TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #601
obanion

just a datapoint: I have an add-on network card in a Series1. Starting in December, calls failed consistantly. But it's been working fine again starting a few weeks back. Verizon FIOS (but doubt that matters).
obanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #602
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Is there much difference between QBINs TurboNet card and my cachecard? Weren't there early versions of cachecard or at least different versions? QBIN do you happen to know the exact hardware model or iteration of your turbonet card? Just trying to figure out why his is having problems beyond everyone else's.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #603
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Is there much difference between QBINs TurboNet card and my cachecard? Weren't there early versions of cachecard or at least different versions? QBIN do you happen to know the exact hardware model or iteration of your turbonet card? Just trying to figure out why his is having problems beyond everyone else's.
Just an FYI, his is not the only one. Mine is having nearly the same problems. And to make it even more confusing, I took it to my mothers friends who had Earthlink DSL and it connected fine 100% of the time. Whereas using it at my moms AT&T DSL, my Verizon DSL or at my work it fails 100% of the time.
dlee0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #604
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Since dlee0708 mentions 100% rates with different providers, I'd like to see information on which ISPs are being used that succeed and which that fail (please include approximate percentages). Clearly we're not blocking individual TSNs from connecting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #605
bittmann

AT&T DSL, here.

Seems to be rock-solid. I don't believe that I've had a single failure since the "firewall tweak" last month.

BittMann
bittmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #606
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee0708 View Post
Just an FYI, his is not the only one. Mine is having nearly the same problems. And to make it even more confusing, I took it to my mothers friends who had Earthlink DSL and it connected fine 100% of the time. Whereas using it at my moms AT&T DSL, my Verizon DSL or at my work it fails 100% of the time.
What version of the Turbonet card do you have? Is it the same version as QBIN's? I bought one long ago and it was replaced by a hardware revision. I later returned it to get a discount on a CacheCard which is working (Comcast).
Old 04-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #607
dlee0708

Quote:
What version of the Turbonet card do you have? Is it the same version as QBIN's? I bought one long ago and it was replaced by a hardware revision. I later returned it to get a discount on a CacheCard which is working (Comcast).
Not sure, when I get home tonight I will try and find out. What is the easy way to find out. Meaning is there a log file or will I have to open it up, which actually won't be a big deal see and how I must have taken the drives in out a hundred times over the past week (don't ask).
Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #608
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
Not sure, when I get home tonight I will try and find out. What is the easy way to find out. Meaning is there a log file or will I have to open it up, which actually won't be a big deal see and how I must have taken the drives in out a hundred times over the past week (don't ask).
There's a sticker on the actual card itself that tells you if it's 1.0 or whatever. I just remember there was an original, then a newer version, then the cachecard came out. They had different chipsets or hardware or something that had to be fixed.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #609
tubular031

I broke out the s1 the other day and both phone and internet failed. I have att for phones and suddenlink for isp. If you guys think that the ISP is part of it I can take it to work and call from there. we have a sprint full t3 fiber
tubular031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #610
rbird
uses tivo "wrong"

Successful call today! ISP is Cox Cable.

I hadn't gotten around to TivoJerry's suggestion of clearing thumbs or running GS yet.

Bob
rbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #611
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
I broke out the s1 the other day and both phone and internet failed. I have att for phones and suddenlink for isp. If you guys think that the ISP is part of it I can take it to work and call from there. we have a sprint full t3 fiber
All I can say is, I tried a ton of times trying to get my mom's S1 Tivo with TurboNet to connect (over AT&T DSL) and never even got to download stage unless I cleared the logs and even clearing the logs I never got a full download (not one single time out of probably 50 tries).

I then took exact same physical Tivo (all I did was unplug the cables) and took it to a friend of my mom's who has Earthlink DSL and it connected and downloaded successfully the 1st time, but then failed loading the series (which at the time I didn't know the kickstart to fix that).

I retried the download on the Earthlink DSL probably 10 times trying to see if it would get past the failed loading series and every single one connected fine and downloaded fine without one single failure (but unfortunately failed each time on the loading series phase).

So I think its worth a try to take it to work and see (although for me it didn't help taking it to my workplace).

Last edited by dlee0708 : 04-10-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #612
dlee0708

Quote:
There's a sticker on the actual card itself that tells you if it's 1.0 or whatever. I just remember there was an original, then a newer version, then the cachecard came out. They had different chipsets or hardware or something that had to be fixed.
It is Revision 2.2.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #613
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
It is Revision 2.2.
You have a later model than the original, so it should be very reliable and the software stable. At least we can check this hardware off the list of trouble spots. It's something else that is wrong, not your hardware. Something on the Tivo end.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #614
QBiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
Since dlee0708 mentions 100% rates with different providers, I'd like to see information on which ISPs are being used that succeed and which that fail (please include approximate percentages). Clearly we're not blocking individual TSNs from connecting.
Jerry, I'm using Verizon FiOS like Obanion. Apparently his started working again recently whereas I'm still dead in the water (at least dial-up appears to be all cleared up - thank G*d for external modems).
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini
QBiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #615
QBiN

Quote:
I haven't cracked mine open in since I installed the TurboNet, so I couldn't say. Jerry has coerced intermittent success from my unit in a couple of controlled engineering test scenarios, but nothing definitive yet. I believe they are still isolating the nature of those who are still failing.
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini
Old 04-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #616
MojoRilla

My series 1 is still only getting guide data every four days or so. Tivo, I paid for lifetime service. Now I'm getting barely any service. Remove your firewall so my device will work again, or allow me to freely transfer my service to a newer box that does work.
MojoRilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:55 AM   #617
dbranco

Mojorilla, have you tried sending your TSN (found on your Account screen) to TiVoJerry, so he can debug this problem for you? Once I did that, my service was restored within a relatively short period of time (2-3 weeks?)
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #618
dlee0708

Final update on my mothers old Series 1 Tivo with TurboNet. I finally got with my sister and I hooked it up to their ISP (Verizon Fios) and it downloaded fine without any failures.

To review it fails to work (never gets past the Connecting stage) on my mothers AT&T DSL (after Dec 3), my Verizon DSL and my employers internet (no idea what it is) and works perfectly (not one single failure) on Verizon Fios and Earthlink DSL. Although I guess I can't say for sure on Verizon Fios it works consistently because we haven't run it much, but it connected/download fine the first time, connected/download fine the 2nd time after we ran the Guided setup and the other few times it had to reconnect during the guided setup.

My mom decided to just give it to my sister and brother-in-law since it works fine for them and they could use it and any issues my brother-in-law could as easily deal with it as anyone since he has a Linux background and loves to fool around with this kind of stuff when he has time.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #619
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRilla View Post
My series 1 is still only getting guide data every four days or so. Tivo, I paid for lifetime service. Now I'm getting barely any service. Remove your firewall so my device will work again, or allow me to freely transfer my service to a newer box that does work.
Keep in mind that using a turbonet connection on a Series1 is not a configuration we ever created in the first place, and therefore do not officially support. Functionality for modified units cannot be guaranteed, but rest assured that we are still working on this issue. If we can find a way to fully resolve this for you without compromising our business, security, or service to unmodified units in the field, we will do our best to do so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:39 AM   #620
Outraegis

I know I'm coming in late to this party, but I only just found out about the problem a few days ago, completed some tests, and then read all 21 pages of the forum.

Short answer: Tivo S1 with TurboNet doesn't work as of now.

Details: We gave my parents one of my lifetime service S1's a few years ago. They connect over TurboNet. They live in a complex with ancient phone wiring, so the only way it'll work is over the net. Don't know their ISP (and neither do they, apparently).

They are physically quite a distance away, but I was able to Remote Assistance my way into their PC, and from the PC telnet into their Tivo. I verified that their Tivo could ping and traceroute to the usual suspects (Google, Microsoft, etc), which confirmed that they have a working wiring setup and working network connection, working IP address, working routing, and all that stuff.

They cannot make a daily call or a test call. I do not know how long this has been going on because they're in their 80s and "it doesn't work" is all the diagnostic information they've provided.

I have not tried deleting logs and reconnecting because there are logistics involved in getting them to sit still long enough to enable a Remote Assistance connection, but I'll try to do so by the weekend.

Bottom line: at least for these Turbonet users, the problem has not been solved as of Saturday April 25.

And, Jerry, thanks for being willing to support turbonet. Lots of manufacturers are completely unsupportive of modded machines. That said, I got parents complaining, so I'd sure appreciate it if you'd keep this issue open and resolve it.

My only other alternative is a new box and monthly service and they're not going to pay for either (and I sure as heck can't right now)

-- Raegis
Sony Series 1, 183 hours, Turbonet
*1 dead, 1 retired, 1 in-use
Outraegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #621
johnhartshorn

I just switched from dialup to turbonet today. I was able to successfully make a test call and make a normal call via IP. (WOW! this is fast now ).

This was only a couple of days worth of guide data, but I had no problems at all.

Turbonet (9thTee)
Cisco Linksys WRT54S router
CASS Communications cable
(Motorola SB5101 SURFboard cable modem)

Next up, to give the cable company the bad news I no longer need their VOIP phone service.

John Hartshorn
Phillips Series 1 HDR212 w/lifetime, unmodified other than TURBONet card added.

Last edited by johnhartshorn : 05-01-2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: More information
johnhartshorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #622
spaceboytom
Tivo Since 2001

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboytom View Post
I called Tivo today to report my Sony series 1 wasn't connecting, but it looks like it finally completed a call yesterday (the 20th). I was getting concerned because my lifetime was on the series one and my series 2 and series 3 are on MSD. In case you are unaware, if your lifetime unit does not connect at least once every 90 days, Tivo will drop your MSD rate.
Logging into my account today it looks like my MSD may have been dropped. I guess I'll call Monday and see what is up.

SBT

Sony Series 1
TurboNet Card
Netgear Router
AT&T DSL

Last edited by spaceboytom : 05-02-2009 at 11:05 PM.
spaceboytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:42 AM   #623
spaceboytom
Tivo Since 2001

OK, after almost 5 months since my last fully successful call, I telneted into my Tivo tonight and deleted the log files. Sure enough, my first attempt to call into Tivo worked!

Also, confirmed with Tivo the my MSD is still in place.

I hope they offer the lifetime service transfer again someday...

Last edited by spaceboytom : 05-07-2009 at 11:25 PM.
spaceboytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #624
vjquan

TivoJerry,

Is this a done deal? Are you guys still working on a permanent solution? Just wondering since it's been fairly quiet on this thread and my "Getting Account Status" still takes several minutes meaning that logging is still on. Mine has been working reliably. Will this be turned off?
vjquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #625
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

vjquan, logging has not been on for the phone-connected units like yours for awhile.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #626
vjquan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
vjquan, logging has not been on for the phone-connected units like yours for awhile.
Good to know... my mistake.
vjquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #627
QBiN

From my latest look at the tcpdumps I recently took. It appears that three things are sent from the S1 to TiVo before you start downloading guide data:

1) S1 uploads (HTTP POST) mlog.cgi - Looks like it contains system log information
2) S1 uploads TCD411.cgi - This looks like it reports your TSN and your location information
3) S1 uploads HServer.cgi - This looks like it contains TV viewing data

If all this is successful, the Tivo reponds (in it response to the POST of HServer.cgi) with your account status, pointers for the TiVo to update it's time (via NTP), and all the links necessary to download guide data and any new software/data packages that needs to be downloaded.

So far, I've seen that if the S1 is going to fall, it fails at Step1. It appears that during the upload of mlog.cgi, the S1 eventually stops seeing acknowledgments for previous packets from the TiVo service. The S1 will repeatedly retransmit the packets hoping to recover the session. After an extended period of silence from the TiVo service, the service will suddenly issue a "HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error". This errors typically means the server encountered an error processing your data -- either it is a server software problem or the server couldn't parse your data (corrupted along the way or something similar).

At this point, I still leave open the possibility that it could be either network or server/application issues on TiVo's side based on the data... but other possibilities may still be out there.
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini

Last edited by QBiN : 05-23-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #628
jmiranda

I dont know if this will help anyone, about 1 month ago I was having issues with comcast so i messed with every setting trying to make my general internet stable.

One setting i played with was MTU i reduced it to 700 to see if smaller packets would help my problem. Comcast eventuly fixed the problem on their end but i forgot to change the router back.

I didnt notice till today that my Series 1 with Turbonet card had stopped downloaded data around the same time.

I spent an 1 hour trying everything suggested in the forum. I was about to give up when i remembered the mtu settting was 700 and the intial packet was 1400. I set the router MTU back to 1500 and it works. I set the routrer MTU to 700 and it doesnt work.

So if your ISP has MTU setting smaller 1500 you may have similiar issues.
jmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #629
aljesk

Tivo fails loading series

So, is it me or is there not a solution to this problem in obtaining guide data?

My Series 1 has only ever had a HDD upgrade, and my tel con with the sky/tivo agent said that i needed to put the very small HDD back into service and see if that helps.

Reluctent to do so as my larger HDD 160GB has a fair few programmes on it.

If anyone has solved this, appreciate being pointed in right direction.

Have tried Guided setup, the '58' remote key press/restart.

All i want is some guide data

Alex
aljesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #630
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljesk View Post
So, is it me or is there not a solution to this problem in obtaining guide data?

My Series 1 has only ever had a HDD upgrade, and my tel con with the sky/tivo agent said that i needed to put the very small HDD back into service and see if that helps.

Reluctent to do so as my larger HDD 160GB has a fair few programmes on it.

If anyone has solved this, appreciate being pointed in right direction.

Have tried Guided setup, the '58' remote key press/restart.

All i want is some guide data

Alex
Are you in the UK? If so, asking this question in the TiVo UK forum will probably get a lot more informative results.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote