TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #721
dbenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post
Generally a very bad idea to post your TSN in a public forum. At most, TiVoJerry has only asked for people to PM that information to him. Even he says not to post that info in public.

I'd edit my post to remove that info if I were you.

--DotComCTO
That isn't a TSN (15 digits). I believe it is his service call number assigned by TiVo support.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #722
a68oliver

I don't believe that was his Tivo TSN, but was his Tivo trouble ticket number.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #723
mpark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbranco View Post
mpark, have you tried a different calling number? Some people have had success with that.
Yes, I've tried most of the 206 numbers. Test calls succeed, daily calls fail while connecting with "service unavailable" (never "call interrupted").

I'm tempted to go through guided setup again, but I plan to wait for TiVoJerry to return.
mpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #724
tujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by betseeee View Post
I reran guided setup late last night (after clearing program data but NOT clear and delete everything) and it worked, too. All seems back to normal with the guide. I'm curious to see what happens when it tries a regular daily call again.
Encouraged by this and dbenrosen's apparent success, I tried clearing program data(Not "clear and delete everything"), and am now in the same boat as morrius, stuck in an endless loop in Guided Setup since the connection to the service is failing, and all the on-screen UI will do is let me back up steps in the guided setup flow. It won't let me exit the flow, even after a hard reboot. So now I can't even get to my previously recorded programs. Damn. My mileage was same as morrius' on this one :^)

At this point the only hope I have is for TiVo to step up and resolve this issue. As for the service call number circulating on this thread, klon67 did indeed post a ticket number, not their TSN. I also have a ticket number to throw in the mix(open nearly 3 weeks now): 091209-007502. I'm guessing the first segment is the date the ticket was open, and the second part is an autoincrementing value generated by the TiVo ticketing system. Note that klon67's number suggests their ticket was opened yesterday.
tujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #725
dbenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujin View Post
Encouraged by this and dbenrosen's apparent success, I tried clearing program data(Not "clear and delete everything"), and am now in the same boat as morrius, stuck in an endless loop in Guided Setup since the connection to the service is failing, and all the on-screen UI will do is let me back up steps in the guided setup flow.
I'm curious, does the first call connect at all during guided setup work?

I will say that I was still getting the "Service Unavailable" right before I reran guided setup.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #726
Morrius

Nope, not even the first call goes through.
Morrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:13 AM   #727
tujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenrosen View Post
I'm curious, does the first call connect at all during guided setup work?

I will say that I was still getting the "Service Unavailable" right before I reran guided setup.
No, the first call made during Guided Setup doesn't connect for me. Though, while watching the sequence on the screen, it passes the dial step and it seems the problem occurs after the receiving end picks up and is trying to connect to the back-end service.

When I back up one step and try making a Test call within the Guided Setup context, that Test call also fails. It seems that the Test call within Guided Setup may perform a different set of operations than the Test call one can execute from the Phone Setup/Daily Call context, as the latter has been successful for me while the former is failing.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #728
jrusso9

Please add my Ticket Number to the list

I talked to Tracy, Creston, Frank and Darrell. I always used the same ticket number: 091208-008467.

I am afraid to try the guided setup fix. As a statistician, it appears that the treatment is not reliable for all situations.

I have had my TIVO for 9 years. The season pass data and thumbs up are gone. If my tivo ever comes back to life, it won't know me anymore.

Thanks for keeping attention on this issue, as this is my only TIVO, it really affects my quality of life.
jrusso9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #729
klon67

I wanted to clear up some confusion. the number I posted is the Tivo ticket number and not a TSN. I don't see that as a security risk. I encourage others with the SAME problem to post their ticket number so I can get to a supervisor at TIVO and see what they have to say. Maybe TivoJerry will be able to help.
I read is some documentation to Unplug the Tivo and the Phone line for several minutes and then try again. I tried everything else that has been suggested - short of guided setup- so I will unplug later this evening. I can still use the box for pausing live tv which is part of what I love about TIVO. Happy New Year to All.
klon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #730
tujin

email sent today to Mark Roberts, SVP Engineering and Operations at TiVo, as well as Krista Wierzbicki, Director of Public Relations(OOF until 1/4):

Mark, I would like to bring to your attention an issue which has been gaining increasing attention in the community as more people have come to forums in search of answers to a common problem. Briefly, on or around December 6, a number of us with Series 1 units began to experience problems making program update calls. Many of us have had no success since then and have been weeks without program data. Symptoms have been identical across numerous subscribers, many of us lifetime, and all started occurring on or around 12/6. I have a engineering degree and have done both hardware and software development, and based on all the data points available, it seems pretty likely this is a result of some change TiVo made in your infrastructure. There are numerous other tech-savvy folks in the community who share this opinion.

Customer service has been of little use, trying to brush the issue off as a phone company issue or something else. I finally pushed enough to, I believe, get this escalated into engineering, and am now in an unknown state in terms of resolution process. The support folks, understandably, are firewalled from the engineering team and can’t provide any specifics on what’s happening with the issue or when there might be some results. This leaves us in the community up in the air regarding what to expect, and frustrations are running high.

According to the support folks, this level of escalation is relatively rare; if that’s the case, my request is that someone on the product side be established as a communication liason to the community to share status updates on this issue. A 3+ week gap in service availability would never be tolerated where I work if the issue were caused by the provider organization. I appeal to your sense of customer commitment to do what’s right here and facilitate a timely(though one could argue we’re already past that point) resolution.

Additional information can be found in my open service ticket: 091209-007502, as well as on the forum(starting at post #648):

(removed since the forum won't let me post links until I have at least 5 posts, I'm currently at 4)

I look forward to a response.

Regards,
Old 12-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #731
jrusso9

Thanks so much for posting your ticket number. We now have 4 open tickets listed. Thanks for the great letter, on my behalf
Old 12-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #732
ewolfram

Another Series1 with same/similar issue -- add me to the list

Lately I have been unable to get new programming data on my Series 1 Tivo. Nothing has changed with our wiring/phone since Dec. 12th, the last time the Tivo successfully downloaded data, except now the tivo is unable to download the guide data. Only after we ran out of data did I try new numbers.

Here's what happens:

After changing the dialing options (in search of something that works), the Tivo will generally successfully make a test call. Then, when I "Make Daily Call Now", I expect it to get the new programming data, however, it will do the following:

Starting Up
Preparing to call
Housekeeping
Dialing...
Connecting...
Failed - Service Unavailable

I am very technical and I'm used to debugging hardware and software issues. I've exhausted Google and other resources.

It's a series 1 Philips Tivo with a serial number that starts with a bunch of 000-0023-2930...I mean this was one of the first boxes. I've been able to dial out for 12 years now from various locations.

Although my last successful update was Dec. 12th, we've been having spotty updates for about 3 months prior to that, where it might not be successful for a few days or even a week. Before that (ie, as of June/July 2009 and earlier), it always dialed out just fine -- unnoticeable.

As stated, I am currently able to successfully "Make Test Calls" and dial in to change area codes. I've tried EVERY 212 number with all sorts of new variations that I never needed to do in the past, the ol' *99 for Vonage, and , #034, or ,#019, stuff. I've tried the 800 numbers and some 646 numbers and some 914 numbers. The box is right next to the phone line now...a 6 foot phone line. The phone has dial tone, I've changed wire, I've tried our other phone line, etc.
ewolfram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #733
hayek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewolfram View Post
As stated, I am currently able to successfully "Make Test Calls" and dial in to change area codes.
I had the same behavior and it was corrected by repeating the guided setup (without deleting old settings/data). This has apparently not worked for others, which will leave the Tivo stuck in a guided setup loop until you revert to a backup image of your drive (assuming you have one), so attempt at your own risk.
hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #734
mpark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusso9 View Post
Thanks so much for posting your ticket number. We now have 4 open tickets listed. Thanks for the great letter, on my behalf
Ditto on the thanks to tujin. If another ticket will help, here's mine: 091210-000994.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #735
klon67

[quote=tujin;7690992]email sent today to Mark Roberts, SVP Engineering and Operations at TiVo, as well as Krista Wierzbicki, Director of Public Relations(OOF until 1/4):
Mark, I would like to bring to your attention an issue which has been gaining increasing attention in the community as more people have come to forums in search of answers to a common problem. Briefly, on or around December 6, a number of us with Series 1 units began to experience problems making program update calls. Many of us have had no success since then and have been weeks without program data. Symptoms have been identical across numerous subscribers, many of us lifetime, and all started occurring on or around 12/6.

TUJIN- Great post. Can you post the email addresses you sent to. I will be sending them a sililar email and I hope everyone with this problem sends them an email as well. If you have TIVO service call tracking numbers put them in your posts and send them off in your email as well. I am afraid that if the tivo box does not connect for a month they declare the service terminated.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #736
dbenrosen

Just wanted to follow up that my TiVo is now totally working. The first regularly scheduled call after my guided setup rerun was successful this morning at 3am and my guide data went out another day to Jan 11.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #737
dbenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by klon67 View Post
I am afraid that if the tivo box does not connect for a month they declare the service terminated.
According to an earlier post (I think by TivoJerry) as long as a connection is made the machine is considered active, so if you are getting the Service Unavailable error I think you are fine (in terms of service cancellation). Also, I think it is 6 months, not one month.

Even changing the dial up number would be a successful connection.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #738
Spidock1

Same problem as the rest on here , called Tivo again tonight and was told that nothing can be done until the engineers get back from holiday leave and that Monday Jan 4. Here is my serivce number 091226-001740, New York, Verizon and they even granted me authorization to there toll free 800 number (TFA=3) and still the same problem.
Spidock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:10 AM   #739
jrusso9

Thanks for posting your ticket numbers

I believe we are getting good traction on this problem. It is my bet that the engineers will make it a personal challenge to solve this problem and be a hero

Is it true that it is 2 machines fixed by using the guided set up and 2 suspended in an endless loop?
Old 12-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #740
tujin

Quote:
I believe we are getting good traction on this problem. It is my bet that the engineers will make it a personal challenge to solve this problem and be a hero

Is it true that it is 2 machines fixed by using the guided set up and 2 suspended in an endless loop?
That's what it would seem from the postings thus far.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #741
nastymage

Here's my trouble ticket number

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my last Daily Call was successful on Dec. 5. I called Phillips, my local phone company, and TiVo Tech Support on December 21. I have concluded that the problem is not with my Phillips Series 1 unit or my phone service. TiVo gave me this "trouble ticket" number: 091221-003518. It can be added to all the others with this same issue. So far I have had no luck in getting a single Daily Call to go through as I get the "Failed: Service unavailable" error every time (although Test Calls always are successful).

I have tried everything except "Clear and Delete Everything" because I don't want my TiVo unit to get stuck in permenent Guided Setup and TiVoJerry says that is "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".

I will wait until TiVoJerry returns from vacation on 1/12 to see if he can get the ball rolling at TiVo corporate, but if this isn't fixed by the end of January perhaps we should all consider a class action....
nastymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:57 PM   #742
dbenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastymage View Post
I have tried everything except "Clear and Delete Everything" because I don't want my TiVo unit to get stuck in permenent Guided Setup
Although YMMV, I was able to rerun guided setup and get my TiVo working without doing a Clear and Delete. I didn't lose anything.

So far, the score appears to be 2-2 on this method working/not working.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #743
jrusso9

I really hope they fix this problem before Jan. 12th. All the new shows start around that time. I can't believe I won't get the new shows of the new season. This really is not good. My family says just buy a new TIVO, but I won't buy anything TIVO again after this experience, I will just rent the comcast dvr.

Happy New Years
Old 01-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #744
jrusso9

Can't Find the thread

Hi. It seems as though the Series 1 can't download thread is gone from TIVO help. Could this be? Does this mean it is being buried or perhaps I just can't find it. Please keep this tread alive in the new year!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #745
mpark

Well, that's odd...

The good news is that today our TiVo made a successful daily call.

The bad news is that we didn't get any program data. Instead, we got a message telling us that some change at the cable company requires us to go through Guided Setup again.

Did this happen to anyone else?

I then initiated a daily call. It connected and downloaded data, then hung up and spent about ten minutes "loading data" (whatever that means). At the end of that, we still didn't have any program guide data, so I don't know what kind of data it downloaded and loaded.

I'll probably go through GS tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #746
klon67

Glad to hear MPARK had some success. I saw that the thread was missing yesterday but appears to be back now. I also thought they might be trying to surpress this thread. There are 25 pages of posts so I would expect we would get some attention soon.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #747
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpark View Post
The good news is that today our TiVo made a successful daily call.

The bad news is that we didn't get any program data. Instead, we got a message telling us that some change at the cable company requires us to go through Guided Setup again.

I then initiated a daily call. It connected and downloaded data, then hung up and spent about ten minutes "loading data" (whatever that means). At the end of that, we still didn't have any program guide data, so I don't know what kind of data it downloaded and loaded.

I'll probably go through GS tomorrow.
Even after the data is loaded, it will probably take several more hours to index and start showing up in your guide.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #748
mntvjunkie

Quote:
I really hope they fix this problem before Jan. 12th. All the new shows start around that time. I can't believe I won't get the new shows of the new season. This really is not good. My family says just buy a new TIVO, but I won't buy anything TIVO again after this experience, I will just rent the comcast dvr.

Happy New Years
Seriously? I mean, the box you are using is 10 years old, running on outdated technology, and you'd never buy a Tivo box again because it finally crapped out? So, you'd rather have paid (AT MINIMUM, assuming $10 a month for the box) $1200 for a Comcast DVR?

The life you got out of the box was pretty good. I'd take it as face value. I'm sure Tivo would work with you to get you a discount on a new box. I spent about $520 on a new box last may (with lifetime service). If I get 10 years out of the box, that would be a total cost of $52 PER YEAR for a DVR with service. If that number dropped to 5, I'd still only be paying $104 PER YEAR for the thing WITH service. In my area, assuming Comcast doesn't raise the price of the DVR over that 5 year period (unlikely would be putting it lightly), their box with reduced functionality would cost me $960 over 5 years. By my calculations, I only have to have the box for 3 years and I still would break even on the cost of owning vs renting.

My Series 2 is still kicking, and I bought that in December of 2004. 5 years later, and it's still running like it did the day I bought it. If you'd rather have Comcast's box, go for it, but don't blame it on this, blame it on your unwillingness to deal with the one shortcoming of product ownership. Nothing lasts forever.
mntvjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #749
bkc56
Designated Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpark View Post

Right after the first of the year (like the 2nd I think) we got messages on both our Series 1 Tivos about a cable lineup change. I had to go select a lineup and go through the "channels we receive" list to disable all the junk again. But it did NOT require running guided setup.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #750
tujin

Thumbs up Some progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Even after the data is loaded, it will probably take several more hours to index and start showing up in your guide.
I received a call from Tivo Executive Communications department and they indicated that an engineering change was made, and they asked me to check to see if the problem is resolved. Good news: I was able to complete the Guided Setup process and get back to the point where I could attempt to download program data. And, my unit successfully completed a call and downloaded data. I'm now in a state where the on-screen display says it will take 4-8 hours to process the data before I'll be able to select programs to record. (Disclaimer: I got all this secondhand from my wife, who is at the controls; I'm currently at work :^) )

Anyway, I'll report back tonight when I go home to confirm that the program data loaded successfully. Stay tuned...