Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #61
smatson

S1 in usa have the same problems ?!! maybe they will fix it
smatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #62
cwaring
VM Tivo User

It's not related, according to Tivo Pony. Link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with the new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

cwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #63
smatson

We will see
Old 09-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #64
Pete77

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaring View Post
It's not related, according to Tivo Pony. Link.
In which case why can't we have the version 3 software the US Series 1 Tivos are running if Suggestions are unaffected with that version of the software.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #65
bugmenever

This is a bloody disgrace. I hope that some of the expert resident hackers here get something cobbled together to bring this feature back, or I may as well get a refund of my lifetime subscription and put it towards an alternative PVR.
bugmenever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #66
TCM2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete77 View Post
In which case why can't we have the version 3 software the US Series 1 Tivos are running if Suggestions are unaffected with that version of the software.
v3 is the same as v 2.5.5 to all intents and purposes; they numbered the US version differently. The differences are mainly in the localisation.

There would be a significant cost to making changes to the software, testing it and then deploying it (a major download, at TiVo's expense). There is no return for making that investment in supporting an ancient bit of software used by a handful of people.

I don't understand some posters aggressive attitude. I find it amazing, and greatly to TiVo's credit, that the service exists at all so many years after it went off sale.
TCM2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #67
Pete77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM2007 View Post
I don't understand some posters aggressive attitude. I find it amazing, and greatly to TiVo's credit, that the service exists at all so many years after it went off sale.
And this from a man who willingly admits to having entirely ceased using all his Tivos and having defected entirely to the Windows MCE camp and before that the Sky HD camp. Also a man who has a large salary with a major publishing house and so can regularly afford to trash his existing hardware gadgets that are still functioning perfectly well just so that he can have the very latest biggest and brightest new thing.

Well Mr I Always Buy What Is Fashionable For The Next Five Minutes I can tell you that some of us have Yorkshire genes and expect our hardware and software to be well built and to last longer than the interval between one hair cut and the next.

Sorry but I really couldn't let you get away with the above post and your view that the well paid men in suits are always right. And don't we know anyway from the current banking crisis that frequently they aren't but are merely following the pack in the hope of the next big salary increase and bonus payment...........
Old 09-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #68
TCM2007

[quote=Pete77;6726482]
Also aren't Tribune Media Services now in breach of contract by providing data in a format not compatible with the continued support of the Tivo Series 1 machines? [quote]

Actually, my guess is the error lies with TiVo in not programming the device to cope with TMSIDs over 7 digits (or whatever the change is)

Quote:
Alternatively Tivo would appear to be in breach of contract to the Lifetime Subscription customers and we should therefore all be entitled to a significant refund of the original cost of the Lifetime Sub? Similarly the cost of a Monthly Sub should also be reduced to reflect the downgraded service now available.
The T&C say TiVo can vary the service at any time. You have the right to cancel if you don't like it. I would say that anyone who has taken out a lifetime in the last 19 months and who wants to cancel their service should get a refund of £199/20 for each month short of 20 they received the service for.

Any other lifetimers have had full value, and monthly payers just need to decide if it's still worth £10 or not.

Quote:
The Suggestions concept with the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down buttons on the remote is at the very heart of what a Tivo is about and is one of its key patented features. To my mind without the continued availability of Suggestions then the service we will continue to enjoy is not really a Tivo service at all but merely a cut down ordinary PVR service.
It's already been established that several of the most evangelical TiVoers on this board don't use it, so it's hard to see it being "at the very heart" of what TiVo is.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #69
mdolan

Quote:
I find it amazing, and greatly to TiVo's credit, that the service exists at all so many years after it went off sale.
I think this is the crux of the issue. In the UK, Thomson stopped supplying the hardware and Tivo decided NOT to partner with another manufacture and also decided that they would not upgrade the SERVICE or allow machines shipped from the US to operate with UK guide data.

The service is still operational and Tivo are very happily taking money for the service. I can buy a 2nd hand Tivo, phone up Tivo (via Sky) and pay them for the service. So you cannot say that the service went "off sale" - only the ability to buy brand new boxes in the high street.

Now - nothing has happened to our boxes. The service has changed (for the worse) and Tivo has decided this acceptable and to heck with the UK paying customers. It makes no issue if it is a monthly sub or a lifetime sub. I payed my money to Tivo for the service. I paid my money to the shop for the box.

At no point have Tivo announced a withdrawal of service. It doesnt matter if they have 1 customer or 1 million. They still offer the service and it is no longer the service they advertise.

I'm personally very unhappy with how Tivo are handling (or rather NOT handling) this. The UK service has always been a poor cousin and now they are again showing that they really don't care. My opinion is the only reason that they are fixing the subs issue is that directly affects the money coming in (i.e. if customers have to keep phoning every few days they *will* leave). I suspect they are just banking on the idea that Suggestions being disabled will not lead to a significant drop in subs.

Cheers,
Mike
mdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #70
smatson

And get rid of all old people to
Old 09-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #71
Pete77

Quote:
If anyone's running my Tracker application - this also works by maintaining a database of TMSIDs and I'd be interested to know if that's broken too.
I'm still running it and it is completely unaffected by the Suggestions problem alleged to be due to changes in TMSID format.

Looking at the below set of Tracker details for Randall & Hopkirk Deceased I can't see anything different about the format of the TMSID after the alleged date of change that broke Suggestions compared to the format of the TMSID before that date.

So perhaps Tribune is being economical with the truth about the real cause of the problem with Suggestions.

Quote:
EP5915300001 My Late Lamented Friend and Partner Fri 01 Aug 08 WishList User Watched (35mins) Delete
EP5915300002 A Disturbing Case Fri 08 Aug 08 WishList User Watched (18mins) Delete
EP5915300003 All Work and No Pay Fri 15 Aug 08 WishList User Watched (1mins) Delete
EP5915300004 Never Trust a Ghost Tue 19 Aug 08 WishList User Watched (1mins) Delete
EP5915300005 That's How Murder Snowballs Fri 22 Aug 08 WishList User Watched (2mins) Delete
EP5915300006 Just for the Record Tue 26 Aug 08 WishList User Watched (To-Do Delete) Delete
EP5915300007 Murder Ain't What It Used to Be Fri 29 Aug 08 WishList User Watched (0mins) Delete
EP5915300008 Whoever Heard of a Ghost Dying? Tue 02 Sep 08 WishList TiVo Watched (3mins) Delete
EP5915300009 The House on Haunted Hill Tue 09 Sep 08 WishList User Watched (0mins) Delete
EP5915300010 When Did You Start to Stop Seeing Things? Thu 11 Sep 08 WishList User Watched (32mins) Delete
EP5915300011 The Ghost Who Saved the Bank at Monte Carlo Thu 18 Sep 08 WishList User Watched (58mins) Delete
EP5915300012 For the Girl Who Has Everything Thu 25 Sep 08 WishList User Watched (2mins) Delete

EP5915300013 But What a Sweet Little Room Fri 11 Apr 08 WishList User Watched (80mins) Delete
EP5915300014 Who Killed **** Robin? Tue 20 May 08 WishList User Watched (1mins) Delete
EP5915300015 The Man from Nowhere Tue 27 May 08 WishList User Watched (1mins) Delete
EP5915300016 When the Spirit Moves You Tue 03 Jun 08 WishList User Watched (0mins) Delete
EP5915300017 Somebody Just Walked Over My Grave Fri 09 May 08 WishList User Watched (1mins) Delete
EP5915300018 Could You Recognise the Man Again? Tue 17 Jun 08 WishList User Watched (2mins) Delete
EP5915300019 A Sentimental Journey Tue 24 Jun 08 WishList User Watched (0mins) Delete
EP5915300020 Money to Burn Fri 30 May 08 WishList User Watched (126mins) Delete
EP5915300021 The Ghost Talks Fri 13 Jun 08 WishList User Watched (68mins) Delete
EP5915300022 It's Supposed to Be Thicker Than Water Fri 20 Jun 08 WishList User Watched (50mins) Delete
EP5915300023 The Trouble with Women Fri 27 Jun 08 WishList User Watched (54mins) Delete
EP5915300024 Vendetta for a Dead Man Fri 11 Jul 08 WishList User Watched (57mins) Delete
EP5915300025 You Can Always Find a Fall Guy Fri 18 Jul 08 WishList User Watched (53mins) Delete
EP5915300026 The Smile Behind the Veil Fri 25 Jul 08 WishList User Watched (1mins) Delete

