TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
smthomas7

Suggestion for Inexpensive NAS for Plex Server?

I am looking for a suggestions for a NAS to act as a Plex server. I have a large library of mp4 files that I want to be able to play using the Plex app on the Bolt. From what I understand this would be the only way to really stream these files from the Bolt. Looking at NAS so that I don't need to run my computer all the time. In regards to the NAS I don't know if a low end model like a Netgear Readyshare 102 would work. I know the less expensive models have slower processors, but I don't know if the NAS would really need to transcode the files. I know Tivo can supposedly play mp4, but I don't know that my files are formatted 100% compliant with Tivo requirements. I assume that even if they need transcoded the processing power may be minimal since they would already be very close to compliant? Thanks for any advice.

smthomas7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:32 AM   #2
HomeUser

Plex community-maintained NAS Compatibility List
Netgear ReadyNAS 102 "Transcoding not supported"

I setup the Synology DS1515+ it worked great with the Premiere and Mini I understand there may be issues with the 1024K Bolt. Currently the DS1515+ is re-purposed as NAS storage with a Media Server PC.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
tazzmission

QNAP TS-451 here with transcoding, works great for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tazzmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
SNJpage1

I just bought a WD 2t My Cloud, which I think will do what you want. I haven't hooked it up yet so I can not say how it works. I bought from Tiger Direct during one of their daily sales for $109.