TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #481
joeysmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1lifer View Post
Hello good people. I had just converted the daily call to using the PPP over serial method several weeks ago in the midst of all these daily call failures. I have a Philips series 1 box.

Should I be able to boot the diagnostic mode with the "factory" password to get a bash prompt and then clear out the /var/logs logs?

I've removed the Local Connection and modem for the PPP setup in windows and fired up Hyperterm, but I can't seem to get any prompt or any type of communication when connected at 9600/8/1/N/ or 115000/8/1/N and power cycling the tivo.
you need xon/xoff handshake - i've found you don't need a power cycle. don't think you need the "factory" password anymore with the current system versions.
joeysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #482
tpsmak

It looks like some people are starting to get their downloads from another forum
tpsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #483
tivolovr
Full-time lurker

I want to thank Tivo Inc. and especially TivoJerry for working so long on this issue and not giving up.

I seem to have experienced a "miraculous" recovery. For about a week now my phone calls go through fine. I have a pure phone only connection with a Phillips Series 1. We want to upgrade to a Series 3 but I got laid off and now it's on hold.

The call would not go through sporadically since December (like others). I got the Service Unavailable or Call Interrupted messages. I would have to force the call several times and/or change phone numbers and then it would finally work. I babysat the TiVo for months.

But now (and I'm sure just typing this is jinxing it!) it appears to be okay again. I last used a phone number for my neighbor city. But I've used all the local numbers and they sporadically worked and then didn't work. There is no pattern I can discern.

TiVoJerry: I sent my TNS previously.

Thanks again for caring about us early adopters!
tivolovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #484
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzone View Post
Jerry,

So for those of us that are able to snoop turbonet traffic, should we continue to do so? Would those additional captures be of any benefit to the team looking into this issue? Is there anything else in particular that we should attempt to capture to assist?

/troy
For the moment we should have enough to work with. If I need more snooping, I'll post a request. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #485
EdgarSwank

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmith View Post
i'm still in guided setup hell. i tried yesterday, dialup to multiple pops in different areacodes (dhcp still not working), all failed. interestingly only one of the pops would connect and get through first step - all the others failed with service unavailable. i'm in NJ, perhaps some areas have better chances of success than others? i'm hoping my null modem adapter comes in the mail today so i can try to tty into the box and clear /var/logs...
There are various references in this thread to "telnet" or "tty" into Tivo. Does this require a net connection, or can I do it with my POTS connection with internal modem? If there are instructions for this somewhere, how about a pointer?
EdgarSwank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #486
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarSwank View Post
There are various references in this thread to "telnet" or "tty" into Tivo. Does this require a net connection, or can I do it with my POTS connection with internal modem? If there are instructions for this somewhere, how about a pointer?
Here is a link I found. It looks pretty detailed.

http://www.pineaus.com/HOWTO/Tivo-DSL-HOWTO.html

I have upgraded my moms Tivo with a 2nd hard drive using similar type instructions and had no problems because the instructions were great. But I wouldn't call it a breeze, in my opinion its a pretty complicated process made easier by super detailed instructions.

Last edited by dlee0708 : 02-20-2009 at 09:14 PM.
dlee0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #487
joeysmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarSwank View Post
The S1 Tivo came with a serial cable (ministereo and db9) but it's the wrong gender for a PC and you need a null modem adapter to get it to work. I got a null modem F-F db9 adapter from monoprice.com ($3 shipped) like this: monoprice null modem . Then use hyperterminal as in the instructions from the post above. I found I didn't need to reboot to get into the Tivo this way.

Telnet will need a net connection and you may or may not be able to do it depending on the image you have on your Tivo. I have an instantcake disk image and it had everything on it including Tivoweb, which was nice.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #488
pokegol

My sisters SVR2000 started having this problem. Since I didn't have bash enabled on her TiVo, I pulled the drive, put it in a PC and booted with an old mfstools disk I used to use long ago. I mounted partition 9 and removed the /var/log/svclog.upload file, and recreated it as a directory. Unmounted partition 9, shut down the PC, put the drive back into the TiVo, started it up, and forced a connection. Worked first shot. So this hack seems to be a winner.
pokegol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:06 AM   #489
series1lifer

I'm not sure what to make of my MTU tests. This morning it failed at 900. I lowered to 880 and Succeeded. The call was really short. I tried again 3 more times right away and failed each time (last three were Call Int, then two Service Unavail). Lowered to 800, Failed Service Unavail. Set back up to 1492 and tried various times during the day and all failed. Just tried it again tonight at 1492 and failed. Lowered to 900 and Succeeded. Try again at 900, Failed Call Int. Try again at 900 and again Fail Call Int. But both times did get "Downloading..." and saw a fair amount of packets.

I have wireshark captures if anyone is interested.
series1lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #490
joeysmith

did a dialup test - failed service unavailable. tried to switch areacodes but downloading the list of numbers fails. problem seems to be the handshake with tivo servers since it dials ok, but connecting fails. finally switched back to turbonet - failed as expected but reboot cleared it up and first try got thru the download....
Old 02-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #491
dlee0708

Just another datapoint that is probably of no help (a very disappointing one for me, I was hoping this would at least do something different). I lowered the MTU on my mothers router on the internet side down to 616 (as low as it would go) and it made no difference at all. Tivo would send 1 small packet (responded to by Server) Tivo sends 2nd large packet and no response from the Server, Tivo kept resending the 2nd packet and this continued until finally the Server gave up and dropped the connection with the same FIN and RST packets.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #492
Monty

Jerry,
You have my TSN from a while ago. No Magic yet.

Monty
Old 02-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #493
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Has this issue been fixed yet or is Tivo still working on it. Is the Series 1 dead?
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #494
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Has this issue been fixed yet or is Tivo still working on it. Is the Series 1 dead?
Definitely not fixed for my mothers (TurboNet) and I am sure others. My mothers Tivo has been a dumb VCR since middle of December. I assume they are working on it. A lot of Dialup users are getting more success, but have heard nothing from Tivo as far as what they have fixed if they have fixed anything.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #495
EdgarSwank

Sent my TSN to Jerry

And for a short time it was working fine. But now it's back to failing most of the time. A mix of "not answering," "Service unavailable," and "call interrupted." I've been manually starting daily updates all night, but haven't completed yet.
EdgarSwank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #496
urwathrtz
Death Metal Dad

I was using the Burbank number for a week or two with no problems. This past Sunday I checked to see if it was still OK. Nope, it wasn't. I got a TiVo message saying they updated the call in numbers and I switched to one of the new ones. Success!
urwathrtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #497
GBL
covert opiniative

I am currently experiencing "Service Unavailable" errors on 2 dialup S1 boxes:
5 days since last successful call (internal modem) on first,
3 days since successful call (internal modem) on second.

Successful calls (using network) on third.

Errors are timeouts (after about 3 minutes) after post to mlog.cgi.

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #498
joeysmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBL View Post
I am currently experiencing "Service Unavailable" errors on 2 dialup S1 boxes:
5 days since last successful call (internal modem) on first,
3 days since successful call (internal modem) on second.

Successful calls (using network) on third.

Errors are timeouts (after about 3 minutes) after post to mlog.cgi.
i guess they stopped rebooting the servers or whatever it was that got things going again? my turbonet has not failed once, but i have fios and my route to the mothership seems to be fast and reliable....

Last edited by joeysmith : 02-24-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #499
Brad516

So S1's are dead unless or until Tivo does something?
Brad516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #500
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Folks, the S1 platform is not dead....we're not doing anything deliberate to drive anyone away. So do me a favor and please stop saying that.

We understand that not being able to connect does effectively keep you from using it properly. I have been getting daily updates on the investigation and the amount of effort being put into this issue is very high. Information that I've received from posts and individual messages have proven very helpful. The unit that a customer sent us is frequently referenced for testing purposes (it failed often at his home but is working more reliably when calling in from my desk, failures are less frequent). The list of TSNs I've been given have also been mapped differently to see what effect certain changes may have.

While the symptoms may seem to be straightforward, they are in fact extremely complicated. Their intermittent and unpredictable nature keeps this from being resolved easily. Believe me when I say that this is a top priority and is receiving exhaustive attention. I will definitely post when it seems appropriate, but I figure that multiple "we're still looking" is not all that helpful. Lemme know if that's not the case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #501
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I've got 2 series 1 tuners that I do a force download every week ( they are not by phone jacks) for past few months, I've just come to the point where I have to force it about 6-7 times before it goes through. Last night, both downloaded on very 1st try. I was shocked.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #502
Brad516

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
Folks, the S1 platform is not dead....we're not doing anything deliberate to drive anyone away. So do me a favor and please stop saying that.

We understand that not being able to connect does effectively keep you from using it properly. I have been getting daily updates on the investigation and the amount of effort being put into this issue is very high. Information that I've received from posts and individual messages have proven very helpful. The unit that a customer sent us is frequently referenced for testing purposes (it failed often at his home but is working more reliably when calling in from my desk, failures are less frequent). The list of TSNs I've been given have also been mapped differently to see what effect certain changes may have.

While the symptoms may seem to be straightforward, they are in fact extremely complicated. Their intermittent and unpredictable nature keeps this from being resolved easily. Believe me when I say that this is a top priority and is receiving exhaustive attention. I will definitely post when it seems appropriate, but I figure that multiple "we're still looking" is not all that helpful. Lemme know if that's not the case.

I have no doubt all of this is true, Jerry. My problem is that this doesn't seem to have filtered down to tech support. I was specifically told, on my second call, that I'd had mine for a long time and maybe it was time to upgrade. The other suggestion was to just use some of my other, newer Tivos.

That's not exactly how I'd try to convince customers the S1 platform is still viable.

I have lifetime on a unit that's been working fine up until this point. I've been told maybe all of the dial in numbers I tried in the MD/DC area are dead but still have a modem tone and seem to pick up. Maybe it takes ten to twenty minutes for my S1 to figure out it hasn't actually connected to Tivo on these "dead" lines before giving up on the downloads. I was just given a phone number for Bloomington, IN. I asked for any number that was known to currently work. It dialed in as usual, connected as usual, said it was downloading for about twenty minutes (as usual) and then the call interrupted message.

Is the problem that the modems no longer work with how the data is being sent? I've been repeatedly told that the only problem was that some phone numbers were no longer active. But I was also told that Tivo has no idea what those numbers are. I've tried all of the local numbers and some long distance ones too with the same results. Which makes those numbers picking up and apparently handshaking pretty odd.
Brad516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #503
tzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad516 View Post
I have no doubt all of this is true, Jerry. My problem is that this doesn't seem to have filtered down to tech support. I was specifically told, on my second call, that I'd had mine for a long time and maybe it was time to upgrade. The other suggestion was to just use some of my other, newer Tivos.

That's not exactly how I'd try to convince customers the S1 platform is still viable.

I have lifetime on a unit that's been working fine up until this point. I've been told maybe all of the dial in numbers I tried in the MD/DC area are dead but still have a modem tone and seem to pick up. Maybe it takes ten to twenty minutes for my S1 to figure out it hasn't actually connected to Tivo on these "dead" lines before giving up on the downloads. I was just given a phone number for Bloomington, IN. I asked for any number that was known to currently work. It dialed in as usual, connected as usual, said it was downloading for about twenty minutes (as usual) and then the call interrupted message.

Is the problem that the modems no longer work with how the data is being sent? I've been repeatedly told that the only problem was that some phone numbers were no longer active. But I was also told that Tivo has no idea what those numbers are. I've tried all of the local numbers and some long distance ones too with the same results. Which makes those numbers picking up and apparently handshaking pretty odd.

I don't believe that this has anything to do with the modem (as per your question above). This happens to me (and others) on turbonet cards and we frequently get the service unavailable or call interuppted message.

/troy
tzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #504
tzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post

Jerry,

I think I've figured out a way for this whole S1 issue to go away. TiVo can take my S1, give me a refurb S2 and transfer my lifetime sub. Problem solved.

/troy

Last edited by tzone : 02-26-2009 at 09:06 PM.
tzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #505
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzone View Post
I don't believe that this has anything to do with the modem (as per your question above). This happens to me (and others) on turbonet cards and we frequently get the service unavailable or call interuppted message.

/troy
My mother would absolutely do back flips if her Tivo (with TurboNet) was only frequently getting service unavailable. She has gotten 100% Service unavailable since December 2. That translates to a dumb VCR for almost 3 months.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #506
ParrtHd2
~~^~~ FinUp ~~^~~

I have the same problem. "Failed: Call Interrupted"
And I'll make sparks fly 'round your head!
ParrtHd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #507
nmiller855

dlee0708: If you mom hasn't had a single attempt go through since December 2, it sounds like a bigger issue than the rest of us have had. Possibly a bad modem?
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #508
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmiller855 View Post
dlee0708: If you mom hasn't had a single attempt go through since December 2, it sounds like a bigger issue than the rest of us have had. Possibly a bad modem?
Bad Internal modem many years ago. Now has TurboNet which worked fine till Dec 2. I sent her a hub so I could capture packets and send to TivoJerry.

Every single attempt goes like this

1. Tivo sends connects to TivoInc.
2. TivoInc responds.
3. Tivo sends 63 byte packet to TivoInc in a HTTP POST packet (Seq 1).
4. Tivo sends 1460 byte packet to TivoInc (Seq 64).
5. TivoInc responds saying it got the first 63 byte packet.
6. Tivo sends next 1460 byte packet to TivoInc (Seq 1524)
7. No response from TivoInc
8. Tivo resends the 1460 byte packet at step 4 (Seq 64)

Step 8 repeats for like 3 minutes with no response from TivoInc.

9. TivoInc sends Internal Server Error packet with Ack of 64 indicating it still has never gotten the 1st 1460 byte packet sent at step 4 (or resent at step 8 for 3 minutes).
10. TivoInc sends FIN packet indicating to end the connection (still with ack indicating it is has received no packets other than the 1st 64 byte packet).
11. Tivo responds that it got the FIN packet (Tivo does not respond with FIN ack because there are still outstanding packets TivoInc has not acknowledged)
12. TivoInc sends RST packet (blow connection away no matter what).

In short, the first large packet sent to TivoInc, the Tivo never sees an ack for it. This is why when people clear the logs on the Tivo they start connecting because no large packets are being sent from the Tivo to TivoInc.

If you want to see the actual data I posted it in this thread on 02-15-2009, 10:15 AM CST.

Last edited by dlee0708 : 02-28-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #509
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Not too sure what my problem is now; it may not even be related to the original one discussed in this thread. I had not paid much attention to the S1 as it had been working enough to keep me up to date but noticed a message today telling me I had 2 days worth of data left. I checked and the last call had failed with a no dial tone found error message. I tried calling numerous times with different settings and kept getting the same error. The line itself is fine but my box cannot seem to find it to dial out on.

Has my modem gone out after all these years? Could the earlier problems with the other errors have been due to a modem getting ready to fail?
mec1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #510
badcrc
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mec1991 View Post
Not too sure what my problem is now; it may not even be related to the original one discussed in this thread. I had not paid much attention to the S1 as it had been working enough to keep me up to date but noticed a message today telling me I had 2 days worth of data left. I checked and the last call had failed with a no dial tone found error message. I tried calling numerous times with different settings and kept getting the same error. The line itself is fine but my box cannot seem to find it to dial out on.

Has my modem gone out after all these years? Could the earlier problems with the other errors have been due to a modem getting ready to fail?
Before throwing in the towel, I'd try try a test call at least 10 times. If that works, try a daily call until it goes through. Keep in mind that with the problem discussed in this thread, you may get the same error numerous times and that error may have nothing to do with the real issue. Also keep in mind that the longer your tivo hasn't received guide data, the larger your log files are and the more guide data you will have to download, so it may take you 20+ calls to get a successful download. I've also received the no dial tone error many times, along with phone is busy, service unavailable, call interrupted, etc. When one of my S1s ran out of data completely, it took me about a dozen attempts to finally get a successful download. If after trying 20-30 test calls you still can't dial out, maybe it is your modem, but because this problem can throw many errors at you I'd make absolutely sure before doing anything drastic with the tivo.