TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
milo99

COX NoVA adding over 50 channels to SDV! TA coming "later this year"

Just got home today to find the attached letter in my mailbox (yes, i accidentally ripped it thinking it was junkmail).

you can view the larger image and zoom it in here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/papasavv...62114180308306

unbelievable. This right after they get fined by the FCC. But the "good news" is that the TA is supposedly coming out "later this year" ...and they do confirm that it is going to be free.

siggghhhhhh
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
rainbow

Does/will Verizon Fios require a 'Tuning Adapter' as well? I am assuming that a tuning adapter is different than a cable card.
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
classicsat
Astute User

A tuning adapter provides the back channel for SDV requests. The cablecard decrypts encrypted programming.

FIOS doesn't (yet) provide SDV. They have plenty of bandwidth tot he home, and what they would otherwise provide "switched" (such as VOD) they are providing with IPTV to their boxes.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...

This is so much horse sh*t.

I only get IFC, Sundance, and the Encore channels because I subscribe to a pay movie tier (for me, Starz). So they are essentially moving premium pay channels to SDV.

And I expressly pay $2/mo for the "Digital Variety" tier that includes BBC America and essentially half of the rest of this list. BBC America! We watch probably 5 series on BBCA. What the F' will I do without TopGear??

I'm cancelling every "additional" service I have, since I can no longer enjoy them. Bastards.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionary View Post
This is so much horse sh*t.

I only get IFC, Sundance, and the Encore channels because I subscribe to a pay movie tier (for me, Starz). So they are essentially moving premium pay channels to SDV.

And I expressly pay $2/mo for the "Digital Variety" tier that includes BBC America and essentially half of the rest of this list. BBC America! We watch probably 5 series on BBCA. What the F' will I do without TopGear??

I'm cancelling every "additional" service I have, since I can no longer enjoy them. Bastards.
well, we have till 12/2 ...although i'm curious what the timing will be with the TA's availability. I'd like to call customer service and ask them, but of course, that would assume they actually know anything.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
TheLongshot

Yeah, I got the letter yesterday as well. I think the CSRs are going to get a call from me about the availability of the tuning adapter or else I'll be giving Verizon a call. They shouldn't be pulling this crap.
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
rainbow

Ok, this is confusing me now. I currently only have Cox extended basic, which is analog. I have been thinking of moving over to Fios at some point.

I have a Tivo series 2, and a tivo series 3.

In checking Fios online, they have listed the following info for their Digital Adapter.

Digital Adapter
View programs from our large selection of Local, Premier, Premium, and National Standard Definition Channels.
Basic user Interface will show Channel Number, Clock and parental controls.
Will not support Video on Demand and Impulse Pay-Per-View, Advanced “Mercury" Interactive Program Guide, FiOS TV Interactive Parental Control, Home Media DVR, Media Manager and Widgets.
Dimensions: W: 5.5 in. D: 6.5 in. H: 1.75 in.

They also list as part of their equipment either a "standard def" at $5.99/month, or a "high Def" set top box @ $9.99/month. I have been assuming my Tivos would work instead of having to get either of these, but now am not sure.

Would i then need the digital adapter and/or their set top box as well; or does a cable card for the tivos work instead of those 2 things.

(Ok, I know I could call Verizon and ask those questions, but i don't want to get into the 'sales' loop with them right now. so figured all you knowlegable people would be able to answer my questions pretty quickly.)
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
jcaudle

More Cox BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
well, we have till 12/2 ...although i'm curious what the timing will be with the TA's availability. I'd like to call customer service and ask them, but of course, that would assume they actually know anything.
I called them last night and got nothing out of them. They don't know squat! TivoJerry saw my post in the Cox Cable Card thread that I had made right after I got the darn letter. He wanted a copy of it so I sent him a link to your copy of it at the top of this thread. Maybe Tivo can shake them loose.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudle View Post
I called them last night and got nothing out of them. They don't know squat! TivoJerry saw my post in the Cox Cable Card thread that I had made right after I got the darn letter. He wanted a copy of it so I sent him a link to your copy of it at the top of this thread. Maybe Tivo can shake them loose.
did they even know about the offer for a free HD receiver? i wonder if this is something that can be added on top of the 2 cablecard outlets for free. So that i can use the Tivo for normal, then the other receiver when i want to access the other channels.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
jcaudle

