TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #121
massonal

I believe you could use either Optical or Analog connections with an external stereo system. I've got mine set up to connect the optical audio from my TIVO to my Stereo Receiver optical input. It is definitely a "compatible" solution. I just turn off (turn the volume down) on my normal HDMI input to my TV and turn on/use audio through my external receiver & speakers when I want to watch Netflix movies. It works fine without a lot of hassle -- of course as long as you have an "extra" receiver and speaker system available for your TV.

Still hoping that TIVO/Netflix can resolve the underlying compatibility problem with the HDMI audio -- which seems to occur with only some TV's. This seems like a small problem perhaps, but it is very annoying and certainly inconvenient.

Art Masson
massonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #122
sgip2000

So, I have a TivoHD and an Xbox 360 both with Netflix streaming enabled.

Both connected to a Sharp LC46D65U TV and the audio with the Netflix streaming on the Tivo has the "Chipmunk" sound while the Xbox plays fine.

Both connected with HDMI.

This does NOT appear to be a TV problem.
sgip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:47 AM   #123
szurlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgip2000 View Post
So, I have a TivoHD and an Xbox 360 both with Netflix streaming enabled.

Both connected to a Sharp LC46D65U TV and the audio with the Netflix streaming on the Tivo has the "Chipmunk" sound while the Xbox plays fine.

Both connected with HDMI.

This does NOT appear to be a TV problem.
Except only some brands and models of TVs exhibit this issue. Also, Netflix uses different streams with different encoding for Tivo vs Xbox so an a/b comparison is not possible there.

Last edited by szurlo : 07-11-2009 at 07:04 AM.
szurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #124
sgip2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by szurlo View Post
Except only some brands and models of TVs exhibit this issue. Also, Netflix uses different streams with different encoding for Tivo vs Xbox so an a/b comparison is not possible there.
The Tivo stream also looks inferior. Seems like it would be easier to just use 1 stream for all devices.

Also looks and sounds fine with the Vista Media Center Netflix plug-in.

I have to blame Tivo on this one.
sgip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #125
massonal

Hi all -- so is there any indication that this will ever get addressed by TIVO ?????
Old 08-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #126
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

Is is possible to use HDMI for video and the optical out for audio out of TiVoHD? Right now, I have my video and audio going through the HDMI cable to my TV. Can I eliminate this Netflix sound issue by using the optical audio out instead of the HDMI audio?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #127
massonal

Yes...this is exactly what I am doing...as long as you have a separate audio amplifier to handle the optical audio it works just fine.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #128
massonal

I've just enabled my PS-3 with Netflix. I now have both my TIVO unit and my PS-3 connected to my Sharp AQUOS LC-46D64U via HDMI. Guess what? My TIVO continues with the garbled sound BUT my PS-3 plays both video and audio fine! This appears to further point to an audio problem with Netflix/TIVO...and not to my TV.
Art Masson
Old 11-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #129
sbh2squared

Arrow Not what I expected....

I have the same problem with the 'chipmunk' sound and a slight clicking, most noticeable with music. I guess it's what people have been saying here, about the audio not being synched correctly with the video. I've had my Tivo since July '09, and haven't watched much Netflix - but it IS what I bought it for, and I'm pretty PO'ed that this is a known problem that has not been addressed yet. It's annoying enough that we usually don't finish a movie when the sound is really bad. Are there any solutions coming?

I'm pretty sure it's hooked up with an HDMI cable to a Sharp Aquos TV.

Thanks,
Beth
sbh2squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #130
MANOWARŠ
um, yeah.

I've had this problem with my TiVoHD and Netflix ever since they came out with it. Multiple calls have resulted in nothing. I gave up.
MANOWARŠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:32 AM   #131
balkanboy

If they have been non-responsive about this problem and if there's sufficient number of people affected, a class-action lawsuit would be in order to get them to respond. Any attorneys reading this Forum and own a TiVo?
balkanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #132
emkorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Fedorczyk View Post
anyone noticed that the HD movies seem to have the audio issue with the soundtrack being normal but the dialogue track being almost muted? "Let the right one in" and "Hit and Run" both seem to have the same issue even after a restart. Standard Def movies are fine.
This is the problem I am having. Brand new Tivo HD hooked uo via HDMI to a 50" Panasonic plasma. For HD movies, soundtrack normal, but the dialog is much quieter. SD movies sound fine. Wired ethernet conneciton, max bars.
emkorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #133
emkorial

I can confirm that switching to component does fix the problem. I have two Tivo's, one hooked up via component, one via HDMI, I watched the same movie over netflix on both, the HDMI connected one has a big difference in volume between the background music and the dialog tracks, the component connected one sounds perfect.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:05 AM   #134
zeromeg

Clearly after over a year Tivo isn't going to fix this!

It's clear it's not getting fixed unless we take action. Before going the class action path, perhaps we create a petition and everyone that has posted here or sees this posting would sign and then we submit that to Tivo.

If it takes using an attorney and providing the petition with the threat of a class action suit so be it.

We did pay a good amount of money for our Tivo boxes to be able to do NetFlix AND don't forget, we pay NetFlix a monthly fee.

Perhaps another route would be to file a complaint with NetFlix everytime we watch something and have issues with the audio...

They can push on Tivo for it's members!
zeromeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #135
zeromeg

Petition created about this issue

Sign this petition and let Tivo and Netflix know of the unresolved issue!

thepetitionsite.com/1/tivonetflix---resolution-of-hdmi-audio-issue
zeromeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:55 AM   #136
szurlo

I got an LG BD-390 BluRay player with NetFlix streaming for Christmas. Not only does the NetFlix audio work fine over HDMI from the BD-390, unlike my Tivo, the entire NetFlix UI is MUCH better (IMO) than the Tivo's. I'll let my Tivo just do the one thing Tivo has always been good at. Recording TV. For some reason that seems to be the only thing they can really nail down.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:04 AM   #137
wesmjc

Thank you for this thread. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I too have a Samsung plasma connected with HDMI, and have have the same problem streaming Netflix as above from the beginning. At least I know now how to bypass the problem. It would be great if everyone with this problem could give a shout out to TiVo and/or Netflix. Perhaps if they hear from enough of us, they may start to take this problem more seriously.
wesmjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #138
szurlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmjc View Post
Thank you for this thread. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I too have a Samsung plasma connected with HDMI, and have have the same problem streaming Netflix as above from the beginning. At least I know now how to bypass the problem. It would be great if everyone with this problem could give a shout out to TiVo and/or Netflix. Perhaps if they hear from enough of us, they may start to take this problem more seriously.
The problem is this: Take all the Tivo owners out there. Now, from that, take the subset that subscribes to NetFlix. From that take the subset that uses the streaming feature. From that, take the subset that has their Tivo connected via HDMI, from that, take the subset that owns one of the small number of brands of TV that has this issue. From that, take the subset that has one of the specific models that has this issue. From that, take the subset that frequents this forum. I'd be willing to be that this group of owners would be a very small fraction of one percent of their subs. There is a reason this thread is over a year old and only has 138 posts, representing probably less than 100 unique Tivo owners. Unfortunately, I don't think this issue is pervasive enough or serious enough to put it anywhere near the top of Tivo's list of things to devote expensive development resources to.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #139
bobdole369

Verified and fixed (well worked around) here. Picked up TivoHD, first thing I did while I wait for the cablecards is to get netflix linked. It took a number of connections and reboots until ver 11 was installed, then I linked em up. First shot - chipmunky skippy, audio. Seemed like part of it was ahead and it was rubberbanding. Really odd. Of course I had picked that time to justify the cost to my wife and before testing it too. She rolled her eyes.

Found this thread and routed audio from the RCA's out of the TIVO into 1/8 headphones up to the set, disco- problem is solved.

For reference:

Sharp Aquos LC42d-65U TV. TiVO HD. Audio comes out RCA's from the set into an old Philips 7800 receiver with set volume into bookshelf speakers. Audio controlled using the Sharp TV, so in order for any of it to work I MUST have audio into the TV set. I only had to change inputs to HDMI (6) and select in the Sharp menu to use "PC Audio" with that input, vs input 4 (VGA). Interestingly I will need to adapt for my HTPC, which formerly used input 6 with that same 1/8 plug. I've found an acceptable resolution (interestingly again, this set doesn't allow anything but fairly standard VGA inputs, 1360x768 being the only widescreen format. Ugh. I was formerly using 1920x1080 for this, but I suppose being that I'll be doing a significant more movie watching with the TivoHD that is an acceptable compromise. I have very little 1080p content anyhoo.

So in short, It's fixable (sort of), it happened to me, its not the end of the world. Maybe one day TiVO will notice.

ALso note that for me Dolby Digital is not something I consider critical. My receiver is from 1980 so the TV set would be doing any decoding into 2 channel stereo anyways. I'm in a small apt and thats the way I like it.
bobdole369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #140
Bevmo

I just got my first Tivo (HD XL) and first widescreen TV (Panasonic s1 32inch LCD) for my living room from Amazon. After ordering I was worried about this and similar threads as maybe a third of what I want to watch is Netflix, but I'm happy to report no problems, video and sound quality over HDMI is good (via wireless G, Linksys router, ATT DSL 0.65Mbps up 5.15Mbps down according to speedtest.net).

Tivo + Netflix + no cable = happy camper

Last edited by Bevmo : 01-01-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Bevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:34 PM   #141
hengst2404

Well, I watched an episode of the Shield season 7 and also had the chipmunk sound. However, when I switched to an episode of the new season of Heroes in HD, the audio was normal. I have my tivo connected, through a switch, via hdmi.
hengst2404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #142
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevmo View Post
I just got my first Tivo (HD XL) and first widescreen TV (Panasonic s1 32inch LCD) for my living room from Amazon. After ordering I was worried about this and similar thread as maybe a third of what I want to watch is Netflix, but I'm happy to report no problems, video and sounds quality over HDMI is good (via wireless G, Linksys router, ATT DSL 0.65Mbps up 5.15Mbps down according to speedtest.net).

Tivo + Netflix + no cable = happy camper
Thanks for posting this. I've been holding off trying Netflix because I'm using Wifi and I heard there were so many problems.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #143
emkorial

So I need to retract my previous statement. I switched the plasma to component inputs, and the problem was still there. No change at all.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:35 AM   #144
Trauma_Hound

Seeing this with a Vizio TV. I can't believe it hasn't been fixed.
Trauma_Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:10 AM   #145
gryphonav

I don't know if this qualifies as a solution, but here's some info: I have a Series 3 HD Tivo ($800 version) Pioneer Plasma, and am routing the HDMI to its media box, and the audio to a Pioneer Elite receiver via an optical cable. Previously, I had component video being routed through the receiver and wasn't using HDMI at all. This effectively eliminates HDMI as a culprit.

I get the chipmunk sound when watching downloaded content (cnet) and apart from the problem resolving itself without my intervention (rare), I find it necessary to pull the power cord from the wall/Tivo to perform a hard reset. This ALWAYS works. However, I must confess that I've never had that particular problem with Netflix content. My problem with Netflix content has to do with freezing up and locking me out. I suspected my 500GB external expansion drive, but it sounds more ominous, now. Speaking in person to a Tivo rep (I'm an A/V integrator) they claim to have never heard of this problem. I'll escalate this through my channels and see if I can't get a better answer for everyone.
gryphonav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:10 AM   #146
gryphonav

I don't know if this qualifies as a solution, but here's some info: I have a Series 3 HD Tivo ($800 version) Pioneer Plasma, and am routing the HDMI to its media box, and the audio to a Pioneer Elite receiver via an optical cable. Previously, I had component video being routed through the receiver and wasn't using HDMI at all. This effectively eliminates HDMI as a culprit.

I get the chipmunk sound when watching downloaded content (cnet) and apart from the problem resolving itself without my intervention (rare), I find it necessary to pull the power cord from the wall/Tivo to perform a hard reset. This ALWAYS works. However, I must confess that I've never had that particular problem with Netflix content. My problem with Netflix content has to do with freezing up and locking me out. I suspected my 500GB external expansion drive, but it sounds more ominous, now. Speaking in person to a Tivo rep (I'm an A/V integrator) they claim to have never heard of this problem. I'll escalate this through my channels and see if I can't get a better answer for everyone.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:13 AM   #147
gryphonav

I don't know if this qualifies as a solution, but here's some info: I have a Series 3 HD Tivo ($800 version) Pioneer Plasma, and am routing the HDMI to its media box, and the audio to a Pioneer Elite receiver via an optical cable. Previously, I had component video being routed through the receiver and wasn't using HDMI at all. This effectively eliminates HDMI as a culprit, but does not exclude digital optical. Unsure if analog audio is unaffected.

I get the chipmunk sound when watching downloaded content (cnet) and apart from the problem resolving itself without my intervention (rare), I find it necessary to pull the power cord from the wall/Tivo to perform a hard reset. This ALWAYS works. However, I must confess that I've never had that particular problem with Netflix content. My problem with Netflix content has to do with freezing up and locking me out for an extended period of time (I usually give up). I suspected my 500GB external expansion drive, but it sounds more ominous, now. Speaking in person to a Tivo rep (I'm an A/V integrator) they claim to have never heard of this problem. I'll escalate this through my channels and see if I can't get a better answer for everyone.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #148
massonal

Smile HDMI Audio Problem Solved????

Having experienced the chipmunk sound forever, when I tried streaming video today, the problem seems to have gone away. Not sure if this was solved with a recent update or not....anyone got any clues? I have a Sharp AQUOS LC-46D64U connected via HDMI.

Art Masson
St. Charles, IL
Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 AM   #149
BeijaflorCA

Smile We figured it out!

Hello. After speaking to a Netflix rep and Googling this website (to confirm I wasn't only one with the "chipmunk" issue), I think we've figured out the problem: When Tivo tries to stream a standard-quality movie from Netflix to an HDTV, there is sound distortion over the HDMI cable. Some movies would stream without issue and, going over my own Queue, we realized that those have been the ones "available in HD". The ones not available in HD, however, are being distorted.

If anyone knows of a way to change the settings on an HDTV to allow for proper streaming of "standard definition" over HDMI -- or whether it's not possible at all -- please let me know.

I recommend that all Tivo users experiencing this problem try that "fix" -- stream anything marked as "Available in HD", and see if the "chipmunk issue" goes away. Then call or email Tivo and Netflix to demand either a fix or a warning.

Relieved It's Not Just Me,

BeijaFlor
BeijaflorCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #150
BeijaflorCA

Reply from Tivo

This was Tivo Support's reply to me re: the difference between Standard and HD movies streaming from Netflix. Anyone experiencing the same problem, please feel free to get in touch with Tivo using this S.O. number, and give them the info requested.

"Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I apologize for any inconvenience this distorted audio may have caused and would be happy to address this for you.

This is certainly the first we have heard of this specific issue. In order to find more about this, it would greatly help me if you could provide the following for your setup, and perhaps make me aware of the setups of others who have been encountering this issue:

- Title of a video you are noticing this distortion in
- Your DVR platform and software version (I know that you are using a TiVo HD DVR with software version 11.0h-01-2-652, however, it would help me if you were able to find information on other affected DVRs)
- Type of network connection being used: DSL, Cable, etc.
- Number of "video quality bars" the you saw at the beginning of the video

Also, does this distortion still occur when you use different cables for audio, such as the red and white connectors of composite cables or an optical audio cable? Does this distortion still occur for those using TiVo DVRs with A/V Receivers or additional stereo systems? Knowing as much information on this bug as possible would help us be able to best report it and help you resolve it. Thank you for your time!

100804-008578 is the reference number for this inquiry. Please refer to this number if you choose to contact us again regarding this request. In order to respond to this email, please log into your account. Replies directly to this email will not be received."
BeijaflorCA is offline   Reply With Quote