TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #781
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverdevil View Post
I'd recommend just getting yourself some ethernet over power adapters. I use these with my TiVo HD's and they work *great*. I get all the benefits of wireless (no wires to run), and all the benefits of wired (reliable and speedy).

You can find them on eBay for pretty cheap if you look carefully.
Good call. My brother-in-law has a similar setup and is quite happy with it.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #782
nashmarkt

Any idea why photos do not show and show a broken image?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #783
dupreeblue
cable-challenged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
How long do you give it?
I experimented this past weekend. It disappeared at about 1pm, I let it go until the next day at about 2pm before I restarted things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Unless you work for TiVo, you don't have it.
It was worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
An odd channel for 802.11g/b is bad. Only 1, 6, and 11 are non-overlapping frequencies. You should try for the one that has the least contention among higher power signals.

I've found that configuring a closed network sometimes tickles driver bugs in the clients. I'd make sure you're using the highest encryption type the hardware is capable of, but leave your SSID broadcast turned on.

And are you using an official Tivo wireless adapter?
Hmm. Our network is on channel 4. I'll change that. How do I know what I should switch it to? I just picked 4 randomly. I'll also turn the SSID broadcast on. Yes, I am using the official Tivo wireless adapter.

Oddly enough, the share folder has been working perfectly for the past 4 days. Although that'll probably jinx it.
dupreeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #784
nashmarkt

Hi
I am trying to look at the pytivox.log and I ran the command
tail -20 /tmp/pyTivoX.log
but I get "no such file or directory"
Pytivo is runbning and I am streaming music and movies, so I am wondering where the log could be?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2009, 10:01 PM   #785
acitrano

Question Snow Leopard issues

Hi everyone,

[Snow Leopard on a Mac Pro; hard-wired ethernet; TIVO HD XL]

I installed the program (the latest version) today and it ran once. Upon installation, it worked fine. I was able to share a couple of folders, browse them just fine on the TiVo, copied a video file, etc.

I then noticed the shared images were "broken" - the TiVo could see the picture share, the names of the files and even knew how many there were. But it would not open nor show any of them. (Just the little broken-image icon)

Then I went back to the Mac Pro to see if I'd done something wrong, and pyTivoX would no longer come up at all. I restarted the computer, etc. but every time I launched pvTivoX it would seem to "start" but did not show on the dock nor the task switcher. I had to kill the process manually each time.

So I deleted the program entirely, and used the instructions earlier in the thread to go to terminal and run the commands to clear out all the preferences. Then I re-installed the program. I was then able to launch it OK and re-share folders.

But now I can no longer access the pyTivoX from the TiVo. I even restarted the TiVo.

[Also - The TiVo must store the list of shared items in a disk cache, because I can still see the old shares from the prior install of pyTivoX even after the TiVo restart (they no longer exist, but they're there in the "Showcases" list.)]

Now, when I click on the MacPro name on the TiVo "Showcases" list, I get this error:

"Cant Run"
An error occurred while running the application. HTTP failure
(Error reading header 0x50006).

And can't access any of the shares.

Ideas welcome - this is a promising product!!

Last edited by acitrano : 10-19-2009 at 05:10 AM.
acitrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #786
clacoste

PytivoX -No subscription

Hello,

I have a second tivo box that I have not got a subscription for. I was wondering if I could still hook it up to the tv and stream through PytivoX from my mac??? Anyone know? It's a series 2 Tivo.

Thanks
clacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #787
nashmarkt

Can someone tell me if I am posting in the wrong place here.
I asked a basic question about how to get the logs. NO response.
I asked a question about Photos not showing and I got no response.
I had searched the forum about both of these questions but I did not find anything.

Is there maybe a dedicated forum (or a more active forum) for PyTivo(x)?

Regards
Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #788
FrodoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clacoste View Post
Hello,

I have a second tivo box that I have not got a subscription for. I was wondering if I could still hook it up to the tv and stream through PytivoX from my mac??? Anyone know? It's a series 2 Tivo.

Thanks
You can't, unfortunately. Networking services are only enabled if you have a subscription.
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #789
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmarkt View Post
Show us your conf file. Maybe then we can make a guess.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #790
nashmarkt

I will find and post the conf file once I get home tonight.

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #791
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
I asked a basic question about how to get the logs.
I don't know that there IS a log, by default. I have two Macs, one running pyTiVoX 1.2 and another running pytivo (without the GUI) and I can find a log on neither. I don't see a log path as being among the settings but I do see "debug = True" in my settings, which would imply a log somewhere. But I've been unable to find one on either Mac.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #792
Rdian06

Quote:
I asked a basic question about how to get the logs. NO response.
I asked a question about Photos not showing and I got no response.
I had searched the forum about both of these questions but I did not find anything.

Is there maybe a dedicated forum (or a more active forum) for PyTivo(x)?

Regards
This thread is probably the best you'll get. Yoav created pyTiVoX and he knows the most about it. I don't run it myself so all I can do is answer questions about the pyTivo core embedded inside it. I know it does log somewhere because others have posted their log info for me to troubleshoot before. Maybe try firing up the Console app or looking in your Library/Application Support folder.

As for the broken Photo images, pyTivo relies on the Python Imaging Library (PIL) to deal with photos. PIL requires native libraries be installed to function correctly. According to the Googlecode page, pyTiVoX is supposed to have PIL native libraries in it, but given the other reports of this problem I think they don't work with Snow Leopard and you'll have to wait for Yoav to fix it.

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #793
nashmarkt

Thanks for all the info.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #794
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

I found my log file at ~/Library/Logs/pyTivoX/pytivo.log

('~' indicates one's home folder.)
Old 10-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #795
migod

I have a MacMini running Snow Leopard, plus a Series 2 Tivo.

PyTivo X was installed and running happily until I queued up a bunch of downloads from my Mac to the Tivo. I can still see my Mac from the Tivo, and it queues up new transfers, but it's stuck and won't download anything now (previously this worked fine).

In Unix parlance, it as if the printer daemon went down now the print jobs are just queuing up without ever becoming "active".

Any clues about what I can do?

I've already tried:
-- rebooting the tivo
-- rebooting the Mac
-- uninstalling pytivox (including the conf direction in ~/Library/Application Support) and the re-installing it
-- looking at the log files for pytivox and streambaby.

It looks like someone powercycles the tivo at some point recently, and it now has a different IP, cos I set it up to use DHCP. But pytivox can connect and I can browse my mac, so I'm thinking that's just a co-incidence.

One further problem: since I re-installed pytviox, I no longer get the main screen when I run it. It seems to work in that the tivo can see it, but I can't change any of the settings. "About pytviox" and ""check for updates" both seem to work.

Any hints appreciated.

-- Mike
migod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #796
migod

One further note. I wrote:

>> -- uninstalling pytivox (including the conf direction in ~/Library/Application Support) and the re-installing it

Actually I forgot that something there is broken too. When I tried running pytivox after a wipe of the conf directory, the pytivox log file complained that the conf file was missing and it refused to run. So I restored my old version and it "works" with the problems noted in the previous posting.

-- Mike
Old 10-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #797
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by migod View Post
I have a MacMini running Snow Leopard, plus a Series 2 Tivo.

PyTivo X was installed and running happily until I queued up a bunch of downloads from my Mac to the Tivo. I can still see my Mac from the Tivo, and it queues up new transfers, but it's stuck and won't download anything now (previously this worked fine).

In Unix parlance, it as if the printer daemon went down now the print jobs are just queuing up without ever becoming "active".

Any clues about what I can do?

I've already tried:
-- rebooting the tivo
-- rebooting the Mac
-- uninstalling pytivox (including the conf direction in ~/Library/Application Support) and the re-installing it
-- looking at the log files for pytivox and streambaby.

It looks like someone powercycles the tivo at some point recently, and it now has a different IP, cos I set it up to use DHCP. But pytivox can connect and I can browse my mac, so I'm thinking that's just a co-incidence.

One further problem: since I re-installed pytviox, I no longer get the main screen when I run it. It seems to work in that the tivo can see it, but I can't change any of the settings. "About pytviox" and ""check for updates" both seem to work.

Any hints appreciated.

-- Mike
Do you see any transfers queued in your To Do list? There are certain videos that will give ffmpeg problems and will end up stuck in your To Do list because the Tivo will continually retry them.

Take a look at your log file and see if you can spot any transfer errors. Or post the log contents here.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #798
migod

Yes indeed, they seem to queue up fine, as I mentioned. Here's what happens when I tried to transfer a previous video that I've transfered before.

Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:18:26 PM America/Toronto
INFO: pyTivo:192.168.2.105 [25/Oct/2009 20:18:29] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryFormats&SourceFormat=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg HTTP/1.1" 200 -
DEBUG: pyTivo.video.transcode:starting ffmpeg, will wait 10 seconds for it to complete
DEBUG: pyTivo.video.transcode:ffmpeg output=FFmpeg version SVN-r19732, Copyright (c) 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
configuration: --shlibdir=@executable_path --arch=i386 --cpu=i686 --disable-static --enable-shared --enable-pthreads --enable-gpl --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaac --enable-nonfree --enable-libfaad --enable-libx264 --extra-cflags='-I/Users/yoav/src/lame/include -I/Users/yoav/src/faad2-2.7/include -I/Users/yoav/src/faac-1.28/include -I/Users/yoav/src/x264' --extra-ldflags='-L/Users/yoav/src/lame/libmp3lame/.libs -L/Users/yoav/src/faad2-2.7/libfaad/.libs -L/Users/yoav/src/faac-1.28/libfaac/.libs -L/Users/yoav/src/x264/'
libavutil 50. 3. 0 / 50. 3. 0
libavcodec 52.34. 0 / 52.34. 0
libavformat 52.38. 0 / 52.38. 0
libavdevice 52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0
libswscale 0. 7. 1 / 0. 7. 1
built on Aug 27 2009 10:32:06, gcc: 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5484)

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 50.00 (50/1) -> 25.00 (25/1)
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '/Users/migod/Movies/homeMovie.mov':
Duration: 00:29:11.84, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 522 kb/s
Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264, yuv420p, 480x272 [PAR 136:135 DAR 16:9], 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 50 tbc
Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, s16
Metadata
muxer : Lavf52.7.0
muxer-eng : Lavf52.7.0
At least one output file must be specified

DEBUG: pyTivo.video.transcode:failed at aKbps
DEBUG: pyTivo.video.transcode:aFreq=48000; vFps=25.00; container=mov; kbps=522; mapAudio=[('0.1', '(eng)')]; vHeight=272; vCodec=h264; Supported=True; aKbps=None; par=None; millisecs=1751840; par2=1.00740740741; par1=136:135; mapVideo=0.0; vWidth=480; dar1=16:9; aCodec=aac
DEBUG: pyTivo.video.transcode:CACHE HIT! /Users/migod/Movies/homeMovie.mov
DEBUG: pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=YES, vCodec h264 not compatible, /Users/migod/Movies/homeMovie.mov
DEBUG: pyTivo.video.transcode:tsn: 6490001807B9322
DEBUG: pyTivo.video.transcode:aspect169: False
DEBUG: pyTivo.video.transcode: optres: False
DEBUG: pyTivo.video.transcode:File=/Users/migod/Movies/homeMovie.mov vCodec=h264 vWidth=480 vHeight=272 vFps=25.00 millisecs=1751840 TIVO_HEIGHT=480 TIVO_WIDTH=544
DEBUG: pyTivo.video.transcode:rheight=17 rwidth=30
DEBUG: pyTivo.video.transcode:File is within 16:9 list and 16:9 allowed.
DEBUG: pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=YES, vCodec h264 not compatible, /Users/migod/Movies/homeMovie.mov
INFO: pyTivo:192.168.2.105 [25/Oct/2009 20:18:29] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=Minime-Movies&SortOrder=Title&ItemCount=1&AnchorItem=%2FMinime-Movies%2FhomeMovie.mov&AnchorOffset=-1&Filter=x-tivo-container%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolder,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F* HTTP/1.1" 200 -
DEBUG: pyTivo.video.transcode:File=/Users/migod/Movies/homeMovie.mov vCodec=h264 vWidth=480 vHeight=272 vFps=25.00 millisecs=1751840 TIVO_HEIGHT=480 TIVO_WIDTH=544
INFO: pyTivo:192.168.2.105 [25/Oct/2009 20:18:29] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=TVBusQuery&Container=Minime-Movies&File=%2FhomeMovie.mov HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO: pyTivo:192.168.2.105 [25/Oct/2009 20:18:36] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryFormats&SourceFormat=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO: pyTivo:192.168.2.105 [25/Oct/2009 20:18:36] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=Minime-Movies&SortOrder=Title&ItemCount=1&AnchorItem=%2FMinime-Movies%2FhomeMovie.mov&AnchorOffset=-1&Filter=x-tivo-container%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolder,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F* HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO: pyTivo:192.168.2.105 [25/Oct/2009 20:18:36] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=TVBusQuery&Container=Minime-Movies&File=%2FhomeMovie.mov HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO: pyTivo:192.168.2.105 [25/Oct/2009 20:18:40] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryFormats&SourceFormat=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO: pyTivo:192.168.2.105 [25/Oct/2009 20:18:40] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=Minime-Movies&SortOrder=Title&ItemCount=8&AnchorItem=%2FMinime-Movies%2FhomeMovie.mov&AnchorOffset=-7&Filter=x-tivo-container%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolder,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F* HTTP/1.1" 200 -
Old 10-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #799
Rdian06

Quote:
Yes indeed, they seem to queue up fine, as I mentioned. Here's what happens when I tried to transfer a previous video that I've transfered before.
Your log indicates the Tivo is not initiating any transfers once you've requested them from the Now Playing list. Try going into your To Do list and clearing all transfers.

Then try just one video and see that you know has transferred before and see what happens.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #800
migod

I've already tried clearing all of the pending transfers from the tivo side. The video I was trying above had already worked before. Not sure what to try next ...

-- Mike
Old 10-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #801
migod

Also, any idea how I can get the pytivox main screen to re-appear?

As I said before, since I re-installed pytviox, I no longer get the main screen when I run it. It seems to work in that the tivo can see it, but I can't change any of the settings. "About pytviox" and ""check for updates" both seem to work.

-- Mike
Old 10-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #802
pkscout

Quote:
Also, any idea how I can get the pytivox main screen to re-appear?

As I said before, since I re-installed pytviox, I no longer get the main screen when I run it. It seems to work in that the tivo can see it, but I can't change any of the settings. "About pytviox" and ""check for updates" both seem to work.
For some reason the pyTivoX window will never force itself to the front. So you should minimize every other window open (including any finder windows). If you still don't see the settings window, try selecting the settings thing in the menu again. It should pop up with no problem.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #803
migod

No pytivox main screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout View Post
For some reason the pyTivoX window will never force itself to the front. So you should minimize every other window open (including any finder windows). If you still don't see the settings window, try selecting the settings thing in the menu again. It should pop up with no problem.
I minimized everything else and it just plain wasn't there.

"About pytivox" and "check for updates" work fine from the toolbar menu.

What do you mean by "seletecting the settings thing in the menu". There's no toolbar menu entry for settings.

Confused,

-- Mike
Old 10-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #804
Ladd Morse

Quote:
If anyone know, please tell! I also tried to show photos last night and all I got was the broken icon ...
Old 10-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #805
migod

OK I think I know what you mean. There's a little menubar icon at the top right that I hadn't noticed before. That does indeed allow me to bring up the main screen for pytvox, so that problem is now solved!

As to my other problem, I managed to fix it by clearing the pending transfers, then rebooting the tivo *while the queue is empty*. The previous time when I rebooted the tivo, I had items in the queue (tho I had emptied it and added things to it before that).

So all is well now. Thanks to everyone for their help.

-- Mike
Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #806
fredtwd

RE: Broken Images....

Any idea when Yoav will fix this issue? I see others are starting to post the broken image issue too.

Thanks for all your hard work (esp Yoav ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
pyTivo uses the Python Imaging Library (a natively compiled addon for Python) to do photo manipulation. pyTivoX is supposed to include the PIL libraries, but they were probably compiled for 10.5. You'll have to wait for Yoav to fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtwd View Post
Trying to use pyTivoX (Mac OS X 10.6.1) for the first time and all I get is a standard broken image for all the photos. The following message is displayed in the logfile (pytivo.log)

Code:
ERROR:pyTivo:Resize failed on /Users/robert/Documents/Misc/Favs/053.jpg -- The _imaging C module is not installed
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.148 [04/Oct/2009 21:04:25] code 404, message Not Found
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.148 [04/Oct/2009 21:04:25] "GET /Favs/053.jpg?Width=88&Height=60&PixelShape=40%3A33&Format=image%2Fjpeg HTTP/1.0" 404 -
I assume this is related to:

http://code.google.com/p/pytivox/issues/detail?id=26#c0
Sep 26, 2009
issue 26 (Broken image icons displayed instead of pics (and no images)...) reported by techworkspro

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Robert

Last edited by fredtwd : 10-26-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Added additional quote
fredtwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #807
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

PyTiVoX and TiVo Desktop

Is there any conflict with running TiVo Desktop and pyTiVoX on the same Mac?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #808
sittininlab

First, I love pyTivo, does what Tivo desktop should've done all along.
I'll add my name to the chorus of those who can't get images to show up. I'm also using OSX10.6.1, and pyTivo 1.3.
But, I wouldn't care if it ever gets fixed, because I'm totally digging on the other features of the program.
sittininlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #809
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
Is there any conflict with running TiVo Desktop and pyTiVoX on the same Mac?
No, but you may end up with duplicate services (i.e. two listings for music and/or photos). I run both, although I use pyTiVo only for video and TiVo Desktop for music and photos, so no duplicate entries.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #810
designbot
Internet Cliché

Streambaby disappears every time the Mac goes to sleep

I am constantly having to quit & restart PyTivoX, because my computer only shows up under "Music, Photos, Showcases" right after I start PyTivoX. If the computer goes to sleep, it won't show up again unless I quit & restart the application.

It does generally show up in Now Playing, so this is a streambaby-related issue.

Someone else has posted this bug as Issue 27 here: http://code.google.com/p/pytivox/issues/detail?id=27

Is anybody else having this problem? Is anybody not having this problem?
designbot is offline   Reply With Quote