TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #301
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJH View Post
One point to remember is that they are no longer selling the product
TiVo sell a service, not a product. The service is still available. Today.

”ɥɐɹɹnɥ ˙oʌıʇ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɥʇıʍ ʍou
kitschcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #302
RichardJH

Quote:
Do you actually think that removing a feature and not telling your customers you have done so is a good way to do business? I'd be interested to know
NO

It certainly could have been handled better. As it happens none of the 3 Tivos that I use/manage have suggestions switched on so consequently I am unaffected by this BUT I just hope that we do not lose any more features

Quote:
Point taken
RichardJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #303
Goooner1

As has been mentioned, only part of the service has ceased and yet they are still charging the full amount for a less than full service.

As to the car being sold with a 5 year rust proofing guarantee, if I'd bought a car with that and was paying a monthly premium indefinitely for that guarantee, I would expect to be paying it after 5 years when the service was no longer being provided.

Sadly, I have now cancelled my direct debit, so once the service is terminated, I'll be disconnecting it and relying on Sky HD and Digiguide.

I still think that TiVo has been the best gadget I've ever owned and I've had some fantastic service from it. Had I been on a lifetime sub, I'd have continued to use it, but I'm no longer prepared to pay full price for only a partial service.
Goooner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #304
DeadKenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitschcamp View Post
I'd take every day as it comes and not expect the service to be available tomorrow when it comes to TiVo

Sucks yes. Monthly subscribers can get their current month's sub back. Lifetime subscribers can take it to court if they like but it will cost a lot and really they have it stitched up in the T&Cs you agreed to.

Frankly, it's over (or nearly, give it a year tops). Move on and buy something else I'm afraid.

Lasted a hell of a lot longer than most consumer electronics these days though.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #305
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny View Post
Frankly, it's over (or nearly, give it a year tops). Move on and buy something else I'm afraid.
We've hear that a few times before now too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with the new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

cwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:02 AM   #306
TCM2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooner1 View Post
As has been mentioned, only part of the service has ceased and yet they are still charging the full amount for a less than full service.
They've removed this part of the service, but in the past they've ADDED things to the service, and didn't put the price up. Anyone subscribing before the summer of 2002 is still net up on what they originally subscribed to.

I do agree that TiVo should communicate this change to their customers.
TCM2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #307
warrenrb
Quiet Member

What did they add?
warrenrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:22 AM   #308
hazydaze

Padding. Tivo was useless for bbc before then--'twas a happy day.

More controversially they also added TCP's (Tivo Central Promotions). It was bitter!

TBH I'm unaware of a freeview recorder that functions with seasonm passes as well as tivo--and for that I am happy to keep it.

How does Media Centre fare--if Tivo ever died would this make a total telly replacement solution??
hazydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:21 AM   #309
martink0646

I think they added the Wishlist functionality at that point too.

Martin
Old 10-21-2008, 06:40 AM   #310
steveroe
Must do some work...

Possibly also Season Pass Manager?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:46 AM   #311
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

New additions in 2002:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...953#post366953

I'd forgotten how much was added there - quite a lot of the core features we now view as essential:
Wishlists, keep at most, SP manager, skip to tick...
Old 10-21-2008, 06:46 AM   #312
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Well here's what was new in v2.5.5. That's the upgrade y'all are referring to, yes?

@mikerr: SNAP!

with the new

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

cwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #313
AENG

Random Recordings

Trawling to the bottom of "Now Playing" (I don't go there very often ) I've discovered that my Freesat TiVo is still making its own recordings, even in the absence of "Suggestions", most recently:

"Wondrous Oblivion" 5/10 3:30 a.m. 104 (C4)
Ten Minute Rule Bill: Bats & Newts (Yes, really ) 6/10 10:50 a.m. 201 (BB)
"The Jungle Book" 18/10 1:05 p.m. 125 (More4P1)
"Racing's Great Escapes" 21/10 11:55 a.m. 450 (MM)

I don't understand the logic of this.
AENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #314
DanielB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENG View Post
Trawling to the bottom of "Now Playing" (I don't go there very often ) I've discovered that my Freesat TiVo is still making its own recordings, even in the absence of "Suggestions", most recently:

"Wondrous Oblivion" 5/10 3:30 a.m. 104 (C4)
Ten Minute Rule Bill: Bats & Newts (Yes, really ) 6/10 10:50 a.m. 201 (BB)
"The Jungle Book" 18/10 1:05 p.m. 125 (More4P1)
"Racing's Great Escapes" 21/10 11:55 a.m. 450 (MM)

I don't understand the logic of this.
Mine too.... in a totally random way it is now recording a suggestion, I have not yet installed slugs (I do plan too when I get a spare moment) but yes there is some suggestion activity and I am confussed have I missed something?

Is this a suggestion overflow side effect?

Any ideas greatly appriciated.
DanielB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #315
Tim L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
I have not yet installed slugs
Won't that be a bit messy? They'll leave trails all over your Now Playing list!
Tim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #316
Ashley
Aibo nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L View Post
Won't that be a bit messy? They'll leave trails all over your Now Playing list!
But if you installed Suggs that would be Madness
Old 10-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #317
ColinYounger
It wasn't me.

I wish we had thumbs up for posts here - I'd give Ashley's reply one straight away. Tim came close....
ColinYounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #318
Ashley
Aibo nut

We do have thumbs!
Old 10-24-2008, 12:22 AM   #319
OzSat
Very Nice Moderator

Old 10-24-2008, 03:42 AM   #320
CarlWalters
Yo Ho TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
But if you installed Suggs that would be Madness
Oh I wish I'd thought of that
CarlWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #321
DogmaLoki

Long thread. Came here because my suggestions weren't working, disappointing to see the results.

I'm split. I think that it's now just not working and Tivo hoped we didn't notice stinks. I saw no notification on my system that the feature was being withdrawn.

But I also understand that Tivo really isn't in the UK market. The fact they've supported S1 Tivos for so long I think is admirable, most companies wouldn't. I can't imagine they're making any money on it, and they've not upped the subscription fee in all the time that I've had it.

Sadly all the people jumping ship only adds weight for Tivo to withdraw the service. And surely there has to be a day where the diminishing returns mean the death of Tivo in the UK.

What I'd like is some sort of finality I think. Axe Tivo, and let me move on. Not to Sky+, that was programmed by chimps. But I'll work something out. Maybe if the service was axed there'd be a free-for-all in community development to get Tivo back alive without the control if Tivo Inc.

Or Tivo could open source it or something I'm sure, if it's so old they can't update it I don't see why they can't let the community get involved in some way.

I know these thoughts have probably been brought up 1000 times before, but I just wanted to chip in.

Incidentally I have often thought about if Tivo could make a return to the UK, and against Sky+ it'd be suicidal. What they should market is straight-swa Sky+ replacements. Market it as "Sky+ but better". I think the market is ready for it now. Particlarly with the buginess and lack of features on Sky+. And Tivo knows the difference between a hyphen and a dash in the EPG.
DogmaLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #322
gazter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogmaLoki View Post
Long thread. Came here because my suggestions weren't working, disappointing to see the results.

I'm split. I think that it's now just not working and Tivo hoped we didn't notice stinks. I saw no notification on my system that the feature was being withdrawn.

But I also understand that Tivo really isn't in the UK market. The fact they've supported S1 Tivos for so long I think is admirable, most companies wouldn't. I can't imagine they're making any money on it, and they've not upped the subscription fee in all the time that I've had it.

Sadly all the people jumping ship only adds weight for Tivo to withdraw the service. And surely there has to be a day where the diminishing returns mean the death of Tivo in the UK.

What I'd like is some sort of finality I think. Axe Tivo, and let me move on. Not to Sky+, that was programmed by chimps. But I'll work something out. Maybe if the service was axed there'd be a free-for-all in community development to get Tivo back alive without the control if Tivo Inc.

Or Tivo could open source it or something I'm sure, if it's so old they can't update it I don't see why they can't let the community get involved in some way.

I know these thoughts have probably been brought up 1000 times before, but I just wanted to chip in.

Incidentally I have often thought about if Tivo could make a return to the UK, and against Sky+ it'd be suicidal. What they should market is straight-swa Sky+ replacements. Market it as "Sky+ but better". I think the market is ready for it now. Particlarly with the buginess and lack of features on Sky+. And Tivo knows the difference between a hyphen and a dash in the EPG.
It is not feasible to compete against sky+ in the sky market now, they have total dominance, they give their sky+ boxes away free to recoup on subscription and their skyhd boxes can be had for under £100, or even free.

In such a scenario, tivo could only ever be a niche luxery product, ie Bose radio.

We all know that tivo is miles ahead of sky+ but the differences are very hard to explain, and justify.
Product A records tv, and is free
Product B records tv better and has a better interface, is £300 and £10 a month subscription.

uhm

Face it, Tivo is dead as a platform that can work with sky, and has probably missed the boat with a freeview platform, considering the market being flooded with hard drive based recorders.

I know its not fair, i know we are eventually going to lose tivo, but thats the way it is.
gazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #323
DogmaLoki

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazter View Post
In such a scenario, tivo could only ever be a niche luxery product, ie Bose radio.

We all know that tivo is miles ahead of sky+ but the differences are very hard to explain, and justify.
Product A records tv, and is free
Product B records tv better and has a better interface, is £300 and £10 a month subscription.
Being like Bose wouldn't be a bad thing! There is some stuff Tivo could do that Sky doesn't... for example transferring recorded files to a iPod and such.

But when I said the market was ready for it, actually I wasn't clear. I meant in a "they understand what a PVR is". But I don't think realistically Tivo would have a chance here. I was just thinking out loud as if they did come back, how could they do it?

But I am with you, I think Tivo will never return here, and just realistically Series 1 can't go on for ever. I think if people start cancelling now, we could be closer to the end than we think.
DogmaLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:28 AM   #324
davisa

There is (and has always been) a huge market from those of us who cannot or choose not to have Sky.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #325
worm
Damn The Man!

The Sky+ box may be free (or certainly very cheap) but the service itself is pretty damned expensive.
|
|
|

worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #326
JudyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
The Sky+ box may be free (or certainly very cheap) but the service itself is pretty damned expensive.
Clearly the Tivo software is better than Sky's, but by what measure is Sky+ "very expensive"?

If you subscribe to any Sky services the Sky+ service is free. If you do not subscribe to Sky then it costs £10 per month - exactly the same as a monthly Tivo subscription.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #327
worm
Damn The Man!

I must admit I didn't realise that you could get Sky+ independently of the Sky subscription - so I was counting both costs in that.

Do many people do that? Are there limits on the Sky+ service if you are not a Sky subscriber?
|
|
|

worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #328
JudyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
I must admit I didn't realise that you could get Sky+ independently of the Sky subscription - so I was counting both costs in that.

Do many people do that? Are there limits on the Sky+ service if you are not a Sky subscriber?
I don't know how many people have just the Sky+ sub.
The only limits on the service if you are not a Sky subscriber is the limited number of channels. What I don't know is whether or not the Sky+ sub gives you a viewing card for the Free To View services or if you have to get that separately.

If you don't have the Sky+ sub then the box will not record anything - it won't even allow manual recordings like an unsubbed Tivo.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:14 AM   #329
davisa

Watched "Futurama - Bender's Game" last night and there was an amusing joke about TiVo suggestions! I wonder if it will have to be cut in the UK edition
Old 11-01-2008, 07:20 AM   #330
DeadKenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisa View Post
Watched "Futurama - Bender's Game" last night and there was an amusing joke about TiVo suggestions! I wonder if it will have to be cut in the UK edition
Always makes me chuckle when Sky show that Simpsons episode that has a TiVo gag .