TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
Playloud
Registered User
 
Playloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 102
Sound problem with Netflix/Tivo HD

Ok. I just ordered Netflix so I could use it with my Tivo HD.

1st attempt
: Tried watching The Fifth Element. SD signal, Quality = 12 bars.
It seems as if the audio is running a tad fast. The voices sound too high pitched, and there is kind of a clicking sound a few times per second when there is any sound. It seems as if the audio is running fast, but then fixing itself a few times per second to stay in sync with the video.

2nd attempt: Heroes Season 3. HD Signal, Quality = 13 bars.
Outstanding. Everything working perfectly. Audio is perfect.

3rd attempt: Ghostbusters. SD Signal, Quality = 12 bars.
Exactly like The Fifth Element. Picture is fine, but the audio is off (see 1st attempt for explanation).

4th attempt: Heroes Season 3 (most recent episode). SD Signal. Quality = 12 bars.
Exactly like The Fifth Element. Picture is fine, but the audio is off (see 1st attempt for explanation).

Conclusion...
It appears HD content is fine, but SD content has audio errors. I have tried rebooting my Tivo HD, but the problem remains. (edit: this conclusion has been debunked. Please see next post) Has anybody else noticed this?

Specs:
DVR: Tivo HD
Tivo Software Version: 11.0-01-2-652
Netflix Software Version: NFLX-1.0-0001-00
Tivo Internet Connection: Wired
ISP: Verizon FIOS 20/5
TV: Sharp Aquos LC-32GP3U-B
Tivo/TV Connection: HDMI

Last edited by Playloud : 01-09-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Added audio files
Playloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Playloud
Registered User
 
Playloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 102
Update...

Well, I was trying more HD episodes of Heroes Season 3, and I found one that had the same audio problems as the SD vids I tried, so it isn't SD exclusively that messes up.

However, upon further review, I believe the video may be running a bit fast as well. It is hard to tell though, so I can't be sure.

I am hoping somebody can tell me what is going on, as the Netflix service is pretty worthless to me as is.
Playloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Iluvatar
Registered User
 
Iluvatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 377
I'm having the same issues.

HDMI to a 46d65u Sharp Aquos and sound is high pitched and scratchy sometimes.

Also after watching NetFlix the TiVo sounds (the beeps and boops) are way out of whack also (they sound way too high pitched and are scratchy sounding also) and can only be fixed by going to live tv and back again.

This as happened once or twice before with a pyTivo video but I can reproduce it everytime now with this Netflix app (although a few HD vids work perfectly fine).
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Playloud
Registered User
 
Playloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
Also after watching NetFlix the TiVo sounds (the beeps and boops) are way out of whack also (they sound way too high pitched and are scratchy sounding also) and can only be fixed by going to live tv and back again.
I noticed this also. Even though the "beep and boop" volume was set to low in the Tivo settings, it was still rather loud, and would distort in a "scratchy" way like you mentioned. Even if the TV volume was low, it would scratch. I played a Blu-Ray disc through my PS3 (also HDMI), and turned it up loud with no problems, so it isn't my TV speakers.
Playloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
rvmeush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 59
Same problem with sound here when using Netflix. I also had similar sound problems when trying to watch Youtube video. The sound problem seems to persist even when I get back to watching regular Tivo recordings. It takes a while for the problem to clear up. Sometimes I have to switch between several recorded programs to get the sound back to normal.

I also happen to have a Roku player for Netflix, and it works fine for both audio and video. I have never had any issues with Roku streaming.

I can't imagine why this would be a problem with just a few Tivo users.
rvmeush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
Iluvatar
Registered User
 
Iluvatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmeush View Post
Same problem with sound here when using Netflix. I also had similar sound problems when trying to watch Youtube video. The sound problem seems to persist even when I get back to watching regular Tivo recordings. It takes a while for the problem to clear up. Sometimes I have to switch between several recorded programs to get the sound back to normal.

I also happen to have a Roku player for Netflix, and it works fine for both audio and video. I have never had any issues with Roku streaming.

I can't imagine why this would be a problem with just a few Tivo users.
What type of TV do you have? Are you using HDMI connection?

Also the sound problem clears for me when I go to Live TV for a second and then go back to the menus.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
forthekill
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13
I have the same issue. Any movie I watch has high pitched sound that warbles and occasionally clicks or has "noise". I haven't been able to get any movies to play with the correct sound so far.

RCN 10Mbps wired to the Tivo through Linksys router
Tivo HD
Sharp Aquos 46d64u
HDMI connection

I use pyTivo and never have any issues with sound or video, and stream basically instantly.
forthekill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
rvmeush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 59
I am using a Samsung lcd hd set, with an hdmi connection. For sound I have used both optical audio from the Tivo and stereo audio from the Samsung set. I have experienced the audio problem from both the stereo audio and the digital audio from the Tivo. There is definitely a problem with the Tivo, not with the tv.
rvmeush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
TolloNodre
En Fuego
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playloud View Post
I am hoping somebody can tell me what is going on, as the Netflix service is pretty worthless to me as is.
Hopefully it will all be sorted out soon. I'm sure they're trying to tweak the servers to make it work right. It'll probably settle down over the next few days.

But this is also a lesson in being an early adoptor. You're guaranteed to have issues.
TolloNodre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:15 AM   #10
Playloud
Registered User
 
Playloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 102
Ok. I made audio recordings using an iPod mic I bought for recording lectures in class. I set the mic up right next to my TV, and played the same scene twice. The files are about 500KB each, and in MP3 format.

1st file is from my Ghostbusters DVD, as played on my PS3. This is how it is supposed to sound.
http://www.filedropper.com/ghostbustersps3-dvd

2nd file is from Ghostbusters via Netflix, as played by my Tivo HD.
http://www.filedropper.com/ghostbusterstivo-netflix

Edit: I added this to the top of the thread.

Last edited by Playloud : 12-11-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Playloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:10 AM   #11
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV
 
skaggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 193
1st episode of 30 Rock has the audio problems, too.
__________________
Been watching TV through TiVo since 1998.
skaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:12 AM   #12
Millionaire2K
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 158
I have this same problem. Mine sounds like the audio speed is off when hooked up with hdmi. This problem is only with netflix for me. I don't get this problem when using my stereo with an optical connection.

Like I said Netflix is the only one with the problem.

It sucks that we have this problem. But its good that we know it must be a software problem and nothing is horribly wrong with any one persons tivo.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #13
javajawa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11
Yep. My audio was continuously about 2 sec behind the video. I was trying to watch "Wargames: The Dead Code". Don't remember how many bars, but it wasn't HD.
javajawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #14
Iluvatar
Registered User
 
Iluvatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 377
It sounds like there may be 2 separate problems in this thread.

1. An HDMI handshake issue that messes with sound (pitch, scratches, speed, etc) on certain types of videos that also messes up the TiVo system sounds and probably will have to be addressed with a software update from TiVo

and

2. Video encoding errors from Netflix that seem to cause audio lagging behind the video.

The first problem is not solely a Netflix issue. It can also be produced by viewing certain types of videos using pyTiVo or similar.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #15
forthekill
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13
After more testing, my problem seems to be related to the HDMI connection.

Through the component video and composite audio, everything I've tried sounds fine.

Using the HDMI, the sound is like everyone is a warbling munchkin from Oz, but only when viewing Netflix content.
forthekill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #16
rvmeush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 59
after further testing

Like others I seem to have verified that the audio problem only happens across the hdmi connection from Tivo to my tv, but only with Netflix.

I tried using the optical output from Tivo straight to my wireless headphones and the audio sounds okay there.

So it looks like it's an HDMI/Netflix issue.
rvmeush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #17
Playloud
Registered User
 
Playloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 102
Hopefully, somebody from Tivo can comment.
Playloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #18
kichigai01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 19
I just got Netflix linked to to my Tivo and I am having exactly the same issue of a "chipmunk" type error.

Everything is higher pitched then it should be and I haven't really tried anything yet but I will and get back to everyone.
kichigai01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:00 AM   #19
nmccainjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11
Good!! I thought it was just me having this problem. Maybe they get fix soon
nmccainjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #20
lordbah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Rochester, NY, USA
Posts: 98
I experience the audio about one second AHEAD of the video. Pitch sounds okay though.
lordbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #21
kichigai01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 19
I think I have stumble on a solution.

I was playing around with different wiring setups and I did not have a single problem using component cables.

I suspect the issue is with HDMI cables and how they transport audio. I used standard RCA type connections for the audio and not more trailing or high pitched sound.

Maybe it works just for me but give it a try.
kichigai01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #22
Playloud
Registered User
 
Playloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kichigai01 View Post
I think I have stumble on a solution.

I was playing around with different wiring setups and I did not have a single problem using component cables.

I suspect the issue is with HDMI cables and how they transport audio. I used standard RCA type connections for the audio and not more trailing or high pitched sound.

Maybe it works just for me but give it a try.
That was said previously in the thread. However, the problem needs to be fixed for people using HDMI. It only happens when watching Netflix, so there should be some sort of software solution for this.

I guess if it came down to it, I COULD use component for Netflix, and HDMI for everything else (I have the spare inputs/outputs). I would then just have to change the input on my TV when watching Netflix. However, I much rather they just fix the problem with HDMI.
Playloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #23
Iluvatar
Registered User
 
Iluvatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playloud View Post
That was said previously in the thread. However, the problem needs to be fixed for people using HDMI. It only happens when watching Netflix, so there should be some sort of software solution for this.

I guess if it came down to it, I COULD use component for Netflix, and HDMI for everything else (I have the spare inputs/outputs). I would then just have to change the input on my TV when watching Netflix. However, I much rather they just fix the problem with HDMI.

As it is not strictly a Netflix problem it would be TiVo that probably has to fix it as it seems to be a problem with how it interprets/outputs certain audio streams in tandem with certain TV's. I would assume any fix (unless ALOT of people are having it) would have to wait until the Spring 09 update.

Who knows maybe it's a firmware bug in our TV's in how it interprets the audio sent by the TiVo over the HDMI connection.

I have had this problem since I got my TV which was several months ago. I have frequently been able to reproduce this using pyTivo and MKV or m4v/mp4 files that contain certain types of audio streams. The symptoms being high pitched voices, scratchiness, and weird TiVo system noises after exiting the video.

I just assumed that it was a problem with my TV since nobody else was complaining about it here until Netflix showed up.

Last edited by Iluvatar : 12-11-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #24
Playloud
Registered User
 
Playloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
As it is not strictly a Netflix problem it would be TiVo that probably has to fix it as it seems to be a problem with how it interprets/outputs certain audio streams in tandem with certain TV's. I would assume any fix (unless ALOT of people are having it) would have to wait until the Spring 09 update.

Who knows maybe it's a firmware bug in our TV's in how it interprets the audio sent by the TiVo over the HDMI connection.

I have had this problem since I got my TV which was several months ago. I have frequently been able to reproduce this using pyTivo and MKV or m4v/mp4 files that contain certain types of audio streams. The symptoms being high pitched voices, scratchiness, and weird TiVo system noises after exiting the video.

I just assumed that it was a problem with my TV since nobody else was complaining about it here until Netflix showed up.
Spring 09 seems unacceptable to me. If it is something with their software (which I am assuming), then that needs to be fixed asap. Since they read these forums, the very least they could do it reply to this forum to acknowledge the problem, and tell us that they will investigate it. The audio files I put earlier in the thread clearly show that Netflix is currently worthless to people who are having this problem.

If it is a compatibility problem with the TV, we need to know that also.

Can every who is having the high pitch/scratchy/chipmunk sound problem please reply in this thread with your TV's brand (and specific model number if possible)?

Mine is a Sharp Aquos LC-32GP3U-B
Playloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #25
rrosebr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3
I use Tivo, HDMI, and Optical to my reciever...I have crackling with the sound...However, I also have Xbox Netflix and no issues with the audio, even on the same MOVIE!!!
rrosebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #26
rvmeush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 59
I am using a Samsung LNS4051D with HDMI, and it has the audio problem with Netflix.
rvmeush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #27
rainwater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrosebr View Post
I use Tivo, HDMI, and Optical to my reciever...I have crackling with the sound...However, I also have Xbox Netflix and no issues with the audio, even on the same MOVIE!!!
It isn't the same stream. XBox is using a different stream type than what TiVo is using. XBox and Roku use the same streams however.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #28
Meklos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 66
Mitsubishi 65 DLP. HDMI, no receiver. After watching a Netflix show, no more beeps/boops on the menus in the Tivo... but beeps/boops on the guide are there.
Meklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #29
forthekill
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13
Mine is a Sharp AQUOS LC-46D64U.
forthekill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #30
rrosebr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
It isn't the same stream. XBox is using a different stream type than what TiVo is using. XBox and Roku use the same streams however.
That's great, I was just providing info...
rrosebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |