TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
newsposter
Poster of News

pytivo, i am very confused

i tried following the step by step in a sticky in the forum but couldnt get it to work...i dont know if it even matters but i added a share _tivo_(my number) but then you were supposed to edit it but the edit button didnt show up at all

anyway, i installed python 26 27 and 32 in my attempt to get things working...when i kept trying to install pytivo it said you need 2.4 2.5 or 2.6 then i finally did get to the localhost 9032 config menu somehow

i do see the required and not required things in the config menu however i just dont understand if that web config is what the program is or is there something else?

from what others have told me i need to stream from pytivo to my premiere in order to not lose PQ when i have been converting from avi to mpg2 with my standalone program. I much prefer to upload to the tivo and have it reside on there though, if that is possible. and while i am familiar with other file format names, i really dont know what they mean, whats best etc etc

so if anyone wants to dumb it down a bit, id appreciate it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
newsposter
Poster of News

ok good news...after digging around some more, i realized i never added the path to each of the options on the config interface..i now can see MY VIDEOS on the now playing list

however, when i started streaming an avi, it doesnt look as good as on my laptop..is that because i'm blowing it up on a 57 inch CRT? or are there other settings i can do to ensure the file looks as good on the tivo as on my tiny laptop screen

!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
lrhorer

What does pyTivo report as the string its sends to ffmpeg?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
What does pyTivo report as the string its sends to ffmpeg?
where would i find this? the web config?

i tried to get into pytivo.conf and it's locked and i cant get in it plus it says windows cant open the file

also does it make a difference if i pull with tivo thru my videos or under myvideos on the web interface i hit transfer this? i tried pushing from the interface and got the below statement but i cant find where in the interface to change server

No option 'tivo_username' in section: 'Server'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\video.py", line 341, in Push
m = mind.getMind()
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\mind.py", line 285, in getMind
username = config.getTivoUsername()
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\config.py", line 62, in getTivoUsername
return config.get('Server', 'tivo_username')
File "C:\Python26\lib\ConfigParser.py", line 541, in get
raise NoOptionError(option, section)
NoOptionError: No option 'tivo_username' in section: 'Server'

!

Last edited by newsposter : 10-16-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
where would i find this? the web config?
No, from the pyTivo console output. (You may have to have debug enabled - I'm not sure.)

Quote:
i tried to get into pytivo.conf and it's locked
How is it "locked"? You should be able to read the file, no matter what.

Quote:
and i cant get in it plus it says windows cant open the file
How are you trying to open it? You need to use a text editor to open the file directly. The web configuration utility should work. None of which has anything to do with the console output, however.

Quote:
also does it make a difference if i pull with tivo thru my videos or under myvideos on the web interface i hit transfer this?
Well, it can make a difference, but the issue is not central to the problem at hand.

Quote:
i tried pushing from the interface and got the below statement but i cant find where in the interface to change server
Right here:

Quote:
No option 'tivo_username' in section: 'Server'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\video.py", line 341, in Push
m = mind.getMind()
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\mind.py", line 285, in getMind
username = config.getTivoUsername()
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\config.py", line 62, in getTivoUsername
return config.get('Server', 'tivo_username')
File "C:\Python26\lib\ConfigParser.py", line 541, in get
raise NoOptionError(option, section)
NoOptionError: No option 'tivo_username' in section: 'Server'
It looks to me like your TiVo.com user ID is not set. If that's not set, then it's a fair bet your password is not set, either. Set them using a text editor or the web utility and then re-start pyTivo. This should stop the error above. While you are setting your username and password, also set Debug to True. When you select a video to transfer, if the file is transcoded, then pyTivo should report the parameters it sends to ffmpeg, like so:

Code:
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:transcoding to tivo model 648 using ffmpeg command:
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:/usr/bin/ffmpeg -i - -vcodec copy -b 9193k -maxrate 30000k -bufsize 4096k -ab 448k -ar 48000 -acodec copy -map 0.0 -map 0.1 -f vob -
If it doesn't send the file to ffmpeg for transcoding, then the file is not transcoded, and it is exactly as it was on the server. In this case, pyTivo will report something like:

Code:
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=NO, all compatible, /usr/share/pyTivo/Unverified/Back to the Future Part III (Recorded Sat Oct 08, 2011, MAXHD).mp4

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-17-2011 at 02:41 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:04 AM   #6
MeInDallas

What are the specs of the file you're sending to the Tivo?
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
however, when i started streaming an avi, it doesnt look as good as on my laptop..is that because i'm blowing it up on a 57 inch CRT?
Yes.

Quote:
or are there other settings i can do to ensure the file looks as good on the tivo as on my tiny laptop screen
No. It will never look as good.* But the best thing you can do is to start with a higher-quality video.

pyTivo is not going to give you higher quality than the separate conversion and transfer steps you were doing before. (Well, it might, but then again, it might be worse; either way, the difference would be subtle.) And the "push" method will only improve the quality (very slightly -- mainly what it improves is transfer time) for MP4 files, and a small class of WMVs -- not AVIs. (Although, if for some perverse reason you have an AVI file with h264 video, then it might be remuxable instead of needing a full reencode. Again though, this does more to reduce transfer time than to increase PQ.)

* In particular, it will never look as sharp. However, you may be able to perceive more detail on the larger screen, which can be a good thing. But when you start with a video that's only standard definition, or lower, then the increased detail mainly consists of seeing the individual pixels, JPEG-like artifacts, etc.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 10-17-2011 at 02:49 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Well, it can make a difference, but the issue is not central to the problem at hand.
Yes, it is. The "problem at hand" was that he couldn't get Push to work (because he didn't set it up), but the point of the question about quality was to ask whether he should even bother trying to get Push working. And if his only reason for Push is to get better PQ, then no, he shouldn't, because it won't.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:

It looks to me like your TiVo.com user ID is not set. If that's not set, then it's a fair bet your password is not set, either. Set them using a text editor or the web utility and then re-start pyTivo. This should stop the error above. While you are setting your username and password, also set Debug to True. When you select a video to transfer, if the file is transcoded, then pyTivo should report the parameters it sends to ffmpeg, like so:
i see nowhere in global server settings to set server/change password/userid

i now see i can use the configure pytivo selection in the menu and can get into that but dont even see in there where to change username

!

Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Yes.

No. It will never look as good.* But the best thing you can do is to start with a higher-quality video.

pyTivo is not going to give you higher quality than the separate conversion and transfer steps you were doing before. (Well, it might, but then again, it might be worse; either way, the difference would be subtle.) And the "push" method will only improve the quality (very slightly -- mainly what it improves is transfer time) for MP4 files, and a small class of WMVs -- not AVIs. (Although, if for some perverse reason you have an AVI file with h264 video, then it might be remuxable instead of needing a full reencode. Again though, this does more to reduce transfer time than to increase PQ.)

* In particular, it will never look as sharp. However, you may be able to perceive more detail on the larger screen, which can be a good thing. But when you start with a video that's only standard definition, or lower, then the increased detail mainly consists of seeing the individual pixels, JPEG-like artifacts, etc.
well i would like the option of pushing for sure....now that i can see how ez that is...transfer time is not a concern

does a larger or different type of file mean it's higher quality? i dont know how to tell what a better file is? i notice mkvs are much larger..is PQ better for them necessarily or no? i'd like to think a 1.8 gig file is better pq than 400mb ?

!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
does a larger or different type of file mean it's higher quality?
Larger is often better, but not necessarily. MPEG-2 files tend to be much larger than MP4 for the same level of quality. Most modern codecs should be similar, though (MPEG-2 is old, but still common since it's used for TV and DVD).

Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #12
newsposter
Poster of News

i'm going to have to play with file formats to see what is best

but i still have not figure out where to put in a name and password on pytivo

my next step then is to figure out how to create and transfer to specific folders but i'm guessing without the password etc setup, i cannot do that

!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
jcthorne

Quote:
i'm going to have to play with file formats to see what is best

but i still have not figure out where to put in a name and password on pytivo

my next step then is to figure out how to create and transfer to specific folders but i'm guessing without the password etc setup, i cannot do that
lrhoror posted a screen print of the page where the userid and password are to be entered. Look above. tivo_username and tivo_passoword are shown.

To simplify the video file discussion just a bit, you will want h264 video in a mp4 or mkv file or rips from BluRay discs as your starting files for transfer for full HD quality. A utility called mediainfo can tell you specifics about the files and with that info, folks here can help you further with specific information.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
lrhoror posted a screen print of the page where the userid and password are to be entered. Look above. tivo_username and tivo_passoword are shown.

To simplify the video file discussion just a bit, you will want h264 video in a mp4 or mkv file or rips from BluRay discs as your starting files for transfer for full HD quality. A utility called mediainfo can tell you specifics about the files and with that info, folks here can help you further with specific information.

under global server settings there is no userID or password at all..maybe thats my problem...i'm not home now but ill have to post a screenshot later.

sounds like mkv is the way to go ..thanks!

!

Old 10-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Iluvatar

Quote:
under global server settings there is no userID or password at all..maybe thats my problem...i'm not home now but ill have to post a screenshot later.

How old is the pyTivo you downloaded? You downloaded the latest snapshot directly from the developer site right?
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
newsposter
Poster of News

im not home but i remember i had one heck of a time installing and finding everything . i am pretty sure i downloaded python 26 27 and 32 at least and i'm pretty sure the pytivo i downloaded say you need 2.6...or maybe i have it all backwards, it was just a mess. i'm assuming the version would be in the console so when i get home ill post it and download as necessary

i do remember one page on the config that i entered in my media share number so at least i did that right

!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
Iluvatar

Quote:
im not home but i remember i had one heck of a time installing and finding everything . i am pretty sure i downloaded python 26 27 and 32 at least and i'm pretty sure the pytivo i downloaded say you need 2.6...or maybe i have it all backwards, it was just a mess. i'm assuming the version would be in the console so when i get home ill post it and download as necessary

i do remember one page on the config that i entered in my media share number so at least i did that right
Unfortunately pyTivo does NOT report a version number. So if it is in question then just download the latest snapshot and unzip and overwrite your pyTivo folder.

FYI, Python 2.7 works just fine. However 3.2 will not. Stay below versions 3.x.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
newsposter
Poster of News

could the fact that all 3 are installed be a bad thing and should i uninstall the other?

ill def use the link above tonight to install pytivo and i hope that works!

then i can learn how to make folders and all kinds of fun things

!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #19
Iluvatar

Quote:
could the fact that all 3 are installed be a bad thing and should i uninstall the other?

ill def use the link above tonight to install pytivo and i hope that works!

then i can learn how to make folders and all kinds of fun things
I really have no idea but if you have no uses for the other versions then it couldn't hurt to just uninstall all but v2.7

....One of the only bad things about pyTivo is that there is too much old and misinformation still around including old packages. With the pyTivo wiki it really is easy and is a set it and forget it service (maintenance wise).
Old 10-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
dlfl
Cranky old novice

newsposter, I'm curious:
I'm guessing you did not follow the Windows installation instructions in the pyTivo wiki -- or are you not running Windows?

The instructions may be found easily by just googling "pytivo wiki" and selecting the Windows Installation section. For example they plainly state to install Python ver. 2.7.

Just to be safe, you might want uninstall ALL versions of Python, reboot, then install 2.7.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #21
newsposter
Poster of News

well i uninstalled the other pythons and now i cant get to the 9032 interface at all. no idea how to get back to that sigh...and yes i followed the instructions but now i cant seem to figure out how to excecute pytivo.py since py wont execute lol

edit..good news..after rebooting:

Installed python 27

Downloaded the wmcbrine and extracted to c: pytivo

Got the new ffmpeg file and copied it to cytivo\bin (folder I created because there was no bin folder under the wmbrine folder

Copied tdcat and tivodecode to the same bin folder

Executed pytivo

Now I’m at the web config..hold on tight

weird behavior..if i execute pytivo.py i can get to 9032 but if that window is closed, 9032 is not accessible

!

Last edited by newsposter : 10-18-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #22
Iluvatar

Quote:
well i uninstalled the other pythons and now i cant get to the 9032 interface at all. no idea how to get back to that sigh...and yes i followed the instructions but now i cant seem to figure out how to excecute pytivo.py since py wont execute lol
I would reinstall Python 2.7.

Are you not running it from the command prompt?

Run 'cmd'
Type 'C:\insert\path\to\pyTivo\pyTivo.py'

Double clicking the pyTivo.py file is not guaranteed to run pyTivo correctly and is the reason why it is not described in the installation wiki.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #23
newsposter
Poster of News

never ran it from cmd..even when it wasnt working right...and now i notice on the 9032 screen that the togo option isnt even there and i cannot push anything yet at all

so are you saying this cmd window must be open all the time?

i find it odd the TOGO section of the 9032 window still hasnt show up

also in the mymovies section on the tivo, i only can see mpeg 2 files where before i could see them all..something is amiss. i even tried changing the ffmpeg path directly in the config file but it wont let me..my guess is this is my issue

to be clear..as long as the ffmpeg.exe is in those directories, it should work, correct? i copied it to all the directories under pytivo to be safe but no dice so far

C:\pytivo\bin
C:\pytivo\wmcbrine

i also re read the one sticky on the forum and created _tivo_ my number but i do not have an edit button to make a path...per the screenshot above in this thread, i should have an edit button but i dont

!

Last edited by newsposter : 10-18-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #24
Iluvatar

Quote:
never ran it from cmd..even when it wasnt working right...and now i notice on the 9032 screen that the togo option isnt even there and i cannot push anything yet at all

so are you saying this cmd window must be open all the time?
No. There are ways to run pyTivo without the cmd window open. It is in the wiki. It is just best to run pyTivo like this at first in order to make sure everything runs the way you want it.

Quote:

i find it odd the TOGO section of the 9032 window still hasnt show up
The TOGO section will only work once you have set up pyTivo with the appropriate MAK number that is associated with your TiVo.

Quote:

also in the mymovies section on the tivo, i only can see mpeg 2 files where before i could see them all..something is amiss. i even tried changing the ffmpeg path directly in the config file but it wont let me..my guess is this is my issue

to be clear..as long as the ffmpeg.exe is in those directories, it should work, correct? i copied it to all the directories under pytivo to be safe but no dice so far

C:\pytivo\bin
C:\pytivo\wmcbrine
Doesn't matter where you place ffmpeg.exe as long as the path in your pyTivo.conf is correct.

Quote:

i also re read the one sticky on the forum and created _tivo_ my number but i do not have an edit button to make a path...per the screenshot above in this thread, i should have an edit button but i dont
What sticky are you talking about? I don't think this is doing what you are thinking it is supposed to do.

Creating a [_tivo_TSN] section only serves to enforce certain settings per individual TiVo or restrict shares.

Please post the contents of your pyTivo.conf file. I am just imagining it being all out of whack. It should look basically something like this:

Code:
[Server]
tivo_password = *********
tivo_mak = **********
ffmpeg = /Applications/pyTivo/ffmpeg
togo_path = /Volumes/Media/TiVo
debug = True
tivo_username = ****@**.net

[Movies]
type = video
path = /Volumes/NAS/Videos/Movies

Old 10-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #25
newsposter
Poster of News

[Server]
port = 9032
ffmpeg = C:\pytivo\wmcbrine
tivo_password = mypassword
tivo_username = myname
togo_path = C:\Users\myname\Documents\My TiVo Recordings
tivodecode = C:\pytivo\wmcbrine
tdcat = C:\pytivo\wmcbrine
debug = true
tivo_mak = mynumber

[MyMovies]
type = video
path = C:\Users\mname\Documents\My TiVo Recordings

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]

[_tivo_mynumber]

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=410430

is where i was following

i'm at the point where i have this on the 9032 window

Web Configuration

Pull from TiVos:

Push from video shares:
MyMovies

however, something is still amiss with the ffmpeg path...the console window keeps telling me bad path but thats not possible..i have ffmpeg copied in at least 3 different directories to be safe

!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #26
newsposter
Poster of News

ok good news...a reboot cured a few things.

i can successfully pull from tivo, i did a test

i cannot push...get ffmpeg not found! ugh

and i know before i did NOT have the ffmpeg set up but yet i still saw my entire selection on the tivo before..so i'm perplexed

!

Last edited by newsposter : 10-18-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #27
Iluvatar

Quote:
ok good news...a reboot cured a few things.

i can successfully pull from tivo, i did a test

i cannot push...get ffmpeg not found! ugh
Your ffmpeg path is bad. It is missing the actual executable at the end.

Try this:

Code:
ffmpeg = C:\pytivo\wmcbrine\ffmpeg.exe

or if its in the bin folder

ffmpeg = C:\pytivo\wmcbrine\bin\ffmpeg.exe
Change this and restart.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #28
newsposter
Poster of News

i think i got it..TYVM for all your help, no way would have gotten that .exe on the path

i started pulling a MKV and where earlier tonight it was all choppy and bad...now i could start watching and the MKV looked pretty good

i went to the pytivo push menu and started to push a show. there was nothing on the pytivo config menu though to show it was working nor could be stopped where on the pull menu there is on the pytivo..so i went to MY SHOWS and hit stop and delete the show but it did not..i wonder if i shouldnt be pulling and pushing at the same time ..normally wont do that but had to test it all out

i think this is all i need for now..just gotta figure out how to run pytivo on startup every time on the wiki ...unsure if i need to figure out how to do folders on pytivo or not but dont wanna tempt fate tonight!

thanks again

!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #29
Iluvatar

Quote:
i think i got it..TYVM for all your help, no way would have gotten that .exe on the path

i started pulling a MKV and where earlier tonight it was all choppy and bad...now i could start watching and the MKV looked pretty good

i went to the pytivo push menu and started to push a show. there was nothing on the pytivo config menu though to show it was working nor could be stopped where on the pull menu there is on the pytivo..so i went to MY SHOWS and hit stop and delete the show but it did not..i wonder if i shouldnt be pulling and pushing at the same time ..normally wont do that but had to test it all out

i think this is all i need for now..just gotta figure out how to run pytivo on startup every time on the wiki ...unsure if i need to figure out how to do folders on pytivo or not but dont wanna tempt fate tonight!

thanks again
Glad its working. It normally isn't this difficult.

Look here for tips on installing pyTivo as a service so you don't have to worry about accidentally closing the cmd prompt and quitting pyTivo.

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/i...g_as_a_Service
Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #30
Iluvatar

Quote:
This sticky is absolutely out of date with regards to pyTivo and should be removed.

edit: I made a post in the thread recommending that future readers not use this guide as a reference to install pyTivo.

Last edited by Iluvatar : 10-18-2011 at 08:44 PM.