TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #481
TadK

Will watch it

I'll keep an eye out for anything funny and report back. Thanks again guys for the amazing support.
Tad
TadK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #482
farble1670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
pyTivoX is an Apple Mac OSX application that lets you view movies that are stored on your computer via your Tivo.
thanks for the awesome software.
farble1670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #483
catbastet

Strange Behavior

Since at least 1.2b12 lots of videos on my pytivo server do not show up in the list anymore. The last time I checked it, and transferred stuff was probably late last week so I don't know for sure with which release it started.

The videos that do and do not show up seem random to me (but I'm sure its not). If I go look at the same lists with Streambaby or the 1.1 version of pytivox, they all show up.

For example it lists:

folder (15)

but when I go into that folder nothing is there. Sometimes there will be a few of them, maybe 2 or 3 of the 15 that should be.
catbastet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #484
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbastet View Post
Since at least 1.2b12 lots of videos on my pytivo server do not show up in the list anymore. The last time I checked it, and transferred stuff was probably late last week so I don't know for sure with which release it started.

The videos that do and do not show up seem random to me (but I'm sure its not). If I go look at the same lists with Streambaby or the 1.1 version of pytivox, they all show up.

For example it lists:

folder (15)

but when I go into that folder nothing is there. Sometimes there will be a few of them, maybe 2 or 3 of the 15 that should be.
Is it always the same videos that are not listed, or is it a different set each time?
Have you tried hitting 'apply' and does that fix anything up?

Can I get you to try getting the list again from pyTivo, and then attach the contents of
Code:
 <user>/Library/Logs/pyTivoX/pytivo.log
So we can see if anything interesting is going on?

Thanks again.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #485
catbastet

Strange Behavior

Yes its always the same videos that are and are not displayed. Hitting apply doesn't help and I even tried rebooting the computer (just in case).

There are 18 folders in the first level. In some of the folders all the videos show up fine, some of them a few of the videos show, and in some none of them show up.

The files are mostly all either .avi or .mkv (and it shows and doesn't show different combinations of these)
Attached Files
File Type: zip pytivo.log.zip (2.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #486
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I don't see anything there. (As I post this, BTW, it says 0 views, but I did actually download it.) Maybe something would show up with debug on?

Show us a directory listing and indicate which ones don't appear.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #487
catbastet

Strange Behavior

I'm not sure how you might want me to show a directory listing, I don't know if a screenshot would really work. Here is a new logfile though with debug turned on (I hope).

Also I checked with an older copy I had and it definitely still worked the way it is supposed to work with 1.2beta10. I don't have beta11 anywhere so I'm not sure about that one.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pytivo.log#2.zip (1.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #488
Yoav

Quote:
I'm not sure how you might want me to show a directory listing, I don't know if a screenshot would really work. Here is a new logfile though with debug turned on (I hope).

Also I checked with an older copy I had and it definitely still worked the way it is supposed to work with 1.2beta10. I don't have beta11 anywhere so I'm not sure about that one.
Nope that log doesn't seem to have debug turned on.
I built a version of pytivox that will turn on debug for you (you'll need to run it and hit 'apply'). Download it from http://yoav.org/files/pyTivoX-beta.dmg and drag the pyTivoX inside to your Applications folder (over the old pyTivox presumably). Make sure to hit the 'Apply' button, then go to your tivo, try and see the folders on the tivo, and then re-send us the logs...

To get a directory listing you can just copy here, open up Terminal.app, and run
Code:
 ls -lR "Location"  > ~/Desktop/full_list.txt
Location is where pyTivoX claims your movies are. (The first thing in Shared Directories). This will generate a complete recursive list of your movies into a file named "full_list.txt" on your desktop which you can then attach here..

For example, for my setup I would type
Code:
ls -lR "/Volumes/External Disk/movies" > ~/Desktop/full_list.txt

Old 04-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #489
catbastet

Strange Behavior

Alright, here is the new log and a directory listing. I also installed that special debug version, but the log looks the same to me.

in the 30rock folder, only videos 17, 18, and 19 show in the list on my TiVo.

in the greek folder (and the sub directory 720) none of the videos show up.

in the my boys folder everything is listed exactly as it should be
Attached Files
File Type: zip full_list.txt.zip (1.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: zip pytivo.log#3.zip (1.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #490
Yoav

Quote:
I also installed that special debug version, but the log looks the same to me.
Did you hit 'apply' after installing it? (that is required to activate the debug logging).
Did you get the log out of <user>/Library/Logs/pyTivoX/pytivo.log ?

Looking at the list, I notice that the 'greek' folder has extended information about it. You probably
need to open up the folder using the option-click , 'get info', and see what the permissions on that
folder are...

can you run
Code:
 mdls /Volumes/dot/TV/active/test/greek
and show us the output. *something* in there is preventing pytivo from seeing those files.

Last edited by Yoav : 04-26-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #491
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The listing shows ampersands, single quotes, commas and umlauts -- one or more of these could be a problem. I'll see if I can duplicate your issue.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #492
catbastet

Strange Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The listing shows ampersands, single quotes, commas and umlauts -- one or more of these could be a problem. I'll see if I can duplicate your issue.
I was wondering about that, and I can certainly change it, but I did check and most of the folders, even all the ones that show up fine have files with those characters as well.

Also, it just started happening with this version, so it used to not be a problem. If it had been a problem from the start I probably would have just left those characters out, I don't really need them they just look nicer to me. I realize they can sometimes cause problems

Quote:
Did you hit 'apply' after installing it? (that is required to activate the debug logging).
Did you get the log out of <user>/Library/Logs/pyTivoX/pytivo.log ?
yes and yes

Quote:
Looking at the list, I notice that the 'greek' folder has extended information about it. You probably
need to open up the folder using the option-click , 'get info', and see what the permissions on that
folder are...

can you run
Code:
 mdls /Volumes/dot/TV/active/test/greek
and show us the output. *something* in there is preventing pytivo from seeing those files.
kMDItemContentCreationDate = 2008-09-02 20:34:10 -0500
kMDItemContentModificationDate = 2009-03-31 13:54:35 -0500
kMDItemContentType = "public.folder"
kMDItemContentTypeTree = (
"public.folder",
"public.directory",
"public.item"
)
kMDItemDisplayName = "greek"
kMDItemFSContentChangeDate = 2009-03-31 13:54:35 -0500
kMDItemFSCreationDate = 2008-09-02 20:34:10 -0500
kMDItemFSCreatorCode = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags = 0
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon = 0
kMDItemFSInvisible = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden = 0
kMDItemFSIsStationery = 0
kMDItemFSLabel = 0
kMDItemFSName = "greek"
kMDItemFSNodeCount = 2
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID = 20
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID = 501
kMDItemFSSize = (null)
kMDItemFSTypeCode = ""
kMDItemKind = "Folder"
kMDItemLastUsedDate = 2009-03-31 13:54:35 -0500
kMDItemUsedDates = (
2009-03-21 00:00:00 -0500,
2009-03-31 00:00:00 -0500
)
Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #493
Yoav

Hmm.
Looking at the metadata nothing jumps at me as to why it would deny pytivo the right to read those files.

However, I'm 99% sure that if debug is enabled, a bunch of "DEBUG:" lines would show up in the pytivo.log, and I'm not seeing any. Can you look at <user>/Library/Application Support/pytivo.conf and tell me if you see a line with "debug=True" in there?

Old 04-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #494
fishtank22

Feature REQUEST

Hey gang.. LOVE PYTIVO!!!!!

Just wondering if it would be possible to allow pytivoX to be able to read smart folders that are set up on my system. So if I created a "recent videos" smart folder than only showed videos from the past month that were a movie type.

This would be helpful for viewing videos show with my Panasonic Lumix cam that are sitting in my iphoto library.

Just a thought.

Thanks

Fish
fishtank22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #495
catbastet

Strange Behavior

Quote:
Hmm.
Looking at the metadata nothing jumps at me as to why it would deny pytivo the right to read those files.

However, I'm 99% sure that if debug is enabled, a bunch of "DEBUG:" lines would show up in the pytivo.log, and I'm not seeing any. Can you look at <user>/Library/Application Support/pytivo.conf and tell me if you see a line with "debug=True" in there?
Its very strange, I know. This is what the pytivo.conf that I got from
<user>/Library/Application Support/pytivox/pytivo.conf
says:

# Created by pyTivoX, edits here WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

[Admin]
type=admin

[Server]
debug=True
ffmpeg=/Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg.bin
beacon=10.0.1.255
[kori Movies]
type=video
path=/Volumes/dot/Movies

[kori TV]
type=video
path=/Volumes/dot/TV/active

[test]
type=video
path=/Volumes/dot/TV/active/test
Old 04-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #496
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank22 View Post
Hey gang.. LOVE PYTIVO!!!!!

Just wondering if it would be possible to allow pytivoX to be able to read smart folders that are set up on my system. So if I created a "recent videos" smart folder than only showed videos from the past month that were a movie type.

This would be helpful for viewing videos show with my Panasonic Lumix cam that are sitting in my iphoto library.

Just a thought.

Thanks

Fish
That would be an extremely cool thing, but I don't think that's going to happen .

Basically, a smart folder isn't really a folder. It's a description of a 'spotlight search', which tools that use the MacOS API can use and it appears to be a folder to them. However, if you look 'inside' this folder using standard unix calls, it just looks like a simple file with a lot of XML search options.

since streambaby and pytivo were both written using portable unix API calls, they can't look inside a smart folder.

There may be some hacks using folder actions that you can use to copy the newest files from a smart folder to a real folder, but I'm an expert in neither one ...

Old 04-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #497
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Also, it just started happening with this version, so it used to not be a problem.
There have been some recent changes that may be relevant.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #498
Yoav

Quote:
Its very strange, I know. This is what the pytivo.conf that I got from
Ok, I'm stumped, the config file is correct...

On the upside, wmcbrine has a hint about what may be going on (related to some code that was checked in recently). Hopefully he will chime in soon with a fix and all will be good...

It's remotely possible that there's some old pytivo still running which is why the config file is never being re-read. Fully quitting pyTivoX and starting it again is supposed to kill it... but *hmm*.

For now lets wait for wmcbrine to chime in. Maybe no 'debug-level' log-lines were being written out and everything is as it should-be. I'll build a new pyTivoX when he does and hopefully it will fix the problem.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #499
catbastet

Strange Behavior

Quote:
Ok, I'm stumped, the config file is correct...

On the upside, wmcbrine has a hint about what may be going on (related to some code that was checked in recently). Hopefully he will chime in soon with a fix and all will be good...

It's remotely possible that there's some old pytivo still running which is why the config file is never being re-read. Fully quitting pyTivoX and starting it again is supposed to kill it... but *hmm*.
That was the main reason why I tried restarting the computer, but even that probably isn't a 100% foolproof way of making sure an old copy of something isn't running.

Quote:
There have been some recent changes that may be relevant.
Just to test it then, I removed all of the ampersands, single quotes, commas and umlauts from the file names, still the same results.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #500
fishtank22

Quote:
That would be an extremely cool thing, but I don't think that's going to happen .

Basically, a smart folder isn't really a folder. It's a description of a 'spotlight search', which tools that use the MacOS API can use and it appears to be a folder to them. However, if you look 'inside' this folder using standard unix calls, it just looks like a simple file with a lot of XML search options.

since streambaby and pytivo were both written using portable unix API calls, they can't look inside a smart folder.

There may be some hacks using folder actions that you can use to copy the newest files from a smart folder to a real folder, but I'm an expert in neither one ...
I see... That's a bummer. Maybe a folder action that runs a unix script that creates a symbolic link in a different folder. But thats a bit beyond me.... I may do some research on that.

Thx for the reply
fishtank22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #501
Yoav

Quote:
Just to test it then, I removed all of the ampersands, single quotes, commas and umlauts from the file names, still the same results.
Well, so back to the only thing I noticed that was strange from your full listing: greek had some metadata that the other folder didn't.. so lets try this. Open up Terminal.app, and run the following commands:
Code:
cd /Volumes/dot/TV/active/test

mkdir newgreek

mv "greek/season 2" "newgreek/"
This should create a new directory named newgreek, and move the contents of greek into it. Restart pyTivoX, and see if the newgreek directory works as it should. If so, then there's something odd with the actual 'greek' directory. Do you know how it was created?
If not, then at least we know it has nothing to do with the odd metadata thing.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #502
Yoav

Oh, also, can you run in that Terminal.app
Code:
xattr greek
I'm wondering if that folder is being quarantined or something...

Old 04-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #503
catbastet

Strange Behavior

I made the new directory, its the same. I can see any video files, but the subfolder is visible.

When I run xattr nothing comes back at all, looking into it further it looks like the extra thing was showing up because I had it highlighted. I took off the highlighting so that extra tag isn't showing up any more
Old 04-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #504
catbastet

Strange Behavior

Ok, I figured it out, sorry for all the trouble. The problem is in the text files and not the video files. I should have tried eliminating those first.

This new version doesn't like smart quotes in the text files. Ampersands, commas and umlauts are all fine, but if it has any smart quotes in it then it just won't show that the file is even there (for me at least).

Now I just need to decide if I want to change all my files to straighten the quotes (which might be best practice anyway). I should be able to use something like text wrangler to batch it, but I have tons of them.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #505
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The TiVo can't digest those "smart quotes" anyway, AFAIK -- just shows them as boxes. But I'm surprised to hear that it's causing this problem, or that there's any difference in how they're handled now. Can you send me an example file?

Old 04-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #506
catbastet

That was sort of how I noticed that might be the problem. I saw the odd characters that showed up when I used the older versions. I think I will just change them all though, in the long run they will look nicer on the TiVo if I do them that way. I never noticed that they were even smart quotes when I made them, I just copied and pasted and didn't really pay attention.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sample.txt.zip (1.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #507
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

OK, so, that file is in the Mac Roman encoding. Since I'm now flagging the description as UTF-8 instead of ISO 8859-1, the non-ASCII characters turn into invalid UTF-8 sequences, and apparently this confuses the TiVo. (The ISO 8859-1 mapping wasn't right either, but in that case, they still appeared as valid characters.) I'll see what I can do to address this.

Meanwhile, if you resave the files as UTF-8, they should work, although the "smart quotes" still won't show up on the TiVo.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 04-27-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #508
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I have a workaround in my repo now. Text is checked for valid UTF-8ness; if it fails, it's treated as either Mac Roman (for the Mac) or ISO 8859-1 (all other platforms). I think this will handle most cases, and at a minimum, will send no more bogus UTF-8 to the TiVo.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #509
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Basically, a smart folder isn't really a folder.
Unless you use this, apparently:

http://googlemac.blogspot.com/2007/0...r-macfuse.html

I haven't tried it myself.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #510
Yoav

Quote:
Unless you use this, apparently:

http://googlemac.blogspot.com/2007/0...r-macfuse.html

I haven't tried it myself.
Oh nice
I actually have MacFuse but haven't tried this..

I guess all it would take would be to create a filesystem that is the spotlight search, and pyTivoX should happily accecpt it as a new source folder. Then pyTivo and streambaby will both stream files from there.

So fishtank: looks like there is a solution and it shouldn't be that hard to use... (crossing fingers)