TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2009, 11:29 PM   #511
Brad516

Since I have a second identical S1 (no mods) I haven't been using since I got an RCN DVR, I hooked it up to see if it would work. It didn't. I'm having the same problems with it that I have with my S1 with the original problem. This time with:

1. A completely different Phillips S1
2. A completely different landline (Verizon (non-FIOS) on the first one, RCN on the second. No DSL.

The modem on the second S1 worked fine right up until we stopped using it.

Suscribed to this thread so I'll know when I can use my Tivos again.
Brad516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #512
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mec1991 View Post
Not too sure what my problem is now; it may not even be related to the original one discussed in this thread. I had not paid much attention to the S1 as it had been working enough to keep me up to date but noticed a message today telling me I had 2 days worth of data left. I checked and the last call had failed with a no dial tone found error message. I tried calling numerous times with different settings and kept getting the same error. The line itself is fine but my box cannot seem to find it to dial out on.

Has my modem gone out after all these years? Could the earlier problems with the other errors have been due to a modem getting ready to fail?
Check your settings to detect dial tone and 'phone in use' -- turn them off and force a call, and see what happens.

I'm still getting failures every few days, but if I force a couple of calls in a row, I can usually get through. I've changed phone numbers, too, in order to get a good connection.

Jan
Old 03-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #513
ds1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzone View Post
Jerry,

I think I've figured out a way for this whole S1 issue to go away. TiVo can take my S1, give me a refurb S2 and transfer my lifetime sub. Problem solved.

/troy
I have a series 1 (svr2000, modem connection) with the problem described in this thread. I've been lurking for some time in hopes that a solution would be found; this is the best one I've heard so far.
ds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #514
series1lifer

All I know is that I have no luck getting thru with MTU=1492. Got thru today with MTU=800, although I had set the MTU last night to 800 and the nightly call failed. I'm on serial PPP connection.
series1lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #515
moonpiemonkey

Thanks to all of those contributing to this thread. For the past 2 months I have been rebooting, checking phone lines, changing call in numbers, etc. I was going outta my mind with this. Just wanted to chime to add my name as another very frustrated TIVO Series 1 owner.
moonpiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #516
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Boatload of new dialup numbers today!

Well I finally got past the no dial tone and line unavailable errors but for some reason it called in for a list of phone numbers without me asking for that and the call went through perfectly. It came back with, hell, at least 15, maybe 20 or more new choices. I have tried 6 so far and all have failed with the couldn't connect error.

I don't think there were this many numbers back when we were all on dialup.

Has TiVo switched their phone company for POP use?

Edit so this does not sound like one of those silly "my TiVo reboots when my mother in law walks into the room" posts:

I did not mean the box called in on its own for a list of numbers, rather that when I went to make a forced call it went to that screen with my area code on it to get a list of numbers. Why it did that I do not know.

Last edited by mec1991 : 03-01-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Clarification
mec1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #517
mec1991
Cranky old coot

The new number calls keep failing. I tried calling several of the numbers with my cell phone too and you get a fairly loud clicking/clacking mechanical noise for about 3 or 4 seconds before you hear the modem try to establish a connection.

SWAG but I am guessing that mechanical noise somehow blocks the attempted connection?

Will someone with technical knowledge see if you have new numbers too and then see if you get that noise that I really do not think should be there?

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #518
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Just did a quick count and I cannot believe it but unless some of them are duplicates, I now have 37 local dialup choices.

Not towns out in the middle of nowhere, but local numbers.

So far none of them work, but...
Old 03-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #519
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Close to putting the Sony in mothballs...

I thought maybe the fact that I was dialing from a cell phone might somehow be causing that clicking sound, so I tried a couple of the new local numbers on the landline phone only to get a phone company recording telling me I had to dial a 1 or a 0 first to make the call.

So the new local numbers are really long distance numbers despite having local exchanges?
Old 03-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #520
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Well, I unplugged it and put it in the closet.

I can honestly say I have never been more frustrated, baffled, and frankly disgusted with anything than I have with this.

Do they still sell the dual tuner S2 for analog cable? My old 540 model S2 works fine via wireless so I guess that is the way to go.

I wish all you guys the best and really hope TiVo gets this fixed for you soon but I personally cannot deal with this any longer.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #521
pfil

Series 1 not downloading data

I have S1 Phillips HDR212 which operated wonderfully for many years. Feb 13th I switched from Time Warner Cable to Att U-verse. It took me several days to rewire everything but had the Tivo able to control the U-verse box with the IR blaster (was not yet using Tivo to watch TV). All was ok, but I had not re-run the channels to get the Tivo and U-verse synched. Got a message on Feb 26 that I only had 2 days of guide info left (for the old Time Warner system).

As I have done in the past I went to Guided set-up. As you can guess, I was unable to finish the process. On the 27th I started a crash course in reading info at Tivo, Tivo community, and anything else I could find.

As of today, I am still stuck in guided set-up hell. I think my problem has to do with the length of time a complete re-do call would take. Unlike others who are updating info, I need a complete update to the new Att U-verse system. I have forced over 40 different calls using different phone #'s (all local to Milwaukee, WI). One nice thing about U-verse is that it lets you look at your calls in/out logs. Checking these shows that no call has lasted longer than 13:20, but most fail in less than 10:30. I have been able to get through the first required call, but never the second. The error messages include: service unavailable, call interrupted, connection failed, and no connection, service not answering.

I can use my system watching the Att box directly, but I have no use of the Tivo. I do not have the Tivo connected to a PC, nor am I fluent in Linux (ie, I do not have any computer running Linux as the OS).

I am stuck. Any suggestions that will help this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Phil
pfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #522
EdgarSwank

Worked for me last couple of days

I was having problems described here, can't connect, call interrupted, sometimes service not answering. Then I sent my TSN to TivoJerry, and it worked OK for a few days, then stopped working again. But now for past couple of days, since message about new phone number, it's been working first time I force a call. And I didn't change the number from what I was using before. Not sure what this means.

I've sent off for a nullmodem serial cable, to try to delete the logs, but it's not here yet.
EdgarSwank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #523
moonpiemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpiemonkey View Post
Thanks to all of those contributing to this thread. For the past 2 months I have been rebooting, checking phone lines, changing call in numbers, etc. I was going outta my mind with this. Just wanted to chime to add my name as another very frustrated TIVO Series 1 owner.
For the record my series 2 is downloading over the phone line just fine.

I have managed to connect 4 times today with the sries 1; however, it has not completed a single download (says downloading then gives the call interupted failure notice).

When I think of how many people I convinced to buy a Tivo.....
Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #524
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpiemonkey View Post
For the record my series 2 is downloading over the phone line just fine.

I have managed to connect 4 times today with the sries 1; however, it has not completed a single download (says downloading then gives the call interupted failure notice).

When I think of how many people I convinced to buy a Tivo.....
I believe (from what I have heard from others), these downloads attempts are accumulative. So If you get to the download stage, that data gets to your Tivo and is stored, then the next time it attempts, the download starts from where the last one failed. So if you just do it over and over and over, eventually you will get all the data and it will say completed (or whatever it says).

I am not talking from experience because in our situation we never get to the downloading stage, but this is what others have said.
dlee0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #525
moonpiemonkey

Thank you for the response.

Update: On March 2nd I received a TIVO message that my local call in number was no longer valid. Unfortunately I could not get the TIVO to connect and get the 'valid' numbers.

March 3rd = new message = New Local Numbers Available. Tivo connected and grabbed local numbers on the 1st attempt (yay - when ur down the little things help).

Test call to new local number (which was actually on the old list too) worked.

Made daily call, system locked up for 1.5 hour saying it was connecting.
4 attempts later it actually downloaded and updated correctly.

This is all just FYI.

The advice to force the call multiple times and attempt to use a new dial number is at least a means to an end at this stage.

The updated phone list and messages may be an indication that TIVO is working on the issue.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #526
jhwenger

For the last two days all of my call (at least 15) have gone through! TIVO may have solved the "service not available" problem. However after the download is complete I get the "failed while loading series" message and 50% of my channels are showing "to be announced" with no future data.

Any ideas on how to get it to load? Will repeated the guided setup restore the guide information? I'm reduced to using the DISH program guide!

btw, I live about three miles from TIVO HQ. Maybe only the local numbers are fixed.

Last edited by jhwenger : 03-05-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Additional info
jhwenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #527
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

We're still working on the connections issue but have made some progress. It takes a few days to evaluate the change made and we're still narrowing things down.

"Failed while loading series" is an error that indicates possible hard drive issues. If you receive this error frequently, you'll need to perform a kickstart. Performing Kickstart 57 will force the unit into the green screen (severe error) mode in order to resolve the issue. However you need to keep in mind that if the issue is severe enough, the unit may not recover. You should watch, or save to VCR, any recordings you wish to keep before attempting.

If the issue is resolved, the unit recovers. The next call attempt will load data. If it still fails for the same reason, we then advise customers to clear their thumbs data. People who continually use the thumbs heavily can bog the unit down by anchoring so many data points. This chance of encountering this symptom increases exponentially with the more channels you have available (Dish, large digital headends, etc).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #528
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Instructions for performing a Kickstart on a Series1:

If you are in Guided Setup, you must power cycle the TiVo recorder by unplugging the power cord from TiVo and then plugging it back in.

Otherwise, using the TiVo remote control, go to; "TiVo Central"
"Messages & Setup"
"Factory Settings" or "System Reset" or "Restart or Reset System"
"Restart the Recorder"
You must then hit the Thumbs Down button 3 times and then the Enter key (below the number 9). Be prepared to be able to point the remote at the front of the unit as soon as power is reconnected.

The left (Receiving) led light on the front bezel (face plate) of your TiVo Digital Video Recorder will be green at first. As soon as the left light turns yellow, immediately press and hold down the yellow Pause button on the remote. Within a few moments, the right light should turn yellow. You only have approximately 2 seconds to complete this step successfully. (If you are unable to catch the change in color or timing, you may also hold the pause button down continuously during the restart until the second light comes on)

When this second light comes on, release the yellow Pause button and then press "57" on the remote control. You only have approximately 10 seconds to complete this step successfully.

The DVR will cycle through the startup screens and they will then see a green screen with text describing a "Severe Error". Do not be alarmed. A full system check is being performed and any corrupted data is being repaired or removed.

Please do not turn off the DVR while it is repairing the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #529
EdgarSwank

Failed while loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwenger View Post
For the last two days all of my call (at least 15) have gone through! TIVO may have solved the "service not available" problem. However after the download is complete I get the "failed while loading series" message and 50% of my channels are showing "to be announced" with no future data.

Any ideas on how to get it to load? Will repeated the guided setup restore the guide information? I'm reduced to using the DISH program guide!

btw, I live about three miles from TIVO HQ. Maybe only the local numbers are fixed.
My calls have also been going through without issues.

I remember a long time ago I had the "failed while loading" problem. Tivo Support was able to give me a solution. It was some unusual key combos on the remote, but I don't think it was the same as Jerry's "kickstart 57." I think "repeat guided setup" is worth a try.
EdgarSwank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #530
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarSwank View Post
My calls have also been going through without issues.

I remember a long time ago I had the "failed while loading" problem. Tivo Support was able to give me a solution. It was some unusual key combos on the remote, but I don't think it was the same as Jerry's "kickstart 57." I think "repeat guided setup" is worth a try.
If your calls are failing while loading/indexing (S03), DO NOT REPEAT GUIDED SETUP!! If your unit cannot process the data, you may never be able to get out of guided setup. Nothing about GS is intended to resolve "failure to load" problems.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #531
moonpiemonkey

Jerry,

You are da man!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just followed the procedure you explained and it went just as you explained.

Just connected 3 times in a row.

My faith hath been restored :-)
Old 03-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #532
vjquan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
We're still working on the connections issue but have made some progress. It takes a few days to evaluate the change made and we're still narrowing things down.
Keep up the good work! Mine has been error free for the last week and a half.
vjquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #533
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

In case someone comes back to this thread at a later point and skims over the details (you might even miss this post, but I've done what I can for you), I'd like to reiterate that you do NOT need to perform the KS procedure listed above in order to make a regular connection. It is only prescribed for the specific error condition that moonpiemonkey was having (failure to load/index, error S03).

Old 03-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #534
nerys
Grr :-)

I have a better idea. Let us transfer our lifetime subs to new boxes. NOT free boxes. Let us buy the boxes ourselves and tx the lifetime subs to them at no cost. I have at least 2 or 3 S2 boxes I could transfer to (I get them off craigslist DIRT cheap and give them as gifts :-)

I always have a couple on hand. That won't cost tivo anything.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #535
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
I have a better idea. Let us transfer our lifetime subs to new boxes. NOT free boxes. Let us buy the boxes ourselves and tx the lifetime subs to them at no cost. I have at least 2 or 3 S2 boxes I could transfer to (I get them off craigslist DIRT cheap and give them as gifts :-)

I'll second that. Sounds like a plan to me.
dlee0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #536
vjquan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post

You may be already be able to do that. Last time I spoke to a CR, they told me that I had a one time lifetime transfer service that I could use at any time. I would do that on an HD box, but Tivo currently doesn't have any that support satellite.
vjquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #537
nmiller855

As stated in the other thread, both of my virgin series 1 completed their calls on the first try & completed their downloading without a hitch.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:57 AM   #538
dbranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjquan View Post
You may be already be able to do that. Last time I spoke to a CR, they told me that I had a one time lifetime transfer service that I could use at any time. I would do that on an HD box, but Tivo currently doesn't have any that support satellite.
Really?? I heard there were very specific conditions for a lifetime transfer - such as date your S1 was purchased (prior to 2000?), etc.
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #539
seansand1

For what it's worth, our house has two S1s. Both experienced the disconnect/call failed problem for a couple of months; it seemed like a successful call would occur like only one out of eight times.

Well, as of about two weeks ago or so, the problem has stopped. Both of our TiVos are calling through successfully all of the time now. We didn't do anything at all on our side to fix it (though I did submit our TSNs to TiVoJerry).

I can't speak for anyone else, and there's no guarantee the problem suddenly won't start happening again, but I can say that for now, the problem has ceased for some reason.
seansand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #540
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Red face I never said I was the smartest person in my home...

My 11 year old took the Sony out of the closet and asked if she could fix it, could she keep it in her room. Sure, go for it, right?

I have no idea what she did, but she got it to make a successful call 3 days ago so now she has her own TiVo.

The new problem is that ever since then it has failed with an unknown error during the getting account status part. It never gets past that stage, just stays there for what seems an eternity then fails. The test calls go through perfectly.

Any ideas?