TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2015, 01:02 AM   #1
waynomo
My One Time

CPU Usage Using VideoReDo to Re-Encode a .tivo File

I've been using VideoReDo to re-encode TiVo downloaded files from mpeg2 to mpeg4 (mp4.) When doing this my cpu usage stays at 100%.

Is that normal?

I do have a video card installed. Should VideoReDo being using the GPU on the card instead of my CPU?

waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
I've been using VideoReDo to re-encode TiVo downloaded files from mpeg2 to mpeg4 (mp4.) When doing this my cpu usage stays at 100%.

Is that normal?

I do have a video card installed. Should VideoReDo being using the GPU on the card instead of my CPU?
Dan is of course the expert but that sounds right for a large re-encoding and VideoRedo would not use the GPU on the video card for re-encoding.

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Is that normal?
Absolutely, yes.

Quote:
Maybe? It depends on what the card can do, but you'd have to code specifically for it, and at best, it would only relieve part of the burden.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
lew

Assuming you have a compatible video card, and driver, videoredo will let you use the intel quick sync encoder. It will reduce your CPU usage.

I don't think VRD can use encoders for other video chips.

Edit your encoding profile. There is a drop down for encoder. Select intel quick sync

lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
Diana Collins

I run VRD on a dual CPU Xeon workstation (8 cores at 3GHz each) and an MPEG2 to h.264 re-encode runs all 8 cores to almost 100%.

So, yes, it is normal.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:49 AM   #6
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Assuming you have a compatible video card, and driver, videoredo will let you use the intel quick sync encoder. It will reduce your CPU usage.

I don't think VRD can use encoders for other video chips.

Edit your encoding profile. There is a drop down for encoder. Select intel quick sync
When I look at the data for Intel QuickSync Support I get this. Does this mean It is not supported and won't work?

- Auto : 0.0 , Unsupported
- Software : 0.0 , Unsupported
- Hardware : 0.0 , Unsupported
- Auto Any : 1.11 , Hardware via 'D3D9'
- Hardware Any: 1.11 , Hardware via 'D3D9'
- Hardware 2 : 1.11 , Hardware 2 via 'D3D11'
- Hardware 3 : 0.0 , Unsupported
- Hardware 4 : 0.0 , Unsupported
- Processor: : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
- Adapter: : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, 10.18.10.4276, 2015-08-17
- Adapter: : NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 , 10.18.13.6143, 2015-12-16

Old 01-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #7
moyekj

Quote:
When I look at the data for Intel QuickSync Support I get this. Does this mean It is not supported and won't work?

- Auto : 0.0 , Unsupported
- Software : 0.0 , Unsupported
- Hardware : 0.0 , Unsupported
- Auto Any : 1.11 , Hardware via 'D3D9'
- Hardware Any: 1.11 , Hardware via 'D3D9'
- Hardware 2 : 1.11 , Hardware 2 via 'D3D11'
- Hardware 3 : 0.0 , Unsupported
- Hardware 4 : 0.0 , Unsupported
- Processor: : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
- Adapter: : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, 10.18.10.4276, 2015-08-17
- Adapter: : NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 , 10.18.13.6143, 2015-12-16
Yes, that should work. The "trick" is you need to setup an encoding profile to use Encoder = Intel Quick Sync. You can do this easily in VRD 5 as following example:
Tools--Edit Output Profiles List...
Highlight "H.264 MP4"
Click on "Copy and Edit"
Give it a name such as "H.264 MP4 GPU"
Change "Encoder" to "Intel Quick Sync" and OK the form

Now choose the profile you created to encode.
In 1 sample encode of a 30 min HD mpeg2 video I tried using "H.264 MP4" profile took 22 minutes and maxed out CPU the whole time.
Same video using "H.264 MP4 GPU" profile took 5 minutes and 30-40% CPU. (This is using Intel HD Graphics 4600 GPU).

In your case if you're not seeing "Intel Quick Sync" as Encoder option since "Auto" says unsupported, you may have to go to Tools--Options--Intel QuickSync and set right column to "Hardware (device 2)".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj; 01-10-2016 at 09:39 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 01-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #8
lew

Intel quick syn is part of the integrated video. You're using a discrete video card. You may need some extra steps, depending on your setup. Use google.

Starting point
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...uick-sync.html

first try pp instructions. You might get lucky and be able to set up through video redo

Old 01-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #9
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
I run VRD on a dual CPU Xeon workstation (8 cores at 3GHz each) and an MPEG2 to h.264 re-encode runs all 8 cores to almost 100%.
Keep talking sexy baby!
I've got a quad core hyperthreaded turbo Xeon too. 8 cores rock our world.

So, yes, it is normal.

justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:37 PM   #10
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Yes, that should work. The "trick" is you need to setup an encoding profile to use Encoder = Intel Quick Sync. You can do this easily in VRD 5 as following example:
Tools--Edit Output Profiles List...
Highlight "H.264 MP4"
Click on "Copy and Edit"
Give it a name such as "H.264 MP4 GPU"
Change "Encoder" to "Intel Quick Sync" and OK the form

Now choose the profile you created to encode.
In 1 sample encode of a 30 min HD mpeg2 video I tried using "H.264 MP4" profile took 22 minutes and maxed out CPU the whole time.
Same video using "H.264 MP4 GPU" profile took 5 minutes and 30-40% CPU. (This is using Intel HD Graphics 4600 GPU).

In your case if you're not seeing "Intel Quick Sync" as Encoder option since "Auto" says unsupported, you may have to go to Tools--Options--Intel QuickSync and set right column to "Hardware (device 2)".
Dagnabit. It's not working for me. It's starts to work and looks like it is working as it should in the sense the percentage is increasing quickly, but somewhere when it is less than 10% done it stops/crashes.

I've tried fiddling with settings like dropping the resolution to Same as Source and some others, but nothing changes.

(I can still encode normally, but that takes forever.)

I'm thinking it might be my video card. It is not a very powerful card as I didn't feel the need to spend a lot when I got it.

I am welcome to suggestions as to things to change or better video cards to purchase.

(I did not see Intel Quick Sync until I made the change with Hardware that you suggested.)

Old 01-15-2016, 11:42 PM   #11
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Intel quick syn is part of the integrated video. You're using a discrete video card. You may need some extra steps, depending on your setup. Use google.

Starting point
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...uick-sync.html

first try pp instructions. You might get lucky and be able to set up through video redo
Hmm, I'm rereading your post with new eyes. I assumed you were telling me I was using a step that wasn't necessary since Intel Quick Sync was an option, but now I'm reading that as trying to get IQS to work with a second card takes a few tricks. I'll look into this again.

(By "pp" did you mean previous post?)

Old 01-16-2016, 12:53 AM   #12
moyekj

Quote:
Dagnabit. It's not working for me. It's starts to work and looks like it is working as it should in the sense the percentage is increasing quickly, but somewhere when it is less than 10% done it stops/crashes.

I've tried fiddling with settings like dropping the resolution to Same as Source and some others, but nothing changes.

(I can still encode normally, but that takes forever.)

I'm thinking it might be my video card. It is not a very powerful card as I didn't feel the need to spend a lot when I got it.

I am welcome to suggestions as to things to change or better video cards to purchase.

(I did not see Intel Quick Sync until I made the change with Hardware that you suggested.)
Note that Intel Quick Sync is ONLY designed to work with Intel graphics cards, so it's not using your NVIDIA card, but the on board Intel video card. That's the reason that "Auto" says unsupported as that would be the NVIDIA card. You may want to try using "Hardware" instead of "Hardware 2" for Encoder option. For my Intel Video card the VRD info shows it as Hardware via 'D3D9' for my card, so perhaps that option will work for you.

Also, I'm not sure if the Intel card is disabled in your BIOS or not (doesn't appear to be to me, but it could be). In my case I'm using a laptop that doesn't have a separate video card, so the Intel Video card is the active one being used on my system. I was quite shocked at what a huge speed up I got using it compared to a software-based encode.

EDIT: If still no luck you may also want to post over in VRD forums or PM Dan203 as I'm sure he would be able to help.

Last edited by moyekj; 01-16-2016 at 01:01 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:26 AM   #13
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Note that Intel Quick Sync is ONLY designed to work with Intel graphics cards, so it's not using your NVIDIA card, but the on board Intel video card. That's the reason that "Auto" says unsupported as that would be the NVIDIA card. You may want to try using "Hardware" instead of "Hardware 2" for Encoder option. For my Intel Video card the VRD info shows it as Hardware via 'D3D9' for my card, so perhaps that option will work for you.

Also, I'm not sure if the Intel card is disabled in your BIOS or not (doesn't appear to be to me, but it could be). In my case I'm using a laptop that doesn't have a separate video card, so the Intel Video card is the active one being used on my system. I was quite shocked at what a huge speed up I got using it compared to a software-based encode.

EDIT: If still no luck you may also want to post over in VRD forums or PM Dan203 as I'm sure he would be able to help.
previously I did try using different hardware options and I'm pretty sure it didn't work.

However, I pulled the graphics card and went back to using the IGPU and that worked. I'm not getting quite the improvement you did, but it's still substantial and it frees up my CPU so I can easily do other work.

I'm thinking processing time was cut by at least a third. It took 34 minutes to process a 109 minute mpeg2 movie to h.264. I will run it without Intel Quick Sync to have an accurate comparison.

Thank you again for all this!!

Old 01-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #14
lew

You can Google. You need to know the name generation of you could. You might have a biosbsetting which you lets youbrun 2 display ports with one monitor.
You might need a third party utility.
Do you have an extra monitor that your not using.
An easy liw cost option .
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FLZ...nitor+emulator
$15

My understanding is the CPU motherboard s took a lot if tweaking to use qsv with a discrete graphics board

Old 01-16-2016, 09:31 AM   #15
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Quote:
I'm thinking processing time was cut by at least a third. It took 34 minutes to process a 109 minute mpeg2 movie to h.264. I will run it without Intel Quick Sync to have an accurate comparison.
So ran it last night with the default profile and it took 96 minutes. So that's about 3 times as long or to put it another way using Intel Quick Sync was about 2/3 thirds faster. However, the biggest benefit is the reduction in CPU usage.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #16
lew

Quote:
So ran it last night with the default profile and it took 96 minutes. So that's about 3 times as long or to put it another way using Intel Quick Sync was about 2/3 thirds faster. However, the biggest benefit is the reduction in CPU usage.
2/3 is less then 1. Saying its 2/3 faster is another way if saying 1/3 slower. Your numbers suggest qs is about 3 times faster.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #17
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
2/3 is less then 1. Saying its 2/3 faster is another way if saying 1/3 slower. Your numbers suggest qs is about 3 times faster.
Errr, umm,.... you're right. I know it made sense to me when I wrote it. So yes, about 300% faster.

How about a third of the time?

Old 01-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #18
aaronwt
HD Addict

I see the Intel Quick sync working when I make it the default in the profile in VideoReDo. It certainly makes a difference in CPU usage. I've not been able to get Quick Sync to work in Archivo though.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote