TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: How Important is This to You?
It's so important that I'd pay extra for it. 159 9.17%
It's important but I wouldn't pay extra for it. 1309 75.53%
Not important, but I'd probably use it if it was free. 219 12.64%
I'd probably never use it one way or the other. 46 2.65%
Voters: 1733. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2002, 01:00 PM   #91
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

New Math?????

Quote:
Originally posted by phone1
19 to 1? I voted for option three: NOT IMPORTANT. ........... That changes the number to 3 to 1 as of this post.
"3 to 1" ????

I know it's been a long time since I took math in school, but it couldn't have changed that much. Am I missing something?

Even putting aside the votes for number 3, I still come up with 15 to 1 !

Look at the numbers:

"Important...." Numbers 1 & 2 = 243 75%
"Won't Use...." Number 4 = 16 5 %

Anyway you look at it ... 243 to 16 or 75% to 5% is 15 to 1
3 ea-HiDef HR20-700 w/2-Seagate 750GB Ext HD's
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
vegaspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 01:59 PM   #92
phone1
?????????

Fuzzy math?????

Quote:
Originally posted by vegaspl
Finally, as far as my "presuming" to speak for the majority. Just look at the numbers!!!!! 19-1.
Quote:
Anyway you look at it ... 243 to 16 or 75% to 5% is 15 to 1
indeed! Seems you have many ways of looking at it. First you counted option 3 voters as pro FSI to get 19-1, then you just ignored them altogether for your last ratio. Here's the correct calculation:

Option 1 - important - 23
Option 2 - semi-important - 221

Total - 244

Option 3 - not important - 60
Option 4 - don't want it - 16

Total 76

244/76 = 3.21 to 1

TiVo Series 2 60 Hrs. -> 223 Hrs.
SVR-2000 - stock
Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
phone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 02:20 PM   #93
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

I beg to differ...

Option 3 (as stated by previous poster) should not be lumped in with those pro FSI. I concur.

However, by all indications it would seem to represent those who are (for all intents and purposes) NUETRAL!

Therefore they shouldn't be added to the negative side either!!!
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
Old 07-17-2002, 02:22 PM   #94
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
All a matter of how you view the data.

I tend to lump Options 2, 3, and 4 together in these polls, since those are the people who don't want to pay for a feature. Option 1 (the paying group) only accounts for roughly 7% here. I don't count 7% as a "majority", and I wouldn't rush to code something for that small percentage of users.

World peace is a great thing, but I'd still vote "It's important but I wouldn't pay extra for it." on its poll.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 02:58 PM   #95
phone1
?????????

Quote:
I beg to differ...

Option 3 (as stated by previous poster) should not be lumped in with those pro FSI. I concur.

However, by all indications it would seem to represent those who are (for all intents and purposes) NUETRAL!

Therefore they shouldn't be added to the negative side either!!!
Don't presume to speak for me - I voted option 3, and do NOT want TiVo spending time on FSI when there are other more important features and improvements to be addressed.

SVR-2000 - stock
Old 07-17-2002, 03:59 PM   #96
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

Quote:
Originally posted by phone1
Don't presume to speak for me - I voted option 3, and do NOT want TiVo spending time on FSI when there are other more important features and improvements to be addressed.

Where did you get the Idea that I "Presumed" anything????

Anyway, if you feel THAT strongly, I would think your vote should have been under number 4.

Please notice that I used the term "....think..." not "definately should have"
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
Old 07-18-2002, 09:43 AM   #97
phone1
?????????

Why do people think they'll make their point more effectively with extra punctuation????????

I think it's just like shouting!!!!!!!!!!!

(Or maybe they just have a sticky keyboard. )

SVR-2000 - stock
Old 07-19-2002, 12:24 AM   #98
HTH
No Avatar Selected

There's something definitely presumed here, and that is that people who use the TiVo Community Forum are representative of TiVo users in general. Beside's the sample bias, the sample size is not statistically significant.

▘▘▀▌▌▘▀▘▌▘▀▘▙▌▐▖▙▘▙▌▌▘▙▘▙▘▟▘
▛▌▛▌▛▌▙▌▛▌▟▖▌▘▛▌▞▌▌▘▌▖▞▌▞▌▟▘

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.
HTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 11:56 AM   #99
rbird
uses tivo "wrong"

Quote:
Originally posted by HTH
There's something definitely presumed here, and that is that people who use the TiVo Community Forum are representative of TiVo users in general. Beside's the sample bias, the sample size is not statistically significant.
Somebody hasn't been paying attention. Just a few posts up from your post:
Quote:
Originally posted by rbird
Of course even I have to admit that 318 total votes is not really representative of the nearly 500,000 Tivo owners.
Bob
rbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 01:01 PM   #100
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Originally posted by martinp13
All a matter of how you view the data.

I tend to lump Options 2, 3, and 4 together in these polls, since those are the people who don't want to pay for a feature. Option 1 (the paying group) only accounts for roughly 7% here.

Given that the features we discuss in this forum are what we'd like to see in the new releases of software, saying we wouldn't pay extra for it does not mean we don't pay for it. We pay a subscription fee which goes to providing the information AND improving the product. I expect a constant improvement in the Tivo software. Features that directly relate to the basic use of the equipment should not cost extra. Features that go above and beyond the normal Tivo use, like MP3 playing or caller id on your TV are things that we should expect to pay extra for.

I voted for #2, and I do expect to pay for it, just not to pay Extra for it.

Treb.
TreborPugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 09:20 PM   #101
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Quote:
Originally posted by rbird
Somebody hasn't been paying attention.
My apologies. The browser on the ProGear LX didn't defaults to such a tiny font size, I must have missed it despite looking to make sure I wasn't being redundant.

And I'm particularly embarassed about that inappropriate apostrophe.

Still, I expect my comment about selection bias to stand independent of the sample size.

▘▘▀▌▌▘▀▘▌▘▀▘▙▌▐▖▙▘▙▌▌▘▙▘▙▘▟▘
▛▌▛▌▛▌▙▌▛▌▟▖▌▘▛▌▞▌▌▘▌▖▞▌▞▌▟▘

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.
HTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 05:03 PM   #102
pauly666

Just gimme a "percentage used" indicator.

To answer the next persons question, "Does that include Suggestions that TiVo has recorded?" I answer, "Is it using my hard disk space? Yes? Then..."

If, after delivering that, TiVo decides to get more ambitious, great, add extra screens somewhere that give more details. But, for now:

Please, please, please!

If you don't know what a percentage is, go and get your high school diploma; I'm amazed you even know how set up a Season Pass.

Philips HDR212, ~171hrs, 5/4/02 - STOLEN 3/18/03!!!
TiVo Series2 80 hrs, 4/6/03
pauly666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 08:45 PM   #103
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

Quote:
Originally posted by pauly666

To answer the next persons question, "Does that include Suggestions that TiVo has recorded?" I answer, "Is it using my hard disk space? Yes? Then..."

Now WHY would you want (Need) it to include Suggestions? For all intents and purposes, in effect they DO NOT take up any Storage Space.

As far as determining AVAILABLE space after seeing the figure for "percentage used", suggestions do not infringe on A/S since that space is continuously and freely available for any immediate and/or future recordings.

If anything, better it should include the TDL. Actually an indicator showing both would be even better.
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
Old 08-09-2002, 06:54 PM   #104
pauly666

Quote:

Now WHY would you want (Need) it to include Suggestions? For all intents and purposes, in effect they DO NOT take up any Storage Space.
So I can decide if I want to keep my recorded suggestion, and do a save until... or let TiVo delete it as needed.

It's not hard - if its on my hard disk, tell me what percentage of space I have used/left.

Philips HDR212, ~171hrs, 5/4/02 - STOLEN 3/18/03!!!
TiVo Series2 80 hrs, 4/6/03
pauly666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 06:47 PM   #105
gjtaylor

They already tell you the capacity for the Tivo in each of the available quality settings, why not just put in parenthesis behind that the amount that is currently free at each of those settings? If they are worried about a disclaimer, then simple make it one menu item deaper with the disclaimer shown before getting the the page that shows you the remaining free space.
gjtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 06:54 PM   #106
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

Quote:
Originally posted by gjtaylor
They already tell you the capacity for the Tivo in each of the available quality settings, why not just put in parenthesis behind that the amount that is currently free at each of those settings? If they are worried about a disclaimer, then simple make it one menu item deaper with the disclaimer shown before getting the the page that shows you the remaining free space.
Good Idea gttaylor!
A "Fresh" "New" Wrinkle (As far as how they should display it). And from a "Newbie" to this forum.

