TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: How Important is This to You?
It's so important that I'd pay extra for it. 159 9.17%
It's important but I wouldn't pay extra for it. 1309 75.53%
Not important, but I'd probably use it if it was free. 219 12.64%
I'd probably never use it one way or the other. 46 2.65%
Voters: 1733. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2002, 07:27 PM   #61
Samsara
Bored now

Ok, kids, I'm not about to close this thread, so that means that if you can't play nice, I'm going to have to sit here on my noisy, 24k-at-best dialup phone lines editing and deleting individual posts for three hours, and if anybody makes me waste my time like that, I'm going to take my share of Xaa's moderator fund and send a few singing telegrams to your respective offices to serenade you with Taiwanese rap songs backed up by the MIDI players on their PDAs and cell phones.

Same goes for any off-topic replies this may inspire; PM me instead.

Now, somebody please post another well-reasoned, on-topic, and mind-numbingly unoriginal post on this dead horse of a topic so I can back to ignoring this thread.

Samsara
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 02:07 PM   #62
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Originally posted by Samsara
Now, somebody please post another well-reasoned, on-topic, and mind-numbingly unoriginal post on this dead horse of a topic so I can back to ignoring this thread.

Samsara

Okay, since you asked, and I've just read the last few posts in this thread for the first time:

Knowing the total capacity of the hard drive: (ie, how much space you could use for recording in GB)

1. Space used by SUID/KUID recordings
2. Space used by recordings which are expired or will expire
3. Space required by all scheduled recordings

for example:

With 75 GB total capacity for recording:

Code:
SUID/KUID recordings                                25.29 GB
Expirable recordings                                35.93 GB
Scheduled recordings                                55.10 GB

Is this good enough Samsara, or do I need to ramble on for a while too?

Treb

P.S. I know the spell checker doesn't like "Expirable," but Webster's does.
TreborPugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 10:59 PM   #63
Samsara
Bored now

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by TreborPugly
Is this good enough Samsara, or do I need to ramble on for a while too?
Don't worry, there will be time for rambling in your reply to the next guy, who will tell you how and why your idea will be such a massive source of confussion that businesses will lose more money in sick days and lowered productivity than the last two Star Wars films combined.

Alternatively, you could wait for someone else to call that guy an idiot for you, but then he'll offer up his own version of an FSI, and you'll have to thank him for defending you while simultaneously tearing his idea to shreds.

Samsara
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 08:41 AM   #64
beejay

OK, Treb, I like the basic idea. The only worry I have (see, Samsara warned you) is the number of people who don't know what GB is (and there is nothing that tells you on normal screens what the total is on your TiVo.)

Perhaps percentages would be better. (I will now accept rants from everyone pointing out that many TiVo users probably don't understand percentages either.)

But I'll take anything that improves on the current method of adding up your recorded suggestions as an approximation of "free space".
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 04:28 PM   #65
jp78

Time to throw a little fuel on the fire.

Who cares about free space? When it comes right down to it, you don't really care how much free space there is on your TiVo (indeed, if you have suggestions turned on, there isn't any).

I care about two things:

1. How much time will I have to spend watching the programming that is currently on my TiVo.

2. Will TiVo be able to record the programs I've asked it to and still keep the ones around that I want to see.

Rather than a free space indicator, how about some kind of space used indicator ("non-free" space?). This is all information we can currently get right now; TiVo will happily show it to us, but only one program at a time... we have to add it up by hand.

Something simple like this:

TiVo currently contains the following:
5:00 KUID Programming
15:00 Unexpired Programming
7:30 Expired Programming
3:00 Suggested Programming

But we also want future information. Again, the information is there, we just have to go find it (on the ToDo and Recording History lists):

Tonight, TiVo will record
2:00 of Season Pass programming (1:00 is SUID)
0:30 of Suggested programming

Tomorrow, TiVo will record
3:00 of Season Pass programming
0:30 of Wish List programming
0:30 of Suggested programming
TiVo will not record
1:00 of Season Pass programming due to a conflict
1:00 of Wish List programming due to KAM restrictions
TiVo will delete
3:00 of Expired programming
3:30 of Suggested programming
and
2:00 of Season Pass programming will expire
1:00 of Wish List programming will expire

I've also seen some good suggestions on handling the expiration of shows. I know that right now, I tend to spend a few minutes (maybe 10) each day, on each of my TiVos, updating the expiration of some shows that I know I want to see but have not had time to watch yet. If there were an easier way to do that, it would make me happier (one example I read was to use the thumb buttons to bump up [or down] the expiration time of a show right from now showing.

I suspect that we will never come to a consensus on what makes a good free space indicator, but access to summary information about TiVo's current state and what it's going to do next would simplify my management of the box. And when you come right down to it, that's why we bought TiVos, in the first place... to make it easier to watch the programming we want, when we want to.
jp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 04:54 PM   #66
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
jp78: I appreciate your copious typing... at least I didn't have to guess what you meant by anything. But the information you have presented to the user is too much and too vague.

It would take at least three screens to present all that to the user, and making someone page thru a commonly viewed status screen is criminal. Don't you cuss every time you have to page thru Now Playing?

And giving such vague information is like giving a weather report that says "There will be clouds in the sky". Are they white puffy clouds? Dark thunderheads? And the all-important bottom line: am I gonna get wet??? If you just tell the user "1:00 of Expired Programming is gonna be whacked", you really haven't told them much at all. They have to go to yet another screen to see what programming is toast. And what if the next two expired things on the chopping block are a 30-min sitcom and a 4-hour football game? It isn't REALLY going to delete "1:00", eh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 06:41 PM   #67
rbird
uses tivo "wrong"

I would just like to comment that with the newfound hidden ability to sort Now Playing by expiration date, Tivo has fulfilled about 30% of my desire for space management features.

I wonder what other features are hidden under the top layer of the Tivo software.

Bob
rbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 07:24 PM   #68
chipwood

Quote:
Originally posted by rbird
I would just like to comment that with the newfound hidden ability to sort Now Playing by expiration date, Tivo has fulfilled about 30% of my desire for space management features.
And even more of mine. I think all the "used" space information could be done on a single screen (just the current usage). It's REALLY REALLY important to be able to see how much of my space is taken up by SUID/KUID recordings... that directly impacts the capacity of the Tivo to work "as intended".

Unfortunately, sorting by expiration date doesn't accurately reflect the actual order in which programs will be deleted (if you use "Save at Most"). If programs could be sorted in actual (projected(?)) order of deletion, and the current usage by recording type info were available somewhere, I'd be all set.
chipwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 09:38 PM   #69
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

As I have stated on numerous occasions but, well worth repeating:

Dynamic readouts of....

1) Hours Available at each Quality

2) When TiVo will START deleting NP's (Based on current NP & TDL combined)

How much simpler can you get?

I do that manually whenever I even SUSPECT I am coming close to "Deletion Time"

Even with all the TiVo's and all the capacity I have... I find it extremely USEFUL!!
3 ea-HiDef HR20-700 w/2-Seagate 750GB Ext HD's
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
vegaspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 10:12 PM   #70
HTH
No Avatar Selected

I get (2) when I am coming close to "deletion time", not just when I suspect, as long as I make sure that what I want to keep isn't expired. I have no need for (1).

▘▘▀▌▌▘▀▘▌▘▀▘▙▌▐▖▙▘▙▌▌▘▙▘▙▘▟▘
▛▌▛▌▛▌▙▌▛▌▟▖▌▘▛▌▞▌▌▘▌▖▞▌▞▌▟▘

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.
HTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 01:38 AM   #71
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

Quote:
Originally posted by HTH
I get (2) when I am coming close to "deletion time", not just when I suspect, as long as I make sure that what I want to keep isn't expired. I have no need for (1).
"... as long as I make sure that what I want to keep isn't expired"

Yeah! That's the point, it's what you have to go thru to "make sure".

Why oh why, should you have to do that. Re-arranging expiration dates on many recordings can be tedious. I would only want to have to do that if & when TiVo tells me that if I don't do it by a certain date, that I will lose some recordings (or others won't record).

Then, and only then, will I decide if I want to exercise the option of hastening my viewing and subsequent deleting, or... limiting my upcoming recordings

YOU may not have a need for (1), but I still think it would be somewhat informative ALONG with (2)! By the many, many here that have clam-mered for it, I presume they would too.
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
Old 07-10-2002, 07:23 PM   #72
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Quote:
Originally posted by vegaspl
"... as long as I make sure that what I want to keep isn't expired"

Yeah! That's the point, it's what you have to go thru to "make sure".

Why oh why, should you have to do that. Re-arranging expiration dates on many recordings can be tedious.
You have to do that because that's how it works. And it's only tedious if you let them pile up. If you have a really large TiVo, there's nothing wrong with making them SUID so there's only one adjustment to make.

It takes only the smallest amount of personal discipline to keep important recordings unexpired. I do it on three TiVos and it only takes a very few minutes, if that.

Quote:
I would only want to have to do that if & when TiVo tells me that if I don't do it by a certain date, that I will lose some recordings (or others won't record).
Catch-22. You won't get that warning unless you're doing it already. Solution: do it already!

Quote:
Then, and only then, will I decide if I want to exercise the option of hastening my viewing and subsequent deleting, or... limiting my upcoming recordings
So, what we're dealing with is willful slothfulness, right?

It's "clamoured".

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:38 PM   #73
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

HTH:
"slothfulness"??? Forgive my ignorance. I trust it is not an insult???

BTW..w/ close to 700 hrs at my disposal, I WOULD have many recordings to adjust expiration dates. That is if I DIDN'T have most all as SUID!
Which I wouldn't do so much of,if I had more instant info on when I am filling up.
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
Old 07-11-2002, 01:02 PM   #74
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
No, not really an insult. Just a way of saying you're deliberately not watching stuff and letting it pile up.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 01:27 PM   #75
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

Quote:
Originally posted by martinp13
No, not really an insult. Just a way of saying you're deliberately not watching stuff and letting it pile up.
NO! Not "deliberately", but "Necessarily". The purpose of so many TiVo's with so much storage is to be able to "Watch WHAT I want, When I want"

I have been "Time-Shifting" in a major way, long before MOST of you ever even heard of the expression! (Over 20 years)

During the Network Season, we watch mostly within a short time frame of the original broadcast via SP's.

However,all during the year and during the Network Rerun Season, we are accumulating "semi-archiving" theatrical movies off Premium channels, PPV, Netflix DVD's, etc.

Those are viewed mostly during the Summer. However, there is quite a backlog built up which is constantly being added to and reduced.

Now, if that is what you consider "slothfulness"??? I plead guilty
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
Old 07-11-2002, 02:43 PM   #76
BrettStah

I think most folks understand that to use the current Tivo software to its fullest, using the expiration system as HTH does is probably best. However this is the suggestions forum, right?

I fall into the "slothful" category... I've slapped extra capacity into the main Tivos I use, and keep an eye on suggestions as a rough gauge of free space, and the To Do List to see what's coming up. It would make my life a little easier if Tivo would show me the date and time it'll run out of space... that's all I really need 99% of the time.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 02:56 PM   #77
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
I think most folks understand that to use the current Tivo software to its fullest, using the expiration system as HTH does is probably best. However this is the suggestions forum, right?

I fall into the "slothful" category... I've slapped extra capacity into the main Tivos I use, and keep an eye on suggestions as a rough gauge of free space, and the To Do List to see what's coming up. It would make my life a little easier if Tivo would show me the date and time it'll run out of space... that's all I really need 99% of the time.
Fellow Slothfulee.... Naturally I agree with all you have said EXCEPT...

1) It would make my life a LOT easier if Tivo would show me the date and time it'll run out of space...

2) I refuse to use the "Suggestions" gimmick in "AUTO-Record"

A) My NP lists are long enough

B) Although I know its not SUPPOSED to happen, I have heard of too many instances where Suggestions deleted wanted recordings.
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
Old 07-11-2002, 11:24 PM   #78
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Quote:
During the Network Season, we watch mostly within a short time frame of the original broadcast via SP's.

However,all during the year and during the Network Rerun Season, we are accumulating "semi-archiving" theatrical movies off Premium channels, PPV, Netflix DVD's, etc.

Those are viewed mostly during the Summer. However, there is quite a backlog built up which is constantly being added to and reduced.
Sounds to me that those recordings are perfect examples of recordings that should be marked SUID, which you'll only have to set that way once. And by having even only one program not marked as SUID but also not expired (of a size commensurate with the size of your typical one-shot recordings), TiVo will give you information on when your capacity gets low interactively.

The software isn't really designed to be a VOD library. Those using it as such have to accept that and not expect the software to be redesigned to cater to that purpose, to which it can only be put to via hacks that really aren't officially endorsed (i.e. massive storage expansion). I'd say your usage pattern is more of creating a VOD library than the mere timeshifting it is designed for. If you're going to use it like that, you're going to have to adjust your usage patterns, including making most of what you're archiving be SUID, and accept that your usage patterns do not match the majority of TiVo's market.

Maybe TiVo will put out a product later that is designed to be an in-home VOD system. Or maybe they'll offer a separate VOD software package you can have installed instead of the usual TiVo software, for a price, and designed such that nothing deletes automatically and there's no such thing as expiry, or if deletions occur, it is through a weighted system where recordings are assigned an importance (which may be adjusted by you through methods both manual and automatic) and only recordings of lesser importance would be replaced by those of greater importance by algorithm.

In short, "Give that man a special code base."

Damn, now I expect after composing this message that all my unread messages are going to be marked as read again.

Old 07-12-2002, 04:58 AM   #79
rbird
uses tivo "wrong"

Quote:
Originally posted by HTH

The software isn't really designed to be a VOD library.
That's funny, my TiVo window shade says "TiVo. TV your way". I think all we're asking for is for them to try to live up to that slogan.

Bob
Old 07-12-2002, 02:35 PM   #80
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

Quote:
That's funny, my TiVo window shade says "TiVo. TV your way". I think all we're asking for is for them to try to live up to that slogan.

Bob
Here, Here Bob.... I echo your sentiments exactly!!

I never could, and still can't understand, why HTH is so adamently AGAINST what the overwhelming majority are FOR!.

Sorry, HTH...this is not a "Personal Attack on you" just expressing my confusion. I do respect your right to your opinion. Just WHY so insistent??
What would hurt YOU, if the OBVIOUS "overwhelming majority" were to get what we are clam-mering for?? Nobody would force you to use it.

There are a lot of things on TiVo I personally find useless, or a "Gimmick". I just don't use them.

BTW...you said <....Sounds to me that those recordings are perfect examples of recordings that should be marked SUID, which you'll only have to set that way once. And by having even only one program not marked as SUID but also not expired (of a size commensurate with the size of your typical one-shot recordings), TiVo will give you information on when your capacity gets low interactively. >

FYI...I DO MARK MOST OF MY RECORDINGS.."SUID", but considering my overall capacity, I can do that! I do still have many that are not SUID. What about most of those who do not have the luxury of extra storage capacity?
If I feel a FSI combined with a specified deletion date would be a "useful convenience" for ME, then I suspect MOST would also.
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
Old 07-15-2002, 02:56 PM   #81
GambleR

Although many MIPS have been expended on this already, I will add --
Another two cents:

Some indication of TiVo capacity utilization and its effect on program retention is fundimental to the usage of the equipment. I was frankly shocked that this was not part of the deal (I am a very new TiVoer).

I just upgraded my system in order to satisfy my wife's gripe that shows she wanted to watch were being deleted 'too soon'. More space will help but it does not solve the fundamental issue of helping me to manage my program space.

Maybe I am ignorant but here is what I would do if I were king of the product plan.

1. on Now Showing display the percent of capacity used by each program in a simple column. Show a total of capacity used.

2. on Now Showing display a projected deletion date

a. allow sorting by capacity or deletion date
b. allow reordering by deletion date (i.e. bump a program up or down the retention stack)
c. or give me a button / click that lets me easily add 48 hrs to the program retention

The above is simple, easy to understand (I don't care if you think it is misleading ), and useful to me. This doesn't have to be rocket science. People adjust to information and experiences over time and will develop a feel for how the system behaves. We have had the experience but we lack the information presented to allow for this adjustment.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:09 PM   #82
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

Quote:
Originally posted by GambleR
Although many MIPS have been expended on this already, I will add --
Another two cents:

Some indication of TiVo capacity utilization and its effect on program retention is fundimental to the usage of the equipment. I was frankly shocked that this was not part of the deal (I am a very new TiVoer).

I just upgraded my system in order to satisfy my wife's gripe that shows she wanted to watch were being deleted 'too soon'. More space will help but it does not solve the fundamental issue of helping me to manage my program space.

Maybe I am ignorant but here is what I would do if I were king of the product plan.

1. on Now Showing display the percent of capacity used by each program in a simple column. Show a total of capacity used.

b. allow reordering by deletion date (i.e. bump a program up or down the retention stack)
c. or give me a button / click that lets me easily add 48 hrs to the program retention

The above is simple, easy to understand (I don't care if you think it is misleading ), and useful to me. This doesn't have to be rocket science. People adjust to information and experiences over time and will develop a feel for how the system behaves. We have had the experience but we lack the information presented to allow for this adjustment.
Nice to hear from a new voice (especially if it advocates some sort of FSI)

I agree with your ideas as stated, except I am not too clear on number 2).

I feel a "single line" statement indicating the projected upcoming overall deletion date based on NP AND TDL. would eliminate the need to SCAN to determine which particular recordings are soon vulnerable. until that time is close.
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
Old 07-15-2002, 03:13 PM   #83
rbird
uses tivo "wrong"

Quote:
Originally posted by GambleR

If you're new, you might not be aware of this. Software 3.0 has a "sort Now Playing" hidden feature. Pressing Slow-0-Record-ThumbsUp while in the NP screen activates it, then pressing "2" sorts by expiration date. It's tremendously useful to me. Of course, I'd love it even more if they would revamp the entire expiration concept. There's no reason for everything to "expire" after two days by default. In fact, it's just plain silly (but I beat that horse to death months ago and won't go there again right now).

I bet I watch less than 10% of my recorded programs before that two days is up. Yet another failing of the "TiVo. TV Your Way" mantra.

Bob
Old 07-15-2002, 03:19 PM   #84
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

Re: The Free Space Indicator Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Samsara
Below are some of the previous threads on this subject, but if you have something to add, please use this thread.

..........[/url]
SAMSARA..

I am so glad you started this Poll!!!

Maybe now some of those dissenter's who have been so persistently insisting that they know what we want and need, will see the numbers and realize just how much in the minority they are!!!

19 to 1 (Why can't TiVo see those numbers and finally submit to our wishes (demands)
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100

Last edited by vegaspl : 07-15-2002 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:29 PM   #85
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Quote:
Here, Here Bob.... I echo your sentiments exactly!!
That should be "Hear! Hear!", as in "Listen to what this man is saying with which I agree!" The idiom has nothing to do with the location known as "here".

Quote:
What would hurt YOU, if the OBVIOUS "overwhelming majority" were to get what we are clam-mering for?? Nobody would force you to use it.
"Clamouring" not "clam-mering". It has absolutely nothing to do with "clamming up". I tried to be more subtle in my correction on this before.

My point it is that it is redundant, and has been demonstrated on several instances to be confusing by people who have manually counted up what they've recorded and still can't figure out why they can't schedule a movie next week. We have people deleting recordings that will have already been deleted by the time the show they want to schedule will air. Giving a FSI would only cost TiVo more in calls to their help line from users who, with misleading numbers they think will back them up, complaining that their TiVo's capacity is less than advertised.

And the fact that there is a system in place to inform you when capacity gets low; you only have to use it. But then that's probably one of those things you personally find useless or a "Gimmick" and you choose not to use it, only to make noise that you want something else.

Quote:
FYI...I DO MARK MOST OF MY RECORDINGS.."SUID", but considering my overall capacity, I can do that! I do still have many that are not SUID. What about most of those who do not have the luxury of extra storage capacity?
I'd expect such people would be more regularly exposed to TiVo's existing method of communicating remaining capacity and get useful information out of it, that they don't have the opportunity to acquire a large number of expired recordings in a neglectful manner.

And I'm so very annoyed by people who latch onto an advertising slogan and demand from it that TiVo perform for them when they refuse to perform for themselves. Sorry, but TiVo is not Turing-complete; it does not have an infinite tape upon which it can record data forever without any loss. Such a machine does not exist.

Quote:
If I feel a FSI combined with a specified deletion date would be a "useful convenience" for ME, then I suspect MOST would also.
I would not presume to speak for the majority ("most"), and neither, I feel, should you.

Old 07-16-2002, 08:20 AM   #86
GambleR

Quote:
If you're new, you might not be aware of this. Software 3.0 has a "sort Now Playing" hidden feature. Pressing Slow-0-Record-ThumbsUp while in the NP screen activates it, then pressing "2" sorts by expiration date. It's tremendously useful to me. Of course, I'd love it even more if they would revamp the entire expiration concept. There's no reason for everything to "expire" after two days by default. In fact, it's just plain silly (but I beat that horse to death months ago and won't go there again right now).

I bet I watch less than 10% of my recorded programs before that two days is up. Yet another failing of the "TiVo. TV Your Way" mantra.

Bob
I don't have V 3.0 yet.
I am a DTiVo user and understand that if I am REALLY, REALLY GOOD then I may expect it this Fall.

Things expire after two days? Wow. Why can't you change the default expiration duration? It seems like there should be a panel that allows you to configure some of these obvious things. After all it is a COMPUTER.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:27 AM   #87
GambleR

Quote:

Nice to hear from a new voice (especially if it advocates some sort of FSI)

I agree with your ideas as stated, except I am not too clear on number 2).

I feel a "single line" statement indicating the projected upcoming overall deletion date based on NP AND TDL. would eliminate the need to SCAN to determine which particular recordings are soon vulnerable. until that time is close.
On number 2).

Basically I thought there had been enough discussion on deletion date. I don't care how it is computed (I understand that the TiVo should basically know when something is projected to go bye-bye). My assumption is that for the basic user who has, say, 35 hrs of capacity that their overall deletion date will necessitate some sort of program management intervention. I know that whenever I look at Now Showing that I am thinking of program management and priorities. While I am thinking of this I would like to have some more tool than just the clear button or SUID.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:53 PM   #88
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

Quote:
Originally posted by HTH

That should be "Hear! Hear!", as in "Listen to what this man is saying with which I agree!" The idiom has nothing to do with the location known as "here".

"Clamouring" not "clam-mering". It has absolutely nothing to do with "clamming up". I tried to be more subtle in my correction on this before.

My point it is that it is redundant, and has been demonstrated on several instances to be confusing by people who have manually counted up what they've recorded and still can't figure out why they can't schedule a movie next week. We have people deleting recordings that will have already been deleted by the time the show they want to schedule will air. Giving a FSI would only cost TiVo more in calls to their help line from users who, with misleading numbers they think will back them up, complaining that their TiVo's capacity is less than advertised.

And the fact that there is a system in place to inform you when capacity gets low; you only have to use it. But then that's probably one of those things you personally find useless or a "Gimmick" and you choose not to use it, only to make noise that you want something else.

I'd expect such people would be more regularly exposed to TiVo's existing method of communicating remaining capacity and get useful information out of it, that they don't have the opportunity to acquire a large number of expired recordings in a neglectful manner.

And I'm so very annoyed by people who latch onto an advertising slogan and demand from it that TiVo perform for them when they refuse to perform for themselves. Sorry, but TiVo is not Turing-complete; it does not have an infinite tape upon which it can record data forever without any loss. Such a machine does not exist.

I would not presume to speak for the majority ("most"), and neither, I feel, should you.
OK HTH.....I will desperately attempt to avoid getting personal here, but....

1) Your need to correct my possible misuse of a word or two, is very indicative of how you have this urgency to be contrary.
Wow, I'll bet you can find a few to feed on right there

2) I think this obsession with the feeling that any kind of FSI (or version thereof) would cause many calls to TiVo CS is definitely a "presumption" on your part. All that need be is an instruction that the "Upcoming Deletion Date" is not only an estimate, but that it includes the CURRENT TDL.

Also, does the word "Disclaimer" ring a bell.

3) Obviously, TiVo DOES NOT have a method in place to warn you of when the capacity gets low. At least not one that is easily discern able, and does not let you know "in advance"

4) Finally, as far as my "presuming" to speak for the majority. Just look at the numbers!!!!! 19-1. Of course, you can't presume to speak for the majority, as you are obviously in the "Minority" on this subject.

BTW..... I will be using the "SpellCheck" (as I almost always do), to try to keep your corrections to a minimum.
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100
Old 07-17-2002, 08:28 AM   #89
phone1
?????????

Quote:
Finally, as far as my "presuming" to speak for the majority. Just look at the numbers!!!!! 19-1. Of course, you can't presume to speak for the majority, as you are obviously in the "Minority" on this subject.
19 to 1? I voted for option three: NOT IMPORTANT. Would I look at it? Sure, if it was there, but I don't feel my life would be forever changed.

Please don't lump those of us who voted that option in with those of you who feel this is a "must have" feature. There are many other features and improvements that TiVo should devote resources to first. That changes the number to 3 to 1 as of this post.

TiVo Series 2 60 Hrs. -> 223 Hrs.
SVR-2000 - stock
Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18):
phone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:19 AM   #90
rbird
uses tivo "wrong"

Even 3-1 is quite a healthy majority.

This has GOT to be right up there at the top of the list of most requested features.

Of course even I have to admit that 318 total votes is not really representative of the nearly 500,000 Tivo owners.

Bob