TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #631
Yoav

Ok I believe the 'connection reset' error is just what happens when you stop watching the movie on the tivo -- so that's not a problem.

However, this:
Code:
Thu 2009/07/02 21:27:48.088|   |Acceptor|Listener|10.0.1.6 I/O Exception handling  HTTP GET e4275561-b21e-4b98-94cf-eb7b6b6f915b.stream: Broken pipe
may be a problem. I can't tell what end the pipe broke on (i.e. if it's just because you quit watching, or because ffmpeg died, or what?). I don't think I've seen that particular error line, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the bug you're seeing.

Open up a Terminal.app and run
Code:
ps auxwwwww | grep -i stream
After starting up pyTivoX. You should see a very long invocation of java with a lot of arguments. Tickle the bug again, and see if the java process is still running after you can no longer see volumes. It may also be worth repeating the log on the streambaby forum (that log is straight from streambaby, and the bug you're seeing is most likely an issue with streambaby and your tivo, and not something pyTivoX did -- and there are many more users following that thread).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #632
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hello, new to this thread. Forgive me for not reading every post, I just wanted to share my experience and enthusiasm.

Previously I'd use TiVo Desktop (with the Video tab enabled,) which required me to run VisualHub ahead of time to convert to TiVo-compatible MPEG-2 files. It worked fine but was time consuming, and took up quite a bit of disk space on my Mac. The resulting MPEG-2 files also wouldn't play in QT Player (even though I have Apple's MPEG-2 plug-in.) I'd get a "this is not a movie file" error. They would, however, play in VLC. And the only reason I had to keep them around, really, was for transferring to the TiVo. It was a clunky workflow to say the least.

Well, as a Toast 10 owner, today I just tested sending an .AVI file to the TiVo using Mac2TiVo (so no pre-conversion required) but the resulting video didn't fill my TV's 42" screen. It was in a smaller rectangle, in the center. Sort of a bummer.

I then did the same test with the same file, using PyTiVoX, and it worked fine. Transferred over, no pre-conversion required, and it filled the TV screen. Also seemed to transfer faster, too. Wonderful!

So even though I have Toast 10 installed, I'm going to be using PyTiVoX for all my Mac -> TiVo needs.

Oh, and StreamBaby (beta) streams fine to my Series 3 as well... starts playing quickly, no need to even transfer the file.

I just wanted to give BIG THANKS to Yoav for sharing his hard work on this. Between this and iTiVo, he's created a fantastic suite of tools for the Mac/TiVo community that work incredibly well. The software better than anything else out there, even stuff pushed out by a big software developer like Roxio.

I'm really very appreciative.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #633
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I'm really very appreciative.
You're welcome, but I really can't take the credit. The hard work was done by the pytivo people (armooo and wmcbrine especially) and the streambaby folks (kearygriffin and moyekj). I just put a pretty front-end/installer on it.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #634
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
I just put a pretty front-end/installer on it.
Fair enough, but that's the crucial and critical step. Without that, I doubt I (and many others of us here) be using the underlying tools at all.

Thanks to everyone that made these tools possible.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #635
jdubs

Thanks for all the help. One more question. When I open pytivox I am not seeing the screen where I can enter directories. i am still able to transfer shows, but i am unable to choose the directories pytivox looks at.

Thanks,
Jeremy
jdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #636
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Check your MenuBar for a small TiVo icon. Therein resides a menu to show/hide the config window.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #637
Test

This is a great application, it is one less thing I need to rely on my PC for. Thanks.

Does anyone know a good meta generator for mac?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #638
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
Does anyone know a good meta generator for mac?
Sadly, no. There used to be a python program that sort-of tried to do metadata generation, but I've had almost no luck with it.

If you're pulling the show off the tivo with iTiVo or kmttg, they can generate the appropriate metadata for you. This is probably your best bet, but only works for new things you're pulling off the tivo.

If you're using mp4 files in streambaby, then MetaX (http://www.kerstetter.net/page53/page54/page54.html ) can somewhat automate the process and insert appropriate metadata tags.

It's my hope that the metaX author will add the ability to write out .txt files for pytivo, but so far he's been disinterested (and since he doesn't make the code available, I can't send him a patch).

Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 AM   #639
dejardin

Arrow Streambaby OK, pytivo not so much

Help, please! I've been enjoying the streambaby side of PyTivoX for a while now on my S3, but after initial success with pytivo, I can't access my recordings via the Now Playing List on either my S2 or S3 Tivos. The folder shares are there, and often display the show names inside, but if I select one and start transfer, it just stops on a blank Tivo screen or freezes completely requiring reboot. If I can go back to the folder in NPL, it will usually then say there are no recordings in the shared folder. I've created a brand new PyTivoX folder share (type=video) on the Mac with files, had it show up in NPL, and seen the same behavior. Tivo and Mac reboots and PyTivoX restarts are no help. I've attached the tail end of my pytivo.log for any clues. No luck searching the thread for similar problems. And no, I can't explain why when I first got PyTivoX working, the pytivo side was just fine. Thanks again for your help,

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: txt pytivo.txt (2.1 KB, 5 views)
dejardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:17 AM   #640
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejardin View Post
Help, please! I've been enjoying the streambaby side of PyTivoX for a while now on my S3, but after initial success with pytivo, I can't access my recordings via the Now Playing List on either my S2 or S3 Tivos. The folder shares are there, and often display the show names inside, but if I select one and start transfer, it just stops on a blank Tivo screen or freezes completely requiring reboot. If I can go back to the folder in NPL, it will usually then say there are no recordings in the shared folder. I've created a brand new PyTivoX folder share (type=video) on the Mac with files, had it show up in NPL, and seen the same behavior. Tivo and Mac reboots and PyTivoX restarts are no help. I've attached the tail end of my pytivo.log for any clues. No luck searching the thread for similar problems. And no, I can't explain why when I first got PyTivoX working, the pytivo side was just fine. Thanks again for your help,

Mike
The error in the log (time not being defined) sounds like a very old error that was fixed a while back. Can you make sure you've updated to the latest pyTivoX (or even better, try the beta from the downloads tab)?

Old 07-09-2009, 03:04 AM   #641
rascal

pyTivo

Hello,

I may not be in the correct forum area. I am not a programmer. I have been having a difficult time transferring files from Tivo Desktop back to Tivo. I've tried downloading several programs, but I don't believe I'm doing it correctly.

Do you have any idea what the best program is to transfer .tivo files back to Tivo? I am currently using Vista on Windows.

Any help would be appreciated.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #642
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
Hello,

I may not be in the correct forum area. I am not a programmer. I have been having a difficult time transferring files from Tivo Desktop back to Tivo. I've tried downloading several programs, but I don't believe I'm doing it correctly.

Do you have any idea what the best program is to transfer .tivo files back to Tivo? I am currently using Vista on Windows.

Any help would be appreciated.
Try posting in a new thread with details about what you have tried already...

This thread is about pyTivoX for the Mac so your questions is VERY off topic.

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #643
airbeat

Big Grin Not showing up in Now Playing? check the firewall...

First of all, thank you for an excellent piece of software, compiling all of the necessary bits and pieces from different sources! I hope you can tell that we all appreciate it very much!

Second, I was driving myself nuts this afternoon trying to get this software working properly on my setup--and was reading through all 20 pages to find someone with my issue, which was that I could get the shares to show up on the Now Playing list only for about 1 minute, but with no content in them, and then they would vanish. The reason? The built in OS X firewall was blocking the connection.

May I suggest something in the software that checks that, or prompts the user to check it, or in the instructions for idiots like myself who couldn't figure it out?

Again, thanks everyone--if you're having similar issues, CHECK THE FIREWALL!

Using
with an HDTivo plugged only into Antenna viewed on a 1080p plasma. Bliss.
airbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #644
dejardin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
The error in the log (time not being defined) sounds like a very old error that was fixed a while back. Can you make sure you've updated to the latest pyTivoX (or even better, try the beta from the downloads tab)?
I checked for any updates before I posted, so I know I'm on the most recent version (1.2.1), but I'll try the beta and see if it works. Thanks!

Mike
Old 07-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #645
dejardin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejardin View Post
I checked for any updates before I posted, so I know I'm on the most recent version (1.2.1), but I'll try the beta and see if it works. Thanks!

