TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #571
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

We made a change to some firewall code that seems to have resolved the main issue, so any of you still deleting logs should take a break and see if calls work normally now. Units that weren't connecting beforehand started to connect once we pointed them to a server that was isolated just to test their connections. We then made the change to the regular servers and pointed the units back and they still connected normally. This change would've then applied to any unit in the field for about the least week or so.

Since some units are only allowed by their owner to connect once a week, we're still keeping an eye on a few other units just to be sure but it looks like we have this conquered. Anyone with a Series1 that is still attempting to connect regularly and failing for "server unavailable" or "call interrupted" should make sure all regular troubleshooting (below) has been performed before sending me their TSN.

--Phone connections via Voice Over IP (Comcast Digital, Vonage, etc) are not supported and not expected to work (more power to you if it does but it's too hard to determine if VOIP is/isn't the main problem)
--Make sure DVR is dialing the correct number of digits (7, 10 or 11)
--Try connecting to other numbers
--Turn off both detections
--Remove any splitters
--Try a new phone cord
--Try using a different phone jack
--If using DSL, make sure you're using a filter. If you are, try using a different one. 4 or less total filters being used in the home, other there is a cumulative dampening effect.
--If you're this far down the list, disconnect ALL other phone devices temporarily and try again.
--At this point, I recommend a location test. People hate it, but it's best to try and take the DVR away from that environment to see if it can connect (keeping in mind the peculiarities of the new environment)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #572
ditch
Couch PoTiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
We made a change to some firewall code that seems to have resolved the main issue, so any of you still deleting logs should take a break and see if calls work normally now. Units that weren't connecting beforehand started to connect once we pointed them to a server that was isolated just to test their connections. We then made the change to the regular servers and pointed the units back and they still connected normally. This change would've then applied to any unit in the field for about the least week or so.

Since some units are only allowed by their owner to connect once a week, we're still keeping an eye on a few other units just to be sure but it looks like we have this conquered. Anyone with a Series1 that is still attempting to connect regularly and failing for "server unavailable" or "call interrupted" should make sure all regular troubleshooting (below) has been performed before sending me their TSN.

--Phone connections via Voice Over IP (Comcast Digital, Vonage, etc) are not supported and not expected to work (more power to you if it does but it's too hard to determine if VOIP is/isn't the main problem)
--Make sure DVR is dialing the correct number of digits (7, 10 or 11)
--Try connecting to other numbers
--Turn off both detections
--Remove any splitters
--Try a new phone cord
--Try using a different phone jack
--If using DSL, make sure you're using a filter. If you are, try using a different one. 4 or less total filters being used in the home, other there is a cumulative dampening effect.
--If you're this far down the list, disconnect ALL other phone devices temporarily and try again.
--At this point, I recommend a location test. People hate it, but it's best to try and take the DVR away from that environment to see if it can connect (keeping in mind the peculiarities of the new environment)
THANK YOU!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wii: 0008-7364-1331-4623
ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #573
HerronScott

TiVoJerry,

Can you give us any details as to what the firewall change was? Curious what would only affect the series 1 units unless you have them going to different servers (and firewall) from the other models.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #574
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

I don't know the specifics. Even if I did have all the exacting details, I'm not sure I could/should give them out.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 AM   #575
dbranco

Jerry, you and your team are the BEST!

THANK YOU!!!!

Deb
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #576
BobCamp1

I have been part of the "unofficial beta". I gave TivoJerry my TSN. I've had at least 15 successes in a row. I would need another 25 or so before I'd know for certain, but it does appear to be fixed.

Thanks!
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #577
SleepyBob

Great news! I'll definitely be booting up my Series 1 again and seeing if I start getting through now.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #578
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

For all the calories burned fixing this they could have updated the software.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:36 AM   #579
jstenback

Quote:
Hi TiVoJerry,

I've been silently following this thread since I found it several weeks ago when looking for possible reasons why my series 1 suddenly stopped being able to reliably download channel data. In my case it started in December of last year, got worse and worse and by January or so it completely stopped working. The modem in my TiVo gave up over a year ago, and since then I've been connection through a network card I installed in the TiVo, and that's been working great until last December when this all started.

I just wanted to verify that the firewall changes you describe above were also supposed to affect people who connect over the internet as well, not just for modem users? If that's the case, then it seems like there's still problems, either on TiVo's end, or something local for me. Test calls consistently succeed here, daily calls consistently fail with "Service unavailable". If worst comes to worst, or if it's useful data for anyone still debugging this, I can drag my TiVo to a different location and try a completely different network setup, but given that test calls consistently succeed, and the network seems healthy here in general, it seems unlikely to be something specific to my network here. If my TSN or any other data I can share about my TiVo is useful in any way I'm happy to PM that to you.

Thanks for all the patient debugging you guys have already done, and please let me know if there's still hope in my case as well.

--
Johnny
jstenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #580
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Yes, the changes should apply regardless of connection type. A PM with your TSN is the only way I'm going to be able to look into things further. We'll probably have to coordinate a few connection times so we can look specifically for your attempts.

It would've been useful to have this information earlier. If there are any other lurkers out there still having an issue, now is the time to speak up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstenback View Post
Hi TiVoJerry,

I've been silently following this thread since I found it several weeks ago when looking for possible reasons why my series 1 suddenly stopped being able to reliably download channel data. In my case it started in December of last year, got worse and worse and by January or so it completely stopped working. The modem in my TiVo gave up over a year ago, and since then I've been connection through a network card I installed in the TiVo, and that's been working great until last December when this all started.

I just wanted to verify that the firewall changes you describe above were also supposed to affect people who connect over the internet as well, not just for modem users? If that's the case, then it seems like there's still problems, either on TiVo's end, or something local for me. Test calls consistently succeed here, daily calls consistently fail with "Service unavailable". If worst comes to worst, or if it's useful data for anyone still debugging this, I can drag my TiVo to a different location and try a completely different network setup, but given that test calls consistently succeed, and the network seems healthy here in general, it seems unlikely to be something specific to my network here. If my TSN or any other data I can share about my TiVo is useful in any way I'm happy to PM that to you.

Thanks for all the patient debugging you guys have already done, and please let me know if there's still hope in my case as well.

--
Johnny

Old 03-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #581
QBiN

Quote:
If there are any other lurkers out there still having an issue, now is the time to speak up.
Jerry, it appears my dial-up calls are working at least most of the time (haven't caught an error), but trying to revert back to the TurboNet card using backdoor code ",#401" isn't. Connections via TurboNet had been working reliably prior to 12/2/08. I recently sent you my TSN via PM.

Here's a snippet of my tclient log during the failure of a test call:

Mar 26 02:31:30 (none) comm[132]: Uploading HTTP Header for modLog of /var/log/svclog: POST /tivo-service/mlog.cgi HTTP/1.0^M Content-Length: 2065^M ^M
Mar 26 02:34:18 (none) WatchdogAction[131]: WatchdogAction::Trigger: callActive for 900 interval-secs
Mar 26 02:34:27 (none) comm[132]: XferRqst timeout waiting to read
Mar 26 02:36:35 (none) comm[132]: drainGetPostQ: doXfer failed err=65535 (0xffff)
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini
QBiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #582
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Aside from QBiN, I've rec'd 3 PM's from turbonetters unable to connect. Keep the reports coming.

One person happens to live nearby and may be letting me borrow his turbonet unit to see if the issue is with his satellite connection or not.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #583
QBiN

Just confirmed it. My S1 appears to be working via dial-up (external modem... internal died long ago) apparently everytime.

However, trying to revert back to the TurboNet card still fails. I can't even complete the test call unless I delete the contents of "/var/log". However, clearing the logs doesn't help the Daily Call any. That still fails regardless. Rebooting the S1 and/or my home router doesn't help.
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini
Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #584
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBiN View Post
Rebooting the S1 and/or my home router doesn't help.
Did you try a cold reboot? Completely unplug it and plug it back in? When alternating between modem and network card setup it is required.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #585
QBiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Did you try a cold reboot? Completely unplug it and plug it back in? When alternating between modem and network card setup it is required.
It has not been my experience in the past that a cold reboot is required when switching daily-call methods. Nonetheless, I did perform a cold-reboot after reverting to the TurboNet and before the next attempt at a Daily Call with no success.
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini

Last edited by QBiN : 03-28-2009 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #586
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
It has not been my experience in the past that a cold reboot is required when switching daily-call methods. Nonetheless, I did perform a cold-reboot after reverting to the TurboNet and before the next attempt at a Daily Call with no success.
Does the Tivo show up as a DCHP client on your router? If not try rerunning the configuration program for the Turbonet so that it obtains an IP via DHCP.

The Tivo may not show up as a client until you make a test connection. Don't try the daily call until the Tivo shows up as a client. If you can't see it on your router -- you don't have a connection to the Internet so the problem is the setup on the Tivo.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #587
QBiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Does the Tivo show up as a DCHP client on your router? If not try rerunning the configuration program for the Turbonet so that it obtains an IP via DHCP.

The Tivo may not show up as a client until you make a test connection. Don't try the daily call until the Tivo shows up as a client. If you can't see it on your router -- you don't have a connection to the Internet so the problem is the setup on the Tivo.
I've exhausted all the basic troubleshooting steps looong ago. DHCP is working fine. The lease is handed out to the TurboNet with 3days in the lease offer. TurboNet test connections only work if "/var/log" is cleared. The daily calls are dying at the POST of the svclog if you read my post a few back. There appears to be nothing wrong with Layers1-3 as everything works through the 3-way handshake up until that POST.

I've exhausted all the basic troubleshooting steps looong ago. The recent recent firewall changes Jerry has mentioned seem to work fine for the external modem, just not the TurboNet calls.

Of the folks still not working on TurboNet, what's your ISP? Mine is Verizon FiOS.
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini
Old 03-31-2009, 06:59 PM   #588
QBiN

Any Takers? Any TurboNet users still not completing daily calls?
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini
Old 03-31-2009, 10:11 PM   #589
coznkaos

I'm on Insight Cable. Mine seems to have completed a call today, but it's been "Loading Data" hours now and doesn't show a percentage. I'm going to let it sit overnight hoping that it's going to take a while since it hasn't gotten an update in months.
coznkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:58 AM   #590
startertips8420

I don't use Tivo services. so i don't have much knowledge about series 1. I just gone through from few post of Tivo and got good enough knowledge about tivo. Thank you for putting your thoughts so precisely.

Last edited by Mike Lang : 04-01-2009 at 06:10 AM.
startertips8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #591
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by coznkaos View Post
I'm on Insight Cable. Mine seems to have completed a call today, but it's been "Loading Data" hours now and doesn't show a percentage. I'm going to let it sit overnight hoping that it's going to take a while since it hasn't gotten an update in months.
It does that when it's waiting to reboot due to the DST fix.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #592
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coznkaos View Post
ggieseke is correct. If the DVR did not manage to restart on its own last night and is still "loading", restart it yourself. You may then need to make another connection to download guide data. I ran into this at my desk yesterday while testing a turbonet unit that hadn't connected in months.

Depending on your perspective, it is unfortunate that it connected from my desk on the first try.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #593
rbird
uses tivo "wrong"

Just another data point...recently resurrected my ages old Series 1 (Philips 112) with lifetime because my multi-service discount had disappeared due to it not calling in. Unit has turbonet. Calls complete fine, but it fails while loading series (Load_To_DB). Tried the kickstart posted in this thread yesterday and it still won't complete. In my case, though, I think I'm all right because all I need to do is get it to communicate with Tivo to reinstate my multi-service discount. It's not currently hooked to a programming source anyway.

Bob
rbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #594
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbird View Post
Just another data point...recently resurrected my ages old Series 1 (Philips 112) with lifetime because my multi-service discount had disappeared due to it not calling in. Unit has turbonet. Calls complete fine, but it fails while loading series (Load_To_DB). Tried the kickstart posted in this thread yesterday and it still won't complete. In my case, though, I think I'm all right because all I need to do is get it to communicate with Tivo to reinstate my multi-service discount. It's not currently hooked to a programming source anyway.

Bob
For the purpose of maintaining your MSD, a call to the service every few months should be all that that is needed. Don't go over 6.

If you completed KS 57 and the DVR recovers but still can't complete the call for the same reason (S03), there are two things for you to try (if you care to have the call complete successfully):
1> Delete Thumb Ratings. Each thumb ties down an exponential amount of data objects (actors, genre, etc). The number of objects tied down will increase if you have a large channel lineup (sat+cable, Dish, etc) even if you mark the channels as not being received
2> If that doesn't work, and you are indeed set up for a large headend, Repeat Guided Setup for a smaller headend.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:41 AM   #595
coznkaos

Quote:
ggieseke is correct. If the DVR did not manage to restart on its own last night and is still "loading", restart it yourself. You may then need to make another connection to download guide data. I ran into this at my desk yesterday while testing a turbonet unit that hadn't connected in months.

Depending on your perspective, it is unfortunate that it connected from my desk on the first try.
I didn't have to restart the receiver myself; it completed the loading of the data on its own but I left it running overnight. I now have guide data and immediately made another call which also completed...yay!
coznkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #596
mortoncats

My updates stopped on 12/3/08. Installed a Turbonet 6-8 weeks prior to this and was receiving updates without a problem. Read about others having issues on this forum and set the Series 1 in the closet. I recently ordered an HD DVR from Comcast af ter upgrading to digital service and just this week got emailed from this thread that Series 1 issues were resolved. I am still receiving (Failed. Service unavailable) after Guided Setup tries connecting for about 3-4 minutes. Any help would be appreciated as my wife hates the Comcast DVR.
mortoncats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #597
QBiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortoncats View Post
Any help would be appreciated as my wife hates the Comcast DVR.
Amen, brotha. Most of the Motorola DVR boxes use generic firmware that just plain stinks.

I can't speak for TivoJerry, but I do know they are still weeding through the remaining issues and are collecting more data points on them everyday.
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini
Old 04-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #598
QBiN

As a quick update, Jerry has been kind enough to work with me to try some different things for the TurboNet users who are still stuck. He has collected some very interesting data points for cases where S1 TurboNet calls complete reliably versus when they don't (and we have gotten TurboNet calls to go through successfully).

So for those S1 TurboNet users, take heart. They are still looking into it.

It is my personal opinion from what I've observed, it is not our TurboNet's that have conveniently (sarcasm) broke at the same time the other dial-up problems occurred. And while TiVo has no responsibility to ensure TurboNet users are working, the circumstances point to a change in the TiVo infrastructure, not us TurboNet users. I applaud them and Jerry specifically for continuing to try to do right by us.

If you have traditional modem dial-up (internal or external) daily calls as an option, that should keep your guide data current until the remaining issues are sorted out.
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini
Old 04-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #599
dlee0708

Quote:
As a quick update, Jerry has been kind enough to work with me to try some different things for the TurboNet users who are still stuck. He has collected some very interesting data points for cases where S1 TurboNet calls complete reliably versus when they don't (and we have gotten TurboNet calls to go through successfully).
I finally got a chance to play with my Mother's old Series 1 Tivo at my house and it is unable to make a successful call on my Verizon DSL also. Getting the exact same response on my mothers DSL (sends 1 small packet fine the next large packet no response).

Then I did a really dumb thing and did a kickstart without being able to connect and it got stuck forever. I have now reloaded from a backup and got it back to where I had it. Will probably try it from work to see if I can get a connection like I had at my mothers friends.

But I am curious as to what you did to get a connection to go thru.
dlee0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #600
QBiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee0708
I am curious as to what you did to get a connection to go thru.
I don't think TivoJerry would appreciate my divulging the tests he tried with me. More over, I can't be certain they'd be applicable to everyone's situation. They may do more harm than good. Nonetheless, I believe they are on the right track towards getting this resolved. The evidence that this is still a TiVo issue is undeniable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee0708 View Post
I finally got a chance to play with my Mother's old Series 1 Tivo at my house and it is unable to make a successful call on my Verizon DSL also. Getting the exact same response on my mothers DSL (sends 1 small packet fine the next large packet no response).
Ok, this is important. All TurboNET S1 users that are still dead, SPEAK UP. PM TivoJerry. Keep opening tickets w/ Tivo customer support. Keep posting here.

If Tivo is lead to believe that all dial-up users are fixed and the turboNet problems starting the same day are coincidental or unrelated, then we'll begin to be seen as a minor or fringe problem that they are not obligated to help or put forth any more effort than they have. Make it known this is still a TiVo created issue and not a TurboNet issue, per se.
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini

Last edited by QBiN : 04-06-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: typo