TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
timckelley
TCFer

pyTiVo: can I restart without losing the queue?

Hello, I fairly often have a problem where my wife queues up a bunch of shows to transfer to my NAS, and halfway through, it freezes up. Maybe because I have MOCA, and the network is a little flaky. (I think some of the coax in the wall may not be in the best shape.)

Anyway, whenever this happens, I've been terminating the DOS window where pyTiVo is running (I run it on a Windows XP maching), and then relaunch it. It works fine again, but all the queued shows because unqueued, and my wife has to requeue them up again.

By chance, am I overlooking a trick where I could restart it without losing the queue? If there's not a way, we'll just continue doing what we're doing, but if there is a way, I'd be interested to hear about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
By chance, am I overlooking a trick where I could restart it without losing the queue? If there's not a way, we'll just continue doing what we're doing, but if there is a way, I'd be interested to hear about it.
Are you pulling or pushing? I am not 100% certain, but I believe the push queue is maintained on the mind server, not the pyTivo server. Pushing your content might possibly avoid the issue.

lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
timckelley
TCFer

I assume since I'm using http://localhost:9032 on the machine that's running pyTiVo, that means that we're pulling.

Does pushing mean that she should go to the TiVo with her shows on it, and from there tell it to move the show to our NAS? I didn't know you could do that, nor do I know how to do that. I guess I'll google the subject, or maybe somebody may chime in here with those instructions.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
lrhorer

Oops! 'Sorry, I misread your post. You are transferring TO the server. I was thinking you were transferring FROM the server.

If I recall, I think Galleon allowed one to initiate transfers to the server from the TiVo UI. It was a really neat utility, but it is pretty much dead now.

KMTTG might be very helpful. It even allows one to automate transfers.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
timckelley
TCFer

I used to have trouble getting kmttg to work correctly, which is why we just use the web interface I mentioned above, but if there's a chance the queues setup in kmttg would stay preserved after a pytivo restart, maybe I should look again into using kmttg.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Are you pulling or pushing? I am not 100% certain, but I believe the push queue is maintained on the mind server, not the pyTivo server. Pushing your content might possibly avoid the issue.
Additionally, the pull queue is maintained on the TiVo, so it would also survive a restart of pyTivo. But those are both for transfers to the TiVo. The queue for transfers from the TiVo is not written to disk, and does not survive a restart.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Additionally, the pull queue is maintained on the TiVo, so it would also survive a restart of pyTivo.
I thought that was the case, but my memory was vague on the issue, so I didn't mention it. The main problem, of course, was my mis-reading the post.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
timckelley
TCFer

Oh well, so in our case it sounds like we'll have manually requeue each time. It sounds like my wife shouldn't be making such massive queues, and maybe do them in shorter bursts than she does.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-01-2014, 01:00 AM   #9
lrhorer

To me it sounds more like you should be using KMTTG. It allows for very large queues, and as I mentioned also allows for automated transfers. Basically, you can set up a season pass to record on the TiVo, and set KMTTG to automatically transfer every episode. If you have an S4 or above or a hacked S3 or S3, it can delete the programs after they successfully transfer. Add to that the fact it can automatically decrypt the files, create metafiles, and run an ad scan on each transfer, if you like, and it provides quite a comprehensive TiVo To Go solution.