and Extras. I don't see Stream Baby Stream anywhere, but I have noticed that when I go into the pytivox app on the Tivo, it's actually streaming using SBS (I check logs and they update when I watch videos)
Is this correct ? Has it been merged into 1 app ?
When you are in the Showcases menu you are using StreamBaby, you are streaming when you play from here. Yes, it says pyTiVoX. When you are in the Now playing list it is pyTivo it is copying/pulling.

BOb
Old 11-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #1049
Doug0915

maximum file size for push?

I've got the latest beta loaded 1.4.1b and noticed that when I tried to push a 7GB mp4 it would almost push the whole thing and then as soon as it would finish the file would get deleted. Is there a maximum file size for pushing .mp4 files to the tivo on pytivox?
Doug0915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #1050
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No, there is no maximum.

Instant deletion happens when the size estimated at the beginning of the transfer is smaller than the actual size of the data transferred. This, in turn, only happens when the file is transcoded (and of course, usually not even then). So it looks like your MP4 is not actually in spec for a push. Either that, or perhaps it's being processed by qtfaststart, and something is going wrong there.