TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #571
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by solutionsetc View Post
Yep, the beta build fixes this.
Ok so 1.2.1 is out now with the fixes..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #572
solutionsetc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Ok so 1.2.1 is out now with the fixes..
Great, thanks! Now if this could only parse iTunes Play Lists I could ditch TiVo Desktop altogether.
solutionsetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #573
solutionsetc

One more question now that I have this working...

All shows transferred by this push method are showing up on the destination TiVo as not being transferrable to other TiVo's as if CCI byte is being set. The same shows transferred normally from PyTiVox or TiVo desktop do not exhibit this behavior.

Is this a side effect of using push in general or is something possibly going awry with what PyTiVo is doing?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #574
Yoav

Quote:
One more question now that I have this working...

All shows transferred by this push method are showing up on the destination TiVo as not being transferrable to other TiVo's as if CCI byte is being set. The same shows transferred normally from PyTiVox or TiVo desktop do not exhibit this behavior.

Is this a side effect of using push in general or is something possibly going awry with what PyTiVo is doing?
This is a known issue of using push.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #575
solutionsetc

Quote:
This is a known issue of using push.
Thanks Yoav... I was afraid that was the case.

It's funny... its been a while since I have looked at TiVo (I went with ReplayTV initially back in the SD days). TiVo has come a long way in the feature set department since then, and overall I am much happier to be rid of the Comcast DVRs, but it all just feels so hobbled.

Thanks again to you and McBrine for making the world feel a little less hobbled on TiVo's behalf.

-ss
Old 05-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #576
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Maybe I'm a bad looker but I can't find it. What does the preference 'classic pytivo' do? Is that just to turn on/off pyTivoX? What is the behavior supposed to be if you uncheck it?
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #577
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig_duggler View Post
Maybe I'm a bad looker but I can't find it. What does the preference 'classic pytivo' do? Is that just to turn on/off pyTivoX? What is the behavior supposed to be if you uncheck it?
pyTivoX supports putting movies on your tivo in two ways:
1) download (pytivo mode), where you look up movies in the now playing list, choose them, and it downloads them to your tivo
2) streaming (streambaby), where you choose a movie from the 'music,photos,showcases' and it streams it to the tivo (only works on tivo 3 and HD).

I generally recommend leaving both of them enabled, but you can turn off ones you're not using (to save memory, or if they are causing problems).

The only documentation really is at http://code.google.com/p/pytivox/wiki/FAQ , although I'm happy to update it if there's obvious stuff that isn't there

Old 05-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #578
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

Quote:
A slightly odd request, (Assuming you have iTiVo installed and pyTiVoX installed in /Applications). Can I get you to open up a Terminal.app and run (replace <MAK> with your actual MAK):
Hi Yoav-

Been out of town and just got the latest posts to this thread. I can certainly do that, but I just did a quick check and 1.3b1 definitely fixes the problem with .tivo file downloads. Thank you Yoav and Keary and wmcbrine!

If you still want me to run that Yoav, let me know.

Kupe
kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #579
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Not to confuse the issue, but it could also be partly ffmpeg related. On a couple of .TiVo files (a.tivo,b.tivo) running different versions of ffmpeg I get:
Thank you Keary for helping get to the bottom of this!

Kupe

PS- Streambaby still seems to be renaming files with Short Description over Title metadata, though I don't know if that was addressed or not. Just wanted to pass it along in case.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #580
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
OK, did that.
That fixed it wmc- thanks a million! .tivo files transfer perfectly.

Kupe
Old 05-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #581
Ergolad

Thumbs up This program rocks.

I love this thing. It use to be that if I had a file I wanted to play back on my Series 2 it was a whole thing. I found that I just never really did it because it was too much of a pain in the @$$ converting file formats, etc.. Now that I've got pyTivoX, it just works. Love it. Thanks for a rockin' program, it's great. No complaints!

Did I mention I love this program?
Ergolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #582
solutionsetc

A minor issue...

Wondering if this is a config issue on my end or just something I'll have to live with?

When comparing PyTiVoX shares (PyTivo mode in now playing list) with TiVo Desktop, The latter shows me the show name, and the show info just as if the show was in my NP list. But the PyTiVoX shares show the full file name...

i.e.; Craig_Ferguson__A_Wee_Bit_o'_Revolution_COMEDYP_1240030800.T iVo

And the info about that show is missing when you select it... which of course sometimes makes it difficult to know just which episode is which.

Have I missed something in setup or is this just the way it is?

Thanks,

-ss
Old 05-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #583
Yoav

Quote:
Wondering if this is a config issue on my end or just something I'll have to live with?
It's not a 'preference' that you need to enable. The problem is that pytivo needs the metadata stored in a file it can read alongside the movie file. (You really *are* set on using .tivo files aren't you?).

If you want the full show info to show up, you will need to get an appropriate 'metadata' text file with the same name as the movie file, with a .txt at the end (so craig_blah_blah.tivo.txt). The full documentation of what goes into such a metadata file is here: http://pytivo.armooo.net/wiki/MetaData

If you use iTiVo to download the shows from the tivo, an option in the downloading preference will generate a complete pytivo metadata file for you alongside the movie.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #584
solutionsetc

Quote:
It's not a 'preference' that you need to enable. The problem is that pytivo needs the metadata stored in a file it can read alongside the movie file. (You really *are* set on using .tivo files aren't you?).
Well I originally set up a TiVo desktop share on my work computer. This uses Toast's TiVo Transfer to transfer files. But having run out out storage there I decided to put a 1.5 TB drive on my bedroom G4 that is running my home automation server and a weather station. I decided to serve shows from that computer using PyTiVoX (since there are other video files on that machine that are not .tivo files and would like to use the transcoding/streaming features for those). But the TiVo files are still being transferred to the PyTivo share using TiVo Transfer as I don't really need any transcoding on the .Tivo files as I rarely do anything with'em other than transfer them back to a TiVo.

So your saying if I use iTiVo to download the shows from the tivo, an option in the downloading preference will generate a complete pytivo metadata file for me alongside the movie.

OK.. I will replace TiVo Transfer on the G4 to iTivo for the transferring of shows. Can I assume the following:

1.) iTivo will be no slower than Tivo Transfer with the transfer process.

2.) The metadata files created by iTivo are managed with the original shows; i.e. delete a show results in the metadata file going bye-bye (or do I have to manage those manually within the Finder?).

Thanks so much,

-ss
Old 05-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #585
Yoav

Quote:
OK.. I will replace TiVo Transfer on the G4 to iTivo for the transferring of shows. Can I assume the following:

1.) iTivo will be no slower than Tivo Transfer with the transfer process.
It will only be as fast if you choose 'decrypt' as your target format. Decrypt results in an mpeg-2 file that is the original mpeg-2 from the tivo. This will take up the most space (the same amount of space as the old .tivo file took). If you pick any other format as the target format it will be slower since it will actually have to re-encode the shows (although you will end up saving hard drive space)
Quote:
2.) The metadata files created by iTivo are managed with the original shows; i.e. delete a show results in the metadata file going bye-bye (or do I have to manage those manually within the Finder?).
You will also have to delete the metadata file (it's a seperate file with .txt added on the end). It will not be automatically deleted. Each of these files is around 2k in size, so leaving them around won't be a disaster -- it will still be cleaner to delete them though.

My suggestion is to try it out and see if you prefer it. If not, you can always switch back to tivo transfer and 'suck up' the lack of metadata with pytivo, or manually create the metadata..

You will gain some other nifty things from doing it this way (although you may not care). Those include 'streambaby' being able to usefully stream your file (if you have a tivo 3 or HD), and of course, the fact that you can also view the shows you transferred on your mac (with VLC), or you can even further convert it to useful things with programs like Handbrake....

Last edited by Yoav : 05-21-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #586
solutionsetc

Got it! Thanks. I have many apps for transcoding should I ever really want to edit and save the files. For 99% of it, I just want to offload files from the TiVo to my server for restoration back to TiVo.

Quote:
It will only be as fast if you choose 'decrypt' as your target format.
Can you tell me what the difference is between "decrypt" and "decrypt/copy"?

Thanx,

-ss
Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 AM   #587
Yoav

Quote:
Got it! Thanks. I have many apps for transcoding should I ever really want to edit and save the files. For 99% of it, I just want to offload files from the TiVo to my server for restoration back to TiVo.

Can you tell me what the difference is between "decrypt" and "decrypt/copy"?

Thanx,

-ss
decrypt takes the .tivo and runs tivodecode on it to extract the mpeg-2 file inside. decrypt/copy runs tivodecode and then re-encodes it with mencoder, using the 'copy the bits' flag. This is really only useful if you're trying to do some stuff with the file (like extract subtitles, or cut commercials)... I strongly suggest avoiding decrypt/copy as it kind of sucks...

Old 05-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #588
cleverdevil

Wow, great job. pyTivoX works great for me! It would be even more awesome if you integrated theHME/VLC streamer application which I also can't seem to get working. Then it'd be perfect!

By the way, I also had the problem someone had above with the Apple MOV trailers not working at "Same" quality, but found that if I exported the file an an MP4 using QuickTime with "Pass through" for both the video and audio (thus no loss in quality), it worked perfectly.
cleverdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #589
solutionsetc

Aspect Ratio Problems when Streaming

I have some Apple supplied .m4v files. Some are 4:3 640x480, and these play at the proper AR. Others are 16:9 640x360, and these are squished into 4:3.

Can anything be done to get the 16:9 files to play with the proper AR?
Old 05-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #590
norbertsf

Can't configure 1.2.1 version

Ok, I love the usability I get from this app on the Mac! Love it! BUT, I just downloaded the latest version, and now I cannot get the the window to add the shared folders up. I checked in the Activity Monitor and the pyTivoX app is listed as running. It is not listed in the Finder menu "upper right". I even unchecked "open at login" in the dock pop-up menu. What am I doing wrong. I did not have this problem with the last version, do I have to go back to 1.2? ( I have restarted multiple times) OS 10.5.7 Intel mac.
Norbert

Just tried version 1.2 can't configure either....help

Ok I have "pyTivoX" up in the Apple menu.
Only Options are:
"about pyTivoX"
"check for updates..."
"hide pyTivoX"
"Quit pyTivoX"

Last edited by norbertsf : 05-25-2009 at 01:47 PM.
norbertsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #591
solutionsetc

Try checking your console log at launch. There may be a clue in there.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #592
norbertsf

Problem solved!

I was missing the tivo icon in the menu. Found it and brought up the window.
Thanks.

This is a great app.

Norbert
norbertsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #593
dilbret

I can't seem to find a reference to this so I'm going to ask. I recently reconfigured things on my network so that I'm using Leopard Server as my gateway on a Dual G5 with one interface configured for the WAN and the other for the LAN. I was able to correctly change the beacon for pytivo to use the LAN interface but can't seem to do the same for streambaby. I modified the ~/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/streambaby.ini file to reflect the correct IP but when I look in the streambaby.log file after restarting pyTivoX it still shows it as starting up on the WAN interface which of course means that my Tivo can't see it. Am I missing somewhere else to change the IP for streambaby or is there something that I need to do to force it to reread the streambaby.ini file?
dilbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #594
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbret View Post
I can't seem to find a reference to this so I'm going to ask. I recently reconfigured things on my network so that I'm using Leopard Server as my gateway on a Dual G5 with one interface configured for the WAN and the other for the LAN. I was able to correctly change the beacon for pytivo to use the LAN interface but can't seem to do the same for streambaby. I modified the ~/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/streambaby.ini file to reflect the correct IP but when I look in the streambaby.log file after restarting pyTivoX it still shows it as starting up on the WAN interface which of course means that my Tivo can't see it. Am I missing somewhere else to change the IP for streambaby or is there something that I need to do to force it to reread the streambaby.ini file?
(sounds like you did the right thing:

edit <user>/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/streambaby.ini, change "ip=" to the IP address associated with your LAN (not the router on the LAN, but the actual IP address of your mac on the LAN). Save the file, and 'exit' and 'start' pyTivoX.

)

There is no other location, but make sure that you're not hitting 'restart' on pyTivoX. That should do it. If it's not, can you attach the contents of your <user>/Library/Logs/pyTivoX/streambaby.log ?

It's possible that the old streambaby is refusing to exit for some reason (me loves java too). If that's the case, you can either reboot your computer (cheap and easy way) or run something like 'killall -9 java' in a Terminal.app (assuming that's the only java program you had running) before starting up pyTivoX again.

Last edited by Yoav : 05-30-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #595
dilbret

Quote:
(sounds like you did the right thing:

edit <user>/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/streambaby.ini, change "ip=" to the IP address associated with your LAN (not the router on the LAN, but the actual IP address of your mac on the LAN). Save the file, and 'exit' and 'start' pyTivoX.

)

There is no other location, but make sure that you're not hitting 'restart' on pyTivoX. That should do it. If it's not, can you attach the contents of your <user>/Library/Logs/pyTivoX/streambaby.log ?

It's possible that the old streambaby is refusing to exit for some reason (me loves java too). If that's the case, you can either reboot your computer (cheap and easy way) or run something like 'killall -9 java' in a Terminal.app (assuming that's the only java program you had running) before starting up pyTivoX again.
Tried the killall and the reboot (had wanted to avoid that since the box is my DHCP/DNS server) and neither one worked. Attached are the log and ini files with the personal bits x'd out.
Attached Files
File Type: txt streambaby.ini.txt (1.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: txt streambaby.log.txt (3.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #596
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Streambaby recently got a fix for incorrect binding that corrected a similar issue for me. The fix is in the r238 build: http://streambaby.googlecode.com/fil...y-svn-r238.zip

In my case there wasn't a second adapter, but streambaby was binding to 127.0.0.1.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #597
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
Streambaby recently got a fix for incorrect binding that corrected a similar issue for me.
The fix is in the r238 build: http://streambaby.googlecode.com/fil...y-svn-r238.zip

In my case there wasn't a second adapter, but streambaby was binding to 127.0.0.1.
Ok looks like it's time to build a new beta then
I'll go update the beta (you'll need to install the beta instead of the regular version to get the fix).

edit: Ok the new beta is up now... Tell me if things work for you now?

Last edited by Yoav : 05-30-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #598
dilbret

Quote:
Ok looks like it's time to build a new beta then
I'll go update the beta (you'll need to install the beta instead of the regular version to get the fix).

edit: Ok the new beta is up now... Tell me if things work for you now?
That did the trick. Always a nice feeling when you're doing it right and the code is at fault (at least when it's not your own code )
Old 05-31-2009, 12:39 AM   #599
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Sound Synch

I have some H.264 QuickTime movies, each about 10 minutes long, that I transfer via pyTiVoX to a Series 2 DVR. The further into the recordings I get while playing on the TiVo, the further out of synch the sound gets. Nearing the 10 minute mark, the sound is ahead of the image by 1-2 seconds. I hear their voices before their lips move.

The recordings play fine on the Mac. It's only after pyTiVoX has transferred them to the TiVo DVR that the sound is out of synch.

Does pyTiVoX not like H.264?
Old 05-31-2009, 01:06 AM   #600
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
I have some H.264 QuickTime movies, each about 10 minutes long, that I transfer via pyTiVoX to a Series 2 DVR. The further into the recordings I get while playing on the TiVo, the further out of synch the sound gets. Nearing the 10 minute mark, the sound is ahead of the image by 1-2 seconds. I hear their voices before their lips move.

The recordings play fine on the Mac. It's only after pyTiVoX has transferred them to the TiVo DVR that the sound is out of synch.

Does pyTiVoX not like H.264?
Generally pyTivoX (specifically pyTivo) works perfectly well with h.264 video, and most audio, in most containers (I assume you're using mpeg-4 with aac?).

It sounds like with your specific file, when ffmpeg converts from h.264 to mpeg-2 for the tivo 2, the audio slowly loses sync (probably due to 29.97 vs 30 fps math). It might help if you include the output of 'ffmpeg -i <filename>' so we can know instead of guess.

Having said that, there's probably a way to fix it (although it may involve re-encoding the movie in advance). I'm not really that good with ffmpeg options, so hopefully someone else can jump in and suggest something...

Last edited by Yoav : 05-31-2009 at 01:13 AM.