TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #961
pilotbob

I found out why Stream Baby wasn't working. Apparently I had installed an update to my routers firmware that was pretty buggy. It also blocked bonjour (mDNS packets) which I assume is what streambaby used.

Once I updated to the v2 linksys firmware (for my v1 device the horror) streambaby once again worked.

Thanks for all the help folks. At least I go a newer version of pyTivo and ffmpeg into pyTivoX out of all this.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #962
cjsiv

I am a newbie to tivo but am loving it so far. Really prefer the streambaby portion as it works very well for me. I have read through extensively (I do believe) and I have seen others with the issue I am having. I downloaded and installed pytivox, have java updated, etc. When I start pytivo up, both it and streambaby appear on my tivo. After a few minutes, streambaby disappears from the tivo. I have to relaunch it on my imac, and then it works again. The constant dropout is getting kinda annoying since the computer is downstairs. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am running an airport extreme. My imac and the tivo are connected via ethernet. Tivo is an hd and hdxl. I am very competent when it comes to electronics, but can only do the basics with networking. Like I said, any insight is greatly appreciated. Other than the dropouts, it is a phenomenal piece of software. Thanks in advance!
cjsiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #963
Phantom Gremlin

You should post in the Streambaby thread; maybe someone there can help.

Pytivox is a front end that runs both pytivo and streambaby. But if pytivox starts streambaby and then streambaby crashes, it's probably not something that pytivox can fix. Of course, pytivox can monitor if streambaby is still running, and restart it, but that seems cumbersome.

At any rate, I use pytivox just for the pytivo portion, I know very little about the streambaby portion.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #964
cjsiv

Think I fixed it. I removed everything with apptrap. Downloaded pytivox v1.3b and it has been up and running all day today without dropouts.
cjsiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #965
RealityCheck

PyTiVoX refuses to "push" h.264 files to my Series3 without transcoding to MPEG-2 first. I try selecting files to "push" from the web interface, but nothing happens. Any advice? Sorry for the anemic details.

PyTivoX 1.3 running on Mac OS X 10.5.8 PowerPC (iMac 2.1GHz G5).
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #966
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
PyTiVoX refuses to "push" h.264 files to my Series3 without transcoding to MPEG-2 first. I try selecting files to "push" from the web interface, but nothing happens. Any advice? Sorry for the anemic details.

PyTivoX 1.3 running on Mac OS X 10.5.8 PowerPC (iMac 2.1GHz G5).
Your stated problem is self-contradictory. In the first sentence you're saying that the "push" works, but transcodes to MPEG-2. The second sentence indicates "push" doesn't work at all. Which is it?

Also, anemic details evoke anemic answers...

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #967
RealityCheck

I would like to push h.264 AVC files to my TiVo *without* transcoding them to MPEG-2. PyTivoX is supposably capable of this, but seems to fail when I attempt it. The attempts to "push" files through the web browser bare no results. I don't even get an error message.

Last edited by RealityCheck : 06-08-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #968
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

What do you get? A blank page? Or what?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #969
RealityCheck

Using Safari and Camino (with PyTivoX 1.3 loaded), I go to http://localhost:9032/. Next, I click on "My Share" and go to the list. I select an AVC file from "My Share", click on the check box, make sure my S3 is the target and click "Send to TiVo". The "loading" icon appears on the Safari bar. When the "loading" icon disappears, the list on the webpage remains. Nothing more happens.

The files stream fine with the "Streambaby" portion of PyTivoX (all are in .mp4 format AVC). They just refuse to "push".
Old 06-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #970
Wil
Senile Member

pyTivoX 1.3b6?

I just saw a reference to version 1.3b6. I have McBrine's 1.3b (his message here 1/28/2010). Is there a b6 somewhere?

I also noticed mjboyle in a recent message in this thread simply replaced the "pyTivo-wmcbrine" resource file with the contents of the newest branch code and deleted the .pyc files. He did this to solve a specific problem, but would this be a good idea generally, to keep current?
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:20 AM   #971
Daiv

I'm having a problem with pyTivoX 1.3. I have a MacbookPro running 10.6.3 and have been running pyTivoX for some number of months with no problems. About the same time I updated to 10.6.3, I signed up for Tivos Beta testing program on my TivoHD. Now my Tivo can see my folders but always tells me there are no recordings when I try to navigate them. I have deleted folders, selected new folders, renamed folders, restarted and re-installed pyTivoX, restarted my Mac and I get the same results every time. I even restarted my router several times, just in case. No luck!
Any suggestions?
Daiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #972
jeaent

New to this. My Share folder shows up on "now showing," but folder remains empty.
jeaent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #973
jeaent

Forgot to add. Mac OS 10.5.8
jeaent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:13 AM   #974
Daiv

Nevermind... I pulled out my Series 2 DT and it's working just fine with pyTivoX. I'm made to assume there are some settings in the Beta Software on my Series 3 that is blocking the content transfer.

Note to other Beta testers, PyTivoX will not work with your boxes.
Daiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #975
chucky24

My Mac is My TiVo's Router & pyTivoX Won't Work

Apologies in advance if this has been addressed previously in the thread. I've done a cursory read of all 33 pages of the thread, and while I've seen others touching on this issue, I can't find a solution that works for me.

------

The problem in a nutshell:

My Mac Mini and my TiVoHD are on different subnets, and so my TiVo can't see the pyTivoX. I'm mainly interested in pyTivo functionality, although Streambaby functionality would be nice as well, but neither work.

------

My setup:

My WAN router communicates with my Mac Mini HTPC box via a nice 5ghz Wifi-n radio. I don't wish to buy a Wifi-n radio receiver for just my TiVo, both to save money, and to avoid the clutter of another box and power brick in the cramped area around my TV.

So I'm using the Mac Mini as a radio receiver / router for the TiVo, connecting the Mac Mini to the TiVo via ethernet cable. I then enabled Internet Sharing on the Mini, sharing the Airport connection to Ethernet, and pretty much everything works just fine, with the exception of pyTivoX. Here's a list of what works with my setup:

- iTivo
- Roxio's Mac2Tivo
- Roxio's TiVo Transfer
- Netflix Streaming and Amazon VOD on the TiVo

Again, pyTivoX is the only thing I can't get working with this setup.

-----

My settings:

TiVo Network Settings (These are manually set)

IP Address: 192.168.2.2
Gateway Address: 192.168.2.1
Broadcast Address: 192.168.2.255

Mac Mini Airport Settings (These are where the Mini's sits on the LAN)

IP Address: 192.168.1.4
Router: 192.168.1.1

Mac Mini Ethernet Settings (These are how I manually set up the Mini to function as the TiVo's router)

IP Address: 192.168.2.1

------

Possible solutions:

- Change something in the pyTivoX config files.

I've tried editing the config files in ~/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX, but either I don't know what I'm doing, or it's not possible.

This is obviously my preferred way of solving the problem.

- Change something in my Mac Mini Ethernet Settings.

If there is some way to put the TiVo on the same subnet as my Mini without mucking up everything else on the TiVo that currently works perfectly, I'd be happy to solve the issue that way.

I originally put the TiVo on a different subnet purely because I couldn't figure out any other way to get the Mini to properly work as the TiVo's router if I put it on the same subnet, but I'm no networking genius, and perhaps I'm missing something obvious here.

- Either buy the TiVo a separate router or give up on using pyTivoX.

Obviously, this doesn't seem like much of a solution to me at all, but if that's where things are headed, I'd love to know.

------

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.
chucky24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #976
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

Hey wmc and everyone-

I have a PyTivoX question. I discovered today that the latest version of Handbrake will encode with "Soft Subtitles". In the past, it could only hard-burn the subtitles onto an encode, so you couldn't turn them on or off. I tested a Handbrake encode today and it works great in Quicktime Player under OS X Leopard. Subtitles can be turned on and off.

I then transferred the same file to my Tivo HD with PyTivoX 1.3b6. Unfortunately, my Tivo HD does not recognize the presence of Subtitles or Closed Captions and is unable to display them. Is this a Tivo software issue, or are the Subtitles perhaps being stripped by PyTivoX during encode?

Dave
kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #977
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky24 View Post
...My Mac Mini and my TiVoHD are on different subnets...
I'm sure you probably tried it before, but how about:

TiVo
IP Address: 192.168.1.15
Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1

Mac Mini Airport (unchanged)
IP Address: 192.168.1.4

Mac Mini Ethernet
IP Address: 192.168.1.10

All should have the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0).

I'm not a Mac guy, and it seems the terminology is a bit different (Router in place of Default Gateway?), but creating different networks and/or subnets usually shouldn't be required in a typical household.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #978
chucky24

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
I'm sure you probably tried it before, but how about ... I'm not a Mac guy
I actually haven't tried that, given that everything I've read about using OS X's Internet Sharing emphasizes the necessity of creating a second subnet for the shared connection, and given that everything else connecting the TiVo to my LAN and WAN works like a charm as is, with the exception of pyTivoX.

I assume it has something to do with the fact that a Mac isn't really a full router, and can't work as a "bridge". But I really don't have solid knowledge of the finer points (or even the rougher points) of LAN networking, and your suggestion could well work perfectly. But, again, all the tutorials I've read on the OS X software feature strongly advise against it.

So, hopefully, someone with good pyTivoX knowledge will pop on here and tell me what to do with the config files to let pyTivoX send its beacon on the second subnet. If that doesn't happen in a couple of days, I'll try your suggestion, and report back the network mayhem or success.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #979
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

Chucky-

Why not just buy a Tivo Wireless N adapter for your Tivo? Then it will be talking to the same router as the Mini and your subnet problem is solved. It's cheap, no power brick, and tiny.

Just a thought.

Kupe
Old 06-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #980
chucky24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupe View Post
Why not just buy a Tivo Wireless N adapter for your Tivo? Then it will be talking to the same router as the Mini and your subnet problem is solved. It's cheap, no power brick, and tiny.
1) Well, $70 + tax is cheap compared to expensive things. But I'd rather spend the money on a 1 TB HD, or buy more Amazon VOD, or whatever.

2) There is a non-insignificant power brick in the plug.

3) Cable clutter is an issue where my Mini and TiVo live, and this adds two.

4) And perhaps even more importantly, I can get all the network connectivity I need, and I can get all the TiVo LAN and WAN interaction one can get (with the lone exception of PyTivoX) with my existing gear.

Other than pyTivoX, the TiVo is living quite happily on the second subnet. The TiVo can talk to the internet. The Mini can talk to the TiVo. The Mini can even send a beacon to the TiVo (using Roxio's Mac2Tivo). And with one line of UNIX, all the other computers on the LAN can talk to the TiVo.

So, I'm thinking I perhaps don't have a subnet problem to solve. I'm thinking I (hopefully) just need to find a line to put into one of pyTivoX's config files to have it send its beacon out to the second subnet, and that's the problem to be solved.

The issue of multiple subnets and specifying them in config files in pyTivoX is touched on earlier in the thread, but the context was a bit different, and I couldn't suss out the meaning.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #981
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
So, I'm thinking I perhaps don't have a subnet problem to solve.
Perhaps that's just wishful thinking.

The Unix underpinnings of OS X can help a great deal in diagnosing problems like this, but you must learn more about them. I can only point you in a general direction, since I have no way to replicate your exact environment. The following may seem like basic information for "hackers", but since you didn't do it I assume you're not familiar with it.

You can examine IP packets sent/received at any interface by using the command line program "tcpdump". You run this using a command line interface called "terminal". You can usually start terminal by searching for that word in spotlight. It should be the "Top Hit". Unfortunately tcpdump is a complex program for those unfamiliar with it. I assume you are unfamiliar because if you were familiar you would already be using it.

In order for tcpdump to know what to do, it must know what "interface" to use. Your wireless connection uses one interface, your wired ethernet uses another. You can find out the names of the interfaces on your computer by issuing the command (in terminal):
ifconfig
On my 3 y/o iMac this command produces (partial output):

Code:
en1: flags=8823<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 00:1c:b3:72:b2:d7 
	media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive
	supported media: autoselect

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet 192.168.17.80 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.17.255
	ether 00:1b:63:95:1c:4f 
	media: autoselect (100baseTX <half-duplex>) status: active
	supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
The above may differ for the Mini. I don't know since I've never owned a mini.

Once you have identified the two relevant interfaces you need to start two separate tcpdump sessions in parallel. You do this by opening two separate terminal windows. The commands for each will be similar.

If you are already an administrator on your computer you can issue the tcpdump commands more easily. If not, then the easiest thing is to do all this from a user who has administrative privileges.
sudo tcpdump -l -n -i en0
sudo tcpdump -l -n -i en1
You will be prompted for your administrator password by the sudo command.

The above will produce timestamped packet dumps for each interface. If your Mini is properly routing, you will see an IP packet arrive at an interface and very shortly later depart out of the other interface. The IP addresses will be re-written by the Mini, so it may be a little difficult to follow whats going on.

Good luck.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #982
Rdian06

Quote:
The problem in a nutshell:

My Mac Mini and my TiVoHD are on different subnets, and so my TiVo can't see the pyTivoX. I'm mainly interested in pyTivo functionality, although Streambaby functionality would be nice as well, but neither work.
As far as I know the Zeroconf discovery protocol REQUIRES the Tivo and pyTivo machine to be on the same subnet. The pyTivo machine sends broadcast packets to announce it's presence. Those broadcasts won't cross subnet boundaries.

In your case, your Mac Mini has TWO network interfaces. One that is on the same subnet as pyTivo and one that is the Internet connection.

It sounds like pyTivo might be using the Internet connection to send it's broadcasts rather than using the second interface that provides the private subnet the Tivo is on.

You could disable the newer Zeroconf style beacons and use the old beacon mechanism which allows you to select which subnet to send the beacons to.

In your pyTivo.conf, you would need to set:

zerconf = false
beacon = <tivo IP or tivo subnet broadcast address>

However, once you do so, you won't be able to use pyTivoX's gui to set any options as it will overwrite the manual settings you added.

For more information on how to use the beacon config option, see:

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/i..._pyTivo#beacon

Old 06-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #983
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupe View Post
Hey wmc and everyone-

I have a PyTivoX question. I discovered today that the latest version of Handbrake will encode with "Soft Subtitles". In the past, it could only hard-burn the subtitles onto an encode, so you couldn't turn them on or off. I tested a Handbrake encode today and it works great in Quicktime Player under OS X Leopard. Subtitles can be turned on and off.

I then transferred the same file to my Tivo HD with PyTivoX 1.3b6. Unfortunately, my Tivo HD does not recognize the presence of Subtitles or Closed Captions and is unable to display them. Is this a Tivo software issue, or are the Subtitles perhaps being stripped by PyTivoX during encode?

Dave
Closed Captions and subtitles use different formats. Soft subs are stored as a separate stream in the video container. Close Captions are encoded into the video frame in an unused area.

If you want subs that can be turned on an off during playback, then you need to use t2sami to convert the soft sub into Closed Captions.

Otherwise, you'd have to burn the subs into the video directly with Handbrake or mencoder. Last I checked, ffmpeg didn't support burning the subs in yet.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #984
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
If you want subs that can be turned on an off during playback, then you need to use t2sami to convert the soft sub into Closed Captions.
Thanks for the info! Alas it appears t2sami is Windows-only. I guess for now I'll stick with HardSubs.

Kupe
Old 06-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #985
chucky24

Rdian06 Saves the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
In your pyTivo.conf, you would need to set:

zerconf = false
beacon = <tivo IP or tivo subnet broadcast address>

However, once you do so, you won't be able to use pyTivoX's gui to set any options as it will overwrite the manual settings you added.
And Rdian06 saves the day.

I didn't even need the "zeroconf" line. I just edited the "beacon" line in my pyTivo.conf file, and it works. Though I don't have a need for Streambaby, I tried adding changing the "ip" line of my streambaby.ini file, and Streambaby also works.

So, in short, pyTivoX works just fine with the TiVo on a second subnet. Someone should add it to the FAQ.

Of course that means I lose the use of Yoav's GUI, which I'm not thrilled about, but life goes on. And I've discovered wmcbrine's web interface, which is slightly easier than editing the conf file when I want to change my shares.

------

And since I've lost use of the GUI, and since Yoav seems to have left us to fend for ourselves, if anyone is still working on the project, may I humbly suggest a new feature for pyTivoX to allow specifying the pyTivo beacon somehow without disabling the GUI features?

I'm not even suggesting putting it into the GUI prefs, (though that would be nice). But even allowing for a "pyTivo-user.conf" file in the same way that there is a "streambaby-user.ini" file would take care of the issue. After reading more carefully through all 33 pages of the thread, I notice that I am not alone in having my TiVo on a second subnet, and given that it's pretty easy to get pyTivoX working on the second subnet on a technical level...
Old 06-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #986
chucky24

File That Should pyTivo Won't pyTivo

However, I am having one other problem. It may belong more in the pyTivo thread than here, but since I'm already here, and since wmcbrine seems to check in on this thread, here goes:

I have a file which pyTivo failed to transfer due to "copyright reasons". Having just read all 33 pages of the thread, I understand that isn't what's really going on.

The file

- Transfered and decoded a file from my TiVo to my Mac using iTivo.
- Edited out the commercials by hand using MPEG Streamclip.
- File plays just fine on the Mac using VLC, Toast Video Player, and EyeTV.

My confusion

At this point, I assume I have an mpg2 file, all ready for the TiVo in native format, and one that needs no transcoding. I'm befuddled as to why transcoding fails, since to my (likely incorrect) understanding, no transcoding should be needed. The file should just be sent natively to the TiVo, no?

And FWIW, I've used this precise workflow in the past with great success multiple times. Though I should note that now I'm on 10.6 and pyTivoX 1.3, while the last time I did this both my OS and my pyTivoX were of previous versions.

Beyond my wanting to solve the issue of this particular file, I'm curious to figure out if I just bring a file from TiVo to Mac, decrypt it, and then send it right back to the TiVo, it shouldn't get transcoded, right?

And if so, and given that the TiVo seems to be just fine with files edited via MPEG Streamclip, is there anything in the pyTivo.conf file that I can set to force pyTivoX to not even bothering to try to transcode a file and to just send it natively?

The log

(I've tried to clip it down to only the relevant part, but if more of the log is needed, I can certainly post more.)

Code:
Input #0, ac3, from '/Volumes/FW Media/TiVo Movies/NBA Finals/NBA Basketball - Finals Game 7.mpg':
  Duration: 59:24:53.68, bitrate: 384 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 384 kb/s
At least one output file must be specified

DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:failed at vCodec
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:failed at mapVideo
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:failed at vWidth/vHeight
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:failed at vFps
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:aFreq=48000; vFps=; container=ac3; kbps=384; mapAudio=[('0.0', '')]; vHeight=; vCodec=; Supported=False; aKbps=384; par=None; millisecs=213893680; par2=None; par1=None; mapVideo=None; vWidth=; dar1=None; aCodec=ac3
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:FALSE, file not supported /Volumes/FW Media/TiVo Movies/NBA Finals/NBA Basketball - Finals Game 7.mpg
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.2.2 [29/Jun/2010 12:13:52] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=NBA%20Finals&SortOrder=!CaptureDate&ItemCount=1&AnchorItem=%2FNBA%2520Finals%2FNBA%2520Basketball%2520-%2520Finals%2520Game%25207.mpg&AnchorOffset=-1&Filter=x-tivo-container%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolder,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F* HTTP/1.1" 200 -
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:CACHE HIT! /Volumes/FW Media/TiVo Movies/NBA Finals/NBA Basketball - Finals Game 7.mpg
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:FALSE, file not supported /Volumes/FW Media/TiVo Movies/NBA Finals/NBA Basketball - Finals Game 7.mpg
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.2.2 [29/Jun/2010 12:13:52] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=TVBusQuery&Container=NBA%20Finals&File=%2FNBA%20Basketball%20-%20Finals%20Game%207.mpg HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.2.2 [29/Jun/2010 12:13:58] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryFormats&SourceFormat=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg HTTP/1.1" 200 -
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:CACHE HIT! /Volumes/FW Media/TiVo Movies/NBA Finals/NBA Basketball - Finals Game 7.mpg

Old 06-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #987
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
And I've discovered wmcbrine's web interface
Don't give me credit for that -- it's KRKeegan's work. I've only revised it slightly.

Re: your next post, it looks like ffmpeg couldn't read the file for some reason. The failure is not that it can't transcode it, but that it can't even get basic info about the video stream, which it needs in order to decide whether or not it has to transcode it. You could force it to go by the extension, just passing through all ".mpg" files, by disabling ffmpeg entirely. But it would be better, if possible, to figure out what's wrong with the file, from ffmpeg's perspective.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #988
chucky24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
But it would be better, if possible, to figure out what's wrong with the file, from ffmpeg's perspective.
Ah. But I don't care about ffmpeg's perspective here. I'm generally opposed to transcoding down from broadcast mpg2.

All I care about is TiVo's perspective here. If TiVo can't handle playback of the file, then I'd become interested in what's wrong with the file. (And while I'd be interested for curiosity's sake in figuring out why MPEG Streamclip was suddenly borking my files from TiVo's perspective, in a worst case scenario I can semi-happily live with just letting the Mac Mini handle playback. The remote control interface isn't nearly as elegant, but I prefer that to the loss in quality inherent in transcoding. I never playback files on the TiVo that didn't originate as files on TiVo.)

Or put another way, I'm guessing my next troubleshooting step is to figure out the magic pyTivo configuration line to disable ffmpeg if I'm feeding it an .mpg file extension. After all, what do I have to lose other than possibly having to power cycle the TiVo?

(However, if there is some simple way for me to run some type of ffmpeg diagnostics on the file that you think would be helpful, I could certainly go that way. My uneducated reading of the log is that the version of ffmpeg in pyTivoX thinks the file has no video.)
Old 06-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #989
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

There is no such line. You'd simply have to disable ffmpeg entirely, by removing it, so that pyTivo couldn't find it. Only then does pyTivo fall back on using the extension.

pyTivo uses ffmpeg on all files, just to report on dimensions, length, etc. This is important even for plain old MPEG-2 files. Fallback mode is an inferior mode of operation, which is why it's a last resort. Transcoding is not the issue.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:07 AM   #990
chucky24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
pyTivo uses ffmpeg on all files, just to report on dimensions, length, etc. This is important even for plain old MPEG-2 files. Fallback mode is an inferior mode of operation, which is why it's a last resort. Transcoding is not the issue.
OK. I follow.

Anything I can do to deal with the file from ffmepg's perspective?

Does my reading of the log that ffmepg thinks the file has audio but not video seem correct?

Anything I can do to fix the file for ffmpeg, such as remuxing the file somehow, or something similar? (My MPEG knowledge is somewhat minimal.)

Any idea why simple editing in MPEG Streamclip would be causing such problems in the first place? I tried editing a second file, and got the exact same problem with pyTivoX. (I tried employing the "fix timecode" operation in MPEG Streamclip, but it didn't solve the issue.)

Should I be trying to drop in a more current version of ffmpeg? (I don't have the skills to compile, so I'd be hoping there is an already compiled binary out there.)

-----

In short, what would you do in my shoes in such a situation?

Perhaps I should try the latest MPEG Streamclip beta. I'm still on the last non-beta release (v1.9.2), since that's worked fine and dandy with pyTivoX in the past, and since nothing in the change log for the v1.9.3 betas seemed to apply to my situation, but given my minimal understanding of MPEG, perhaps some of those changes actually were important in some way.