TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #511
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I have a workaround in my repo now. Text is checked for valid UTF-8ness; if it fails, it's treated as either Mac Roman (for the Mac) or ISO 8859-1 (all other platforms). I think this will handle most cases, and at a minimum, will send no more bogus UTF-8 to the TiVo.
Ok, new test build up on

http://yoav.org/files/pyTivoX-beta.dmg

Is it doing the right thing?
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #512
catbastet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13
Seems to work great, thanks everyone for the help.

On a completely separate topic, is there any easy way to make the pytivo list alphabetical even in the now playing list is by most recent?
catbastet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:25 AM   #513
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by catbastet View Post
Seems to work great, thanks everyone for the help.
I have one more question for you, if you don't mind: What editor did you use to produce these Mac Roman-encoded metadata text files? See, I'd read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
With the release of Mac OS X, Mac OS Roman was replaced by UTF-8 as the standard character encoding for the Macintosh operating system.
But I guess that isn't entirely true, is it?

Quote:
On a completely separate topic, is there any easy way to make the pytivo list alphabetical even in the now playing list is by most recent?
Not yet...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #514
catbastet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13
I just used text edit, and I just pressed save and kept everything default not changing anything. When I straightened the quotes I used text wrangler (bbedit), again all defaults.
catbastet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #515
solutionsetc
Registered User
 
solutionsetc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern Sierra Nevada
Posts: 658
First... Thanks Yoav for this.

I am having an issue that I have not seen discussed here so maybe I am doing something stupid. When I try to stream I am getting an http failure error after what seems like a timeout on the TiVo.

I am guessing this is a firewall issue for if I turn my firewall off to allow all incoming connections streaming seems to work fine. But I would prefer not to do that.

If the firewall is on, downloading of shows works from "Now Playing" but trying to stream from "Showcases etc." brings up the http connection error after a minute or two of "Please wait".

Edit... Ok it was stupid. I see Streaming is a java based app and I had Java set to disallow incoming connections.

Last edited by solutionsetc : 05-02-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: My Bad
solutionsetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #516
solutionsetc
Registered User
 
solutionsetc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern Sierra Nevada
Posts: 658
So for now just one more question...

When streaming I don't seem to be able to jump ahead and have the stream reset. It acts like it is going to (Please wait) but then just resets the stream to 0.
solutionsetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #517
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by solutionsetc View Post
So for now just one more question...

When streaming I don't seem to be able to jump ahead and have the stream reset. It acts like it is going to (Please wait) but then just resets the stream to 0.
If I understand correctly, you're saying that when you use streambaby (under Photos, Music, Showcases) and hit the fast forward to a point which hasn't been downloaded yet, it instead rewinds to the beginning of the movie?

Normally, it will 'clean up' the buffer (so it will look like you have nothing downloaded) but it's supposed to resume playing from where it is.. not from the beginning of the movie.

I haven't seen this happen before, but your previous posting seems to mention a bunch of firewalling going on and it might be confusing streambaby. Please make sure you're running the beta: http://code.google.com/p/pytivox/downloads/list (streambaby has had a lot of code changes go in). If it's still happening under the beta, can you attach the log file (under <user>/Library/Logs/pyTivoX/streambaby.log ).. maybe we can see something useful in there...
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Yoav : 05-02-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #518
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
pushed out 1.2 .. includes latest streambaby and pytivo-wmcbrine
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #519
dejardin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 9
Arrow New pytivoX user struggling

Hello--

I've been trying to get pytivoX to work for the last couple of days with no luck. I just updated pytivo to 1.2 on my new Intel Mac Mini running Python 2.5.1. I have both Series 2 and Series 3 HD TiVos, and so far no luck with anything showing up in either NPL. I've used pytivo successfully in the past on a PC, but it has been shut down the whole time I've worked on pytivoX. Both TiVos and the Mac show up in the DHCP clients table and there's only one network. I have one shared folder set up with files in it. No help from a TiVo restart, either. pyTivoX.log only shows the "pyTivo is ready" message, nothing else. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

dejardin
dejardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #520
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejardin View Post
Hello--

I've been trying to get pytivoX to work for the last couple of days with no luck. I just updated pytivo to 1.2 on my new Intel Mac Mini running Python 2.5.1. I have both Series 2 and Series 3 HD TiVos, and so far no luck with anything showing up in either NPL. I've used pytivo successfully in the past on a PC, but it has been shut down the whole time I've worked on pytivoX. Both TiVos and the Mac show up in the DHCP clients table and there's only one network. I have one shared folder set up with files in it. No help from a TiVo restart, either. pyTivoX.log only shows the "pyTivo is ready" message, nothing else. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

dejardin
Did you hit 'apply'?
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #521
dejardin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Did you hit 'apply'?
Repeatedly and with great force. Except for when I tried changing the beacon address, because hitting apply then changes it back, correct?

