TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #61
CheezWiz
ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

I just tested my new TivoHD last night. Had it plugged directly into my Hitachi via HDMI and audio is still flawless with NetFlix. So it is not a universal bug. I also direct connected my S3 while I was reworking the entertainment center. Again, flawless audio with NetFlix on HDMI.
Tivo HD @ 750GB Green Drive
Tivo Series 2 @ 200GB
pyTivo Windows Home Server @ 3TB
Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI
Hitachi Ultravision Plasma
CheezWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #62
Scaevola

I have a samsung 32 inch bought a year ago last december.
On netflix.. the standard hdmi issues but when run though optical ..I get about a 2 second audio gap.

Some systems allow the user to input delay audio/video in-cases of audio lag.. One obvious case I can think of ...rockband ..Has anyone tried to adjust this on your hardware directly?(bad example ...rockband)...Trying to think of another.... XBMC does iirc.

edit:
tivo: Tivo HD (bought around 12/15/08 ...so pretty dam new)
wired gigbyte ethernet
HDMI only for audio/video

Last edited by Scaevola : 01-09-2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: more specificas
Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #63
korsonian

Experiencing it on my year old Westinghouse 47 inch...
Makes watching pretty much all netflix movies impossible.
TivoHD bought 12/22/08

Last edited by korsonian : 01-09-2009 at 03:53 PM.
korsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #64
jtgamble

I've have the issue using a Tivo-HD XL, HDMI, and westinghouse 47". The sound is very crackly with netflix, some quick dropouts of sound, etc. Makes it almost impossible to watch. I'm getting very good connection - almost full bars (usually 1 off full). Any way to fix it?
jtgamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #65
kmsga

Changing to component fixed Netflix sound problems

As everyone else has discovered, switching from HDMI to component & analog audio fixed the audio issues.

My configuration is:
TivoHD
Samsung LN-S3251D
kmsga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:15 AM   #66
sirgolf82

Same thing here:

TivoHD
AOC Envision L32W661

Analog audio works great, will try optical audio tomorrow.
sirgolf82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #67
tbostrom

Same issues here... High pitched audio ever so slightly, but enough for annoyance.
Very few Netflix streaming movies work without the high pitched audio.

HDMI to Sharp Aquos LC52SB55U

Haven't had a chance to test on something other than HDMI.
tbostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #68
szurlo

So, based on this thread, it now appears that the HDMI audio issue effects at the very least some models of Sharp, Samsung, Sanyo, Westinghouse and AOC TVs. The list is probably longer. This is just what we can ascertain from this particular forums active members. My guess would be that Tivo support has received more than a few calls about this.
Even if this is a firmware issue on these TVs, I can't imagine that Tivo would want to simply leave it at "your TV is not compatible" and would instead try to come up with some kind of software workaround to address this, assuming that's possible, of course.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #69
taraf

I have 2 Tivo HD's, 1 works fine with Netflix and 1 has the exact issues you are all describing.

Both are HDMI connected, but the one not working is a Sharp Aquos. I can't believe that Tivo hasn't figured out a fix for this yet!
taraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #70
forthekill

It would be nice to know from TiVo whether this issue is even being addressed or if they are only worried about the nasty freeze up issue that is going on, which of course is a much bigger problem for them.

I just wish I could watch via my HDMI instead of having to unplug my Wii and switch inputs everytime I feel like watching a Netflix stream.
forthekill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:49 PM   #71
thomaslue

I called Netflix and they said they haven't heard of any problems playing Netflix streams on TIVOs.
thomaslue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #72
thomaslue

I cannot play a Netflix movie without getting choppy playback and interruptions within the first 5 minutes.
thomaslue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #73
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsga View Post
As everyone else has discovered, switching from HDMI to component & analog audio fixed the audio issues.
That is not a fix, that's a workaround.

I have been seeing/hearing this issue ever since Netflix showed up on my TiVoHD. It is mostly worthless to me until someone fixes the issue. This partnership will never make it mainstream until they work the kinks out. It's too bad because in theory, I LOVE this partnership.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #74
michux1
michux1

Same problem here. Already called Netflix and let them know. Also told them about this website/thread. I have Sharp Aquos with HDMI. Oddly enough, my LG BD-300 Netflix works great through the Aquos with HDMI.....so it cannot be an Aquos issue and is definately a Tivo issue.
michux1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #75
FAR

I have the same sound issue which I resolved by using audio cables and by-passing the HDMI Audio.

My setup:
Sharp Aquos LC65D64U
TiVo HD XL DVR
FAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #76
jdrans

Quote:

My configuration is:
TivoHD
Samsung LN-S3251D
I have the same setup. Does this mean not using HDMI at all? I'm a little confused about exactly what I need to change.
jdrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #77
Scottlu

Same problem here

- TiVo hd xl
- Sharp Acquos 52"
- HDMI

When watching netflix, the audio has a constant cyclic stutter. Thank goodness for this thread. I will switch to component and RCA audio and see what happens.

If anyone hears back from TiVo on when this'll be fixed, please post to this thread.
Scottlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #78
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrans View Post
I have the same setup. Does this mean not using HDMI at all? I'm a little confused about exactly what I need to change.
Yes, one known workaround is to remove your HDMI connection and use the component video connections and your red/white RCA audio connectors. It sucks but until this is fixed there isnt much of a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottlu View Post
- TiVo hd xl
- Sharp Acquos 52"
- HDMI

When watching netflix, the audio has a constant cyclic stutter. Thank goodness for this thread. I will switch to component and RCA audio and see what happens.

If anyone hears back from TiVo on when this'll be fixed, please post to this thread.
I personally assume that no fix is in close sight as TiVo has not even acknowledged the problem.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #79
jeastbur

I'm having similar audio problems when streaming Netflix on my TivoHD using HDMI. There is a constant stuttering every second.
There is no problem at all when I run the audio through my receiver which uses an optical connection.

- TiVo HD
- Sharp Aquos 37" LC37D64U
- HDMI

Probably won't do any good, but I'll submit a trouble ticket with TiVo.

Last edited by jeastbur : 02-26-2009 at 08:36 PM.
jeastbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #80
monroe

Quote:

My configuration is:
TivoHD
Samsung LN-S3251D
NOPE! Sorry, this is simply not true. Or else I don't belong to the 'everyone else' group.

My setup doesn't even currently utilize HDMI. I have SVIDEO and RCA left and right audio connections to a CRT display. Quality is always either all bars or all but one. The show will start out fine, and within 10 minutes I'll have a 2 second audio lag where the audio and video are out of sync. From that point on, pausing or skipping back does NOT fix.

Chris
monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #81
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe View Post
NOPE! Sorry, this is simply not true. Or else I don't belong to the 'everyone else' group.

My setup doesn't even currently utilize HDMI. I have SVIDEO and RCA left and right audio connections to a CRT display. Quality is always either all bars or all but one. The show will start out fine, and within 10 minutes I'll have a 2 second audio lag where the audio and video are out of sync. From that point on, pausing or skipping back does NOT fix.

Chris
That is not the issue that this thread is discussing. This is about altered-pitch/stuttering sounds and voices within a Netflix video which seems to carry over to the TiVo menus after exiting the app.

I believe the out of sync sound is being discussed in another thread under the Series 3 forum.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #82
szurlo

Has anyone in this thread that has the stuttering/pitch issue over HDMI gotten the new software version yet? Did it fix it? My TivoHD has not gotten it yet so I cant test it.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #83
szurlo

Well, I now have 11.0b-01-2-652.
Netflix audio over HDMI still sounds like vibrating chipmunks
Old 02-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #84
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by szurlo View Post
Has anyone in this thread that has the stuttering/pitch issue over HDMI gotten the new software version yet? Did it fix it? My TivoHD has not gotten it yet so I cant test it.
Not fixed in the new version and TiVo has not even acknowledged this problem as they have the other ones.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #85
StrynBean

I came here to see if there was a fix to the problem I was having with picture and sound watching Netflix through my Tivo.

We watched a movie a few weeks ago (before I got my HDMI cables) and had no problem. Now that I have HDMI cables, we have both picture and sound problems. I guess if I want to watch Netflix I will need to switch back to component cables when we want to watch Netflix.

I have a HP LCD
Old 03-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #86
szurlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrynBean View Post
I came here to see if there was a fix to the problem I was having with picture and sound watching Netflix through my Tivo.

We watched a movie a few weeks ago (before I got my HDMI cables) and had no problem. Now that I have HDMI cables, we have both picture and sound problems. I guess if I want to watch Netflix I will need to switch back to component cables when we want to watch Netflix.

I have a HP LCD
My "solution" was to hook both component and HDMI from the Tivo to the TV. Use the HDMI for everything except netflix. Unfortunately I don't think Tivo has even acknowledged this issue, so I don't think a fix will be forthcoming from them. Might be time for a new TV (Just not a Sharp, Samsung, Sanyo, Westinghouse, AOC or now apparently HP). Maybe new TVs will have a "TNHC" (Tivo Netflix HDMI Compatible) seal on them

Last edited by szurlo : 03-06-2009 at 08:51 PM.
szurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #87
jasonpalmer

Audio Drop Out but with Component Cables

Have Tivo Series 3 s/w: 11.0b-01-2-652. Audio drops out periodically on recordings and sometimes video freezes but sound continues.

Anyone else?

Thank you,

Jason.
jasonpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #88
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

Here is what I plan to do. I am going to take some time over the next week or so and watch or start to watching several movies using the Netflix application. I am going to watch enough of the movie so that my account sees that I "watched" that movie. From there I am going to rate the quality of my experience the lowest possible score. If we ALL do that over an over and over again their system should get the message that something is wrong with the playback of their video on TiVo.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #89
swwesq

Add me to the list of Tivo/Netflix users with sound that comes out like chipmunks. Regular tivo sounds great, amazon on demand great, everthing good except netflix.

I have a 20mbs fios line using a Sharp 60" LCD TV with HDMI direct to TV.

Come on Tivo and Netflix, get on the ball and fix this!!!!!
swwesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #90
Scaevola

he only suggestion was to mute hdmi and run everything through optical.

Such a pita! If they would fix this one issue I wouldn't care(along w/ the hdmi auido lag). Sigh....

Last edited by Scaevola : 03-16-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote