TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2009, 04:38 AM   #91
dvdlrsn

I have the vibrating chipmunks problem with one of my TiVo HDs but not the other.

#1 TiVo HD connected to Sharp Aquos LC46D64U with HDMI has chipmunks

#2 TiVo HD connected to Sharp Aquos LC37D62U with HDMI DOES NOT

It is strange the slightly older LC37D62U doesn't have the problem. I am going to try a newer firmware version on my LC46D64U to see if that does anything.

Last edited by dvdlrsn : 03-18-2009 at 05:13 AM.
dvdlrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 AM   #92
szurlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdlrsn View Post
I have the vibrating chipmunks problem with one of my TiVo HDs but not the other.

#1 TiVo HD connected to Sharp Aquos LC46D64U with HDMI has chipmunks

#2 TiVo HD connected to Sharp Aquos LC37D62U with HDMI DOES NOT

It is strange the slightly older LC37D62U doesn't have the problem. I am going to try a newer firmware version on my LC46D64U to see if that does anything.
That is interesting. Will be interested to hear what your resutls are.
Unfortunately, upgrading the FW is not an option on my cheap-o Walmart special Sanyo. Looks like I'm either going to have to live with this issue or buy a new TV.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #93
dvdlrsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by szurlo View Post
That is interesting. Will be interested to hear what your resutls are.
Unfortunately, upgrading the FW is not an option on my cheap-o Walmart special Sanyo. Looks like I'm either going to have to live with this issue or buy a new TV.
No go with the firmware upgrade to the Sharp Aquos LC46D64U. The TV already has a newer version than what is available on the Sharp website.
dvdlrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:37 PM   #94
szurlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdlrsn View Post
No go with the firmware upgrade to the Sharp Aquos LC46D64U. The TV already has a newer version than what is available on the Sharp website.
Well, that's a bummer. I sure wish Tivo would at least acknowledge this.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #95
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

I spoke with TiVo and Netflix at some length today, they seemed very interested in the problem but indicated they had not received many reports.

Although I suggested it would not help they even made changes for me to test such as changing packet size. Personally I believe this is a software or codec issue. We also went through every possible combination of PCM, Dolby, Netflix streaming, YouTube streaming, HDMI, Analog, optical, etc.

End result was only HDMI & Netflix either Dolby or PCM.

If you are still having this problem you should call in and add to the case so they have a good sample of conditions and can give the trouble the priority level it deserves and escalate to the appropriate engineers.
MighTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:30 AM   #96
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

As best as I can tell, my HDMI audio problem has been resolved.

I had been playing Netflix audio through a optical connection to a small receiver and a couple bookshelf speakers just to bypass the HDMI audio problem when streaming.

As I was testing the new folder I was too lazy to switch on the receiver and I noticed the audio seems to have been fixed as it played through the HDMI on my TV.

Anyone else?

Did something else change when they added the Netflix folder icon in now playing?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #97
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MighTiVo View Post
As best as I can tell, my HDMI audio problem has been resolved.

I had been playing Netflix audio through a optical connection to a small receiver and a couple bookshelf speakers just to bypass the HDMI audio problem when streaming.

As I was testing the new folder I was too lazy to switch on the receiver and I noticed the audio seems to have been fixed as it played through the HDMI on my TV.

Anyone else?

Did something else change when they added the Netflix folder icon in now playing?
They updated the netflix program version from 1.0.0001 to 1.0.0005 so it is definately possible. Next week I will have to hook up my HDMI connection again to test my setup.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #98
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
They updated the netflix program version from 1.0.0001 to 1.0.0005 so it is definately possible. Next week I will have to hook up my HDMI connection again to test my setup.
Interesting, where did you see that?
Old 04-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #99
Iluvatar

Quote:
Interesting, where did you see that?
If you go into the Video on Demand menu and select netflix one of the options is to view your account info. This also shows the app version.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:40 AM   #100
massonal

Mine is a Sharp AQUOS LC-46D64U also.
massonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:16 AM   #101
blave

Hi, this is my first post.

I have not read every page of this thread, but joined the forum to add my voice to the fray about streaming Netflix audio issues. We just got done watching U-571 with our new (refurb'd) Series 3 through a 46" Aquos, and had the warbling (which is especially apparent when music plays - it's easier to hear with pitched content).

However, just now I played brief bits of two other Netflix items in our queue, and it only did the warbling with one of them - which was an older movie. The other was an episode from Heroes season 3... I am wondering if whatever is happening with Netflix streams is only with older content whose audio has some different characteristic than newer stuff.

Switching to the optical audio out of the Series 3 makes this go away completely, so yet again HDMI seems to be the culprit.

To my ear it sounds like a very slight sampling frequency mismatch between source and destination, or maybe an audio clocking sync problem.

I'm going to call TiVo tomorrow to log yet another case about this.

Dave B.
blave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #102
JC Fedorczyk

anyone noticed that the HD movies seem to have the audio issue with the soundtrack being normal but the dialogue track being almost muted? "Let the right one in" and "Hit and Run" both seem to have the same issue even after a restart. Standard Def movies are fine.
JC Fedorczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #103
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

It's Back!

After restart to 11c the audio problem is back ARGH!

Conferenced with TiVo and Netflix for quite some time today about the problem.
After getting up the necessary tech support levels past instructions to restart the box, swap HDMI cables, etc. the Netflix tech understood and acknowledged the problem was in their code and said they are actively working on it.

However the Netflix tech did say that it shouldn't be in all programs.
I have seen it either in all or in none so I am not 100% confident we are considering the same issue.

Still I hope they can resolve the problem. Streaming Netflix was fantastic last week!

Last edited by MighTiVo : 04-16-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #104
Playloud

Quote:
After restart to 11c the audio problem is back ARGH!

Conferenced with TiVo and Netflix for quite some time today about the problem.
After getting up the necessary tech support levels past instructions to restart the box, swap HDMI cables, etc. the Netflix tech understood and acknowledged the problem was in their code and said they are actively working on it.

I have seen it either in all or in none so I am not 100% confident we are considering the same issue.

Still I hope they can resolve the problem. Streaming Netflix was fantastic last week!
When I was first testing this, some episodes of Heroes were perfect, while some were chipmunk, so what he says seems to be true.

The part about "actively working on it" is the best news I have heard.
Playloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #105
Iluvatar

This problem is most definately NOT fixed with the new 11.0c.

I reconnected my HDMI just to test. Viewed Macgyver S1 Pilot and Star Trek TOS Pilot.

HD programs still do not seem to be affected for me. Only SD.

I hope what Netflix says is true and look forward to using HDMI fulltime again soon
Old 04-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #106
szurlo

Quote:
Interesting. Ive had it on everything I've tried, although that has not been a huge number. I'll have to do some experimenting....
Old 04-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #107
Tommy R

Well, this problem stinks, but it's nice to know that at least I'm not alone. I'll call Netflix and TiVo tomorrow to log my concerns, as well. Does anyone have any more updated info. from TiVo/Netflix regarding how they are progressing with the solution?
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #108
bluebledthesea

Just wanted to add that I'm having audio sync issues with Netflix on my Tivo HD, HDMI to a Samsung A650. It's about a second off. Looks like I will try an optical cable to my receiver and see if that helps.
bluebledthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #109
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebledthesea View Post
Just wanted to add that I'm having audio sync issues with Netflix on my Tivo HD, HDMI to a Samsung A650. It's about a second off. Looks like I will try an optical cable to my receiver and see if that helps.
It may or it may not. This thread is not about sync issues so the workaround discussed may not work.

Your issue may be a network or Netflix encoding issue.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #110
bluebledthesea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
It may or it may not. This thread is not about sync issues so the workaround discussed may not work.

Your issue may be a network or Netflix encoding issue.
Ah, thanks. I was hopping through a couple threads after I searched for "netflix sync" and may have gotten mixed up.
bluebledthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #111
Trunks4191

Hey guys,
I have been watching this issue since the day i used the netflix/tivo integration. I am also suffering from the chimpmunk issue as well.
I was on the phone with Tivo about this issue and this tech doesnt seem to know anything about this issue. He has given me a few things to try but it doesnt seem like it will help. (such as rebooting the tivo and switching the ends of the hdmi cable.) I'm not even gonna bother with netflix yet.

So it looks like i might have to make a weekend project of this.
Here are some factors i am trying to eliminate in my quest to fix this issue.

1. 1. whether it is a wireless issue or an ethernet issue. If it is a wireless issue i will try changing wireless channels and frequencys. I am currently using the Tivo wireless adapter going through a Linksys wirless router on a G network.
  2. 2. Is there a problem with a audio codec processing. Is it coming through the Tivo from Netflix as lossless? Is there some kind of audio compression being done on the tivo end. If so this audio compressor may need to be fixed via a bug patch by tivo of course.
  3. 3. checking all cables and using optical audio cables.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Trunks4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #112
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks4191 View Post
Hey guys, [*]2. Is there a problem with a audio codec processing. Is it coming through the Tivo from Netflix as lossless? Is there some kind of audio compression being done on the tivo end. If so this audio compressor may need to be fixed via a bug patch by tivo of course.
I am 99.99% sure the issue is a mismatch or handshake problem selecting the appropriate codec.

And I am sure it was fixed momentarilly, however I have given up...

The video quality is slightly better on my TiVo than it is on my Xbox with streaming Netflix but the sound is perfect on the TiVo (both hooked up and configured the same).

So for now I am using the Xbox. Although this means I have to keep up a Live Gold subscription...ugh.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #113
Caesarv

It has been several months since I gave up using my TiVo HD for Netflix. The chipmunk/scratchy sound was terrible. Fortunately, I have a Samsung Blu-Ray player that also does Netflix and that has always been fine. I am relatively sure this is a TiVo issue, but it seems strange this has not been fixed yet.
FYI, I am using a Sharp 52SE94U via HDMI. The Blu-Ray also connects via HDMI. Both are fed via LAN Cable; no wireless.
Caesarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #114
BrandonSi

Not sure if anyone has had this problem, but with out HD TiVO when we stream from netflix, if Netflix streams a movie in "HD" we get no audio. I couldn't fix this from TiVo or Netflix, even rebooting the router and TiVo didn't help.

Ultimately I had to set up a few downloads on my PC in the background to use half of my bandwidth, and start the movie over again. When Netflix detected the bandwidth available had dropped, it dropped the quality from HD to SD (less bars) and the audio came back with no problem. This same thing has also been reported on the Roku forums, so they must be doing something strange with the audio encoding for "HD" streaming.

Just for reference, the TiVo is running into my receiver (Denon 1908) via component video and composite audio (red/white), and then it's going from the receiver directly to the TV via the same type of cables. I have no speakers other than the TV speakers.

I don't know much about AV stuff, so my first though was they were streaming 5.1 audio and my setup couldn't handle it, but I don't know. Maybe it's their audio encoding for HD as well.

Hope that helps, it's a crap work around, but it does work.
BrandonSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:44 PM   #115
Trunks4191

Let me say that I got sidetracked and never got around to fixing this issue. I have a roku box and stopped using the TivoHD/netflix until today. Today it looks like the issue has been fixed. The only thing I think I did between now and my last post (5/20) was that I moved my TV and AV a few feet away from the original location, but I remember unplugging and replugging in the Tivo and the wirless adapter again. (Cold boot) So far I am watching some movies and they seem to be better. Maybe the phone tech from tivo relayed the issues that we were having to his Tivo engineers. (which i thought was total BS/tech speak from him to get me off the phone. )I will keep you posted.
Trunks4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #116
MDGSR59

Chipmonks To

I also have chipmunks.
I am trying the free trial that is offered and decided to check out the streaming video. Well the video quality was great but the audio was horrible. Those chipmunks made watching streaming video intolerable.
I am hard wired to my tivo HD unit and connected to a Sharp AQUOS LC-46D65U via an HDMI cable. I contacted netflix and tivo about the issue and both parties acted as though this was the first time they had heard about it. Both tivo and netflix told me to contact the other company because they could see no reason on there end for the problem. Well installed a new HDMI cable but the problem was still on the streaming video content and only the streaming video content. I do not have this problem with any other audio.
That when I decided to check this forum out. And to my surprise the problem has been an ongoing one from the start. This really makes you feel betrayed. When people pay this kind of money for service and don't recieve it then on top of that everyone plays dumb.This is just not acceptable. I guess the netflix subsription will be cancelled along with my tivo one.
MDGSR59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #117
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDGSR59 View Post
I contacted netflix and tivo about the issue and both parties acted as though this was the first time they had heard about it. Both tivo and netflix told me to contact the other company because they could see no reason on there end for the problem. Well installed a new HDMI cable but the problem was still on the streaming video content and only the streaming video content. I do not have this problem with any other audio.
Which goes to show that everyone that has this problem must call and report it, if they get enough reports they will have to look into it.
Don't assume they have heard about it already and are doing what they can!

(Unless someone here is on a beta and can assure us otherwise...)
Old 06-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #118
massonal

TIVO and Chipmonks

Hi all,

I have the audio problem with my Sharp LCD using the HDMI connection. I've just installed an optical cable from my TIVO to my audio receiver...and I have GREAT audio that way. Something is definately wrong with Neflix streaming audio over HDMI.

Art Masson
St. Charles, IL
massonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #119
szurlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by massonal View Post
Hi all,

I have the audio problem with my Sharp LCD using the HDMI connection. I've just installed an optical cable from my TIVO to my audio receiver...and I have GREAT audio that way. Something is definately wrong with Neflix streaming audio over HDMI.

Art Masson
St. Charles, IL
Unfortunately, the qualifier here is "on certain brands of televisions". That makes the correct recipient of blame a little harder to determine. It has been suggested that the real issue here may be that the HDMI implementation on these TVs has some minor issue that is only being exposed in the specific environment presented by Tivo/Netflix. We can hope though, that Tivo can, and will, come up with a fix from their end even if they are not the source of the problem.

Last edited by szurlo : 06-21-2009 at 03:45 PM.
szurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #120
jdrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by massonal View Post
Hi all,

Art Masson
St. Charles, IL
This speaks directly to my question. I have the same problem as others with a Samsung LNS3251D. So we know the problem is the HDMI connection, and we don't know why. Whaddya gonna.

My question is, can I simply leave the HDMI connection as is, and connect the digital audio with an optical cable as Art describes? I'm unclear as to what would take 'precedence', the HDMI connection or the digital audio connection. Can they co-exist with the HDMI carrying video, and the optical carrying audio? Or do I have to stop using the HDMI cable altogether?

Thanks,

Joel

[edit: after looking through the rest of the thread it looks like the proposed 'solution' is to use component cables and analog audio. Is that the only combination that works? Can I use a) HDMI->DVI/component + optical audio, or is analog audio the only solution that has worked?]
-j

Last edited by jdrans : 06-28-2009 at 01:52 PM.
jdrans is offline   Reply With Quote