Cox Arrogance

Quote:
did they even know about the offer for a free HD receiver? i wonder if this is something that can be added on top of the 2 cablecard outlets for free. So that i can use the Tivo for normal, then the other receiver when i want to access the other channels.
I called, and then I went to the Cox service center in Kingstowne, near Alexandria. I wasn't interested in the HD or digital set top box since they didn't give me the ability to record these channels.

Cox was talking mostly to Tivo Customers, since very few people use Cable Cards in their TVs even if they are cable card ready. Therefore most cable card customers are by definition Tivo users.

Their solution in this letter should have been one temporary and one permanent:

1. Temporary: Give all Tivo customers the option for free Scientific Atlanta DVR until the tuning adapter is available. To me a regular HD or digital set top box isn't acceptable, since it still doesn't give me the ability to record those channels.

2. Permanent: of course issue tuning adapter...but why can't they give a definate date? If they are going to give them out by the end of the year like their letter says then they most certainly have estimated the quantity they needed, and have an estimated delivery date.

The other question is, why didn't they delay taking these channels away until after the tuning adapter was available SINCE THEY SAY ITS DUE BY THE END OF THE YEAR. Why does the SDV change have to be implemented by Dec 2? Sorry just venting my frustration. If FiOs were available or DirecTV had home media options on their DVRs I might consider them and dump Cox.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:51 AM   #11
wierdo

Quote:
The other question is, why didn't they delay taking these channels away until after the tuning adapter was available SINCE THEY SAY ITS DUE BY THE END OF THE YEAR. Why does the SDV change have to be implemented by Dec 2? Sorry just venting my frustration. If FiOs were available or DirecTV had home media options on their DVRs I might consider them and dump Cox.
That's a very good question. What exactly are they going to do with the 4 or 5 QAMs they'll free up by removing those channels early.

Most likely it has more to do with some manager responsible for the SDV decision trying to look good to the execs.

You gotta have something to go on the powerpoint slides, you know?
wierdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:17 AM   #12
ajwees41

Quote:
I called, and then I went to the Cox service center in Kingstowne, near Alexandria. I wasn't interested in the HD or digital set top box since they didn't give me the ability to record these channels.

Cox was talking mostly to Tivo Customers, since very few people use Cable Cards in their TVs even if they are cable card ready. Therefore most cable card customers are by definition Tivo users.

Their solution in this letter should have been one temporary and one permanent:

1. Temporary: Give all Tivo customers the option for free Scientific Atlanta DVR until the tuning adapter is available. To me a regular HD or digital set top box isn't acceptable, since it still doesn't give me the ability to record those channels.

2. Permanent: of course issue tuning adapter...but why can't they give a definate date? If they are going to give them out by the end of the year like their letter says then they most certainly have estimated the quantity they needed, and have an estimated delivery date.

most likely answer as to why they can't delay the sdv launch channel contracts

Why should they give free dvr's would you want free dvr service also?
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #13
jcaudle

Cox Idiocy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
most likely answer as to why they can't delay the sdv launch channel contracts

Why should they give free dvr's would you want free dvr service also?
I don't really want their crappy DVR but they should get of their ass and get the Tuning adapter out. They are the ones taking away channels. I hope FiOs gets here soon. As soon as it does, I will dump Cox. Better internet service anyway.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
ajwees41

Quote:
I don't really want their crappy DVR but they should get of their ass and get the Tuning adapter out. They are the ones taking away channels. I hope FiOs gets here soon. As soon as it does, I will dump Cox. Better internet service anyway.
motrola probably can't make them fast enough
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #15
phoenixZed

I got this letter as well and spent some time on the phone with them today. After being passed from tech support, to billing, and finally to sales, I got a rep who had seen the letter, but couldn't give me any more definite information. I asked to be added to as a tester, but was told they didn't have a customer beta program, since they have "over 1000 employees in NoVa and some of them are bound to have a TiVo". I pressed him for a better ETA for the TA and was told, "hopefully Christmas". Somehow I don't have a lot of faith in Santa Cox...
phoenixZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #16
milo99

anybody here a lawyer? or know someone in the media?

I'd love for someone to sue cox with a cease-and-desist on rolling out SDV until the TA is available.

or if somebody knows anybody in the media, preferably TV, that would love to do a story on say, Cox screwing their customers even after being fined by the FCC? or at least threaten to do report a story on it.

I've been going through their website and found 2 contacts:

Janet H. Barnard
Senior Vice President and General Manager, Northern Virginia
(no phone listed)

Media contact:
Northern Virginia
Kathryn Falk
VP, Public and Government Affairs
(703) 480-5248
kathryn.falk@cox.com

I think their corporate # is: (404) 843-5000

I'm trying to think what would be the best way for a large number of people to voice complaints. And if anybody here has a job in a high position, that tends to help. For example, a customer calling to complain who is the CEO of ABC inc, carries more weight than just an ordinary Joe.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 AM   #17
jcaudle

Cox Northern Va SDV letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
motrola probably can't make them fast enough
Actually here its the Scientific Atlanta tuning adapter.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 AM   #18
EvilYankeeFan

Quote:
anybody here a lawyer? or know someone in the media?

I'd love for someone to sue cox with a cease-and-desist on rolling out SDV until the TA is available.

or if somebody knows anybody in the media, preferably TV, that would love to do a story on say, Cox screwing their customers even after being fined by the FCC? or at least threaten to do report a story on it.

I've been going through their website and found 2 contacts:

Janet H. Barnard
Senior Vice President and General Manager, Northern Virginia
(no phone listed)

Media contact:
Northern Virginia
Kathryn Falk
VP, Public and Government Affairs
(703) 480-5248
kathryn.falk@cox.com

I think their corporate # is: (404) 843-5000

I'm trying to think what would be the best way for a large number of people to voice complaints. And if anybody here has a job in a high position, that tends to help. For example, a customer calling to complain who is the CEO of ABC inc, carries more weight than just an ordinary Joe.
This is a good idea though I'm thinking my best method for complaining is just to dump their sorry...well. Reading all of this and looking at what I'm paying might have just put me over the edge. Stinks too as I really don't want satellite again and Cox is the only cable provider in my apt complex. I'd go completely online, but I love my sports. Decisions decisions.
EvilYankeeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:56 AM   #19
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilYankeeFan View Post
This is a good idea though I'm thinking my best method for complaining is just to dump their sorry...well. Reading all of this and looking at what I'm paying might have just put me over the edge. Stinks too as I really don't want satellite again and Cox is the only cable provider in my apt complex. I'd go completely online, but I love my sports. Decisions decisions.
i switched from Directv cuz the HD dish wouldn't fit on my balcony (i live in a condo). So for me to get HD programming, Cox is my only choice. So i can't really dump them. plus, i still have two years on my tivo subscription that'd be going to waste.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #20
spitoon

This past Tuesday I went to the Cox facility in Herndon and turned in my cable cards for
their HD tuner and 6 months of free service as I did not want to miss the programs on the tiers that I subscribe to. My monthly bill will decrease significantly and I have access to
all of the channels offered. I will revisit the situation in six months when things sort themselves out.
spitoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:42 PM   #21
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitoon View Post
This past Tuesday I went to the Cox facility in Herndon and turned in my cable cards for
their HD tuner and 6 months of free service as I did not want to miss the programs on the tiers that I subscribe to. My monthly bill will decrease significantly and I have access to
all of the channels offered. I will revisit the situation in six months when things sort themselves out.
are you sure you got the terms of the offer right? According to the letter, you get the HD receiver for free, not all the programming for free.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:48 PM   #22
spitoon

Quote:
are you sure you got the terms of the offer right? According to the letter, you get the HD receiver for free, not all the programming for free.
Let me clarify: You get all the programming that you currently pay for plus a free HD receiver for 6 months. Since I subscribe to three tiers at $2 per tier I continue to get them as I would have lost the bulk of the channels to SDV in December, but in addition, I get for the first time all the high-def channels and other channels that they added and that went straight to SDV after October 2007.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #23
spitoon

I freed up two digital gateway charges @ 5.99 each + 4 cable cards at $1.99 each. My monthly bill will decrease by $20. I still have to pay one digital gateway at $6.99. I will be using my two Sony High Definition DVRs without their cable cards in the interim to record
the clear QAM hi-def channels I can pull in by cable. Unlike the Tivo, the Sony gets program listings for QAM channels as they can be remapped to Cox's 700 tier hi-def channels. Also, I will have six months to see how I feel about the Cox Hi-def tuner, which is a Scientific Atlanta 4240
Old 10-31-2008, 05:07 PM   #24
jcaudle

Here is the latest waffling and evading from cox northern virginia:

Dear Mr. Caudle:

Thank you for contacting our Cox Northern Virginia Online Customer Care Team.

As this conversion materializes, t here are options available from Cox to allow you to still view these channels:

1. HD box and service free for six (6) months or a digital standard box at the same cost as a CableCARD ($1.99) for 12 months

2. HD Box Free for 6 Months

3. Digital Standard Box for $1.99 for 12 Months

Please contact our customer care department, at (703) 378-8422, for further details toward ensuring continued channel viewing.

If you need additional information on other Cox products or services on our fiber optic network, please visit our web site at http://www.cox.com/fairfax . We hope that we have been able to provide you with the information you requested. If we have not, or if we can be of any additional service to you, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

My name is Roy,

Thank you for choosing Cox Communications, Your Friend in the Digital Age!

Sincerely,

The Cox Northern Virginia Online Customer Care Team

Not much of a choice in my opinion.

Last edited by jcaudle : 10-31-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 11-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #25
JimboG

Milo,

Just a minor nit to pick. The title on this thread says that 50 channels are being "added" to SDV. It would be more accurate to say that 50 channels of existing content are being moved to SDV. What you said sounds like a good thing with far more new content than previously was available on Cox cable. When I first skimmed over the title I erroneously thought that Cox was adding as many as 50 HD channels in Northern Virginia on SDV in order to compete with Fios and DirecTV.

There is a world of difference between adding 50 new channels of content (whether SD or preferably HD) versus moving 50 channels of existing content. For customers who have HD Tivo DVRs moving a channel to SDV effectively means removing it from their lineup. For customers who have cable company provided DVRs, moving a channel from linear programming to SDV does not necessarily help out in the short term.

I've always thought that Cox might be the most aptly named cable company (say it out loud). This latest move does little to position the company more competitively against its satellite and fiber optic adversaries while diminishing services to Tivo customers.
JimboG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #26
thewebgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboG View Post
Milo,

Just a minor nit to pick. The title on this thread says that 50 channels are being "added" to SDV. It would be more accurate to say that 50 channels of existing content are being moved to SDV. What you said sounds like a good thing with far more new content than previously was available on Cox cable. When I first skimmed over the title I erroneously thought that Cox was adding as many as 50 HD channels in Northern Virginia on SDV in order to compete with Fios and DirecTV.

There is a world of difference between adding 50 new channels of content (whether SD or preferably HD) versus moving 50 channels of existing content. For customers who have HD Tivo DVRs moving a channel to SDV effectively means removing it from their lineup. For customers who have cable company provided DVRs, moving a channel from linear programming to SDV does not necessarily help out in the short term.

I've always thought that Cox might be the most aptly named cable company (say it out loud). This latest move does little to position the company more competitively against its satellite and fiber optic adversaries while diminishing services to Tivo customers.
I'm getting really close to swapping out my COX gear and going to FIOS.
I really DON'T want to provide money to VERIZON, but I see no choice.
I've had COX for 8 years now but its been over a year since they inititated SDV and removed the first SDV channels from my access.
Its crazy to be paying for channels I am not getting.
Now to compound this by moving another 50 channels from my access - well - its apparent to me that their business model ("vision") doesn't include TIVO ...
thewebgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #27
milo99

Quote:
Milo,

you got a point, 'moving' is more accurate than 'adding', but unfortunately i can't change the thread title.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:24 AM   #28
frogger22

Quote:
There is a world of difference between adding 50 new channels of content (whether SD or preferably HD) versus moving 50 channels of existing content. For customers who have HD Tivo DVRs moving a channel to SDV effectively means removing it from their lineup.
This is the part that is really getting me steamed. Up until now they have been adding channels, for example, they added Spike to the HD tier. This has not bothered me too much since that same channel is also available on the SD tier. Nothing gained, but nothing lost either. Now we are on the verge of loosing channels, some that my family enjoys watching.

I am considering Cox's offer for a free/reduced cost cable box, but I am not excited about trying to fit another component into my cabinet.

Has anyone tried calling the County regulators? I recall them being very active in the dispute, several years ago, between Cox and Fox. (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dcccp/) If enough people complain, they may be willing to step in too.
frogger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:51 AM   #29
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebgal View Post
I'm getting really close to swapping out my COX gear and going to FIOS.
I really DON'T want to provide money to VERIZON, but I see no choice.
I've had COX for 8 years now but its been over a year since they inititated SDV and removed the first SDV channels from my access.
Its crazy to be paying for channels I am not getting.
Now to compound this by moving another 50 channels from my access - well - its apparent to me that their business model ("vision") doesn't include TIVO ...
Verizon FiOS gets you better picture quality and more channels at a cheaper price. The bundle of 20/5 Internet (20Mbps download and 5Mbps upload) with FiOS HD Extreme costs $79.99. That price includes 200+ SD channels and 60 HD channels. There are no added fees on top of that, aside from $3.99 for a CableCard and ~$4 in taxes.

Verizon FiOS Channel Lineup in N. VA (PDF)

Verizon now has MCARDs in the DC area, so you'd only need one card for $3.99, provided you have a TivoHD. You can add all HBO, Showtime, and Starz channels -- including another 30 HD movie channels -- for another $24.99. That's 20/5 Internet, 90 HD channels, and a CableCard for less than $115 after taxes.

Best of all? Verizon has no plans to ever use SDV.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:46 AM   #30
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger22 View Post
This is the part that is really getting me steamed. Up until now they have been adding channels, for example, they added Spike to the HD tier. This has not bothered me too much since that same channel is also available on the SD tier. Nothing gained, but nothing lost either. Now we are on the verge of loosing channels, some that my family enjoys watching.

I am considering Cox's offer for a free/reduced cost cable box, but I am not excited about trying to fit another component into my cabinet.

Has anyone tried calling the County regulators? I recall them being very active in the dispute, several years ago, between Cox and Fox. (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dcccp/) If enough people complain, they may be willing to step in too.

the more pertinent link:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/cable/regulation/

the number is 703-222-8435
Quote:
Fairfax County ensures that cable operators comply with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and Fairfax County standards for customer service
i think we have a very very valid complaint, considering the FCC has already fined Cox. I think i'm going to call them. we all should. I'll report back with my results.

Last edited by milo99 : 11-03-2008 at 11:24 AM.