TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2008, 12:10 AM   #31
rrosebr

My point is...HDMI has nothing to do with it because I use optical, as it provides better sound (proven) and the audio still skips...........
rrosebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:44 AM   #32
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrosebr View Post
My point is...HDMI has nothing to do with it because I use optical, as it provides better sound (proven) and the audio still skips...........
Is the audio higher pitched than it should be?

My TV is a Sharp Aquos 46d65 and audio is coming straight from it.

At least 3 Sharp's so far.....hmmm.

Last edited by Iluvatar : 12-12-2008 at 05:50 AM.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #33
nmccainjr

I change my audio connection to Optical and it's working great...

It's the HDMI
nmccainjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:12 AM   #34
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmccainjr View Post
I change my audio connection to Optical and it's working great...

It's the HDMI
Most definitely, every other audio input source seems to work great.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #35
Innerloop

Same problem here - all material I have tried. Makes it totally unusuable.

I hope Tivo doesn't assume that forcing people to switch to other audio input methods is an acceptable solutoin to this. I would expect an emergency patch in a matter of days or I will not bother with Netflix beyond the 2 week trial.

Samsung Plasma screen, TivoHD.
Innerloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #36
Lady
Sarasota County, FL

Is there another solution I can use? The sound is messed up on Eye of the Dolphin for me. When I try to download it again the same movie is in the cue that asks me if I want to resume the movie at the same spot or play from the beginning.
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:28 AM   #37
kirkbross

I have a Series 3 and the audio is choppy AND lags with Netflix. It's like a fast stutter, plus the lag of a few seconds. What a bummer. Recycling the power on the Aquos and Tivo made no difference. I just got off the phone with Netflix and he thinks it's a Tivo issue.

I think they are ahead of themselves on this particular streaming technology and I dare anyone with a Tivo and Netflix (and any kind of internet connection) to say they have zero problems with any and all Netflix titles. I bet 100% of users are having problems.

I don't mind waiting for a DVD and I have to remind myself that in Darfur, the refugees fleeing machete-wielding marauders don't even have Netflix and can only watch 500 channels of cable programming through their Tivos. Plus, they only have 42" HD TVs (compared to my 46" Aquos).

Last edited by kirkbross : 12-15-2008 at 01:34 AM.
kirkbross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:40 AM   #38
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkbross View Post
I have a Series 3 and the audio is choppy AND lags with Netflix. It's like a fast stutter, plus the lag of a few seconds. What a bummer. Recycling the power on the Aquos and Tivo made no difference. I just got off the phone with Netflix and he thinks it's a Tivo issue.

I think they are ahead of themselves on this particular streaming technology and I dare anyone with a Tivo and Netflix (and any kind of internet connection) to say they have zero problems with any and all Netflix titles. I bet 100% of users are having problems.

I don't mind waiting for a DVD and I have to remind myself that in Darfur, the refugees fleeing machete-wielding marauders don't even have Netflix and can only watch 500 channels of cable programming through their Tivos. Plus, they only have 42" HD TVs (compared to my 46" Aquos).

I am concerned that this may be a TV firmware bug with handling out of spec audio signals. The majority of the displays on this thread having the issue seem to be either Sharp or Samsung. But that's just a thought. Also I have seen mention elsewhere of other users having similar sound issues with non-TiVo devices over HDMI.

Last edited by Iluvatar : 12-15-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #39
Lady
Sarasota County, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
I am concerned that this may be a TV firmware bug with handling out of spec audio signals. The majority of the displays on this thread having the issue seem to be either Sharp or Samsung. But that's just a thought. Also I have seen mention elsewhere of other users having similar sound issues with non-TiVo devices over HDMI.
I have a Hitachi 55" plasma with HDMI on the set that we are downloading the NetFlix to.
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #40
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
I have a Hitachi 55" plasma with HDMI on the set that we are downloading the NetFlix to.
There are many audio problems with Netflix right now and I wasnt sure whether you were having the same problem as others in this thread (there are a couple posts that are not the same problem as what the thread was created to discuss). The symptoms being high pitched voices (everyone sounds like a chipmunk) on 95% of Netflix videos and afterwords high pitched TiVo system sounds (beeps and boops). If you are experiencing audio lagging or audio drop outs I dont believe those are the same issue.

Last edited by Iluvatar : 12-15-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #41
TinFoil

Wow - I thought I had just bought a bum TivoHD box! Glad to know I'm not alone. I'm having this issue with a Sharp Aquos hooked up via HDMI and a Tivo wireless adapter.

It sounds like I can swap off the HDMI to component and optical audio and be OK? I have a Tivo HD in my basement home theater hooked up this way and have no audio problems at all with Netflix.
TinFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #42
slycon

same problem. i have a samsung 56" tv and the first day netflix worked fine. with everything i watch now, they all sound like chipmunks which makes the videos unbearable to watch. i'm also experiencing a crackling/popping sound in the audio. i use an hdmi connection and have a tivo hd.

like i said, the first day or two it worked just fine. but now, not so much
slycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #43
Playloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinFoil View Post
Wow - I thought I had just bought a bum TivoHD box! Glad to know I'm not alone. I'm having this issue with a Sharp Aquos hooked up via HDMI and a Tivo wireless adapter.

It sounds like I can swap off the HDMI to component and optical audio and be OK? I have a Tivo HD in my basement home theater hooked up this way and have no audio problems at all with Netflix.
Just for a fun test, can you switch those cables around, and see if the problem follows the cables?
Playloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #44
nmccainjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post

I have a RCA 32 inch
nmccainjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #45
Slime

For me,

Netflix works fine (so far), but when the show ends the Tivo sound effects are broken (they crackle). If we then watch a Tivo recorded show the audio on that show is also broken (crackles). Switching to Live TV or hitting Tivo and restarting the playback corrects the problem.

S3 -> HDMI -> Sharp LC-C6554U
Slime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #46
mdlschooltchr

Chipmunk Sounds continue

I am also having this problem. I am somewhat glad to hear that it is not just me. I have a Sanyo DP50747. i have not tried composite yet to see if the sound works, but now I will try. Whay can't Tivo sen out a email about this or something!!
mdlschooltchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #47
smokeyjones666

I've been having problems with the audio skewing gradually out of sync, but in my case it's drifting slower. It's been most pronounced the last couple of days, while I've been watching seasons 7 and 8 of CSI. It's behavior is similar to bad video files I've seen in the past with poorly encoded vbr audio, in that in the beginning the drift is only a fraction of a second but by the end the audio is off by two or three whole seconds.

Unlike most of you with your fancy high definition tvs, my wife is keeping me strictly old school. Series 3 using s-video and optical into a mid-90's era Onkyo receiver, s-video back out into a 27" Sony Trinitron. I'm using wired ethernet to connect to my router, my cable internet connection has been solid for years.

Whatever is causing the problem, it's driving me nuts. Here I thought this whole Netflix on TiVo thing was going to be awesome, but for me it's turning out to be a major pain in the ass.
smokeyjones666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #48
rvmeush

Sound problems gone

The problems I was having with sound over the HDMI cable are now gone - I switched over to a component video/audio connection. It's really sad that I have to abandon use of HDMI just to get usable sound.

When Tivo gets the HDMI sound problem fixed, would someone let me know?
rvmeush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #49
Garak

Add me to the list of people having the "chipmunk" problem over HDMI.
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #50
DiamondFrank

I have the problem as well and it's extremely annoying. I switched to component cables and left-right audio cables and the problem went away.

I have a tivo hd and samsung 32" lcd.
DiamondFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #51
jtseltmann

I have seen this problem but only on one of my Samsung LCD's. We noticed it this weekend when my wife tried to watch something in the bedroom via netflix. We have a 26" Samsung/THD with HDMI. We got the noise and sound issue on most netflix movies. I went to the living room to test and the Samsung in the main room running HDMI through my onkyo receiver played it just fine. The same movie. The diff being that one is running through an HDMI switching receiver and the tv in the living room is a newer Samsung LCD LN52A650.

I won't swich cables to get old movies from netflix..so far the selection of HD content is horrible. I had such high hopes for this one...i know tivo won't expect people to abandon their hdmi connections..especially for high end living room/media room setups.
Samsung LN52A650 - 52" LCD 120Hz
Samsung PN50B550 - 50" Plasma
Samsung LNS2641D -26" LCD
Harmony One
Harmony 659
jtseltmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #52
dlthames

Chipmunk in my TiVo with Netflix

I'm new to TiVo, I've only had mine about 2 weeks but I've had Netflix for a 3 years. I have tried several movies and TV shows streamed from Netflix on my TiVo and all of them have the same sound issue. When I return to TiVo menu my TiVo sounds are broken and crackle. I can play the same movies on my laptop with no sound issues. Anyone from TiVo looking in to this problem?
TiVo HD
HDMI>
Sharp LD-52D64U>
Zenith Surround
dlthames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:55 PM   #53
Millionaire2K

I don't like the lack of support for this issue.

Hdmi only problem on my 50" samsung plasma.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:29 PM   #54
lemonbrine

Samsung LNS4041D 40" Wide LCD HDTV here, same problem. I'd try it with component cables, but I don't have any.

And yeah, it pretty well makes watching netflix on tivo useless to me.
lemonbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:34 PM   #55
lemonbrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonbrine View Post
Samsung LNS4041D 40" Wide LCD HDTV here, same problem. I'd try it with component cables, but I don't have any.

And yeah, it pretty well makes watching netflix on tivo useless to me.
Scratch that, I found some. It doesn't seem to be a problem with I use plain old red/white/yellow rca cables.

Bummer.
lemonbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:36 PM   #56
rvmeush

Another possibility to get usable sound is to use the stereo output of the Tivo (or the digital audio output) into an amplifier with speakers. Just don't listen to the audio from the tv which is derived from the HDMI input.
rvmeush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:55 PM   #57
CheezWiz
ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

I have an S3, Onkyo 606 and a Hitachi plasma. No issues such a this. So far, any item I have had sound issues on also happen on my PC. I am amazed that they do not have an easy reporting system for badly encoded videos.

I have had some issues where my tivo would start re-buffering or get really slow and lockup. Turns out that it is overheating. It is running 55 degrees while streaming netflix. I put a fan on the floor in front of it and all is better. I would be curious to now if anyone else is getting heat up issues while streaming netflix? My S3 usually sits right at 45 degrees all the time.

I am dropping in a new variable speed WD 750Gig drive this weekend and will give everything a good cleaning an see if it helps.
Tivo HD @ 750GB Green Drive
Tivo Series 2 @ 200GB
pyTivo Windows Home Server @ 3TB
Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI
Hitachi Ultravision Plasma
CheezWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #58
cmhughes81

This "chipmunking" issue seems to be covered (at least in part) across many threads. Does anyone know if this Netflix / TiVO have been made aware of the bug? I've got the same problem as everyone else -- TiVO HD connected via HDMI to a Samsung LCD. Using a TiVO wireless adapter. As someone else said, this pretty much destroys the viewing experience....
cmhughes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #59
szurlo

Add me to the list.
Chipmunk audio over HDMI.
Fine over component.
TV is a Sanyo DP42746 plasma. (Wal-Mart Only model).
Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #60
joseph_liu

Same issue here...

TiVo HD
Sharp Aquos LC42D64U
joseph_liu is offline   Reply With Quote