TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #571
cweb

iTivo and PyTivox

I have iTivo (1.7.7b3) and PyTivoX (1.3) installed on my Mac. For a long time I successfully used the ffmeg option to download and convert my shows. Since installing snow leopard all newly downloaded shows show a size of zero bytes. Shows will convert correctly if I use another option such as quicktime.

It would be great if I could get the ffmeg functioning again as that was my preferred option. Any thoughts as to why it may no longer work?
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #572
orinaccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Well, the .srt is the subtitles file it's supposed to create, but I guess it must be hitting some error. It would help if you could look through <user>/Logs/iTiVo.log and see if there's any more useful info in there as to why it's failing?

I just tried downloading a show with subtitles enabled and it definitely did the right thing. I'm not aware of fios doing anything different for subtitles (I have Time Warner crapble).
I do not see any log files for iTivo - is there an option to enable logging?

Oddly enough, i recently tried again and for the first time I successfully generated a .SRT file. I do not know if this has anything to do with it, but I installed XCode Developer Tools just prior to this attempt. Could it be that XCode is necessary for this feature to work?
orinaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #573
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinaccio View Post
I do not see any log files for iTivo - is there an option to enable logging?

Oddly enough, i recently tried again and for the first time I successfully generated a .SRT file. I do not know if this has anything to do with it, but I installed XCode Developer Tools just prior to this attempt. Could it be that XCode is necessary for this feature to work?
iTiVo should be logging in <user>/Library/Logs/iTiVo.log ... If it isn't then there's something *very* odd....

as far as I know, you don't need Xcode installed. It simple runs t2sami which is included as part of iTiVo, and I don't believe that has any dependencies on something that Xcode provides... However, I do have xcode installed so can't guarantee that it works without it..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #574
jannlinder

iTivo saving with Episode ID instead of Episode Name...

Anyone seeing iTivo (on 1.7.6, btw) downloading the mpg file and naming it using the episode ID instead of episode name? (for instance: "Glee - 882598.mpg" instead of "Glee - Preggers.mpg")

I am getting really tired of guessing what the episode name is <grin>... Would be nice if iTivo had an option to set the time/date of the file to the recorded time/date instead of the time/date of the episode. I would use this. I know it is kinda counter intuitive..but it is easily added to the app, no?

TIA

Jann
jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #575
zero hectic

Hi. I'm trying to install iTivo in Snow Leopard (10.6.1.) but it doesn't seem to be working. I keep seeing these errors:

On opening iTivo:

AppleScript Error

No matching processes belonging to you were found (1)

On opening preferences:

AppleScript Error

Can't get item 1 of {}. (-1728)

Since I can't open preferences, I can't set iTivo to see my Tivo. Any help would be appreciated.
zero hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #576
jfhaas

iTivo to iTunes

Just got my Tivo HD - 'upgraded' from the original pre-series 1!

Love this app, particularly since the Tivo software doesn't work on Snow Leopard (yet).

Conversions are downloading/ converting smoothly (set to Apple TV), and I can watch the mp4 on my computer. But when I drag the file to my iTunes library, it just disappears! The file never shows up in iTunes nor can I find the file in my library.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
jfhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #577
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Can anyone explain what the download first option does under advanced settings?
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #578
nasukaren

Smile Yay!

What a fantastic program! Please include a "Donate a Beer" button on your page so we can send you a few bucks for a pint!

I'm running it on my old G4 MacMini and my new MacBookPro. The G4 took *hours* to process a show until I remembered that I had a Turbo.264. Plugged that in and it now does 20 fps!

The MacBookPro is working fantastic too. I had trouble with the "delete files after encoding trick" (mv "$temp" etc. etc.) as the file would get deleted before getting passed off to the encoder. I think I'll try to play with a CSH script that waits a few hours before deleting the file.

EDIT: I don't think I'll actually need to write a script, I'm playing within this:
sleep 36000; /bin/mv "$file" ~/.Trash
This should wait 10 hours before processing the delete command.

Karen

Last edited by nasukaren : 11-01-2009 at 09:43 AM.
nasukaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #579
luvmytivo

Performance with many shows

Howdy - Love the program, by far the best looking and easiest TTG app available on any platform. That said, I've been stuck using KMTTG lately, as iTiVo is as near as makes no difference completely unresponsive for minutes at a time while connecting with the TiVo, and then takes several minutes after downloading the NPL before it responds to any clicks.

