TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
mnmsmith

How Much is a Slightly Used Tivo HD Worth?

I bought the Tivo Series 3 HD three months ago and attached a 750 GB Seagate external drive to it. Accessories (cabling, remote, etc.) have never been removed from the box. I have had it with Comcast so I switched to DirecTV, so I unfortunately can no longer us the Tivo. Just not sure how much it is worth. Ideas?
mnmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
henderpa

It's worth no more than $20. Since I'm generous, I'll offer you $25 for it.
henderpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
mnmsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderpa View Post
It's worth no more than $20. Since I'm generous, I'll offer you $25 for it.
Sounds pretty fair...

Let me sleep on that one...
mnmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
dshinnick

Oh, standard answer I think; check completed auctions on Ebay. And, I assume it doesn't have Lifetime, right?
dshinnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
rainwater

The first question is what type of TiVo do you have? You said it was a S3 but in the thread title you state "Tivo HD". You can look on ebay to determine what the particular TiVo you have is selling at.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
atmuscarella

Depending on where you live ABC, CBS, CW, ION, FOX, MyTV, NBC, or PBS may be available OTA. If they are and you watch those networks much I would keep your TiVo and connect it to an antenna. If you find OTA works for well for you, having both your TiVo and the direct DVR would be great, plus OTA HD is better than direct's HD for the same stations.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
bboncorr

i hated the directv DVR and that was the main reason i switched back to comcast. directv ended up giving me all kinds of nonsense about their dvr not recording shows. i kept getting blank screens 2x a week. this issue has been going on for over 2 years and rather then have a recall they just keep saying our techs are working on a fix. when i told the high up CSR from directv that this issue has been going on for over 2 years she pretty much responded "oh well deal with it" and "you're in a valid contract" after i asked about breaking my contract due poor service.

directv showed me their true stripes that day. everytime i had something go wrong they pretty much blew it off as no big deal. in 1 year of service i had more things go wrong then my entire life of having cable service. then when you break down the overall price of service it's easy to see comcast will give you a better offer once you mention directv. i now save about $20 a month for a comparable service which i was getting from directv. i'm also useing what seems to be a much more stable DVR.
bboncorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
Follow Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboncorr View Post
she pretty much responded "oh well deal with it" and "you're in a valid contract" after i asked about breaking my contract due poor service.
I had a very similar instance when I left DirecTV. I called and suspended my account because my family was moving. We were finally ready to get the service re-activated after about 5 months in the new house. During that time off, even though my account was suspended they auto-renewed my NFL package. When we went to re-activate we were informed we owed $250 for it even though it was now after the season. After being "escalated" 3 times and still not getting the charge removed, I informed them that if the did not remove it I would switching to cable. I had been with DirecTV since it launched 10 years prior - back when the Movie channels were on a seperate service called USSB. I pointed out they would be throwing away $120 a month for possibly another 10 years over a $250 error. When I then asked if they really wanted me to leave, the guy literally said "You are more than welcome to." It's been cable ever since.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
jmpage2

A check of Craigs List and eBay show that used Tivo HD units go for very nearly retail price assuming that they are in good shape.

I bought my 2nd one from Amazon for $237 shipped because used prices were just too high.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
darksurtur

Just a word of warning. I'm not sure what Tivos up selling for on Craigslist, but at least on Ebay, prices are somewhat inflated right now because of the 30% cashback rebate Microsoft is giving on buy it now purchases. That's likely to be driving up the selling prices - it seems to be reflected in price difference between auctions (say, $150-200) and buy it now ($250+) on used HDs. (Can you tell I've been looking?)
darksurtur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #11
ledman

Used HD units are close to retail pricing... in fact Refurb ones are pretty good deal at TiVo's website.

BTW: Any drawbacks to a refub versus new TiVoHD , is warranty the same? Looks like a $60 savings.
ledman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
Ladd Morse

One would think that used TiVo HD prices on the open market should be lower than the refurbished units offered by Tivo.

The Tivo refurb units would come with a warranty and the open market used ones would not. Why pay the same or more for a unit that wouldn't have a warranty AND you have the risk of it being stolen or not working or getting a box of books or whatever?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #13
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledman View Post
Used HD units are close to retail pricing... in fact Refurb ones are pretty good deal at TiVo's website.

BTW: Any drawbacks to a refub versus new TiVoHD , is warranty the same? Looks like a $60 savings.
The drawback for some people is that you can't qualify for the multi-room discount with a refurbished unit since Tivo says you are already getting a discount.

That's why I spent the extra $50 to get a brand new unit at $238 from Amazon instead of a refurb from Tivo.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #14
DrewTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
The drawback for some people is that you can't qualify for the multi-room discount with a refurbished unit since Tivo says you are already getting a discount.
It's probably been said before, but that makes so little sense--you're getting a discount because it's refurb instead of new.
DrewTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewTivo View Post
It's probably been said before, but that makes so little sense--you're getting a discount because it's refurb instead of new.
I agree. The discount is because it's a REFURB and it should have nothing to do with your ability to qualify for MRD.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #16
murph3699

I recently bought a slightly used Tivo HD (used for about a month) on CL for $175. He wanted $200 initially but I mentioned the price for a refurb from Tivo, we agreed to the lower price.
murph3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksurtur View Post
Just a word of warning. I'm not sure what Tivos up selling for on Craigslist, but at least on Ebay, prices are somewhat inflated right now because of the 30% cashback rebate Microsoft is giving on buy it now purchases. That's likely to be driving up the selling prices - it seems to be reflected in price difference between auctions (say, $150-200) and buy it now ($250+) on used HDs. (Can you tell I've been looking?)
30% cashback that MICROSOFT is giving on buy-it now purchases??? Huh? What are you talking about?
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #18
darksurtur

It's a partnership that works by going through Microsoft's Live search engine (http://search.live.com/cashback). It's apparently down to 25 percent now, by the way. Umm, more info here if you need it: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...uid=0&t=952519.
darksurtur is offline   Reply With Quote