TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series 1 - UK
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2010, 01:38 AM   #1
shaunH

New VirginMedia HD box and TiVo

Hi all,

I've just signed up for one of the new virginmedia HD Vboxes (not V+) for £49.00 and was wondering if anyone here is using this with TiVo (guess I should have asked before buying :-))

here's the link: http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/tv/v-hd-box.html

I'm hoping that this is going to work as smoothly as my old Samsung VBox.

The unit has HDMI out, but also SCART so I should be able to use with my TiVo and existing TV (which I'm planning to upgrade for the World Cup soon)

Any thoughts on how well this will work, potential problems, tips?

Many thanks.

Shaun
shaunH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:17 AM   #2
microbe

Aparently it does!

No problems here, see full thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=445074

cut/paste from same:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got home today to a missed delivery card from UPS quickly followed by knock on the door from the neighbours who had signed for it (cool!).

After an hour of fun and games with various CS folk (Scottich or Welsh good, Indian useless, "I need the MAC off your cable modem please"!) and a blank screen (AP:52 not good!) the box evenually got whatever signals it needed to pair up with the card and off we went.

Used Samsung code 20045, last in the list (phew) so TIVO now doing what it used to.
Only had a brief play with the HD bit as Tivo has it's own agenda tonight and not necessarily blown over at the mo but hopefully some fettling with settings will improve that.
OD seems to work ok, far faster than the previous Pace, also no dongle needed so my eco pitch is working!

Bit of amusement from Virgin, I have to send back the old box in the packaging the sent the new one in, only the old Pace box is twice the size of the packaging! Doh!
microbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
shaunH

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbe View Post
No problems here, see full thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Used Samsung code 20045, last in the list (phew) so TIVO now doing what it used to.
Only had a brief play with the HD bit as Tivo has it's own agenda tonight and not necessarily blown over at the mo but hopefully some fettling with settings will improve that.
OD seems to work ok, far faster than the previous Pace, also no dongle needed so my eco pitch is working!

Bit of amusement from Virgin, I have to send back the old box in the packaging the sent the new one in, only the old Pace box is twice the size of the packaging! Doh!
Thanks for the useful info - sounds like it's going to work well - I'm looking forward to getting the new box.

On the subject of returning the old box, do you know if you can take it to a virginmedia store? There's one that's only 10mins away from me.

Cheers,

Shaun
Old 05-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
microbe

Big Grin

Sadly don't know about taking it to the shop, the new kit comes with everything you need to send the old one back (I'm assuming we're talking self install here?). Box, pre-paid address/postage labels and even 24" of parcel tape presumably measured out by some bean counter so as to give you just enough to seal the box back up, no more, no less.
Drop the box off at post office, get proof of postage, job done.

I can just imagine the fun you could have in the Virgin shop, "good morning sir, can I interest you in HD? Oh", or even better, "Hi, i'd like a refund on this box please, it doesn't work correctly and there's no where to plug in my HDMI cable".

Paul
microbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
shaunH

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbe View Post

I can just imagine the fun you could have in the Virgin shop, "good morning sir, can I interest you in HD? Oh", or even better, "Hi, i'd like a refund on this box please, it doesn't work correctly and there's no where to plug in my HDMI cable".

Paul
You really are quite evil :-))

Thanks for your help. Should have the new box by the weekend...all being well.