TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #991
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky24 View Post
Does my reading of the log that ffmepg thinks the file has audio but not video seem correct?
Yes it looks like ffmpeg things the MPEG file only has an audio stream. What happens when you take the iTivo decoded MPEG and try to send it back to the Tivo (i.e. without editting it.)

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #992
chucky24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
What happens when you take the iTivo decoded MPEG and try to send it back to the Tivo (i.e. without editting it.)
If I just simply round-trip the file without editing it, pyTivoX sends it back to the TiVo just fine.

Part of my befuddlement here is that the described workflow of editing decoded TiVo files in MPEG Steamclip and then sending them back to the TiVo using pyTivoX used to work just fine. I've done it many times without a hitch. But I haven't done it in four or five months, and since then, I've upgraded from OS X 10.5 to 10.6, and upgraded to pyTivoX 1.3, so there are multiple moving parts here, unfortunately. And thus whatever is going wrong doesn't seem obvious to me.

-----

Without guidance on how to further troubleshoot or fix the file from ffmpeg's point of view, I guess the next thing I'll try is taking ffmpeg out of the pyTivoX app bundle, thus forcing pyTivoX to just send the file over to the TiVo and see if the TiVo can grok the file or not. I assume I can't damage my TiVo by sending it a file it can't handle - that a worst case scenario here is just that the TiVo will hang and I'll have to power cycle it and then delete the file, no?
chucky24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #993
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Generally the TiVo will just drop the connection when fed something it doesn't like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:12 AM   #994
Rdian06

Quote:
If I just simply round-trip the file without editing it, pyTivoX sends it back to the TiVo just fine.

Part of my befuddlement here is that the described workflow of editing decoded TiVo files in MPEG Steamclip and then sending them back to the TiVo using pyTivoX used to work just fine. I've done it many times without a hitch. But I haven't done it in four or five months, and since then, I've upgraded from OS X 10.5 to 10.6, and upgraded to pyTivoX 1.3, so there are multiple moving parts here, unfortunately. And thus whatever is going wrong doesn't seem obvious to me.
Try upgrading pyTivoX's ffmpeg using my Intel Mac build. See:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...08#post7854308

I haven't used MPEG Streamclip in ages so I'm not sure what's happening.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #995
chucky24

Thanks for the help, both wmcbrine and Rdian06.

I will first try Rdian06's build of ffmpeg, and if that doesn't help, I'll try just sending the file over without ffmpeg installed. I'm also going to try the 1.9.3 beta of MPEG Streamclip, to see if that makes an impact.

I shall report back with results after it's all done.

-----

Quote:
I haven't used MPEG Streamclip in ages so I'm not sure what's happening.
Do you use something else for MPEG-2 editing? I'm not aware I had any other options on the platform.

(I keep meaning to research if there is some well-working automated comskip software I can run on Windows using VMWare, since I'm under the impression that such an animal doesn't exist on OS X, but I've been lazy on that front.)
Old 07-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #996
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
(I keep meaning to research if there is some well-working automated comskip software I can run on Windows using VMWare, since I'm under the impression that such an animal doesn't exist on OS X, but I've been lazy on that front.)
FWIW, iTiVo has comskip. It's billed as an "experimental" feature, as I understand it, but appears to work fine for folks who've used it.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #997
chucky24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
FWIW, iTiVo has comskip. It's billed as an "experimental" feature, as I understand it, but appears to work fine for folks who've used it.
I was under the firm impression that the comskip feature in iTiVo doesn't work well, but I no longer remember how I arrived at that impression.

After arriving at that impression, I tried KMTTG, which was advertised as working well for comskip, but only on SD material. (I've used KMTTG on SD material, and my experience was that it works pretty damn well about half the time, and not at all the other half of the time. But it's been a while, as I mostly watch HD material. So the state of the art may be different on that one too.)

In short, I may not have a clue what I'm talking about here. And since this is turning into something far off-topic for the thread, I think it may be wiser for me to just go review the relevant threads rather than continuing to hijack this one.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #998
unkle77

I just started having problems with pytivox 1.3

Once i start up pytivox and click apply.. I can see my folder in the Now playing list but when i go into it, it says that there are no recording there.... even though there are plenty of AVI's in the folder.

UPDATE:

I just reinstalled pytivox 1.3 and now i cant even see the folders. seems like it all went down the sh__hole.... sigh.. so aggravating.

I have little snitch installed... didnt change anything between yesterday and today. I even went into the preferences and told it to STOP and still nothing... anyone else having similar problems?

Last edited by unkle77 : 07-07-2010 at 10:40 PM.
unkle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #999
unkle77

update again:

So after fiddling around with pretty much anything I can think of... I think it may be the tivo wireless adapter that crapped out on me.

I repositioned it so that it is literally 10 ft away from my time capsule (the only obstruction is a wood panel where i store the capsule) and I can logon to the network within tivo and get 68-70% signal strength. BUT when i try to transfer avi's it goes at a painstakingly slow pace and when i try to view the folder it takes 5-10 seconds for files to show up or tivo just says "there are no videos in this folder" when there are.

can someone confirm my suspicion or give me some other avenues to get my pytivox-->tivo speeds back to normal?
unkle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #1000
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle77 View Post
update again:

So after fiddling around with pretty much anything I can think of... I think it may be the tivo wireless adapter that crapped out on me.

I repositioned it so that it is literally 10 ft away from my time capsule (the only obstruction is a wood panel where i store the capsule) and I can logon to the network within tivo and get 68-70% signal strength. BUT when i try to transfer avi's it goes at a painstakingly slow pace and when i try to view the folder it takes 5-10 seconds for files to show up or tivo just says "there are no videos in this folder" when there are.

can someone confirm my suspicion or give me some other avenues to get my pytivox-->tivo speeds back to normal?
Perhaps another wireless network is operating on the same channel as yours causing collisions? For 802.11g equipment, there are really only three non-overlapping channels: 1, 6, 11. So first try power cycling the time capsule. If that doesn't help, try changing the channel it's using.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #1001
PoobBubes

StreamBaby not showing up on Tivo

I just installed pyTivoX on my iMac (10.6.4). The pyTivo part works fine, but no matter what I try I cannot get StreamBaby to show up on the Tivo (Premiere). Does anyone know some things to try? I have tried to open a port in my router and I have manually set the ip in streambaby.ini to my pc's ip address. Are there any other thing I can try?
PoobBubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #1002
James T. Savidge

pyTivoX anc TiVo Premier XL

Greetings,

I was originally exploring using pyTivoX as a way to get around the problems that my TiVo Premiere was having seeing my playlists form YouTube. Yesterday I finally got my playlist to show up my making sure that I had something in the playlist’s Description field.

On my way to getting that to work, I still haven’t been able to get one part of pyTivoX to work: push.

When running it, I can see my shared folders on my TiVo and I don’t seem to have any problems getting it to pull videos from my Mac. However I haven’t been able to get the file to be pushed from the Mac. (I haven’t even tried to generate any metadata files yet.)

in the “Push Support” section of the pyTivoX preferences, I have entered the email address that the TiVo website asked me to use as my login ID, and I have entered the same password I use on their website. I have several of my shared folders entered in the “Shared Directories” list, but nothing is being moved over to my TiVo Premier.

All the files I’m trying to push are m4v format. They can be pulled to the TiVo, but can those file types also be pushed?

If so, what can I do to diagnose what might be preventing the push from working?

Config:

MacOS X 10.6.4
TiVo Premiere XL
pyTivo 1.3
File types - *.m4v

Any suggestions?

James T. Savidge, Monday, July 19, 2010
James T. Savidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #1003
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Savidge View Post
Greetings,

I was originally exploring using pyTivoX as a way to get around the problems that my TiVo Premiere was having seeing my playlists form YouTube. Yesterday I finally got my playlist to show up my making sure that I had something in the playlist’s Description field.

On my way to getting that to work, I still haven’t been able to get one part of pyTivoX to work: push.