Old 09-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #72
Pete77

OK just realised the TMSID problem will only affect entirely new episodes after the change date and not repeats of programs that already have a TMSID. Off to look at a current series with new episodes now.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #73
TCM2007

Quote:
loads of tedious personal comments designed to wind me up deleted
My comment was only that f you'd told me back in 2003, when TiVo shut up shop in the UK, that the service would still be being provided over five years later I would have been surprised. People were um-ing and ah-ing about whether it was wise to take out a lifetime sub at that point as there was doubt about whether it would last two years.

I don't understand why people should be angry. They've paid for the subscription in the past and got what they obviously felt to be good value. this change doesn't effect that.

Obviously the service is reduced and monthly payers need to decide if it still constitutsd good value. if not they can cancel and buy an alternative PVR.

But why anger?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #74
Pete77

Quote:
It's already been established that several of the most evangelical TiVoers on this board don't use it, so it's hard to see it being "at the very heart" of what TiVo is.
Then why are those big Red and Green Thumbs buttons by far the largest buttons on every Tivo remote?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #75
TCM2007

Quote:
OK just realised the TMSID problem will only affect entirely new episodes after the change date and not repeats of programs that already have a TMSID. Off to look at a current series with new episodes now.
Those are episode TMSIDs. Thumbs are attached to series.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #76
TCM2007

Quote:
Then why are those big Red and Green Thumbs buttons by far the largest buttons on every Tivo remote?
Is that really the best argument you can come up with?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #77
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenever View Post
...or I may as well get a refund of my lifetime subscription and put it towards an alternative PVR.
Right. So you want a full refund just because one smal aspect (and not even the main one) of your unit isn't working.

See what I mean about an over-reaction!

Quote:
Sorry but I really couldn't let you get away with the above post .........
Whereas I actually agree with him.

Quote:
Obviously the service is reduced and monthly payers need to decide if it still constitutsd good value. if not they can cancel and buy an alternative PVR.
As long as Season Passes still work, I'm totally happy. Wishlists are an added (but useful) bonus. Suggestions I never used.

with the new

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

Last edited by cwaring : 09-30-2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: To concantenate my replies
cwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #78
mdolan

Quote:
I don't understand why people should be angry. They've paid for the subscription in the past and got what they obviously felt to be good value. this change doesn't effect that.

But why anger?
I can't speak for anyone else. In my posts I've expressed disappointment and unhappiness

However this is not about the past. Tivo today are still happy to take money from UK users. What disappointments me is that they did not announce it, they waited for a lot of users to complain. And when they eventually posted back it was "aah, tough luck guys".

Personally I dont care if someone has had a monthly sub for 1 day, 1 month, or 100 years. And the same goes for lifetime subs. Tivo based their business model around subs and service and are now not even announcing the changes - just degrading the service and taking the same money.

That's what disappoints me - and possibly angers others.

It's also worth noting that some users have done Tivo a favour by modding their Tivos to download data over the internet, thus saving Tivo a pretty penny in phone calls.

Tivo has/had a good fanbase and unfortunately like many corporations have lost touch and decided that the very customers who bought their products are no longer "worthy" of support.

Like I said previously - disappointing.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #79
Pete77

Quote:
Is that really the best argument you can come up with?
Seems a pretty good argument to me. If the feature wasn't one of Tivo's biggest then why are the buttons so big and so prominently coloured. I also recall that when I got my Tivo that being able to Thumbs programs and look at the impact on Suggestions was one of its most exciting and innovative features.

I really don't think we need to be lectured by someone who has not remained loyal to the product and so is bound not to care whether the service to remaining users has been unacceptably diminished.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #80
tivo525235

In my view this is completely unacceptable. One of the major selling points of the Tivo was how it worked like someone in your house automatically finding things you might like to watch. To remove such a feature is a breach of contract no matter how much they might like to think they can reduce the service at will. No court would allow them to remove such a key feature.

With their recent release of Tivo in Australia this seems especially unwise as bad PR from the UK is likely to spread as the world is global now.

Our lifetime subscription is for guide data AND software updates. As someone who purchased a Tivo after the 2.55 release I have had no software updates and now when an update is required they seem to want to forget the deal they agreed to.

While some may define lifetime as any amount > 20 months, in reality they defined it as the life of the unit. As our units are still functioning perfectly by definition we must still be within the lifetime of the unit.

For the US Series 1 units I can imagine their solution will be to exchange their S1 units with S2 units if there are sufficient complaints, but this is not a viable solution in the UK due to no fault of our own. The previous suggestion of the beta version of the PC version is interesting, or perhaps allowing us to import the Australian tivos at a discount and adding UK guide data for us would be a nice gesture.

I believe Tivo have made a serious misjudgement here and I implore them to reconsider it.

Do we know who our contract is with?
tivo525235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #81
TCM2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdolan View Post
What disappointments me is that they did not announce it, they waited for a lot of users to complain. And when they eventually posted back it was "aah, tough luck guys".

Personally I dont care if someone has had a monthly sub for 1 day, 1 month, or 100 years. And the same goes for lifetime subs. Tivo based their business model around subs and service and are now not even announcing the changes - just degrading the service and taking the same money.

That's what disappoints me - and possibly angers others.
I'm confused - TiVoPony has come on here and told us exactly what happened, so far as we know as soon as it was possible to do so. Are you saying TiVo should have pre-announced that they were going to accidentally break suggestions?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #82
Pete77

Tracker is still managing to track new episodes of programs in longstanding season passes despite the TMSID for the series allegedly now having a new format.

So it still seems that Tivo's excuse for Suggestions no longer working does not add up. See below example for Fifth Gear.

Quote:
EP5042945071 Mon 31 Oct 05 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP5042945073 Mon 07 Nov 05 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP5042945074 Mon 14 Nov 05 Season Pass User Watched (0mins) Delete
EP5042945075 Mon 21-11-05 Mon 21 Nov 05 Season Pass TiVo Watched (46mins) Delete
EP5042945077 Mon 05-12-05 Mon 05 Dec 05 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP5042945081 The Best of 5th Gear - Supercars Mon 27 Mar 06 Season Pass User Watched (57mins) Delete
EP5042945082 The Best of Fifth Gear: Races Mon 03 Apr 06 Season Pass User Watched (0mins) Delete
EP5042945083 Mon 10-04-06 Mon 10 Apr 06 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP5042945084 Mon 17-04-06 Mon 17 Apr 06 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP5042945085 Mon 24-04-06 Mon 24 Apr 06 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP5042945087 Sat 13-05-06 Sat 13 May 06 Suggestion TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945108 Mon 06-11-06 Mon 06 Nov 06 Season Pass User Watched (33mins) Delete
EP5042945109 Mon 13-11-06 Mon 13 Nov 06 Season Pass User Watched (114mins) Delete
EP5042945112 Mon 11-12-06 Mon 11 Dec 06 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP5042945113 Mon 18-12-06 Mon 18 Dec 06 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP5042945114 Mon 30-04-07 Mon 30 Apr 07 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945115 Sat 12-05-07 Mon 07 May 07 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945116 Sat 19 May 07 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945117 Mon 21-05-07 Mon 21 May 07 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945118 Mon 28-05-07 Mon 28 May 07 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945119 Sat 09-06-07 Sat 09 Jun 07 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945120 Sat 16 Jun 07 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945122 Sat 30-06-07 Sat 30 Jun 07 Season Pass User Watched (To-Do Delete) Delete
EP5042945137 Mon 03-09-07 Mon 03 Sep 07 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945140 Sat 29-09-07 Sat 29 Sep 07 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945141 Mon 17-09-07 Sat 22 Sep 07 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945144 Mon 01-10-07 Sat 06 Oct 07 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945146 Sat 13-10-07 Sat 13 Oct 07 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945147 Mon 15-10-07 Sat 20 Oct 07 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945148 Mon 22-10-07 Sat 27 Oct 07 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945162 Mon 21-01-08 Mon 21 Jan 08 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945166 Mon 28-01-08 Mon 28 Jan 08 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945168 Sat 09-02-08 Sat 09 Feb 08 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945171 Sat 23-02-08 Sat 23 Feb 08 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945172 Sat 01-03-08 Sat 01 Mar 08 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP5042945176 Sat 15-03-08 Sat 15 Mar 08 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945177 Mon 17-03-08 Mon 17 Mar 08 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP5042945178 Mon 24-03-08 Mon 24 Mar 08 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP5042945207 Supercar v Race car Sun 06 Jul 08 Season Pass User Watched (To-Do Delete) Delete
EP5042945208 Dom Joly Drives a Tank Sat 12 Jul 08 Season Pass User Watched (To-Do Delete) Delete
EP5042945209 Tue 12-08-08 Tue 12 Aug 08 Suggestion TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945211 Sun 24-08-08 Sun 24 Aug 08 Season Pass User Watched (To-Do Delete) Delete
EP5042945214 Sun 07-09-08 Sun 07 Sep 08 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945216 Sun 14-09-08 Sun 14 Sep 08 Season Pass User Watched (To-Do Delete) Delete
EP5042945220 Sat 20-09-08 Sat 20 Sep 08 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP5042945221 Sat 27-09-08 Sat 27 Sep 08 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete

SH5042940000 Generic Tue 15 Nov 05 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete

Old 09-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #83
Pete77

Or this example for Dispatches. Again new episodes first broadcast since the alleged TMSID problem are still being tracked against the same series ID.

Quote:
EP2249275112 The Court of Ken Mon 28 Jan 08 Season Pass User Watched (11mins) Delete
EP2249275113 Why Kids Kill Fri 08 Feb 08 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP2249275114 Heat or Eat: The Pensioners' Dilemma Mon 11 Feb 08 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP2249275115 The Children Left Behind Mon 18 Feb 08 Season Pass User Watched (To-Do Delete) Delete
EP2249275116 How the Banks Bet Your Money Mon 25 Feb 08 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP2249275117 Checking-In to Airport Chaos Mon 03 Mar 08 Season Pass User Watched (52mins) Delete
EP2249275118 Iraq's Lost Generation Sun 16 Mar 08 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP2249275119 Iraq: The Betrayal Thu 20 Mar 08 Season Pass User Watched (To-Do Delete) Delete
EP2249275120 Undercover in Tibet Mon 31 Mar 08 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP2249275121 The Mobile Phone Rip-Off Mon 28 Apr 08 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP2249275122 The Truth About Beauty Creams Mon 12 May 08 Season Pass User Watched (To-Do Delete) Delete
EP2249275123 In God's Name Mon 19 May 08 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP2249275124 Warlords Next Door? Mon 26 May 08 Season Pass User Watched (To-Do Delete) Delete
EP2249275125 Gordon Brown: Where Did It All Go Wrong? Mon 09 Jun 08 Season Pass User Watched (1mins) Delete
EP2249275126 From Jail to Jihad Mon 16 Jun 08 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP2249275127 The Truth About Food Prices Mon 23 Jun 08 Season Pass TiVo Unwatched Delete
EP2249275128 The Truth About Street Weapons Tue 09 Sep 08 Season Pass User Watched (To-Do Delete) Delete
EP2249275129 A Widow's War on Yobs Thu 10 Jul 08 Season Pass User Watched (To-Do Delete) Delete
EP2249275130 It Shouldn't Happen to a Muslim Sun 13 Jul 08 Season Pass User Watched (To-Do Delete) Delete
EP2249275131 The Jab That Can Stop Cancer Thu 24 Jul 08 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete
EP2249275132 Sandwiches Unwrapped Thu 31 Jul 08 Season Pass User Watched (0mins) Delete
EP2249275133 How the Banks Never Lose Thu 28 Aug 08 Season Pass User Watched (0mins) Delete
EP2249275134 Undercover Mosque: The Return Tue 09 Sep 08 Season Pass User Watched (To-Do Delete) Delete
EP2249275136 What's in Your Wine? Mon 22 Sep 08 Season Pass User Unwatched Delete

Old 09-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #84
TCM2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivo525235 View Post
To remove such a feature is a breach of contract no matter how much they might like to think they can reduce the service at will. No court would allow them to remove such a key feature.

Do we know who our contract is with?
It was with TiVo UK, presumably now with TiVo US..

But this talk of contracts is nonsense; a) the T&C agreement says explicitly that they can vary the service as and when they like, and b) since you can cancel the contract without penalty at any time, the damage caused by tiVo being "in breach" is zero.

The exception being recent lifetimers.

20 months comes in because people took out lifetimes not to have their beloved Series 1s still working while they sat in their retirement , but to save money over having a monthly sub. Once that's been achieved then there is no material damage from a reduction in service level, and therfore no basis for a claim.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #85
mdolan

Quote:
I'm confused - TiVoPony has come on here and told us exactly what happened, so far as we know as soon as it was possible to do so. Are you saying TiVo should have pre-announced that they were going to accidentally break suggestions?
I'm saying it is rather symptomatic of Tivos mode of operation in the UK. We waited weeks after problems were posted here (and many people making telephone calls). No information was forthcoming and no official Tivo statement of "ok, we'll look into it" - but that is because Tivo has been happily ignoring the UK. The only other "recent" posting was when the subs model was directly threatened. Amazing how they found manpower to not only investigate the subs problem but actually fix it. Money talks

Back to suggestions. Eventually Tivo blame Tribune for a change and say "tough". Now, given that Tivo are still selling and charging for the service they have a responsibility for maintenance of the service. Note - we don't pay Tribune for the service. We pay Tivo.

So obviously no-one in Tivo HQ is monitoring the provided service. Or if they are, then this should have been spotted and actioned long before this stage or an announcement should have been made sooner.

As it stands, we get a belated announcement blaming everyone but themselves and refusing to fix the issue. I thought Tivo wrote the software for our boxes?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #86
Pete77

Quote:
20 months comes in because people took out lifetimes not to have their beloved Series 1s still working while they sat in their retirement , but to save money over having a monthly sub. Once that's been achieved then there is no material damage from a reduction in service level, and therfore no basis for a claim.
No their expectation might have been to reduce the level of Monthly Sub to less than £1 per month. In which case their objective has not yet been achieved.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #87
TCM2007

Quote:
Tracker is still managing to track new episodes of programs in longstanding season passes despite the TMSID for the series allegedly now having a new format.

So it still seems that Tivo's excuse for Suggestions no longer working does not add up. See below example for Fifth Gear.
As I said, thumbs are stored against series IDs. The examples you have posted are for series ids which pre-date the changes.

And even if the number looks the same to you, it might not be to TiVo, eg 12345 can be represented as a 16-bit or a 32-bit integer. Looks the same to you and me, but is utterly different to a computer.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #88
TCM2007

Quote:
No their expectation might have been to reduce the level of Monthly Sub to less than £1 per month. In which case their objective has not yet been achieved.
That makes even less sense than the "size of button = importance of feature" argument.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #89
Pete77

Quote:
And even if the number looks the same to you, it might not be to TiVo, eg 12345 can be represented as a 16-bit or a 32-bit integer. Looks the same to you and me, but is utterly different to a computer.
You seem to be sticking with your view that we mere hick users cannot query Lord God Tivo's position.

But anyhow I think you are now saying I need to start recording programs from series that are new in the last week or two and see if they are Tracked.

Last edited by Pete77 : 09-30-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Pete77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #90
Pete77

Quote:
That makes even less sense than the "size of button = importance of feature" argument.
Are you this dismissive of opposing points of view at work too?