Mike
Looks like the beta is working. Guess I'll have to rethink my irrational fear of beta software. Thanks for the tip.

Mike
Old 07-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #646
airbeat

Currently using the beta and it's working beautifully! I just did an erase and install on my computer, and wiped out all of my hard work installing the python server, ffmpeg, and all the other tools, and now I find this amazing thing from Yoav. Can't thank you enough! (OK, off to find something productive to do!)

Using
Old 07-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #647
rrg

Streaming TS files

If this is covered elsewhere in the thread, I apologize ("Search this Thread" failed to find it):

I have a large collection of captures, some saved as MPG files (program streams) but most of them saved as MPEG-2 transport streams (TS files), both SD and HD.

Pytivo has no problem serving the TS files to TiVo, which is great (TiVo Desktop can't, which has always been a problem). But Streambaby (which I'd much prefer to use in my situation), though it has no problem with the MPG files, doesn't see/can't handle the TS files.

My configuration is unchanged from the default. I'm running 1.3b6, which seems to be the latest.

Is there anything I can do to enable Streambaby to recognize and serve TS files to my Series 3 TiVos?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #648
airbeat

From what I understand, StreamBaby does not support TS files. If Streambaby is your best solution, you may be looking at lots of video transcoding in order to get your files into a supported filetype.

Using
Old 07-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #649
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg View Post
If this is covered elsewhere in the thread, I apologize ("Search this Thread" failed to find it):

I have a large collection of captures, some saved as MPG files (program streams) but most of them saved as MPEG-2 transport streams (TS files), both SD and HD.

Pytivo has no problem serving the TS files to TiVo, which is great (TiVo Desktop can't, which has always been a problem). But Streambaby (which I'd much prefer to use in my situation), though it has no problem with the MPG files, doesn't see/can't handle the TS files.

My configuration is unchanged from the default. I'm running 1.3b6, which seems to be the latest.

Is there anything I can do to enable Streambaby to recognize and serve TS files to my Series 3 TiVos?
I *suspect* streambaby can handle TS files as it's just another container that ffmpeg knows how to read. However, streambaby doesn't know about files with the '.ts' extension.

Try renaming it to a .mpg file first and see if that works. If it does, then you get to decide if:

1) you feel like renaming all your .ts files
2) you feel like making a manual config file change to add .ts as an accepted filename extension
3) you feel like telling keary to just add .ts to the list of filename extension (but make sure it works first please).

Old 07-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #650
rrg

A quick renaming test confirms your suspicion: StreamBaby is able to see, and stream, a TS file if I simply change the file name extension to MPG.

Renaming TS files to MPG is not an option (far too much work, besides which it would be a lie and would lose information) so I'll opt, for now, to fix my configuration to accept TS files as a valid streaming type. (Where, incidentally, is that configuration file?)

You would agree, I think, that this should just be supported natively by StreamBaby, if ffmpeg has no problem with it (and as long as no re-encoding is involved, just extraction and streaming of the MPEG2 data within the container).

Thanks.

Last edited by rrg : 07-13-2009 at 11:10 AM.
rrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #651
Yoav

Ok, what you want to do is open up the config file in <user>/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/streambaby.ini

In there, you need to add the line (anywhere in the file) :
Code:
extensions=mp4,mpeg,vob,mpg,mpeg2,mp2,avi,wmv,asf,mkv,tivo,m4v,raw,3gp,mov,flv,ts
Save the file, quit pyTivoX, and start pyTivoX..... DO NOT HIT APPLY!!!

That should get you where you want to be. After trying out multiple .ts files, if everything is working out smoothly, please tell us and I'll add that extension as a default so everyone will have it working...

Thank you

Old 07-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #652
rrg

Thanks very much. I've tested a number of MPEG2 TS files and it seems to work just fine.

It takes several seconds before the video starts playing, and when it starts it's a few seconds into the video (my S3 is in "native" mode), but that may be usual with TiVo streaming (is it?).

One other thing I should mention: I have some H.264 HD captures also stored as TS files (same container format), and though StreamBaby streams these to the TiVo, the playback results aren't as good: the video is halting and jerky and usually pauses or freezes after a few seconds.

The PS3 has no problem playing these (when streamed from the same Mac using PS3 Media Server), so it's probably not a question of raw horsepower--at least not on the Mac side--but I'm not sure what the source of that (separate) problem is.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #653
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg View Post
Thanks very much. I've tested a number of MPEG2 TS files and it seems to work just fine.

It takes several seconds before the video starts playing, and when it starts it's a few seconds into the video (my S3 is in "native" mode), but that may be usual with TiVo streaming (is it?).

One other thing I should mention: I have some H.264 HD captures also stored as TS files (same container format), and though StreamBaby streams these to the TiVo, the playback results aren't as good: the video is halting and jerky and usually pauses or freezes after a few seconds.

The PS3 has no problem playing these (when streamed from the same Mac using PS3 Media Server), so it's probably not a question of raw horsepower--at least not on the Mac side--but I'm not sure what the source of that (separate) problem is.
Ahh, that makes things more complicated . I'm hoping keary reads this and has a proper answer. I'm guessing that h.264/ac-3 in ts container is being passed through without re-encoding, and so you may have an h.264 file that is not compatible with the limitations of the tivo h.264 decoder...

but I'm really guessing here....

Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #654
moyekj

Note that anything in a transport stream streambaby is going to transcode to mpeg2 program stream using ffmpeg (no matter what file extension you give it). Even mpeg2 transport stream which could just be re-muxed to mpeg2 program stream without changing audio/video will transcode with streambaby as it is right now. You can see for yourself if you run "top" while streaming the video from streambaby - you should see an active ffmpeg process running.

Most likely the H.264 transport stream stop/start is either because of lack of horsepower for real time transcoding to mpeg2 program stream or there is an issue with ffmpeg producing a proper mpeg2 from that source. When you stream to PS3 it is just accepting/decoding the stream normally without any need for transcoding, so that's not a relevant/fair comparison.

mpeg2 transport stream unfortunately is not a supported container by TiVo (at least not via HME/HMO) so anything in that format that goes to TiVo has to be at minimum converted to mpeg2 program stream or some other TiVo compatible container + video + audio stream.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #655
rrg

I was told (evidently it was misinformation) that this was not the case, i.e. that the TiVo could now handle native H.264 streams and that transcoding to MPEG2 was no longer necessary. And I thought that streambaby was sending H.264 to the TiVo when the source was H.264.

If that's not true, and if it's transcoding even MPEG2 to MPEG2 (when the source is a transport stream) then this makes the TiVo less attractive for this use case than I thought it was.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #656
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The TiVo (Series 3/HD only) handles H.264 natively, but only in an MP4 (MOV) container, not in a transport stream. (And then, only via HME streaming, or the "Push" system.) Actually this is the first I've heard of H.264 in a transport stream.

pyTivo (as of the last few months) will just remux MPEG-2 transport streams to program streams, so it doesn't take much CPU, and there's no quality loss. But H.264 in a transport stream would have to be reencoded... in principle, we could just remux it (when doing a Push), but in practice ffmpeg doesn't seem quite up to that job yet.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:57 AM   #657
moyekj

Read video_compatibility wiki for a summary of compatible formats. Note that Container & video & audio are all important and has to be one of the combinations listed in that table to stream or push natively. As wmcbrine mentioned, H.264 with AC3 or AAC audio is supported natively, but only in a mpeg4 container, not mpeg2 transport stream container as is yours.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:11 AM   #658
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Yoav, I was just trying the latest pyTivoX and noticed that you've got a checkbox for sorting according to filename in the streambaby prefs, but not for pyTivo. Have you considered adding an identical checkbox to the pyTivo prefs? pyTivo does support this option (at least in the wmcbrine fork anyway).
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #659
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
Yoav, I was just trying the latest pyTivoX and noticed that you've got a checkbox for sorting according to filename in the streambaby prefs, but not for pyTivo. Have you considered adding an identical checkbox to the pyTivo prefs? pyTivo does support this option (at least in the wmcbrine fork anyway).
Glad to, but ermm.. what's the actual pytivo.conf option to do that?

Old 07-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #660
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It's a per-share option, "force_alpha".

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote