TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #661
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Cool, thanks! It's a very useful option for those of us that mainly use pyTivo/streambaby for accessing our own digital video libraries.

Sorry I left out "force_alpha=true" (thanks William) - guess that is somewhat critical info.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #662
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Anyone tried it out on snow leopard?
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #663
jannlinder

Snow Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig_duggler View Post
Anyone tried it out on snow leopard?
Yup.

Newest beta fixes a SMALL issue where the icon did not show up on titlebar when it was running.

Otherwise -- beautiful!

Can anyone now say "PLEASE help the ffmpeg devs compile it for OpenCL and 64-bit!"??

J
jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #664
jannlinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Sadly, no. There used to be a python program that sort-of tried to do metadata generation, but I've had almost no luck with it.
I have a command-line script for perl (currently rewriting in RealBasic to be cross-platform -- and GUI). It works flawlessly for me. If you are interested in being a beta tester, please PM me here.

thx

J

Last edited by jannlinder : 08-27-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: add GUI to reasoning
Old 08-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #665
jannlinder

64-bit ffmpeg for pyTivoX?

Does anyone know if we can simply recompile 64-bit ffmpeg and drop it into the pyTivoX package (for Snow Leopard)?

TIA

J
Old 08-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #666
Rdian06

Quote:
Sadly, no. There used to be a python program that sort-of tried to do metadata generation, but I've had almost no luck with it.
Yoav, which python program are you talking about? Not gmd's pyTivoMetaThis (latest version is here http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/post6356.html#6356) I hope? I use it all the time and it's nearly flawless. I have to log into thetvdb.com from time to time and fix seriesIds, but otherwise it works.

The enhanced XML parser dependencies on the Mac can be painful to install, but you don't need them unless you're worried about speed and full foreign character support.

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #667
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannlinder View Post
Does anyone know if we can simply recompile 64-bit ffmpeg and drop it into the pyTivoX package (for Snow Leopard)?

TIA

J
streambaby will not work right if you do that, but the pytivo side *should* (although I can't try it to verify). pytivox *should* be loading up the 32-bit java and running correctly, if it's not, can you tell me what you're seeing?

fwiw, I can build everything to use ppc, i386, and x86_64, but that will make the new distribution 25 megs or so, and I'd rather avoid doing that if I can get away with it..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #668
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
Yoav, which python program are you talking about? Not gmd's pyTivoMetaThis (latest version is here http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/post6356.html#6356) I hope? I use it all the time and it's nearly flawless. I have to log into thetvdb.com from time to time and fix seriesIds, but otherwise it works.

The enhanced XML parser dependencies on the Mac can be painful to install, but you don't need them unless you're worried about speed and full foreign character support.
yes, and I only really tried it for a little bit and decided it was more work than just manually making the metadata (for me). But if it's working well then I apologize for the put-down, and yay glad to know there is something. I see jannlinder also has a perl script that can help...

Old 08-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #669
jannlinder

Quote:
streambaby will not work right if you do that, but the pytivo side *should* (although I can't try it to verify). pytivox *should* be loading up the 32-bit java and running correctly, if it's not, can you tell me what you're seeing?
It is working so far. I was interested in running my system in pure 64 bit if possible. I know it may seem silly, however, I want to use it to it's fullest. I know Java 64 bit is out for now... There is a 64-bit java that is the hotspot server:
Code:
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.1-b02-90, mixed mode)
but the client is still 32bit:
Code:
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03-219)

Quote:
fwiw, I can build everything to use ppc, i386, and x86_64, but that will make the new distribution 25 megs or so, and I'd rather avoid doing that if I can get away with it..
Well, since it is in the google code repository and would only be downloaded by people who want it, can you do that and post it for those of us who would love that?

TIA

Jann
Old 08-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #670
jannlinder

Quote:
I see jannlinder also has a perl script that can help...
I also have almost completed my cross-platform GUI that will do the same. Give me a week or so and I will release a beta that will automatically classify all your files. (within parameters of course). The plus of the GUI is that it is cross-platform and I have to get use out of this darn RealBasic Studio license I paid $$$ for.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #671
Rdian06

Quote:
yes, and I only really tried it for a little bit and decided it was more work than just manually making the metadata (for me). But if it's working well then I apologize for the put-down, and yay glad to know there is something. I see jannlinder also has a perl script that can help...
Do you recall what problems you had with pyTivoMetaThis? It sat unloved for a long time, but got picked back up by a few of us and it's pretty workable right now (if you happen to have your files/movies named with some structure.)

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:57 AM   #672
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
Do you recall what problems you had with pyTivoMetaThis? It sat unloved for a long time, but got picked back up by a few of us and it's pretty workable right now (if you happen to have your files/movies named with some structure.)
Honestly it was like a year ago, and I barely remember what went wrong. It seemed to scan correctly but then generated metadata files with incorrect info.

It sounds like you guys probably have it working right again .

Old 08-28-2009, 01:07 AM   #673
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannlinder View Post
It is working so far. I was interested in running my system in pure 64 bit if possible. I know it may seem silly, however, I want to use it to it's fullest. I know Java 64 bit is out for now... There is a 64-bit java that is the hotspot server:
Code:
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.1-b02-90, mixed mode)
but the client is still 32bit:
Code:
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03-219)

Well, since it is in the google code repository and would only be downloaded by people who want it, can you do that and post it for those of us who would love that?

TIA

Jann
pyTivoX is a 'universal' program, which means right now every binary has binary code for powerPC and i386 processors. To add x86_64 code to it is certainly doable, but it would be done for all future builds. It's not like I would make a seperate 64-bit build and give that only to people who want it.

To complicate matters, since streambaby (as java bytecode) loads up the shared libs (also would be a 3-processor file) it needs to load up the correct one. So if you run a 64-bit java, it will expect 64-bit shared libs from ffmpeg, and same is true for 32-bit.

I'm not really averse to doing it if there was a demand for it... I'll go build one now and put it up as the beta, see if someone with a 64-bit machine can tell me how well it's working, and see how big the file ends up.

edit: Ok it's not that simple. Turns out there are no 64-bit libraries of MacOSX 10.4. Which means in order to support 64-bit I'd have to drop support for OS X 10.4u... I think that's not really a wise choice. I don't *think* I can require 10.5 for one architecture and 10.4 for the rest...

Last edited by Yoav : 08-28-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:28 AM   #674
jannlinder

Quote:
To complicate matters, since streambaby (as java bytecode) loads up the shared libs (also would be a 3-processor file) it needs to load up the correct one. So if you run a 64-bit java, it will expect 64-bit shared libs from ffmpeg, and same is true for 32-bit..
Well, to be frank, since 10.6 does NOT ship with 64-bit Java, there that goes.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:24 AM   #675
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Exclamation Transfer Dates w/ 1.3

I updated my pyTivo to 1.3 today and ever since then any files transferred to TiVo have had today's date instead of the recording's mod date or the metadata date datum.

I reverted to 1.2 and the dates are proper again when transferring files to TiVo.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #676
ShoutingMan

Is there any way to have pyTivoX use iTunes playlists?

It seems to only read specific music folders. This means I can only play specific albums or I have to manually export and compile playlists to save outside of iTunes for pyTivoX. I'd love to get back the TivoDesktop feature to play iTunes playlists.
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #677
richsadams

Snow Leopard Success

Just here to confirm that pyTiVoX (v1.3) works fine with Apple's latest OS, Mac OS X v10.6. Others (including Shouting Man) are reporting that TiVo Desktop no longer works under 10.6 (at least at this time).
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #678
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Is there any way to have pyTivoX use iTunes playlists?

It seems to only read specific music folders. This means I can only play specific albums or I have to manually export and compile playlists to save outside of iTunes for pyTivoX. I'd love to get back the TivoDesktop feature to play iTunes playlists.
Sadly for now, no. Someone would need to write a plug-in for pytivo to be able to parse playlists and play them instead of every file... Nobody has yet (you may want to ask again on the pytivo forum, since pytivox is just a mac front-end)

Old 08-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #679
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Just here to confirm that pyTiVoX (v1.3) works fine with Apple's latest OS, Mac OS X v10.6.
Rich, have you noted the problem I reported with 1.3 -- that recordings transferred to TiVo show the transferred date rather than the recording's modified date?

That 1.3 works with 10.6 I have no doubt. But "fine" is another matter.

Please do try transferring an older recording to TiVo and let me know whether the date is correct (it should show the recording date, not the transferred date).

FWIW, I archive recordings plus the text metadata files off-line (on my Mac) and transfer them back when needed. With 1.2 and earlier, the date that TiVo sees is the recording's modified date on the Mac. With 1.3, it shows the transfer-to-Mac date.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #680
Yoav

Quote:
FWIW, I archive recordings plus the text metadata files off-line (on my Mac) and transfer them back when needed. With 1.2 and earlier, the date that TiVo sees is the recording's modified date on the Mac. With 1.3, it shows the transfer-to-Mac date.
I seriously doubt this is caused by 10.6 vs 10.5

My guess is that some internal behavior with pytivo changed between the two builds (each build I make I pull down the latest pytivo code from wmcbrine's branch).

Old 08-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #681
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
Please do try transferring an older recording to TiVo and let me know whether the date is correct (it should show the recording date, not the transferred date).
I only worked with existing recordings. As soon as I have time I'll give that a try.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #682
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I'm not sure what Marconi is talking about. The transfer date has always been used, except for .TiVo files, where the recorded date has always been used (since the file overrides what pyTivo specifies).

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:12 AM   #683
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
I seriously doubt this is caused by 10.6 vs 10.5
I'm sure it's not since I'm still on 10.5.8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav

My guess is that some internal behavior with pytivo changed between the two builds (each build I make I pull down the latest pytivo code from wmcbrine's branch).
AH! I hadn't realize that pyTivo was someone else's. So, just the GUI interface for OS X is your handiwork? I guess I should be barking up Mr. McBine's tree.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:19 AM   #684
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I'm not sure what Marconi is talking about. The transfer date has always been used, except for .TiVo files, where the recorded date has always been used (since the file overrides what pyTivo specifies).
All of my files are simply 'decrypt' so they must qualify as 'TiVo' files. In any case, the recordings of various series are in my archives with the recordings having the episodes' original air dates as the files' modification dates. Thus, when I transfer them back to a TiVo to watch, they appear in the correct episodic order. That's the way it was with 1.2.

With 1.3, the episodes have the transferred date instead of the file's mod date as it is on the archive drive. All of my work, changing the recordings' mod dates to match the original air date are thus wasted.

I reverted to 1.2 to get the old behavior back.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:44 AM   #685
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
All of my files are simply 'decrypt' so they must qualify as 'TiVo' files.
Uh, no, actually. "Decrypt" turns them from .TiVo files (note the dot -- these files literally have ".TiVo" as the extension) to plain MPEG program streams, stripping the attached metadata. Only a transfer with no decryption would be a .TiVo file.

I don't believe there has been any change in this behavior in pyTivo. I think it's more likely that you're mixing .TiVo and .mpg files, without noticing.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #686
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Uh, no, actually. "Decrypt" turns them from .TiVo files (note the dot -- these files literally have ".TiVo" as the extension) to plain MPEG program streams, stripping the attached metadata. Only a transfer with no decryption would be a .TiVo file.
OK then, your description of the behavior belonging only to .tivo files is then incorrect as I've been getting this behavior with decrypted files all along. I've built an entire workflow around it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine
I don't believe there has been any change in this behavior in pyTivo.
There has been. I tried it again. Ran 1.3 and got the transferred date. Ran 1.2 and got the file's mod date. Did this with two recordings and on a second Mac just to be sure the problem wasn't confined to my normal workstation. Trust me, this behavior has changed between pyTiVoX 1.2 and 1.3. I have no idea whether it was something in your code or Goav's, but the behavior is different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine
I think it's more likely that you're mixing .TiVo and .mpg files, without noticing.
I don't use .tivo files at all. I use only decrypt via iTiVo.

It's easy enough to see; just try it yourself. Run 1.2 and transfer an older decrypt file, then do the same file with 1.3.

I'd be happy to provide an older decrypted file for you. Alternately, you can decrypt one yourself and set its create/mod dates to whatever you like via this droplet script:
Code:
on open dropped_items
	set newdate to "199001051200"
	repeat with file_ in dropped_items
		set file_ to POSIX path of file_
		do shell script "touch -t " & newdate & " " & quoted form of file_
	end repeat
end open
The above sets the mod date to Jan 5, 1990. Just save it as a script using Apple's script editor. When you have a decrypt recording, just drag-and-drop it onto the saved script to give it an old modification date.

The behavior has changed. Really. Just try it.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #687
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I don't use pyTivoX. As I understand it, it only runs on OS X 10.5+. Someone else will have to confirm what you're seeing.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #688
ShoutingMan

Quote:
I don't use pyTivoX. As I understand it, it only runs on OS X 10.5+. Someone else will have to confirm what you're seeing.
I'm running it on 10.6 for music playback. (Looking for replacement solution for Tivo Desktop, as it doesn't work in 10.6. And I assume it will never work since it was never updated for the Intel transition and must be 3 years out of date now.)
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #689
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Ummm, might you be able to compare the current pyTiVo with the previous? Is there a way to tell which code pyTiVoX 1.2 and 1.3 incorporate and compare the behavior of those two?

Related question: Is there anything Yoav could have done to change this? After all, it's just a GUI, yes?

Maybe I need to install the non-GUI version of the current pyTiVo and test that... I've got some research to do.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #690
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
...since it was never updated for the Intel transition and must be 3 years out of date now.)
That's not what I've seen with regard to the "Intel transition". When I've looked in the Activity Monitor screen under Leopard, it doesn't show that it's running as a PowerPC application/process. If I understand what Dennis has written earlier, they're pointing to some Java classes that have been deprecated in Java 6 JVM as he said in a different thread "(the Java/Cocoa bridge classes are gone, since Apple has moved to the Java 6 SE JVM)." and he also wrote "Fortunately, it doesn't look as if they're using those classes for too much, so it shouldn't be too difficult to fix. "

- Bob

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote