TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #151
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeijaflorCA View Post
This was Tivo Support's reply to me re: the difference between Standard and HD movies streaming from Netflix. Anyone experiencing the same problem, please feel free to get in touch with Tivo using this S.O. number, and give them the info requested.

"Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I apologize for any inconvenience this distorted audio may have caused and would be happy to address this for you.

This is certainly the first we have heard of this specific issue. In order to find more about this, it would greatly help me if you could provide the following for your setup, and perhaps make me aware of the setups of others who have been encountering this issue:

- Title of a video you are noticing this distortion in
- Your DVR platform and software version (I know that you are using a TiVo HD DVR with software version 11.0h-01-2-652, however, it would help me if you were able to find information on other affected DVRs)
- Type of network connection being used: DSL, Cable, etc.
- Number of "video quality bars" the you saw at the beginning of the video

Also, does this distortion still occur when you use different cables for audio, such as the red and white connectors of composite cables or an optical audio cable? Does this distortion still occur for those using TiVo DVRs with A/V Receivers or additional stereo systems? Knowing as much information on this bug as possible would help us be able to best report it and help you resolve it. Thank you for your time!

100804-008578 is the reference number for this inquiry. Please refer to this number if you choose to contact us again regarding this request. In order to respond to this email, please log into your account. Replies directly to this email will not be received."
If you read through the thread there are several "first times" they have heard of the issue. Some of us have reported it several times. Of course other cables work (I am using component cables as a replacement) but that is not a good permanent solution for me, that just tells me that TiVo will never fix the problem. I think its going on 2.5 - 3 yrs now? It happens on most SD content, no HD content, affects only some brands of TV's and only over an HDMI connection.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #152
massonal

Sill a Chip-monk

I spoke too soon....the Chip-monk is back. Frankly I've given up on TIVO fixing this on my HD TIVO Box and just use my PS3 connected via HDMI to the same TV where everything works great. This is obviously not a problem TIVO is interested in fixing.
massonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #153
spepin

I'm part of the group for the record. I actually have two identical S3 tivos that I bought at the same time from Tivo. Both are connected via HDMI to LCD HTDV's. Tivo #1 is connected to a Sharp Aquos LC52SE94U. Tivo #2 is connected to an HP SLC3760N. I definitely have the issue on the Sharp, but not at all on the HP. At first, I thought it might have been a wireless bandwidth issue, but it's still there on a wired ethernet connection. I was getting ready to do a warranty swap when i came across this thread. I'll be watching for a resolution.
spepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #154
rjspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole369 View Post
Verified and fixed (well worked around) here. Picked up TivoHD, first thing I did while I wait for the cablecards is to get netflix linked. It took a number of connections and reboots until ver 11 was installed, then I linked em up. First shot - chipmunky skippy, audio. Seemed like part of it was ahead and it was rubberbanding. Really odd. Of course I had picked that time to justify the cost to my wife and before testing it too. She rolled her eyes.

Found this thread and routed audio from the RCA's out of the TIVO into 1/8 headphones up to the set, disco- problem is solved.

For reference:

Sharp Aquos LC42d-65U TV. TiVO HD. Audio comes out RCA's from the set into an old Philips 7800 receiver with set volume into bookshelf speakers. Audio controlled using the Sharp TV, so in order for any of it to work I MUST have audio into the TV set. I only had to change inputs to HDMI (6) and select in the Sharp menu to use "PC Audio" with that input, vs input 4 (VGA). Interestingly I will need to adapt for my HTPC, which formerly used input 6 with that same 1/8 plug. I've found an acceptable resolution (interestingly again, this set doesn't allow anything but fairly standard VGA inputs, 1360x768 being the only widescreen format. Ugh. I was formerly using 1920x1080 for this, but I suppose being that I'll be doing a significant more movie watching with the TivoHD that is an acceptable compromise. I have very little 1080p content anyhoo.

So in short, It's fixable (sort of), it happened to me, its not the end of the world. Maybe one day TiVO will notice.

ALso note that for me Dolby Digital is not something I consider critical. My receiver is from 1980 so the TV set would be doing any decoding into 2 channel stereo anyways. I'm in a small apt and thats the way I like it.
I have the same TV and the same issue. I also have a 37" Sharp connected via HDMI to Tivo and optical audio to Techniques Surround Sound Receiver which exhibits no issues whatsoever. I'll be installing a new surround sound system and will be routing the audio via optical as I did with the other setup to see what happens...

TivoStreamBaby for video file streaming

Former Tivo Windows Home Server plug-in user
rjspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #155
BigVBGuy

I just wanted to add my name to the list of affected users as well. In my case, I also have a TiVo HD connected via HDMI directly to a 32" Sharp Aquos LCD. My TiVo S3 that is connected via HDMI to a Pioneer receiver does not have any such problem. I also did not have the problem when connecting the S3 directly to the my Hitachi TV via HDMI.

I called TiVo support about this (before finding this thread), and they directed me to contact Sharp (the maker of my TV). I am still working with Sharp to try to find a solution, but I'm not very hopeful. I'll report back if I come up with any new information.
BigVBGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #156
hybucket

No problems with Netflix streaming til last night....was watching episode 9 from Season 6 of MI-5 and, midway thru, there was a visual glitch and, after that, the audio was a good 5 seconds ahead of the pic. Tried others on my queue and they were fine, so maybe it was a fluke with just that episode.
Any one else experience JUST sync problems, not fast or chipmunk-type sound?
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #157
ohmyjosh

I can't believe that YEARS after the first people were complaining about this issue (an issue making the Netflix option for Tivo really unusable) it is still not fixed. I have the same chipmunk issue and I am also using HDMI cable. I'm fairly sure from reading this and other threads that I could solve the issue by downgrading my connection to Component cables - but that would be inconvenient and a pain in the neck and the Tivo should work as advertised.

I have little faith that this will ever be fixed, but I find that fact quite sad and discouraging.

Just add my name to the list of disgruntled folk.
ohmyjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:17 AM   #158
Playloud

As the OP for this thread, I have given up hope as well. I use my PS3 for Netflix now, which is great, but requires more electricity (since my Tivo is running 24/7 anyway.
Playloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #159
thonl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playloud View Post
As the OP for this thread, I have given up hope as well. I use my PS3 for Netflix now, which is great, but requires more electricity (since my Tivo is running 24/7 anyway.
Not to kick a dead horse, but just signed up for Netflix, and I have the issue as well

I have 2 TivoHD's. The one with the issue is connected to the same typ of 32" Sharp Aquos as the OP. The other is connected to a 61" Samsung DLP. Both are connected HDMI, though the one without the problem is going through a Denon AVR, as well.

Since the one with the issue is in the bedroom, and doesnt really have anything else hooked up to it, I'll probably just switch it to component video/composite audio.
thonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #160
jazmaan

Five years later and not only has the problem not been fixed, it hasn't even been acknowledged by those b@stids. Well I finally caved and hooked up a composite cable instead of the HDMI. The sound is now great. The picture quality is slightly less defined but I can live with that much easier than the sound of chipmunks gargling.
jazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #161
jazmaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkorial View Post
So I need to retract my previous statement. I switched the plasma to component inputs, and the problem was still there. No change at all.
I think you're the only person who's reported still having the issue even after switching to component cables. Did you disable the HDMI?
jazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #162
oneal94

I am still having this problem as well. I did not have it until 2013 and have waited patiently for a solution. This just made my decision on buying a new TiVo very easy. No purchase for me. If TiVo isn't careful, they will be out of business.

I think what concern me most is that the service tech wasn't even aware of the problem. Five years later for some. Is the TiVo management aware or is it not a good ROI to fix the problem? I personally don't know but I was offered a free DVR by Comcast to try out when I called to see if boosting my speed would solve the problem.
oneal94 is offline   Reply With Quote