TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #541
vjquan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbranco View Post
Really?? I heard there were very specific conditions for a lifetime transfer - such as date your S1 was purchased (prior to 2000?), etc.
That may be true - mine was activated early 2000. I don't know what the cutoff date is, but it couldn't hurt to ask.
vjquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #542
vjquan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mec1991 View Post
The new problem is that ever since then it has failed with an unknown error during the getting account status part. It never gets past that stage, just stays there for what seems an eternity then fails. The test calls go through perfectly.

Any ideas?
It does take what seems like forever to get beyond the "getting account status". It used to be fairly quick, but now it's like 5-10 minutes, but eventually does get past it. I wonder if it has something to do with solving the update problems... maybe TivoJerry can chime in.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #543
beejay

"Getting account status" is when the DVR transmits log files to TiVo. It is possible that they have turned on some additional logging for DVRs which have been reported. Or it may just be that if you haven't made a successful connnection for a while, the logs are going to be longer than normal.

(Just guessing...I may be completely wrong here.)

Edited to add:

But as TivoJerry confirms below, I seem to have gotten it right.
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by beejay : 03-09-2009 at 10:14 PM.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #544
BobCamp1

It's been working the past 6 times for me. So if you haven't tried it in a while, try it now.

I once got 3 weeks of guide data after one call. After the next call, I didn't get any more guide data but I also got the "unknown error". It now has around 12 days of guide data, and no weird error messages.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #545
SleepyBob

I set mine back up this weekend, and still no luck after 8 tries. Every time I try to call in, I get "Failed. Can't connect". It never gets past the "dialing" row. Was this the typical failure message?

Is there a way for me to test if my modem is even working? I have a stock TiVo with no Turbonet or anything.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #546
bittmann

If the phone dials and dies in under a minute (from the time that it starts to connect until the failure message), it's probably a matter of your TiVo simply having trouble establishing a phone link. If, however, it takes 5+ minutes to get from "connecting" to "failure", that could be a version of the problem that we've been experiencing, here.

That *could* be a bad dialin number (seems that the service provider that TiVo uses has changed a bunch of access numbers recently). You might see if you have any alternate phone numbers to try...worst thing that could happen is that it doesn't make any difference.

BittMann
bittmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #547
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
I set mine back up this weekend, and still no luck after 8 tries. Every time I try to call in, I get "Failed. Can't connect". It never gets past the "dialing" row. Was this the typical failure message?

Is there a way for me to test if my modem is even working? I have a stock TiVo with no Turbonet or anything.
First thing I would do is look at what your Dial-in number is and manually dial it on a phone and see if you are at least getting a modem connection on the other end (high pitched noise that will change tones once I think).
dlee0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #548
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjquan View Post
It does take what seems like forever to get beyond the "getting account status". It used to be fairly quick, but now it's like 5-10 minutes, but eventually does get past it. I wonder if it has something to do with solving the update problems... maybe TivoJerry can chime in.
For those of you who sent me your TSN, part of the testing involves turning on logging for you. Logs are transmitted to us during the "getting account status" phase. Log size will vary from unit to unit depending on what's been going on (TiVo: "Dear diary, I've had a busy day....") and how quick your transfer rate is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #549
SleepyBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee0708 View Post
First thing I would do is look at what your Dial-in number is and manually dial it on a phone and see if you are at least getting a modem connection on the other end (high pitched noise that will change tones once I think).
The phone number it is dialing definitely has a modem on the other end. I tried selecting a new number, but it tries to dial in and get the new numbers, and that call fails, too. I'm not sure if it is sitting for 5+ minutes, but definitely more than a minute or two.

Plus, I have Vonage, which I'm sure doesn't help anything.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #550
badcrc
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjquan View Post
That may be true - mine was activated early 2000. I don't know what the cutoff date is, but it couldn't hurt to ask.
The cutoff date is 01/21/2000. Any series 1 purchased on or before that date can be transferred one time for free to a new tivo. Unfortunately I have three S1s that are within 6-10 months of that date. I think tivo should unveil the Tivo Stimulus Package (TSP) and make a full scale effort to get all S1s retired at this point by offering various discounts. I have no problem giving tivo some more money so they don't go in the hole, but they should really consider giving $100 discounts per every S1 with lifetime you retire or something.

I bought three S1s to start with so I could record three shows at the same time. With TivoHD and the multiple tuner capability that's not necessary anymore. In my case if I wanted to purchase a new TivoHD with lifetime it would cost $299 (box) + $299 (lifetime w/msd) = 598. That's way too much for me at the moment. The Tivo Stimulus Package would give me $300 to retire all three tivos, I could get the TivoHD for $299 with lifetime, it would be getting guide updates over broadband, tivo would have three less S1s dialing in costing them money, I would be saving space, and we'd be using a lot less electricity (are we for going green or what tivojerry?). Someone turning in a single S1 would get a TivoHD with lifetime for $498 (or $598 depending on how tivo wants to incorporate the multi service discount) or a TivoHD for $299 with a free year of service, and so on.

Lets end this madness and get everyone into the digital age! Who's with me?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #551
vjquan

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcrc View Post
The cutoff date is 01/21/2000. Any series 1 purchased on or before that date can be transferred one time for free to a new tivo. Unfortunately I have three S1s that are within 6-10 months of that date.
Hmmmm... my activation date was 2/9/2000. The last time I spoke to a CR a few months ago, he said that I was eligible for the free transfer. Of course, that may all change when I call to talk to a different CR.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #552
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
The phone number it is dialing definitely has a modem on the other end. I tried selecting a new number, but it tries to dial in and get the new numbers, and that call fails, too. I'm not sure if it is sitting for 5+ minutes, but definitely more than a minute or two.

Plus, I have Vonage, which I'm sure doesn't help anything.
Ohhh, you got that right. With the hit-and-miss problems problems the S1's having with connections plus the hit-and-miss problems modem connections over Vonage have, that it really going to make things fun trying to figure out where the problem is.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #553
joeysmith

vonage

did the connection thru vonage ever work? the modem in the S1 is 14.4k if i recall. probably won't even get that speed thru vonage.

i think the new dial-in number issue is a big part of the problem. second part of it is the dialin to get new numbers which also fails, something i experienced first hand while testing the dialups. i only managed to get the new dialins via my turbonet connection.
joeysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #554
Brad516

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansand1 View Post
For what it's worth, our house has two S1s. Both experienced the disconnect/call failed problem for a couple of months; it seemed like a successful call would occur like only one out of eight times.

Well, as of about two weeks ago or so, the problem has stopped. Both of our TiVos are calling through successfully all of the time now. We didn't do anything at all on our side to fix it (though I did submit our TSNs to TiVoJerry).

I can't speak for anyone else, and there's no guarantee the problem suddenly won't start happening again, but I can say that for now, the problem has ceased for some reason.

Same here. After being told of all the things that must be wrong on my end, now it's working. I wonder what I did to fix it?

Brad516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #555
QBiN

Turns out (for me at least) that deleting the logs files in "/var/log/" doesn't always do the trick. In fact, it rarely does. It seems inconsistent and I don't see any rhyme nor reason as to when it works vs. when it doesn't. I can say this, though: Since 12/2/2008 I had not had a single TurboNet Daily call work until I deleted the logs. However, external modem dial-up has had a slim (1 out 10) success rate all along... just barely enough to keep the guide data current.
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini
QBiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #556
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Deleting the logs will fix things only in the sense that it shortens the duration of the call to Tivo which seems to want to time out early or end quickly which causes the problem. The presence of or the contents of the log files aren't the problem IMHO.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #557
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
For those of you who sent me your TSN, part of the testing involves turning on logging for you. Logs are transmitted to us during the "getting account status" phase. Log size will vary from unit to unit depending on what's been going on (TiVo: "Dear diary, I've had a busy day....") and how quick your transfer rate is.
Ah, thanks for the info.

The little one says the failed unknown error message has stopped and it eventually does get past the getting account status if she leaves it alone. (She's getting as nutty as her dad. )

And just as important, those line unavailable errors have stopped as well.
mec1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #558
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Deleting the logs will fix things only in the sense that it shortens the duration of the call to Tivo which seems to want to time out early or end quickly which causes the problem. The presence of or the contents of the log files aren't the problem IMHO.
This may not be in disagreement with your post, but at least to clarify from my point of view. The log files do seem to make a HUGE difference if you have big log files on the Tivo. My mothers Tivo log file is over 100K now and her Tivo has not made one single successful call since Dec 2nd or 3rd. Whatever the problem is, large log files on the Tivo can cause a Tivo to become a doorstop.

I am sure the problem is sending a large packet to TivoInc. From the packet sniffer you can see everything stop as soon as a large packet is sent to TivoInc. (I've posted the packet traces in this thread if anyone cares to see).

Finally this weekend I am able to take a day off and travel to my mom's and get telnet enabled and delete that log file so she can finally have a DVR back again.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #559
QBiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
"Yeah, I'm going to have to.. uhh... disagree with you there." -Lumberg

When I've tailed and followed the logs or watched the progress, mine always dies at the POST of the svclog.upload file using HTTP/1.0... Always. Based on my observations, it doesn't seem like the S1 is arbitrarily timing out early. Rather, there appears to be some sort of back-end failure during this POST operation. The failure occurs with a timeout after a prolonged wait to see if the POST finishes, which it never does.
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini
Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #560
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBiN View Post
"Yeah, I'm going to have to.. uhh... disagree with you there." -Lumberg

When I've tailed and followed the logs or watched the progress, mine always dies at the POST of the svclog.upload file using HTTP/1.0... Always. Based on my observations, it doesn't seem like the S1 is arbitrarily timing out early. Rather, there appears to be some sort of back-end failure during this POST operation. The failure occurs with a timeout after a prolonged wait to see if the POST finishes, which it never does.
And that's why deleting svclog and making it directory rather than a file makes the phone whole transaction work without error - at least for me.
cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #561
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

For those of you who sent me a TSN and are deleting logs, can you try normal connections without log deletion for a few days and let me know the result? We're testing improvements and would like to reduce any skewing. Thanks!

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #562
QBiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
For those of you who sent me a TSN and are deleting logs, can you try normal connections without log deletion for a few days and let me know the result? We're testing improvements and would like to reduce any skewing. Thanks!
Still dying at the POST of the svclog.upload file via TurboNet. Dial-Up is working about 25% of the time.

From /var/log/tclient:
Mar 15 02:10:02 (none) comm[132]: Uploading HTTP Header for modLog of /var/log/svclog: POST /tivo-service/mlog.cgi HTTP/1.0^M Content-Length: 1621^M ^M
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini
Old 03-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #563
dlee0708

Thought I would just bump this thread with some info. I never could get my mom's S1 Tivo with TurboNet to complete a connection. If I cleared the logs it would go way way farther, but never completed with success, always fail with the Interrupted error. To review, without clearing the logs it was

1. Send small packet (63-64 bytes).
2. Get response from TivoServer.
3. Send 1640 byte packet
4. No response from TivoServer.
5. Resend 1640 byte packet.
6. No response from TivoServer.

Step 5 and 6 would repeat until it finally gave up (like 5 minutes later).

Now, when I clear the logs I would see tons of packets going back and forth, for a few minutes, but eventually it would timeout trying to send a 1640 byte packet (everytime it was trying to send the updatesvc.log, it must be using that file to update the TivoServer as to what has transpired during the download or something, because it is continually sending that file back up to TivoServer during the connection).

I looked at the packets during the transmission (when I cleared the logs) and it was successfully sending large amounts of data to the TivoServer, but they were all 1612 byte packets and not 1640 byte packets. I tried over and over hoping it would eventually succeed, but could never get it to succeed like others on this forum have been able to do.

I then took her S1 Tivo to a friend of hers who has OneMain DSL (originally was Earthlink before being bought) and hooked up the Tivo and bam, success on the 1st attempt. Completed the download just fine with no hitches, except after completing the download, it failed with an error while trying to load the data. I tried like 10 times and each time the download was successful (0 failures during the download) but the loading of the data always failed. I imagine if I re-ran the Guided setup or restored the backup and reconnected on her friends DSL it would have been fine, but then I would have to re-hack it to get the big drive back and it still probably wouldn't work on my mom's AT&T DSL. Time was getting short and I really needed to get my mom a DVR back in business, so we drove to the city and picked up a new S2 Tivo and we came back and I hooked it up and it downloaded just fine. Hate it that she is now having to add another monthly bill on her fixed income, but she does now have Dual Tuner which makes it worth it and she is definitely happy now.

One other thing (among many others) I tried was setting the MTU size on the linux ethernet interface to 1612, but it was still sending 1640 byte packets, so I am not sure what I am missing there. It could be that I needed to take the interface down and up again, but if I took the interface down my telnet connection would be gone and wouldn't be able to bring it back up. If I had the time I would have tried more, but there just wasn't enough time so I didn't get a chance. I brought the S1 Tivo with me and I am sure it will work fine on my Verizon DSL, but I think I will set it up and see if I can get it to transmit 1612 MTU like it should have and send it back to her and my brother will be up there in April and I will see if I can get him to hook it up and I will see what happens.

Previously (many weeks ago), I had configured her Router on the internet side to be less than 1612 byte MTU size (can't remember the size I chose), and it didn't make a difference, but I didn't have a sniffer on the internet side to see what was really happening and really can't easily get a sniffer on that side since my mom has to do it all (I wish I had the time when I was there).
Old 03-18-2009, 02:29 AM   #564
pokegol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee0708 View Post
I then took her S1 Tivo to a friend of hers who has OneMain DSL (originally was Earthlink before being bought) and hooked up the Tivo and bam, success on the 1st attempt. Completed the download just fine with no hitches, except after completing the download, it failed with an error while trying to load the data. I tried like 10 times and each time the download was successful (0 failures during the download) but the loading of the data always failed. I imagine if I re-ran the Guided setup or restored the backup and reconnected on her friends DSL it would have been fine, but then I would have to re-hack it to get the big drive back and it still probably wouldn't work on my mom's AT&T DSL.
Just in case anybody has a similar issue, I also had the problem with failing to load the data after successfully downloading. The kickstart procedure described by Tivojerry above fixed that.
pokegol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #565
joeysmith

well, i found something interesting. i checked my turbonet'd tivo and was surprised that it's daily call had been failing since 3/11. i then discovered that i couldn't telnet into it and checking my router's dhcp table, it had lost it's lease and wasn't on the LAN! i rebooted it and it got the ip again and immediately the call completed ok. up until now it hadn't skipped a beat. it's loading data now - will report back if any other issues...
joeysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #566
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Whoa. I wish I had remembered about this.

I just resurrected my original Series (in my Sig) and after guided setup it's coming along fine. 'nother thread...
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #567
vjquan

TivoJerry,

Seems like you guys found the culprit. Care to share with us what the problem was? Has a permanent solution been put in place or are you still testing? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #568
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbranco View Post
Really?? I heard there were very specific conditions for a lifetime transfer - such as date your S1 was purchased (prior to 2000?), etc.
You might have missed it. As I explained to tthe TiVo rep *I* got in the first "once in a lifetime" deal to transfer my lifetime from the S1 to the S3 for $399!...as opposed to now where any schmoe can buy lifetime for $399, or the low $300s on eBay.

Why, if I had missed out this "once in a lifetime" deal, my S1 would still have lifetime now and I would have to pay $299 to get lifetime my S3!!

Instead I had to call to get my S1 reactivated and pay $99 a year.
UVerse and OTA

Old 03-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #569
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Whoa. I wish I had remembered about this.

I just resurrected my original Series (in my Sig) and after guided setup it's coming along fine. 'nother thread...
It had been set to Eastern Time so I changed it to Central, which resulted in the clock and schedule being wrong.

Should I have expected that with the runscript fix? Now that I repeated Guided setup again and set it to Eastern, how will it know that I'm really in Central Time? Oh. I guess it doesn't matter.
UVerse and OTA

Old 03-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #570
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Final update (from my 11 year old): it is working perfectly now.
mec1991 is offline   Reply With Quote