Mike
dejardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #522
solutionsetc
Registered User
 
solutionsetc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern Sierra Nevada
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
If I understand correctly, you're saying that when you use streambaby (under Photos, Music, Showcases) and hit the fast forward to a point which hasn't been downloaded yet, it instead rewinds to the beginning of the movie?
Yoav,

I turned the firewall off, deleted all files relating to PyTivoX, and downloaded a fresh copy of the beta (13). Here is the unexpected behavior I am seeing:

1.) When trying to play some of the programs (all ".tivo" files), some give me a grey screen with red text indicating the stream is incompatible. Some are hi-def, others are SD. At this point I see no rhyme or reason why some play and others seem to be incompatible.

2.) Of the streams that do play, fast forwarding brings up a grey box in the center of the screen with numbers indicating the time I am advancing. When I press play I get the "Please Wait" symbol and after a few seconds the stream restarts playing from zero.

I can also press a number on the remote (and I see this number at the bottom center of the screen) and then press advance. This behaves the same as above where "Please Wait" comes up and then the stream restarts from the beginning.

You can find my streambaby log from this last session at:

http://solutionsetcetera.com/pytivox...ambaby.log.zip

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

-ss
solutionsetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #523
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejardin View Post
Repeatedly and with great force. Except for when I tried changing the beacon address, because hitting apply then changes it back, correct?

Mike
Can I get you to attach the contents of your <user>/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/pyTivo.conf here? It *sounds* like the mac is not seeing any of the broadcast requests from the tivos, so it never makes itself available to them.

Out of interest, is streambaby working to your tivo 3?
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #524
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by solutionsetc View Post
Yoav,

I turned the firewall off, deleted all files relating to PyTivoX, and downloaded a fresh copy of the beta (13). Here is the unexpected behavior I am seeing:

1.) When trying to play some of the programs (all ".tivo" files), some give me a grey screen with red text indicating the stream is incompatible. Some are hi-def, others are SD. At this point I see no rhyme or reason why some play and others seem to be incompatible.
Streambaby doesn't really support .tivo files. It's pretty much feeding it as-is to the tivo and letting the tivo do its thing with it. Since .tivo files are encrypted, there is no way for streambaby to 'jump' somewhere in the middle of the stream (which is required when you fast-forward beyond the buffer). I can't tell you why the tivo likes some of them but not others.... I guess be happy that you're even getting it to partially work...

I strongly recommend you decrypt the .tivo file to the actual mpeg-2. A .tivo file is pretty much useless to anything except the original tivo it came from (and any other tivos with the same MAK). You can use tools like 'tivodecode' to do this (or use iTiVo when you're fetching from the tivo, and use the 'decrypt' format).

Quote:
2.) Of the streams that do play, fast forwarding brings up a grey box in the center of the screen with numbers indicating the time I am advancing. When I press play I get the "Please Wait" symbol and after a few seconds the stream restarts playing from zero.
This behavior is not surprising. Please try it with an unencrypted video format (like a regular mp4 or mpeg-2 file) and tell me if you're still seeing such behavior.

Quote:
I can also press a number on the remote (and I see this number at the bottom center of the screen) and then press advance. This behaves the same as above where "Please Wait" comes up and then the stream restarts from the beginning.
same reason...
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #525
solutionsetc
Registered User
 
solutionsetc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern Sierra Nevada
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Streambaby doesn't really support .tivo files.
I see. My bad. Perhaps you could add this to the FAQ to prevent others from making the assumption that I did (that .tivo files would stream). You also might want to mention that the OS X firewall needs to be set to allow incoming connections from Java.

Now all seems to be behaving as expected. Thanks again for this!

-ss
solutionsetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #526
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by solutionsetc View Post
I see. My bad. Perhaps you could add this to the FAQ to prevent others from making the assumption that I did (that .tivo files would stream). You also might want to mention that the OS X firewall needs to be set to allow incoming connections from Java.

Now all seems to be behaving as expected. Thanks again for this!

-ss
Sounds good Updating FAQ now.
thanks
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #527
dejardin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Can I get you to attach the contents of your <user>/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/pyTivo.conf here? It *sounds* like the mac is not seeing any of the broadcast requests from the tivos, so it never makes itself available to them.

Out of interest, is streambaby working to your tivo 3?
I haven't tried streambaby as of yet. I'm not as familiar with it as the pytivo functionality, which has worked well for me in the past. Is it worth doing both? I'm generally working with AVIs, which needs pytivo I believe.

.conf file attached. Let me know if any problems reading it. Thanks!

dejardin
Attached Files
File Type: txt pytivoX.conf.txt (544 Bytes, 3 views)
dejardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #528
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejardin View Post
I haven't tried streambaby as of yet. I'm not as familiar with it as the pytivo functionality, which has worked well for me in the past. Is it worth doing both? I'm generally working with AVIs, which needs pytivo I believe.

.conf file attached. Let me know if any problems reading it. Thanks!

dejardin
Ermm
That conf file is completely garbaged...

It looks right in TextEdit, but when I examine it it's FILLED with rdf control codes. Please hit 'apply' again, and see if pytivo works WITHOUT making edits to the conf file. If it's still failing, send me the resulting conf file?

for what it's worth, here's the actual contents of your file:

Code:
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf949\cocoasubrtf430
{\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\margl1440\margr1440\vieww9000\viewh8400\viewkind0
\pard\tx720\tx1440\tx2160\tx2880\tx3600\tx4320\tx5040\tx5760\tx6480\tx7200\tx7920\tx8640\ql\qnatural\pardirnatural

\f0\fs24 \cf0 # Created by pyTivoX, edits here WILL BE OVERWRITTEN\
\
[Admin]\
type=admin\
\
[Server]\
debug=True\
ffmpeg=/Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg.bin\
beacon=192.168.1.255\
[MacTiVo]\
type=video\
path=/Users/mike/TiVo}

__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #529
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejardin View Post
I haven't tried streambaby as of yet. I'm not as familiar with it as the pytivo functionality, which has worked well for me in the past. Is it worth doing both?
I think it's worth doing both . Especially if you have a large library of movies on your computer, have a fast network, and a tivo 3 / HD.

Either way, it's trivial to try, and it will let us see if there's an underlying network issue, or if pytivo is having problems.

I *assume* your tivo's IP address is something like 192.168.1.XXX ?
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #530
dejardin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
I think it's worth doing both . Especially if you have a large library of movies on your computer, have a fast network, and a tivo 3 / HD.

Either way, it's trivial to try, and it will let us see if there's an underlying network issue, or if pytivo is having problems.

I *assume* your tivo's IP address is something like 192.168.1.XXX ?
Yup, that's my network. I started up streambaby, but no luck with that showing up on my Series 3 either; I get an HTTP error 0x50005. Here's my .conf file, less munged:

# Created by pyTivoX, edits here WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

[Admin]
type=admin

[Server]
debug=True
ffmpeg=/Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg.bin
beacon=192.168.1.255
[MacTiVo]
type=video
path=/Users/mike/TiVo

pytivo.log:
INFO: pyTivo: pyTivo is ready.

streambaby.log: attached
Attached Files
File Type: txt streambaby.txt (3.4 KB, 1 views)
dejardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #531
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Ok, I'm going to guess that something is filtering traffic between your tivos and your mac. Streambaby is broadcasting a bonjour request for what tivos are out there and getting nothing.

Are you SURE there is no firewalling on either the mac or your router?

Have you rebooted the tivo yet (sometimes it seems to have network issues that a reboot of the tivo or router can fix)?
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #532
dejardin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Ok, I'm going to guess that something is filtering traffic between your tivos and your mac. Streambaby is broadcasting a bonjour request for what tivos are out there and getting nothing.

Are you SURE there is no firewalling on either the mac or your router?

Have you rebooted the tivo yet (sometimes it seems to have network issues that a reboot of the tivo or router can fix)?
Ah, I hadn't caught onto the firewall requirement. My apologies. Yes, I have OSX's firewall going. I don't quite get, however, how to allow incoming connections for Java; I can do it per application, and I tried it for pyTivoX, but that didn't work. How do you set it correctly for Java? And yes, I have restarted the TiVo a couple of times throughout this whole process.

One other thing I wanted to mention: I sometimes have trouble getting the pyTivoX window to show up in the Finder when choosing Show/Hide Config from the the taskbar. It hides behind other windows and doesn't show up in the Command-Tab switching window. I do have it set to start at login; is this common? Thanks a million for all your quick responses.

dejardin
dejardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 AM   #533
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejardin View Post
Ah, I hadn't caught onto the firewall requirement. My apologies. Yes, I have OSX's firewall going. I don't quite get, however, how to allow incoming connections for Java; I can do it per application, and I tried it for pyTivoX, but that didn't work. How do you set it correctly for Java? And yes, I have restarted the TiVo a couple of times throughout this whole process.

One other thing I wanted to mention: I sometimes have trouble getting the pyTivoX window to show up in the Finder when choosing Show/Hide Config from the the taskbar. It hides behind other windows and doesn't show up in the Command-Tab switching window. I do have it set to start at login; is this common? Thanks a million for all your quick responses.

dejardin
I don't really use OS X's firewalling, and honestly am not 100% sure what you'd need to do. For sure pyTivo uses python as an underlying application, and sets up connections over port 9032 and whatever else it needs.

streambaby uses java and port 7288.

Additionally, they both rely on UDP multicast/broadcast for bonjour discovery (I believe that happens over port 53).

But really, not sure.. If you do figure out a full instruction list and don't mind writing it up, I'll be happy to include it in the FAQ...


As for the pyTivoX window being behind. I'm aware of it and havent been able to fix it. TECHNICAL DETAILS: Basically, to 'hide the dock icon' and 'remove the menu and window' I set NSUIElement to 1 in the properties list for the program. When this is done, even though I instruct the window to pop up to the front (using makeKeyAndOrderFront), yet it always ends up behind the topmost window.

So yeah, suck and I havent figured out a way around this. But you can always use Expose or just minimize some windows -- or just not use 'launch at login' if you actually need regular access to the main window).
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:14 AM   #534
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral
 
westside_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The soggy part of the Pacific NW
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
I don't really use OS X's firewalling, and honestly am not 100% sure what you'd need to do. For sure pyTivo uses python as an underlying application, and sets up connections over port 9032 and whatever else it needs.
With OS X 10.5, the default firewall is application-based. If an application tries to access the network, you should get a pop-up asking whether or not the application should be allowed to accept incoming network connections. With this firewall you don't need to track port numbers. When I launched pyTivo and streambaby for the first time, I'm pretty sure I did get asked whether they should be allowed to accept connections (which you do need to say "yes" to, of course).

If the user is using the "allow only essential services" setting, it isn't adjustable as far as I know - that could be the problem. You have to use the option that lets you set access for specific programs and applications.

With previous versions of OS X, it was of course port-based - so you had to allow specific port numbers, make sure you knew if they were TCP or UDP, etc.

I find the 10.5 firewall rather limiting, and keep telling myself I need to disable it and manually switch back to ipfw (the 10.4 firewall); but it's more of a minor annoyance than a major problem so I haven't actually done anything about it yet.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:08 AM   #535
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Additionally, they both rely on UDP multicast/broadcast for bonjour discovery (I believe that happens over port 53).
pyTivo doesn't use Bonjour, although I'm implementing that now (well, Zeroconf). It uses the old-style TiVo Connect Discovery beacons, on port 2190.

Zeroconf/Rendevous/Bonjour uses port 5353. Port 53 is regular DNS.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #536
dilbret
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4
Transfer Problems

I'm running the latest beta of PyTivoX 1.2b13 on both my G5 tower and my Intel Mini. The problem that I'm running into is in trying to transfer recordings from the G5 back to my TivoHD. All of the recordings that I try to transfer say that they are being added to the ToDo list instead of transferring immediately. If I try the same thing from the Intel Mini the recordings transfer just like they should. I know that with an earlier beta (not sure which) transfers worked from the G5 without a problem. The recordings are shows downloaded from my Series2DT via iTivo. If I turn on streambaby support on the G5 the shows will stream ok.
dilbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #537
dejardin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 9
Big Grin All working now--thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
I don't really use OS X's firewalling, and honestly am not 100% sure what you'd need to do. For sure pyTivo uses python as an underlying application, and sets up connections over port 9032 and whatever else it needs.

streambaby uses java and port 7288.