When running it, I can see my shared folders on my TiVo and I don’t seem to have any problems getting it to pull videos from my Mac. However I haven’t been able to get the file to be pushed from the Mac. (I haven’t even tried to generate any metadata files yet.)

in the “Push Support” section of the pyTivoX preferences, I have entered the email address that the TiVo website asked me to use as my login ID, and I have entered the same password I use on their website. I have several of my shared folders entered in the “Shared Directories” list, but nothing is being moved over to my TiVo Premier.

All the files I’m trying to push are m4v format. They can be pulled to the TiVo, but can those file types also be pushed?

If so, what can I do to diagnose what might be preventing the push from working?

Config:

MacOS X 10.6.4
TiVo Premiere XL
pyTivo 1.3
File types - *.m4v

Any suggestions?

James T. Savidge, Monday, July 19, 2010
"Push" means to initiate the video transfer from the pyTivo web interface rather than using the Tivo's Now Playing interface (pull). It doesn't automatically transfer (unless you script, but that's another topic).

See:

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...142.html#10142

Old 07-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #1004
James T. Savidge

Re: pyTivoX and TiVo Premier XL

Quote:
"Push" means to initiate the video transfer from the pyTivo web interface rather than using the Tivo's Now Playing interface (pull). It doesn't automatically transfer (unless you script, but that's another topic).

See:

[ Link to the pyTivo forum was here ]
Thank you. That other thread helped clear up some of my misconceptions, and after a bit of bumbling around I finally got it working. (I’ll update that other thread so others can LFMF.)

Thanks.

James T. Savidge, Wednesday, July 21, 2010
James T. Savidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #1005
TexasMan
TexasMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoobBubes View Post
I just installed pyTivoX on my iMac (10.6.4). The pyTivo part works fine, but no matter what I try I cannot get StreamBaby to show up on the Tivo (Premiere). Does anyone know some things to try? I have tried to open a port in my router and I have manually set the ip in streambaby.ini to my pc's ip address. Are there any other thing I can try?
I've got the same issue. Program installed and working fine prior to the update and now the PyTivo part works fine. I can push content to the Tivo and the sharepoint shows up as usual in the Now Playing list BUT Streambaby appears to be missing in action as no sharepoint appears under Music, Photos and Showcases at all.

Nothing else has changed except for the operating system update (I do believe Apple also pushed out a Java update as well) so I've been using the PyTivo portion only but I hate copying the videos over if I only want to stream them.

Other third-party streaming solution such as Serviio, etc. seem to work fine but these stream to the TV not the Tivo and lose some functionality. I'm guessing Streambaby is due for an update (current version .29).
TexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #1006
JF0rd

When I open pytivox on my mac mini. It opens, but I never get the window to add folders. This is on the latest updates of Snow Leopard.

Any ideas?
JF0rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:49 PM   #1007
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF0rd View Post
When I open pytivox on my mac mini. It opens, but I never get the window to add folders. This is on the latest updates of Snow Leopard.

Any ideas?
Are you clicking the blue + icon in the lower right side?
mec1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #1008
ebf

Hi all.

I'm not sure if this is a TiVo or a pyTiVo issue...

I have been using pyTiVo with my Series2 boxes successfully for ages. We just added a TiVo HDXL to the collection and am finding some files, avi and mp4, that I pull or push to the new box are showing the wrong aspect ratio-- tall and squished instead of letter boxed as they appear when pulled/pushed via my Series2 box connected to the same TV (and the same source files). I have a 10+ year old RCA brand standard def 4:3 TV connected to my new TiVo by rca cables. I've tried changing the TiVo video output settings, currently 480p, but all options result in the same visual output; the TV aspect option on the TiVo, classic 4:3; and aspect correction mode, panel, but nothing makes my transferred videos normal looking.

I vaguely remember reading about some additional setting in pyTiVo for the Series3 and HD boxes, but can't find it now.

Can someone give me some tips?

Thanks.
ebf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #1009
pilotbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebf View Post
Hi all.

I'm not sure if this is a TiVo or a pyTiVo issue...

I have been using pyTiVo with my Series2 boxes successfully for ages. We just added a TiVo HDXL to the collection and am finding some files, avi and mp4, that I pull or push to the new box are showing the wrong aspect ratio-- tall and squished instead of letter boxed as they appear when pulled/pushed via my Series2 box connected to the same TV (and the same source files). I have a 10+ year old RCA brand standard def 4:3 TV connected to my new TiVo by rca cables. I've tried changing the TiVo video output settings, currently 480p, but all options result in the same visual output; the TV aspect option on the TiVo, classic 4:3; and aspect correction mode, panel, but nothing makes my transferred videos normal looking.

I vaguely remember reading about some additional setting in pyTiVo for the Series3 and HD boxes, but can't find it now.

Can someone give me some tips?

Thanks.
"Note: Before streaming, make sure your TiVo is set to the "Panel" aspect mode. If it is not, streaming videos will not display in the correct aspect ratio."

This is from this awesome thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=7097286

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #1010
thewebgal
MacAphile AV geek

Been watching the BBC video series "Life", which I have in mkv files - 1.9g for a 58 minutes episode. Got them on a SHARE drive and hit pyTivoX in the Showcases settings to play.
The resolution and audio are amazing, but its such a large file that I have to let it preload to some extent or else I very quickly overrun the buffer. Part of that is because my Airport Extreme (N) is 1 floor up and at the opposite end of the house from my Airport express (N) so there is plaster and all kinds of other things in the way. But I just revamped my network settings and after watching an episode today, the TIVOHD "settings" screen says its getting remote file loads at 7.9Meg/sec - which seems to be mighty good (it was just under 4Meg yesterday).

My best guess is the only way to improve this, short of moving the TIVOHD to my office, would be to run ethernet between my office and the TV room, and hang the Express(N) at the end of the cable as an extended network.

What say all of you to this?

Last edited by thewebgal : 08-01-2010 at 08:03 PM.
thewebgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #1011
ebf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebf View Post
... I vaguely remember reading about some additional setting in pyTiVo for the Series3 and HD boxes, but can't find it now...
I think I found the setting. It set aspect169=true under the "[_tivo_HD]" section (could have also gone under the specific tivo section). The same transferred videos now display correctly. However, TiVo downloaded "on demand" web videos still look stretched. I've only received a few of those and have not been able to check the source RSS feeds to see if it is the downloading by TiVo or just how the original file is.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #1012
ebf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
"Note: Before streaming, make sure your TiVo is set to the "Panel" aspect mode. If it is not, streaming videos will not display in the correct aspect ratio."
Thanks for the link! Does that mean the transfer is recorded differently based on the TiVo aspect mode setting and will not change after recording when you toggle the aspect mode? Seems strange.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #1013
sepstein
Tivolutionary

First time with pyTivo.

I've installed pyTivoX, and can get the streaming to work (StreamBaby), but not pyTivo itself. My Now Playing list will show the share, and when I select it, I get the header but no file listing.

When I exit from the share, the Now Playing list doesn't show the share any longer.

Any hints?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #1014
sepstein
Tivolutionary

Seems it is in part a firewall issue - turning off the firewall of my Mac allow me to see the directory.

I've been having mixed luck in pulling shows, though. Most .tivo recordings fail immediately. Another got about 10% on to the TiVo before dying.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #1015
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

pyTiVo and my MAK

Does anyone know what use, if any, pyTiVo makes of my MAK when transferring files back to TiVo?

I typically use iTiVo to fetch recordings from my TiVos and use the "decrypt" mode to un-encode my MAK from the recordings.

When I transfer recordings back to TiVo, does pyTiVo use my MAK in any way to mark the recordings as "belonging to" my MAK?

When transferring recordings from my Mac to a TiVo DVR via pyTiVo, does the recording get re-encrypted by TiVo to include its MAK? Hey, they might be home movies, for all TiVo knows. Would it bother to encrypt pyTiVo'd recordings with a MAK?

My sister is sending me her Series 2 TiVo to upgrade with a new drive and she wants some recordings saved. I intend to transfer the recordings to my Mac via iTiVo, upgrade the drive, then transfer them back via pyTiVo. I'm wondering if I need to put her MAK into pyTiVo when transferring her recordings back to the new drive.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #1016
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
Does anyone know what use, if any, pyTiVo makes of my MAK when transferring files back to TiVo?
None. It's used for extraction and decryption. Well, technically, if you push a .TiVo file, or transfer an HD .TiVo file to a Series 2, that requires decryption, so those are the only cases.

Quote:
When I transfer recordings back to TiVo, does pyTiVo use my MAK in any way to mark the recordings as "belonging to" my MAK?
No. However, the TiVo itself will remux the recordings to its internal format, and you'll only be able to extract them again in the form of an encrypted .TiVo file (or not at all, in the case of Pushed recordings).

The internal format the TiVo uses isn't the same as a .TiVo file, either. Every extraction involves a remux and encryption. (This is the main reason it's so freaking slow.) And no, it does not care where the programs originally came from.

Quote:
I'm wondering if I need to put her MAK into pyTiVo when transferring her recordings back to the new drive.
No.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #1017
ItsRounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMan View Post
I've got the same issue. Program installed and working fine prior to the update and now the PyTivo part works fine. I can push content to the Tivo and the sharepoint shows up as usual in the Now Playing list BUT Streambaby appears to be missing in action as no sharepoint appears under Music, Photos and Showcases at all.
It's a bit late to help you but perhaps others will find this useful in the future. When I had the same thing happen, I was able to fix it by clicking on the large green check mark apply button. Once I did that and went back to Music, Photos, and Showcases my streams showed back up in the list. I didn't change any thing but something about clicking on the apply button did the trick.
ItsRounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #1018
photosurrealism

I just recently got a TiVo Premiere and wanted to use the ReplayTV plugin in pyTivoX to access my DVArchive.

I put the plugin in the plugins directory in the App wrapper and added a section to my conf file that looks right, but no dice. Is that the right way to add a plugin to pyTivoX?

Figuring I'd try to see if it was looking at the plugin at all, I copied the conf file back into the app wrapper (because I didn't know where it'd look out of the App context) and ran the pyTivo.py manually and it said:

Quote:
Error no admin plugin exists. Check the type setting for your share.
ERROR: pyTivo:ReplayTV - 'module' object has no attribute 'get'
Does that mean the replaytv plugin is broken (or conforms to an older API or something)? Or did I configure it wrong? (I copied the example section that came with substituting in my hostname.) Does anyone else have this working?

If I'm doing the right thing as far as pyTivoX is concerned, yes, I'll go over to the main pyTivo thread next.
photosurrealism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #1019
TexasMan
TexasMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRounder View Post
It's a bit late to help you but perhaps others will find this useful in the future. When I had the same thing happen, I was able to fix it by clicking on the large green check mark apply button. Once I did that and went back to Music, Photos, and Showcases my streams showed back up in the list. I didn't change any thing but something about clicking on the apply button did the trick.
Thanks for the suggestion but no dice. It appears as though the problem is with StreamBaby so hopefully the developer will take a look at this as I'm tired of copying files to the Tivo instead of being able to stream them.
TexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #1020
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMan View Post
Thanks for the suggestion but no dice. It appears as though the problem is with StreamBaby so hopefully the developer will take a look at this as I'm tired of copying files to the Tivo instead of being able to stream them.
Have you looked at the StreamBaby log to see if it says what is going on?

Have you tried deleting your pyTivoX user preferences folder and starting fresh?

Like others I have never had issues accessing StreamBaby with pyTivoX on my TiVo. Running 10.6.4. Apple's updates have never caused issues for me.

You mentioned StreamBaby v29 being available, however pyTivoX has not been updated by Yoav since Aug 2009 and contains build r253 or r239. If you want to try v29 I suggest you manually update pyTivoX yourself with the latest StreamBaby to see if it fixes anything for you.

Last edited by Iluvatar : 09-01-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote