TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #121
shabby46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranklin View Post
The TiVo can be on, but not connected to the TA via USB until the activation takes. If it's still blinking then it might not be added to the account properly. If you want to contact me via PM I can check your account, or you can call in.
Well, I called the number up here and they of course had no idea what I was talking about with these crazy new adapters. The woman was still very helpful and attempting to solve the problem, so I cant blame her, she is just as new as we are.

I unhooked everything and started over scratch, hopefully it will take this time. It looks like it is flashing at a non-steady rate every now and then, but still waiting.

Just a question for everyone else out there. When I hook it up, it initially starts out solid, then flashes, then the whole TA shuts down. When I press the power button, it starts flashing again and this is when I called since it said to be sure the unit is on when dialing. Does anybody remember if theirs shut off too, or is it just me?
shabby46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #122
deaddeeds
Go Hokies

Mine Shut Off.
deaddeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #123
jcaudle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTalbert View Post
I may be wrong, but the reason Tivo only designed a 1 way product instead of a 2 way product, is there is really no two way cards out there. M cards and 2 way product are different. M Cards have two streams. Not in inbound and outbound stream. To be 2 way product that would enable cox VOD and all the other items. Cablelabs is working on such a functionality Cable Card 2.0 (Now Tru2Way), they have been for a while, but will it ever see light, who knows. Again I am just going by what I think I have read in the past. Tivo could have designed the Series 3 and HD boxes with only one card slot, but when Series 3 came out. M cards were not readily avail ( they still are not) and at first the series 3 would not read M Cards, but after a SW update from Tivo it can. So dont blame Tivo for a 1 way product.

Here is a link on info on Tivo working on this.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/06/t...ures-like-vod/

M Cards have been available for over a year in Fairfax. I have had one ever since getting my Tivo HD in Sep 2007
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #124
Dark Helmet

No joy for me. I called Cox (boy, they don't make it easy to talk to a person, do they? I swear I spend 5 minutes just navigating the phone menu) and they tried to send a "reload" message, but it didn't work. They wanted to send out a technician. I told them I'd call them back.
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #125
Dark Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby46 View Post
Just a question for everyone else out there. When I hook it up, it initially starts out solid, then flashes, then the whole TA shuts down. When I press the power button, it starts flashing again and this is when I called since it said to be sure the unit is on when dialing. Does anybody remember if theirs shut off too, or is it just me?
Mine did the same thing. Hrm. Sounds like we're in the same boat.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #126
shabby46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Mine did the same thing. Hrm. Sounds like we're in the same boat.
Yeah, Ive tried unplugging it and letting it sit for a while then repeating the process. i wonder if it is having trouble connecting now or what. It is flashing differently now than it was earlier. Now I am getting 8 flashes, then a moment of nothing, then repeat. Earlier it was flashing pretty much constantly.

I hung up too because they didnt seem to know anything and were only holding me up.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #127
frogger22

I will offer my kudos too, to both Cox and Tivo. The pickup at Herndon was easy (the lousy weather aside), and the install was simple. I am going to buy a longer USB cable this weekend so I can move the box down with some of my older AV components (out of sight). As luck would have it, there is a second cable port behind the cabinet, thanks to the old Media General dual-cable system.
frogger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #128
Dark Helmet

Quote:
Yeah, Ive tried unplugging it and letting it sit for a while then repeating the process. i wonder if it is having trouble connecting now or what. It is flashing differently now than it was earlier. Now I am getting 8 flashes, then a moment of nothing, then repeat. Earlier it was flashing pretty much constantly.

I hung up too because they didnt seem to know anything and were only holding me up.
So, I called back, and I got a different guy. He bumped me to a supervisor (he wasn't available, but he called me back after 5-10 minutes), said, "Whoops, it's not set up right", did some magic, and it now works!

Perhaps try calling again?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #129
shabby46

Quote:

OK, last thing then I will shut up and let everyone who has working equipment talk here. Now after restarting it, the flashing went from a steady state to pausing for a while on the 6th flash, then repeating. Im hoping that there is just a problem with the connection on Cox's end or something and when I wake up all is well.

I will update if things change.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #130
Dark Helmet

Note to everyone - if your tuning adapter is activated and plugged into the TiVo during a recording, recording will stop. Not the end of the world, and it's a rather tiny corner case, but just figured it's worth mentioning.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #131
acslater

Quote:

Same problem with me. Just blinks forever. I made sure to follow the directions exactly. JFranklin, I sent you a PM.
acslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #132
Miller

No Joy for Me

I picked up the Tuning Adapter after work today in Herndon. Hooked it up and I am still unable to get a good chunk of the HD channels I am supposed to. Yes, I followed the instructions. I work in the IT field and the install was not difficult. First, when I called to activate, the light would not stop flashing even after 45 minutes. I called Cox, they reset it, and it stopped flashing. I connected the USB to the TiVo, but was missing a lot of HD channels even though I did get more than before. I went through all three of the troubleshooting steps. The third step involves restarting the TiVo. After the TiVo came back up, the Tuning Adapter continued blinking. I called Cox back, they reset it again, but it did not stop blinking. I was told to follow the three troubleshooting steps again. It is too late to do that this evening; I will try it again tomorrow after work. Besides, I am currently recording CSI. The wife will kill me if I do something to screw up that recording.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #133
milo99

i wonder if there's some common thread here for folks who are having issues. I know one person mentioned a wireless adapter plugged into the other usb port?

my setup is using a cable ethernet, not wireless, and i do have an eSATA MyDVR expander, and it worked without flaws.

DarkHelmet got his working after an initial "misconfiguration" ...maybe different setups require something slightly different done in the back end?? wouldn't hurt for you guys to post your configurations, anything you can think of that's not bone stock.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #134
Dark Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
DarkHelmet got his working after an initial "misconfiguration" ...maybe different setups require something slightly different done in the back end?? wouldn't hurt for you guys to post your configurations, anything you can think of that's not bone stock.
So, the supervisor I spoke with (the guy who ultimately fixed the problem) said that the sales guy (I assume he meaint the guy at the service counter) missed something. I picked up mine from Herndon after work, and with the crappy traffic today it ended up being close to 6pm. Perhaps the guy you picked it up from did the "right" thing? You got yours earlier in the day, right? Did everyone who had a non-working TA pick theirs up in the evening?

(BTW, all of you that picked yours up earlier ... do you people not have jobs? )
Old 12-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #135
milo99

Quote:
So, the supervisor I spoke with (the guy who ultimately fixed the problem) said that the sales guy (I assume he meaint the guy at the service counter) missed something. I picked up mine from Herndon after work, and with the crappy traffic today it ended up being close to 6pm. Perhaps the guy you picked it up from did the "right" thing? You got yours earlier in the day, right? Did everyone who had a non-working TA pick theirs up in the evening?

(BTW, all of you that picked yours up earlier ... do you people not have jobs? )
i have no idea what the woman at the counter would have done. she asked for my number and pin for the account, went in back and picked it up. Box was closed and everything inside unopened.

and uh... some of us just have jobs that allow us certain... flexibilities... like working from home on occasion
Old 12-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #136
EvilYankeeFan

Quote:

LOL. Just short trip (fairfax) to herndon at lunch

Still missing some channels (hbos/setanta) so it's not 100%, but getting closer.
EvilYankeeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #137
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilYankeeFan View Post
LOL. Just short trip (fairfax) to herndon at lunch

Still missing some channels (hbos/setanta) so it's not 100%, but getting closer.
is setanta a premium channel like HBO? you may have to actually call customer service to get them to give those channels. What do i mean? apparently some of hte premiums are provisioned separately.

I had to do that with Showtime (even tho it's not on SDV). they only gave me regular channels, and after calling tech support, the guy told me i needed to get customer service to give me the HD Shotime channel. Did that and solved the problem. (this was all a few weeks ago)
Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #138
JTalbert

ok, I cant get mine to work either, blink blink blink blink. I called Cox, they said it was not setup in the computer right, did some magic, nothing, I thought it was fine, she had me turn it off and back on again and it was a solid light, I was like woo hoo, but as soon as I hung up with her it started blinking again.

Story of my life, nothing goes right...
JTalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #139
acslater

Setup: Cable ethernet and nothing else special.

I did pick mine up this evening.

Tech support had no idea what I was talking about. They are sending a tech out to fix it but I have no confidence in that working. I'll probably end up canceling the visit and trying another TA I guess.
acslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #140
amyflick

I picked mine up at Kingstowne first thing this morning. After spending some quality time on the phone with tech support, it works fine. I have wireless.

I seem to have lost channel 4 though. It's strange, 704 works but not 4.
amyflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #141
Dark Helmet

Quote:
i have no idea what the woman at the counter would have done. she asked for my number and pin for the account, went in back and picked it up. Box was closed and everything inside unopened.
Right ... but there are two holes on the back of the box and through one of them you can see the device address. The guy at the counter looked through there, did some typing on his computer, and then I had to sign something that had device numbers on it (it was the receipt for the box).

Quote:
and uh... some of us just have jobs that allow us certain... flexibilities... like working from home on occasion
Heh, must be nice. I schlep to the District every day.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #142
shabby46

Quote:

I called back and the guy said he had just fixed somebody else's problem (I assume yours) and managed to configure my account pretty fast. I then was not getting any of the SDV channels, but the blinking had stopped. After about 40 minutes of restarting and messing with stuff on his end I remember what somebody had posted and switched the USB to the other slot (lower one). Instantly the TA was recognized and began working.

I found out that the upper USB port on my tivo doesnt seem to work, or at least doesnt work with the TA or wireless adapter. Luckily there is a port in front of the TA, so I just stuck it in there instead, but this might be the problem with other people too. Good luck everyone.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #143
milo99

Quote:
I called back and the guy said he had just fixed somebody else's problem (I assume yours) and managed to configure my account pretty fast. I then was not getting any of the SDV channels, but the blinking had stopped. After about 40 minutes of restarting and messing with stuff on his end I remember what somebody had posted and switched the USB to the other slot (lower one). Instantly the TA was recognized and began working.

I found out that the upper USB port on my tivo doesnt seem to work, or at least doesnt work with the TA or wireless adapter. Luckily there is a port in front of the TA, so I just stuck it in there instead, but this might be the problem with other people too. Good luck everyone.
iiiiiiiiinteresting. mine is in the lower slot too.. that was the first i tried...
Old 12-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #144
EvilYankeeFan

Quote:
is setanta a premium channel like HBO? you may have to actually call customer service to get them to give those channels. What do i mean? apparently some of hte premiums are provisioned separately.

I had to do that with Showtime (even tho it's not on SDV). they only gave me regular channels, and after calling tech support, the guy told me i needed to get customer service to give me the HD Shotime channel. Did that and solved the problem. (this was all a few weeks ago)
Yep Setanta is a premium. I thought it was SDV as it was just recently added. HBOs I thought were SDV as well. I did have a problem when I got HBO where the HD HBO wasn't showing up on the SA DVR. They turned it on, but as it never showed on the Tivo I assumed SDV. I'll give COX a yell. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #145
EvilYankeeFan

Quote:
iiiiiiiiinteresting. mine is in the lower slot too.. that was the first i tried...
I have my in the upper slot. Wireless in lower one.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:04 AM   #146
jon96cobra

Just finished getting mine set up at 7pm and I'm getting all the HD stations. I have it plugged into the top slot and my tivo is hard wired to the network.
Series 3 with External 500gb
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
jon96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:39 AM   #147
Timber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilYankeeFan View Post
I have my in the upper slot. Wireless in lower one.
+1

-=Tim=-
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:40 AM   #148
djones18

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones18 View Post
My TA question is moot for now. The technician setting up my TiVo HD has left my house in search of cablecards. What a nightmare. After explaining to the CSR two days ago to send experienced tech and at least 4 M-cards, the tech shows up expecting to put a single cablecard into a TV. Yikes! I explain it's a TiVo HD...and get a glimmer of understanding. He thinks he may have an M-card in the truck. He does...one card! I show him TiVo's instructions and he says he's done this before. He checks the coax signal into the house, it's good. Then he tries to put the cablecard into the TiVo before reconnecting the coax cable into the TiVo. I say STOP! That's not what the instructions say. He gets back on track and tries to put the M-card into the TiVo. It won't fit for some reason. He tries harder. Finally he pulls it out; it's cracked. So now he's off to find another truck nearby with some M-cards. I'm gonna be watching like a master surgeon over a two year intern. It's gonna be a long day.

Maybe, just maybe we'll get around to the TA tonight.
My Saga ends happily with the help of Jody Franklin at Cox Tech Central. But first things first. The Cox tech who came to my house earlier found another M-card, returned, tried to get it working for two more hours and failed. Total job time so far four hours. No wonder Cox hates these things. He and I were frustrated. He left...and left the M-Card. On a whim, I rebooted my new TiVo HD and it began downloading Version 11 firmware...something it had not done when prepping for the tech visit. Following this update, I again inserted the M-Card, got all the right screens, called Cox to activate the card and to my delight it worked.

Next comes the TA adapter I picked up from Cox Kingstowne Thursday morning. I followed installation instructions, called Cox automated line, and waited. It would not activate. Called Cox Tech line. They directed me to billing. Billing had to update my TA service (their words), and directed me back to Tech folks. TA still would not activate. Tech folks contacted Jody...my hero! Within minutes Jody had the TA activated and now everything works. I suspect part of my TA problem may be that I just activated a new M-Card in my TiVo HD. Perhaps Jody has more info on this.

On this journey to getting my TiVo HD and TA working, Cox folks were helpful. This includes Ms Falk who managed reservations and early distribution of TAs and Jody Franklin of this forum. Some Cox folks knowledge of the TA was limited (except for Jody) and I expected this. They went out of their way to find the requisite expertise within the Cox organization to help me and at no point left me hanging. After a long, sometimes frustrating day, in this instance Cox worked for me!

I'm now back in TiVo nirvana after waiting two years for M-cards and SDV issues to be worked out. I suspect the technical issues in the TiVo, cablecard, TA, Cox headend, account services activation equation are complex and form a precarious technical balancing act. Not perfect but far better than the alternatives for me.

Cheers.
djones18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:31 AM   #149
shabby46

Quote:
Im not saying that the slot necessarily matters, but my upper slot didnt seem to work for the wireless adapter either, so there appears to be something wrong with it. Had I not seen the other posting about switching the USB I would probably still be without the channels.

I plugged the wireless adapter into the front of TA and it lit up, so it is getting power, does anybody know if this port will allow me to connect to the network, or if it is just for servicing the TA? I forgot to check before I left today.

sidenote: These doughnuts from Milan Bakery in FC are fantastic. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:42 AM   #150
deaddeeds
Go Hokies

In summary, I went to Kingtstowne at 5pm on the 11th. The CSR pulled out a TA, then she looked at the back of the TA and typed in a number into her system and then printed out a receipt and I was off. After I plugged in the power to the TA, the lights did a lot of blinking then it turned off. I turned it back on and followed the rest of the instructions. I have the TA plugged into the Top USB Slot with my USB Wireless Adapter in the Bottom USB slot.

Last edited by deaddeeds : 12-12-2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Typo
deaddeeds is offline   Reply With Quote