I currently have over 600 shows on my HDXL, and I understand that getting the NPL off the box will take a little while - kmttg takes a minute to do this as well - but it seems as if iTiVo is doing more than just that.

In addition to the minutes long episodes of hanginess after the NPL is displayed, when trying to search on a show it hangs and says 'connecting' again for a good 5 minutes - occasionally not even coming back with a complete list.

Soooo, any hope of me being able to use iTiVo with my huge NPL any time soon? I'll hit the 'donate beer' button a few times...
Old 11-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #580
hassgocubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhaas View Post
But when I drag the file to my iTunes library, it just disappears! The file never shows up in iTunes nor can I find the file in my library.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Have you checked the "Recently Added" Playlist? See if the item you drag appears there. If it does, it may have a different tag (Movie, for example) that will have it appear in a different part of the library. If it appears there, you can single-click it in that list, press Command-I to get info, and change the tag under the Options tab next to "Media Type."
hassgocubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #581
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
A useful column to add: DATE ADDED

(Do this under View -> View Options)

Then you can just sort by that column...
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #582
solutionsetc

Yoav,

I have to ask you something. I have always noticed the iTivo interface to be remarkably unresponsive to clicks in the list, and the button enabling/disabling that should follow these events. Many times I need to click twice to select an item in the list. And I have seen a phantom action or multiple selection like mouse events are being queued up and then processed after a significant delay.

Originally I just chalked this up to a slow CS machine running a lot of processes. But after installing it on a 3 Ghz C2D I am seeing the same behavior and for the life of me can't figure out what is going on. Surely this isn't normal. Any thoughts as to why it is so unresponsive?
solutionsetc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #583
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm going to guess it's because it's written in AppleScript and AppleScript UI has never been all that responsive in my experience.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #584
solutionsetc

Well I somewhat assumed it was an interpreted environment but what I am seeing here is pretty bad even for AppleScript, unless of course each click is triggering some kind of task that is being handled synchronously.

But even then it seems some clicks within the list are simply ignored, while the second click (after such an ignored event) works as expected.

Is this the same kind of behavior you're seeing?
Old 11-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #585
fowak4

Question...

I downloaded iTiVo about 2 or 3 months ago and hadn't had any problems until recently. I haven't tried to download anything in a few weeks and I'm wondering if that is unacceptable. I got on to my iTiVo program and it is saying that it will not connect to my TiVo and to check my IP address and Media Access Key. Both are correct, but it will not connect to my TiVo...

Please help!!!!
fowak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #586
kingmob

I'm having the same problem as fowak4. kmttg connects fine with the same IP and MAK information.

Edit: Now kmttg isn't working either. I can't even connect via a browser.

Last edited by kingmob : 11-25-2009 at 01:46 PM.
kingmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #587
roblight

Decrypt/copy vs. just decrypt

What's the difference between decrypt/copy and just decrypt? Thanks in advance!!
roblight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #588
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblight View Post
What's the difference between decrypt/copy and just decrypt? Thanks in advance!!
I don't know, but when I tried decrypt/copy a while ago (because I too was curious) the resulting recording would not play. I went back to just decrypt.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #589
roblight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
I don't know, but when I tried decrypt/copy a while ago (because I too was curious) the resulting recording would not play. I went back to just decrypt.
Yeah when I tried using decrypt/copy mencoder kept crashing so now I just do decrypt. But I'd like to know what mencoder is actually doing in this case.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #590
fatespawn

I think yoav added decrypt/copy as a trial method to attempt to remove commercials from the original mpeg2 files. Decrypt is a straight decrypt. Decrypt/copy allows you to "check" remove commercials - but it doesn't work because of the way mpeg2's mux audio and video together. Simply put, it's severely out of sync if you try to cut commercials without transcoding into a friendlier video format.