Now if TiVo would just provide it?

1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
Old 08-26-2002, 03:25 PM   #107
gjtaylor

Those are the ways that I came up with to implement the suggestion. I figgure you have to do more than just complain about it not being there. how I would implement the option if I were writing the function. I've been asking for a "Power Toys" version for quite a while, but just recently discovered this board.
gjtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 04:31 PM   #108
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

Quote:
Originally posted by gjtaylor
Those are the ways that I came up with to implement the suggestion. I figgure you have to do more than just complain about it not being there. how I would implement the option if I were writing the function. I've been asking for a "Power Toys" version for quite a while, but just recently discovered this board.
Your being new to this board, you are probably not aware of the numerous request (suggestions) made on this subject. None of which have produced any results from TiVo. My prior response to you was just commenting on your suggested way to implement a form of FSI as being one I haven't seen before..

Unfortunately, I wouldn't put too much hope in seeing any results
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
Old 08-26-2002, 05:41 PM   #109
BrettStah

Paul, how quickly you forget...
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=13941

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 06:23 PM   #110
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
Paul, how quickly you forget...
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=13941
"Quickly"???

That was almost a year ago. I even forgot what I wrote in that thread.
See what happens when you get on in age

I haven't been as active on this subject as in the past. Mainly because of my pessimism & frustration with the realism that "it ain't gonna happen"
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
Old 11-09-2002, 11:10 PM   #111
kchristensen

And two months later, here's another off the wall suggestion about the free space indicator.

Everyone has watched the weather report where they give their 5 day forecast or their 7 day forecast. Have TiVo do the same thing for space utilization. Nobody expects the weather report to be 100% accurate. In fact, we're glad if they can get the current day right so we know if we should take a coat, or an umbrella. If they're wrong, we joke about how nice it must be to get paid to be wrong so often.

So, what's the likelihood that I'll be able to record programs all week? Is there something I should do this weekend to prevent problems during the week?
kchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 07:32 AM   #112
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Hey, that's a good idea.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:16 PM   #113
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Yes, folks, Monday looks like a record Recording day! The forecast calls for 14 hours of new recordings!

The Recording will slow down on Tuesday, with only 5 hours expected, but it looks like 4 hours of programing will be deleted so you better take your SUID's out of the closet...

And for those of you with special plans this weekend, look out! It looks like we're in for a big clash between Season pass items and SUID's, and something's gotta go, or we'll just have to skip recording some of your favorite shows
Old 01-03-2003, 04:38 PM   #114
mmcowan

It is truly sad that TiVo hasn't put this feature in. This is a no-brainer, super simple thing to add. I'm sure that one of their programmers could whip this out in a couple of hours. Heck, I'll drive up to Alviso and do it for them.

Perhaps they're worried about support calls? I bet they get more support calls now from people wondering how to find out how much drive space they have left!

"On Windows, I just double-click on 'My Computer' and it's right there, but I can't seem to find it on my Tivo. Please help me find it."

Like everyone has said here, this doesn't have to be complicated. We don't need (but many would like) a full statistical breakdown of all of the data on the disk, but just percentages of "user programs", "TiVo suggestions" and "unused space". C'mon already.

Perhaps something like:

mmcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 07:50 PM   #115
BrettStah

mmcowan, you're right... one of Tivo's programmers could easily whip it out quickly. So the question is why they haven't?

My belief is that the Tivo developers feel that current free space is not, by itself, that helpful to most Tivo users, and could in fact cause confusion for some Tivo users.

Here's one example... let's say your pie chart pops up on my Tivo tomorrow morning.

My wife sees it first, and thinks "Cool, 12% free - I'll schedule that 4 movie marathon of Sean Connery movies that starts tonight... there's plenty of room to fit them without losing anything already recorded."

A couple of hours later, I happen to be in front of the TV, and see the same exact pie chart (since nothing has recorded since my wife's actions). I say, "Cool! I'll schedule a few basketball games coming on today... there's plenty of room to fit them without losing anything already recorded."

The next day, we find out that 5 hours of previously recorded shows were deleted in order to fit the basketball games and Sean Connery movies.

So what went wrong? We looked at the _current_ free space and made assumptions on it (pretty logical, since that works well for PCs right?) However, without taking into account scheduled recordings (aka To Do List) it's not always safe to make these assumptions.

Now, what if Tivo decided to provide us with a simple indicator that would say something like this:

Your Tivo will need to delete one or more shows on Monday 1/6 at 10:00 AM to make room for new recordings.

And as you add new things to be recorded, and delete existing recordings from Now Playing, that indicator will be updated accordingly.

Personally, I think that it is possible (from a hardware perspective) to not only provide a single indicator like this, but to actually do this for each recording in Now Playing not marked with the green dot (save until I delete). So you'd see: This show will be deleted on Friday, 2/6 at 8:00 PM to make room for 'The Sopranos'. Others disagree though.

Old 01-03-2003, 11:12 PM   #116
Endless

Tivo already provides the feature of telling you when a program will need to be deleted earlier than it is already scheduled to be deleted.

To make it more descriptive the pie chart could use the 5 tivo recording states
1> New recording,
2> old recording
3> can be deleted recording (! recording)
4> until I delete recording
5> tivo suggestion recording
and a 6th
6> free space
Only showing those that are in use on a given machine.

The usage indicator feature is present on Ultimate TV, and they just kept it simple, a color coded bar with the usage/free space.

The discouraging thing about this thread is no indiciation of any direction on this. Yes we're working on, or no we're not because of X. If there was an X we could respond with suggestions.

For those with 80hr units, or upgraded units knowing how close you are to full is very useful. The indicator you can get by enabling suggestions to be recorded is a little lame, if I let tivo record a bunch of suggestions til the tivo is full, the menu speed gets insanely slow. And then when you do get the point to a full tivo, you're stuck counting 80+ shows to know if you're close.

Of course another solution to this would be for Tivo to keep the time that a program is estimated to be deleted. Right now you get 'can be deleted after this date' but there is nothing on there that says this will be deleted at 8pm 1/3/03 as competitive products also have. (they have their own limitation that that time data sometimes takes a few minutes to update if you make large changes to a todo list)
Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 06:46 AM   #117
BrettStah

mmcowan, I forgot to take into account the suggestions with your pie chart. Most of the time my free space is close to 0%, and so I tend to equate free space with suggestions in my head. But I think my examples still hold true.

Old 01-04-2003, 02:28 PM   #118
dpsjolly
Full-time Bore

Come on Tivo - lets do it.
dpsjolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 06:08 PM   #119
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
mmcowan, you're right... one of Tivo's programmers could easily whip it out quickly. So the question is why they haven't?

My belief is that the Tivo developers feel that current free space is not, by itself, that helpful to most Tivo users, and could in fact cause confusion for some Tivo users.

Here's one example... let's say your pie chart pops up on my Tivo tomorrow morning.

My wife sees it first, and thinks "Cool, 12% free - I'll schedule that 4 movie marathon of Sean Connery movies that starts tonight... there's plenty of room to fit them without losing anything already recorded."

A couple of hours later, I happen to be in front of the TV, and see the same exact pie chart (since nothing has recorded since my wife's actions). I say, "Cool! I'll schedule a few basketball games coming on today... there's plenty of room to fit them without losing anything already recorded."

The next day, we find out that 5 hours of previously recorded shows were deleted in order to fit the basketball games and Sean Connery movies.

So what went wrong? We looked at the _current_ free space and made assumptions on it (pretty logical, since that works well for PCs right?) However, without taking into account scheduled recordings (aka To Do List) it's not always safe to make these assumptions.

Very Simple!!!

Take "Suggestions" out of the Pie Chart and replace with "Committed" IOW ...the TDL Programs.
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
Old 01-04-2003, 08:18 PM   #120
BrettStah

Paul, if you did that, wouldn't "Committed" almost always completely take up all available space over time?