TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
gcsheph

Why Comcast cablecards "go away"??

I have a situation where Comcast cablecards worked just fine for a long time and then one day all channels from 100+ just disappeared. Programs that were recording in HD now didn't record ("Not authorized") and the cablecard test shows "no channels available". The DVR diagnostics screen is empty of data. Any idea what would cause this (bad) behavior? Comcast looked at it while I was on the phone and said they fixed it but really didn't so someone is coming out. This is true of both cablecards for the Series 3HD unit.
gcsheph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Parkmad

I had one "fail" this week after more than two years. They replaced it and all is good. Of course, it took some adamant discussion to convince them that I did indeed need 2 cards and not one multi-stream card.

I am putting it into the category that electronics fail.
Parkmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Das Achteck

Comcast has been known to send signals to its STBs which can mess up CCs. Rebooting the card(s) sometimes works to clean up the mess, just like with your computer. Pull the cards one at a time for a minute and reinsert and see if that helps.

Comcast CSRs now want to send a "refresh" signal as a cure all. Don't let them do it.
Das Achteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
kingkong316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkmad View Post
I had one "fail" this week after more than two years. They replaced it and all is good. Of course, it took some adamant discussion to convince them that I did indeed need 2 cards and not one multi-stream card.

I am putting it into the category that electronics fail.
Wait. Why did you need two card if they were offering you an multistream card?
kingkong316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkong316 View Post
Wait. Why did you need two card if they were offering you an multistream card?
The S3 needs 2 cards no matter what type.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
TolloNodre
En Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Achteck View Post
Comcast has been known to send signals to its STBs which can mess up CCs. Rebooting the card(s) sometimes works to clean up the mess, just like with your computer. Pull the cards one at a time for a minute and reinsert and see if that helps.

Comcast CSRs now want to send a "refresh" signal as a cure all. Don't let them do it.
IIRC, you DO NOT want to pull the cards out of the slots once they're paired and authorized. It resets the Data ID for the cards and you have to call Comcast to reset them. Assuming you can even convince someone to do it without a truck roll.

You can accomplish the same 'hard reset' by simply unplugging the TiVo itself and resetting it that way. I've had to do that in the past when the TiVo seems to 'lose' signal on the CCs.
TolloNodre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
rvsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TolloNodre View Post
IIRC, you DO NOT want to pull the cards out of the slots once they're paired and authorized. It resets the Data ID for the cards and you have to call Comcast to reset them.
As long as the card is put back into the same slot that it was removed from it will not reset the card and it will work fine. I have done this several times without any problem.
rvsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
TolloNodre
En Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsj View Post
As long as the card is put back into the same slot that it was removed from it will not reset the card and it will work fine. I have done this several times without any problem.
Perhaps - but I've read where others have experienced problems. I guess it depends on time out of the slot or something.

You can still accomplish the same thing - and fix other issues - by a hard reset (pulling the plug) without the risk of pulling the cards.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsj View Post
As have I....more than once.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
retired_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
As have I....more than once.
me too
retired_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #11
TolloNodre
En Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired_guy View Post
me too
I stand corrected!
Old 10-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #12
gcsheph

Just a note that I did power off and back on the Tivo and still neither card works (above channel 100). It seems odd that both would 'break' at the same time - it would appear that something came downline from Comcast that disabled them. I will report back after the Comcast visit. I just hope they send someone who has a clue about cablecards - I made a BIG deal of this as they have a lot of techs who have no experience in this area. Thanks for all the notes.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #13
Das Achteck

Well, a reboot doesn't always work.

One of the most frustrating experiences I have had was when Comcast sent something that was designed to stop a leak of the music channels to people who did not subscribe to a tier that included them. It really messed up CCs on some types of accounts and it took a week of work with a very knowledgeable tech to get it fixed. It turned out that it was a software problem and I became part of a Beta test so to speak. He would send out something and I would report back on the results.

This was before they shut down the CC tech line and I shudder to think how long it would take to fix something like that if it happened again.
Das Achteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
posterChild

I'm also curious how this turns out. I had my card in slot 2 of my Series3 fail a couple months back in the same way. Couldn't see any HD channels other than local programming. I did multiple tech-support calls with attempts to 'hit' the card and restart the Tivo. None of them worked permanently. After an hour/day it would be back to missing channels. I ended up getting a new card installed and that 'failed' after 24 hours. Now, I can consistently eject the card in #2 slot, reinsert it, and restart Tivo to get my channels back... for about 24 hours.

I'm very inclined to think that this is a problem with Charter (I realize the OP is on Comcast) rather than tivo, but I did find a a thread here that suggest that the slot might be bad?!?!?!

In my case, I get a gray screen and as far as Tivo is concerned, it's receiving the channel. When I truly don't get a channel, it kindly tells me so onscreen.

In any case, please keep us posted as to your resolution.

posterChild
posterChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #15
gcsheph

OK. The tech came out and said that he had to put through a "hit" to the cards. (I knew it was VERY unlikely for both to conk out at the same time.) He did the magic from his phone and all the missing channels above 100 came back. I asked why the office 'hit' didn't work and he said (at least here) the customer service folks weren't allowed to do that kind of 'hit' and only the techs could do it - "security issue". How dumb is that? Not only was my time taken up but they had to drive all the all the way out here for something they could have done from the office. And they had no theories as to why the channels went away in the first place. Another of life's little mysteries to remain unsolved.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #16
posterChild

Hopefully yours is fixed. Please post back here if it fails again. You're on step 4 or 5 of the same path I've taken over the past 6 weeks or so. Mine was ok for a little bit and then, as mysteriously as before, lost channels. I kinda wonder how often they let the monkeys whack buttons at the 'head end' of things. Seems as good a reason as any as to why things that work for months and months suddenly stop working. *shrug*

Thanks for posting back gcsheph.

posterChild
posterChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
gcsheph

Well, not good news. The 'fix' noted previously worked. However, 3 days later, I find that one of the 2 cablecards is again not decoding channels >100 (while the other appears to be fine). Comcast is coming out yet again! These cards seem to be a neverending drama, not to mention unreliable.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #18
optomos

Its a Comcast issue. Comcast waists more money and time then needed. They also like to say "Why are you using CC, you should get our DVR"; yea in your dreams.
optomos is offline   Reply With Quote