-fate
fatespawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:21 AM   #591
js29tiv

Quote:
Not really. There are the problems of the metadata file using equals signs for a few items instead of colons and the case problem of "seriesId" which I figured would be easy fixes with a new beta out shortly after the metadata problems were known. Not a problem though, I have a script in my text editor to fix these minor problems very quickly on multiple files at once, so it's no big deal. More like curiosity on my part, wondering if I'd missed a newer beta. That's all.
Hi Marconi:
The above quote is from a few months ago, but I thought I'd respond here instead of opening a new thread since my questions are directly related... I've been reviewing all of your posts because my usage model is identical to yours: I want to download all of my shows off of my (Series 2) Tivo (using iTivo on OS X 10.5.8) so that I can upgrade the harddrive (which has maxed out the partitions) and then re-upload all the files (using pyTivoX) with correct sorting/recording dates, etc. And I'd like to retain the downloads as a backup in case the Tivo dies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's roughly what you have mentioned as your goals.

So far I've finished all my downloads, but hitting some hiccups similar to you before I'm ready to re-upload. So I had a few questions for you (or anyone else who has thoughts on these topics) related to your postings on this thread:

1) I was wondering if you could make your text editor script available to fix the "seriesID =" issue until a new release of iTivo has the fix built-in? Does it require a special text editor, or something we already have on OS X?

2) Also, have you come up with any other scripts and/or refinements to the Droplets that you already provided on this thread? If so, could you post the updates?

3) Also, I've been noticing that roughly 50% of the shows on my Tivo don't have a seriesId at all (at least, nothing shows up in the seriesID(seriesId) field in the .txt file after iTivo downloads it). Have you come up with a general strategy (to deal with series that don't have a seriesId) when re-uploading the shows back to the Tivo (so that a given series gets sorted into its own folder)?
js29tiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #592
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by js29tiv View Post
Hi Marconi:
I've been reviewing all of your posts because my usage model is identical to yours: I want to download all of my shows off of my (Series 2) Tivo (using iTivo on OS X 10.5.8) so that I can upgrade the harddrive (which has maxed out the partitions) and then re-upload all the files (using pyTivoX) with correct sorting/recording dates, etc. And I'd like to retain the downloads as a backup in case the Tivo dies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's roughly what you have mentioned as your goals.
Exactly. It works well. Better, in fact, than transferring files to another TiVo and then back. The latter procedure loses all the original recording dates and recordings take on the date of the last transfer rather than the date it was recorded. See post #461. (I've reported this to TiVo as a bug.)

I'm in the process of backing up two Series 2 boxes right now, as I'm getting a pair of HDs for Christmas.

Quote:
So far I've finished all my downloads, but hitting some hiccups similar to you before I'm ready to re-upload. So I had a few questions for you (or anyone else who has thoughts on these topics) related to your postings on this thread:

1) I was wondering if you could make your text editor script available to fix the "seriesID =" issue until a new release of iTivo has the fix built-in? Does it require a special text editor, or something we already have on OS X?
I use BBEdit (by Bare Bones Software)and the script is specifically for it. Bare Bones does provide the free Text Wrangler but I've not tried my scripts with it, though it is scriptable. Here's the script:
Code:
tell application "BBEdit"
	activate
	replace " = " using " : " saving yes searching in every text document options {search mode:grep, case sensitive:false, match words:false, extend selection:false, showing results:false}
	replace "seriesID" using "seriesId" saving yes searching in every text document options {search mode:grep, case sensitive:true, match words:false, extend selection:false, showing results:false}
end tell
You'll have to modify that 'tell' line containing "BBEdit."

Note too that I have it set to do batches -- I open a bunch of ...mpg.txt files at once and this script corrects all at once so don't have open any files that you don't want to change. Also, until you've confirmed that this works with Text Wrangler, you may want to try it on copies of your mpg.txt files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by js29tiv
2) Also, have you come up with any other scripts and/or refinements to the Droplets that you already provided on this thread? If so, could you post the updates?
I do have one other droplet. It's my "Original Air Date" script. It also works on batches, if more than one file is dropped onto it. What it does is look for the "originalAirDate" meta datum within each dropped mpg.txt file, copy the month, day and year from it and changes the "time," "startTime" and "stopTime" meta data to reflect the original air date of the show. This makes it appear that the recording was made on the episode's original air date, thus, when transferred back to TiVo, episodic series are in the right order within Now Playing. (I've been advised that messing with the "time," "startTime" and "stopTime" meta data is dangerous, though I have not personally experienced any problems with it. But beware. Also, I would not advise using it on shows whose original air dates are earlier than 1970.)

Note that, once in the NPL, they will appear in the correct order (providing the metadata are accurate) but they will not appear in the right order within the listing provided by PyTiVoX unless you also use the droplet for changing the recording modification date on your Mac. (One of the two scripts I posted previously.) Therein lies a tale -- one that earned me the perpetual ire of several community members.

I know now, but did not realize at first, that the NPL would be in the correct order as long as the meta data reflected the correct original air dates. I was thrown by the fact that, despite correct meta data, the list of recordings offered by PyTiVo is by recording modification date, as shown in a Finder window. Thus they appear out of order in PyTiVo and I thought this meant they would likewise be out of order in NPL once transferred to TiVo.

I got it into my head that the recording file mod dates HAD to be changed or the NPL would not be in the correct order (because I was going by the ordering in PyTiVo's listing as seen when browsing a PyTiVo list on TiVo.)

Anyway, the droplet posted previously to change the file's mod date is not really necessary. You don't NEED to change the recordings' mod dates, but I do it anyway because it puts the recordings in the correct order in PyTiVo, which is handy. I don't always transfer all episodes of a show back right away. I have, for example, all the Sopranos episodes in my Mac-based archive, but I only have the next 5 at any one time on the TiVo. Having the recordings' mod dates changed to put them in the correct order as displayed by PyTiVo allows me to easily select the next one to transfer back as I watch them in order.

My "Original Air Date" Applescript uses a Perl script. The Applescript app bundle contains the Perl script. Rather than post the two here and require everyone to create the Perl code and bundle it into the script app bundle, if you PM me with your email address, I'll email the script to you zipped.

So, in order, here's what I do:
  1. Select a batch of mpg.txt files downloaded from iTiVo and open them in BBEdit.
  2. Run the "Correct Meta Data" script within BBEdit. Close these files.
  3. Drag the same bunch of mpg.txt files to my "Original Air Date" droplet.
  4. Drag each mpg.txt file (one at a time) with its corresponding recording file (.mpg file) to the "Change Create Date" droplet.

Move the recordings and their mpg.txt files to the PyTiVo shared directory. They're ready to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by js29tiv
3) ...Have you come up with a general strategy (to deal with series that don't have a seriesId) when re-uploading the shows back to the Tivo (so that a given series gets sorted into its own folder)?
I search on line for the seriesID and just add that meta datum myself. From somewhere, I got an Excel file with loads of series IDs. But, generally, Googling "seriedID [name of show]" works for me too.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #593
js29tiv

Quote:
I use BBEdit (by Bare Bones Software)and the script is specifically for it. Bare Bones does provide the free Text Wrangler but I've not tried my scripts with it, though it is scriptable.
Ah, cool. Yes, I have BBEdit. I'll give the script a try.

Quote:
I do have one other droplet. It's my "Original Air Date" script. It also works on batches, if more than one file is dropped onto it. What it does is look for the "originalAirDate" meta datum within each dropped mpg.txt file, copy the month, day and year from it and changes the "time," "startTime" and "stopTime" meta data to reflect the original air date of the show. This makes it appear that the recording was made on the episode's original air date, thus, when transferred back to TiVo, episodic series are in the right order within Now Playing. (I've been advised that messing with the "time," "startTime" and "stopTime" meta data is dangerous, though I have not personally experienced any problems with it. But beware. Also, I would not advise using it on shows whose original air dates are earlier than 1970.)
Ok, yes, I'd be interested and will contact you on PM. Sounds like from the other thread that I posted to last night ("pyTivoX") that wmcbrine has enhanced pytivo to have File and OAD fields to accomplish the same thing without touching the time/startTime/stopTime. But until that is integrated into a new release of pyTivoX, I'll definitely use your script (assuming I don't encounter any issues per the warnings you apparently received).

Quote:
I know now, but did not realize at first, that the NPL would be in the correct order as long as the meta data reflected the correct original air dates. I was thrown by the fact that, despite correct meta data, the list of recordings offered by PyTiVo is by recording modification date, as shown in a Finder window. Thus they appear out of order in PyTiVo and I thought this meant they would likewise be out of order in NPL once transferred to TiVo.
Yeah, I hadn't quite figured out how iTivo and pyTivoX sorted the files when displaying them. I was thinking it would be nice if the user could select which field to sort on (ie. include all forms of OriginalAirDate, Recording Date, local file system modification date, etc. as selections for viewing in the columns, and then simply click on the header of one column to sort by that column).

Anyway, thanks, that helps to know that the local file system file modification date is the way that pyTivoX sorts the files for display. But I also agree that I find it useful to sort by OriginalAirDate or RecordingDate, so that the sorting matches (roughly or precisely) what Tivo shows. So your script (already posted earlier in this thread) is something I will continue to use.

Quote:
So, in order, here's what I do:
  1. Select a batch of mpg.txt files downloaded from iTiVo and open them in BBEdit.
  2. Run the "Correct Meta Data" script within BBEdit. Close these files.
  3. Drag the same bunch of mpg.txt files to my "Original Air Date" droplet.
  4. Drag each mpg.txt file (one at a time) with its corresponding recording file (.mpg file) to the "Change Create Date" droplet.
Excellent, thanks! Hopefully the first few steps won't be necessary if/when pyTivoX is updated to the latest version of wmcbrine's pytivo, but meanwhile this flow sounds like it'll work great. And the last couple steps can then be tweaked to modify the File/OAD fields which apparently is less risky of corrupting Tivo playback.

Quote:
I search on line for the seriesID and just add that meta datum myself. From somewhere, I got an Excel file with loads of series IDs. But, generally, Googling "seriedID [name of show]" works for me too.
Ok, thanks for all the help! And thanks to the pytivo and pyTivoX/iTivo authors as well for these awesome tools!
js29tiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #594
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Hi Marconi:

I do have one other Applescript droplet I use: RemoveNumerals. Movies and other shows that are not a series and do not have an episode title, get tagged by iTiVo with the recording's numerical designator when downloaded to Mac. You end up with:

Merry Madagascar - 1431274.mpg
Merry Madagascar - 1431274.mpg.txt

When the above files are dropped onto RemoveNumerals, guess what happens!

Code:
-- Droplet for removing the numerals from the Names
-- of Dragged-on TiVo Recording  and metadata Files
--
-- Save this as an application bundle in AppleScript Editor.
--
--
-- Note that this was designed for this one, specific purpose and 
-- any other use of this droplet is bound to disappoint.
--
-- DISCLAIMER: No warranty is implied, use at your own risk. 
-- Consult a doctor if erection lasts for more than four hours. 

on open dropped_items
	repeat with i from 1 to the count of dropped_items
		set this_item to (item i of dropped_items)
		set item_info to info for this_item
		set original to name of item_info
		set foo to offset of ".mpg" in original
		set newname to text 1 through (foo - 11) of original
		set suffix to text (foo) through end of original
		set changedname to newname & suffix
		tell application "Finder"
			set the name of this_item to changedname
		end tell
	end repeat
end open

Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #595
tomgorman

iTiVo can't find TiVo

I just installed iTiVo, entered my Media Key, but the iTiVo software doesn't show my TiVo in the drop down at the top of the screen.

What am I doing wrong? I'm super excited about this software and want to get it working!

Thanks,

--tom
tomgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #596
SnakeEyes

I just used iTiVo to begin converting a 720p HD video from my TiVo using the mpeg2 hd setting. The output looks really blocky. Is this normal and is there a better option?
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #597
chrisblackstone

Can't connect to TiVo

Starting yesterday I am unable to connect to my TiVo. It is online because I can see it through my router. I have restarted it, confirmed the MAK in iTiVo, and the setting to share content is active on the TiVo.

Has anything changed with either TiVo or iToVo recently to disable remote connections?

thanks
chrisblackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #598
roblight

Plex?

Has anyone used iTiVo successfully with Plex?

I've tried setting up a "TV Show" source under Plex but it doesn't see the media. Do the filenames have to conform to the "S01E01" style of naming? Maybe this is a post for the Plex forum.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #599
solutionsetc

Turning off the Console Entries?

Am I missing something to turn off the console entries from iTivo. It seems a little excessive for anything other than a debug mode.

Appreciate any help you could offer.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #600
roblight

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblight View Post
Has anyone used iTiVo successfully with Plex?
I've tried setting up a "TV Show" source under Plex but it doesn't see the media. Do the filenames have to conform to the "S01E01" style of naming? Maybe this is a post for the Plex forum.
It turns out that currently Plex requires a "S01E01" naming convention per:

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Ge...aming_TV_Shows

But all is not lost if you employ this handy script:

http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=MythSExx

Which will rename a media file with series/episode numbers given the series/episode names. Wooohooo!