Additionally, they both rely on UDP multicast/broadcast for bonjour discovery (I believe that happens over port 53).

But really, not sure.. If you do figure out a full instruction list and don't mind writing it up, I'll be happy to include it in the FAQ...


As for the pyTivoX window being behind. I'm aware of it and havent been able to fix it. TECHNICAL DETAILS: Basically, to 'hide the dock icon' and 'remove the menu and window' I set NSUIElement to 1 in the properties list for the program. When this is done, even though I instruct the window to pop up to the front (using makeKeyAndOrderFront), yet it always ends up behind the topmost window.

So yeah, suck and I havent figured out a way around this. But you can always use Expose or just minimize some windows -- or just not use 'launch at login' if you actually need regular access to the main window).
It took a couple of days, but both Java and Python eventually showed up in the OSX firewall list (no popup that I saw). They were blocked by default, but as soon as I set them to allow incoming connections I was up and running on both pytivo and streambaby. Thanks for the help!

dejardin
dejardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #538
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbret View Post
I'm running the latest beta of PyTivoX 1.2b13 on both my G5 tower and my Intel Mini. The problem that I'm running into is in trying to transfer recordings from the G5 back to my TivoHD. All of the recordings that I try to transfer say that they are being added to the ToDo list instead of transferring immediately. If I try the same thing from the Intel Mini the recordings transfer just like they should. I know that with an earlier beta (not sure which) transfers worked from the G5 without a problem. The recordings are shows downloaded from my Series2DT via iTivo. If I turn on streambaby support on the G5 the shows will stream ok.
I can't imagine why PPC would queue and intel would just download immediately. This is to the same tivo, and you can alternate between computers and always get this? Stuff normally gets queued if the tivo/computer believes that it's already busy downloading something... Try rebooting the computer and the tivo and see if it 'fixes' itself....

Other than that, I really have no idea.. After it adds it to the queue, does it pretty much end up downloading it within five minutes anyways?
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #539
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 309
Hey gang-

Upgraded today to PyTivoX 1.2 from version 1.1b24.

Notice two things in 1.2. (The first also happened with 1.1b24)

1) Several .MOV files will not play to my TivoHD with Streambaby. They are all Star Trek HD movie trailers from the Apple website. When I try to stream them, I get Error: 0xffff
Those files do play just fine if I download them from Now Playing to my Tivo HD.

2) After streaming one movie, the movie's name changed in the file list in Streambaby. The file was named for the title of the movie, but for some reason PyTivo changed the name to numbers which appear to represent the running time of the movie. When I check the file on my Mac, it is still named properly by the movie title.

I'm running OS 10.5.6 on an Intel iMac.

Kupe
kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #540
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupe View Post
Hey gang-

Upgraded today to PyTivoX 1.2 from version 1.1b24.

Notice two things in 1.2. (The first also happened with 1.1b24)

1) Several .MOV files will not play to my TivoHD with Streambaby. They are all Star Trek HD movie trailers from the Apple website. When I try to stream them, I get Error: 0xffff
Those files do play just fine if I download them from Now Playing to my Tivo HD.
Sounds like a film that is mis-identified as 'streamable as-is' by newer versions of streambaby. Can you open up a Terminal.app and run something like
Code:
 /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg -i (full path to your movie file)
So we can see what it's being identified as? In the meanwhile, it should still work in streambaby as long as you select a quality other than 'same'.

Quote:
2) After streaming one movie, the movie's name changed in the file list in Streambaby. The file was named for the title of the movie, but for some reason PyTivo changed the name to numbers which appear to represent the running time of the movie. When I check the file on my Mac, it is still named properly by the movie title.
The version of streambaby you have will first use the filename when compiling the list of movies (which is why it works initially), but as soon as it looks in the file, it will trust the 'metadata' in the file for the actual name of the film. It sounds to me like the metadata in your movie is incorrectly set to use the running time as the title. a tool like 'MetaX' can help you mess with the metadata in a movie without re-encoding it.
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |