TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: How Important is This to You?
It's so important that I'd pay extra for it. 159 9.17%
It's important but I wouldn't pay extra for it. 1309 75.53%
Not important, but I'd probably use it if it was free. 219 12.64%
I'd probably never use it one way or the other. 46 2.65%
Voters: 1733. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2006, 12:09 AM   #271
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

For anyone interested, I have written a little app that runs on a Windows PC that will estimate the space remaining on a TiVo unit that is networked and running version 7.x.

Here is a link to a page where it can be downloaded: http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/c/dcahoe/tivo/index.htm

Thanks in advance for anyone giving it a test.

Sorry for anyone who doesn't run Windows or is not networked. I know it isn't nearly the same as having an indicator/screen on the TiVo unit itself, but it works for me.
dcahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:00 AM   #272
HotStuff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcahoe
For anyone interested, I have written a little app that runs on a Windows PC that will estimate the space remaining on a TiVo unit that is networked and running version 7.x.

Here is a link to a page where it can be downloaded: http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/c/dcahoe/tivo/index.htm

Thanks in advance for anyone giving it a test.

Sorry for anyone who doesn't run Windows or is not networked. I know it isn't nearly the same as having an indicator/screen on the TiVo unit itself, but it works for me.
WHen I run the .exe, I get an error dialog:

Run-time error '339':

Component 'Mschrt20.ocx' or one of it's dependencies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

HotStuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:06 AM   #273
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Thanks HotStuff2, I was trying to keep my program lean with just a simple .exe and not creating an install package.

I have now created an install package which includes the required Microsoft provided ActiveX controls to run the program. Just try downloading it again and running the setup program.
dcahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:47 PM   #274
Lord Wasco
Use the Force

Virgin Poster...

But this is what I think. The thing has a hard drive, it has software, it's practically a computer. Why can't we have a "Customize" option for the Now Playing list? Windows Explorer allows you to pick the column headings you want to show. Why can't we do this with TiVo? I could care less what channel a certain program was on. So I want the ability to drop that column and add a "Time" column to show me how long each program is. I don't like having to go into each program to find out how long each show is. I want to be able to scan the first menu with having to go deeper. And at the bottom I would like a two pieces of information: Time Recorded (hrs) and Time Empty (hrs).

For those who don't care, maybe there could be a "Classic View" button so if you don't want to customize, you don't have to. Or if another family member tries to customize, you can hit the "Classic View" button, and zap, it goes back. If you wanted to make it a little more customizable, you can have more than one set of settings and nickname it.

I personally want an FSI. I want to know when I'm going to run out of space so I can manually delete the programs I'm least likely to watch. I recently had a major issue with the Olympics. I told it to record all the Olympics with a certain sport, and it recorded almost daily AND 3-5 hours at a time. And I didn't have time to keep up with the Olympics and TiVo deleted MANY of my shows that I never got around to watching. It sucked!

Last edited by Lord Wasco : 03-23-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Lord Wasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:08 PM   #275
JacksTiVo
TiVo User since 2001

The new "Deleted Shows Folder" added in the recent update to the Series 2 indicates the number of deleted shows in the folder. It is a good indicator of the amount of free space available on the hard drive. For example, if the deleted shows are movies and you assume 2 hours per movie and there are 5 deleted movies then you know you have room for about 10 hours of new recordings. As new shows are recorded the TIVO deletes the recordings in the "deleted show folder" prior to erasing Tivo Suggestion recordings on the Now Playing list.
JacksTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #276
mdfst13

Free Space Indicator cautions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksTiVo
For example, if the deleted shows are movies and you assume 2 hours per movie and there are 5 deleted movies then you know you have room for about 10 hours of new recordings.
The problem with that is that new recordings don't necessarily take up the same space as the previous recordings. For example, I have season passes in all of best, high, and medium quality. If all my deleted recordings are medium quality (default quality for TiVo suggestions), and all the shows I'm recording are best quality...

Note: I absolutely agree that the deleted folder provides the free space indicator functionality (I actually came to the forums to make that observation). I just want to remind people that the nature of TiVo makes a free space indicator not completely useful. In particular, the inability to predict the exact size of future recordings.

IMO, the best way to use a free space indicator is as a warning that tells you to *watch* things. I.e. when your delete movies is down to five, then its time to watch (and delete) a few things. It also may indicate that you should mark things as KUID or move suggestions to the recordings list (by selecting a KU date).

Anyway, kudos to Tivo for listening to their customers and providing this new functionality.
mdfst13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:07 PM   #277
tmjtivo

free space

i would love to have a space indicator, anything would be great.
tmjtivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:15 AM   #278
omni555

Thumbs up

I know there are probably other threads (and more recent) on this topic, but I have spent the last hour or so browsing thru THIS one and thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth HERE!

For the past several years I have been using DVR boxes from my cable company. They always had a FSI in the form of a bar, and indicated as a percentage the amount of space remaining free. Like below:

████████████████████____________| 37% Remaining

This is a very simple indicator, but I found it almost indispensable for my purposes.

The DVR box NEVER refused to allow me to set up a single or repeating recording simply because there wasn't enough space left. I remember being down to 2 or 3% remaining and STILL being able to schedule a repeating program of 1 hour duration for "Every day at 8:00 pm".

The point is that when I would see the indicator showing only a small percentage of space left, I would KNOW that I either had to watch and delete some programs, just outright deletes some programs, or take the risk of not having the newly set recording actually get recorded.

I recently downloaded dcahoe's utility TiVoPlayList to my PC and installed it. I find myself launching that utility several times a day to check on how well I am managing my new TiVo's space.

But MAN, would it ever be great if I could access that SAME information (or even just the bar described above from the cable company DVR) simply by hitting a few buttons on my TiVo remote!!!

There have been arguments made about how this feature "is not necessary" (Isn't there a LOT that isn't "necessary" that many people find quite useful or just plain nice to have?), but many of the rest of us could complain that there are a lot of features that WE do not find "necessary". Should we campaign to have them REMOVED just because WE do not use them???

Then there are the arguments that people would not be able to UNDERSTAND the FSI. ...Just HOW dumb are TiVo users perceived as being anyway?!!! It is SIMPLE! The indicator would tell you just how much space is CURRENTLY USED on your HD. You can do a little simple checking to see how much space you will need over the next little while (or there COULD be a separate option available to calculate this for you, but that would be another topic...) and therefore you would know whether you need to remove any current recordings in order for the ones scheduled to be recorded.

All I know is that right from the first time I used the DVR, I would regularly go to the screen showing the bar indicating space free on the HD.

I would never wish to go back to those DVR units. TiVo overall is MUCH better. But there ARE those few little things that the competition has that would make TiVo SOOOO much BETTER!!! ...At least for MANY of us users!!!
omni555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:06 AM   #279
pldoolittle

I love my Tivos. But, IMHO the person(s) guiding development at Tivo is completely out of touch with the user base. Simple improvements like a FSI are never done, others like Deleted Items take years. And potential big sellers like cross box scheduling remain nothing more than a fantasy. Meanwhile, we get silly stuff like games and non-tv related stuff like purchasing movie tickets.

Look at how your subs use the boxes, not how you want them to use them. I have 3 boxes. I have them networked. I do not need dual tuner, I just need cross-box scheduling. Think about it: Develop software update, or begin another major hardware redesign, re-tool products, start a new marketing effort, etc...

Tivo Execs: PRINT OUT THE WISHLIST. Distribute it to everyone who is in a position to guide the companies direction. Your subscribers are telling you how to beat the cable companies free DVRs. You could pay market analysts $1,000,000's and not get advice as good as what you can get for free here in one thread.
pldoolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:14 PM   #280
Radardog

I guess I don't see the point of a free space indicator. I suppose I would use it if it was included, but I don't think it's important.

The Tivo is aware of how much space it has to record things and indicates if there's not enough room to record something. The purpose of a Tivo is to record shows, watch them, then clear them off. Yes, sometimes you may want to keep something around for an extended period of time, and for those things I can see a reason to have one. But if you go to the To Do List it shows you what your Tivo has capacity for.
Radardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:29 PM   #281
newsposter
Poster of News

some people (no names mentioned), have hundreds of hours of programming and regularly run against limits of hard drive space....even when they have 2 tivos and 750 gigs of space....just imagine going away for a 3 day weekend and having all that HD pile up unwatched. It's a pain to calculate hours on suggestions to see what space you have left

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:38 PM   #282
ps56k

FSI - yeah, not complex, just a bar graph of % spaced used...
Even with all the variables of recording quality vs number of upcoming scheduled shows and everything else that would act as a speed bump - a simple graph would let you know if "in general" you have some space for recording.... or are getting low.

BTW - if these are suggestions - how do we actually contact TiVo and fill up there "inbox" with these suggestions ?
ps56k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:38 PM   #283
pldoolittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardog
The Tivo is aware of how much space it has to record things and indicates if there's not enough room to record something.
Yes, but it lets you know by failing to record your favorite program. You know, the one that ran while you were out for the evening...

Quote:
The purpose of a Tivo is to record shows, watch them, then clear them off.
Actually, the purpose of the tivo depends greatly on the user. For me, it's to delay a PT show until I get home at night. For my wife, it's to keep a weeks worth until Saturday when she does her chores and has a TV marathon. For my 5 year old, it's to keep a half dozen episodes of JoJo's circus handy at all times. For my teenager...

Anyway, cross those 4 usage patterns and you have a tivo that flirts with a full HDD on a regular basis. And a FSI would certainly help me avoid unneccessary losses.

Cars have gas gauges for a reason....
Old 10-31-2006, 10:44 PM   #284
ps56k

Quote:
I guess I don't see the point of a free space indicator. I suppose I would use it if it was included, but I don't think it's important.
then try driving your car without a gas gauge or odometer and let us know how that works for ya - or looking at your computer's disk space, or iPod space, camcorder, or ... just about anything based on some "capacity" has a capacity telling gauge.
ps56k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:14 AM   #285
bidger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle
Actually, the purpose of the tivo depends greatly on the user.

Absolutely! That's why some of choose to expand our TiVos, to allow for a bit of archiving. I've used them to store a season of "The Sopranos" until it came out on DVD. And then there are shows like "Cheap Seats" which I don't ever expect to see on DVD.

I don't use or want Suggestions, I just want to know when I'm running out of space with the unit without having to tally the hours accumulated in the box myself.
bidger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:11 AM   #286
newsposter
Poster of News

it's even more fun tallying when you have HD stuff in the suggestions. I try to get as many HD suggestions as possible because then I can just use 8 hour for one show instead of adding up a bunch of smaller shows

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #287
jtlytle
Un-Registered User

The reason why DVR from Cable company have Free space Indicator is because they use one speed for Record Quality and it is easy to calculate how much free space left.

But for TiVo, there's four options for Record Quality : Basic, Medium, High and Best Quality. - So it is all depends on that variable, it is impossible to calcuate exactly the amount of free space available.
jtlytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #288
omni555

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlytle
The reason why DVR from Cable company have Free space Indicator is because they use one speed for Record Quality and it is easy to calculate how much free space left.

But for TiVo, there's four options for Record Quality : Basic, Medium, High and Best Quality. - So it is all depends on that variable, it is impossible to calcuate exactly the amount of free space available.
Not TOTALLY accurate. When I had my cable company's DVR's, I found that the number of hours I could record before the hard drive filled up varied. Talking to a CC rep revealed the information that analog channels, digital channels, and HD channels required different amounts of space for the same one hour program (essentially, they were all of different "qualities").

I still found the FSI that was provided with their boxes to be a very useful feature.

What I don't understand is that the ability to do this is available but is not provided for use with the TiVo unit. I can load up the TiVoPlayList prog on my computer and see all the information (and more!) that is being asked for here. Clicking on the "View Graph" option, and selecting between "Graph Status" and "Graph Quality" views gives a wealth of information about the state of the hard drive.

There is even a little information "hidden" in the info screen on the TiVo itself that lets you know what percentage of the HD is used by each individual recording. Would it be all that difficult to have these percentages collected together and displayed somewhere as either a simple percentage or as a graph of some sort?

Right now, I would love to be able to open the TiVoPlayList program on the TV screen directly from my TiVo. ...IS that a possibility???
omni555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:35 PM   #289
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni555
Right now, I would love to be able to open the TiVoPlayList program on the TV screen directly from my TiVo. ...IS that a possibility???
Someone could implement the same functionality as an HME application, then you could.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #290
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle
I love my Tivos. But, IMHO the person(s) guiding development at Tivo is completely out of touch with the user base.
Note that we, pretty much anyone posting here, is NOT representative of the bulk of their userbase. TiVo has WAY more data than anyone else on just how the boxes are being used, and what kind of requests they receive. You shouldn't presume that you have magical insight into the userbase and TiVo is getting it wrong just because you're not who they aim to please.

Quote:
Look at how your subs use the boxes, not how you want them to use them. I have 3 boxes. I have them networked. I do not need dual tuner, I just need cross-box scheduling. Think about it: Develop software update, or begin another major hardware redesign, re-tool products, start a new marketing effort, etc...
Yeah, think about it - you're the freak, not everyone else. So am I. The vast majority of TiVo households have one box. The largest single segment of subscribers use analog cable. And the S2DT is outselling the S2, even with the S2 being cheaper. People have been screaming for a dual-tuner TiVo since they first shipped. I have multiple, networked TiVos - and I wouldn't buy a single tuner TiVo again at this point even if they had cooperative scheduling. Coop would be nice, but dual-tuners is better.

TiVo is going after the meat of their market - you're just not it. Neither am I.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #291
pldoolittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni555
Amen. This is NOT rocket science, nor is it impossible. Quite frankly it's a relatively trivial programming task and I cannot understand why so many people insist that it will require fuzzy logic, 200 coders, and not less than 10MM lines of code. A FSI is simply a gauge of capacity used relative to total capacity. A "gas gauge" if you will.

For example; Right now on my TivoPlayList I see:

Now Playing - 17 Shows (16hr 44min using 42.28GB)
TimeLeft: ~ 26hr 9min (@Best) || 42hr 1min (@High) || 55hr 13min (@Medium) || 93hr 41min (@Basic)

Wonderful information. Now, I would like that same information located on one of my tivo menus so I don't have to get out the laptop just to make sure ER will record while I'm out for dinner tonight.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #292
bifsiff94
Cliff Hanger

why not something like this?

A simple bar graph at the bottom of the now playing screen that has information about used space by category, and unused space.

Keep until I delete
Save until space needed
Suggestions
Unused disk space

For the S3, it might also be useful to see a breakdown of HD vs SD content.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Time Remaining.jpg (24.9 KB, 34 views)
bifsiff94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #293
BrettStah

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #294
DrASK
Tivo user since 2001

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah
The current line says something like the following for expired recordings:
This program may be deleted to make room for newer programs.

And something like the following for non-expired ones:
This program will be saved until at least Tue 3/23 10:00 am.

Here's what I want... if a show can be predicted to have a date/time at which is will have to be deleted, I want a line that says something like this:
This program is scheduled to be deleted on Tue 3/23 at 11:00 am to make room for a newer program.

If, based on the available space, existing recordings and upcoming recordings the Tivo will not have to delete a recording due to lack of space, a line something like the following:
This program is not currently scheduled to be deleted.

I'm not certain that existing Tivos, especially the first generation ones, can properly handle the extra workload that would be involved, however. The calculations that would be involved appear simple... just add up existing recordings and upcoming recordings, check available space, do some conservative estimating as needed, but the Tivos could already be maxed out with existing things to do.
I'm on page 8 trying to catch up, but when I saw this I had to comment.

I voted that I would pay for a FSI. I wish to rescind that vote. What I want is the above. This makes perfect sense to me. Tivo needs to work harder so I don't have to. It may not be possible, but I want it.

Last edited by DrASK : 01-16-2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: double "it"
DrASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:18 PM   #295
fractalsphere
TiVo noob!

Well, I've read through a good deal of this thread and the only suggestion I can make is that TiVo use the data already being used on the system to compile some kind of list of free and used space on the system. I can't see where it would be that hard to grab those stats for users to see.

If you drill into the 'information' of any particular recorded show you'll see the individual show usage stats (disk space % used and space used by that show in gigs). Why can't there be some sort of master listing (total disk space % used and total in gigs free)? I personally don't need to see how many minutes are available for recording, only how much space is free and how much I've used, but it seems to me it would be easy to calculate time left based on the free space, and just give total times available for each recording quality.

I'm a new TiVo user (Christmas 2006) and after a season pass or two with all-day re-runs I'm suddenly finding myself with 50 recordings on there and no realistic way of knowing how soon stuff will be auto-deleted or how much I need to prune the now playing list so stuff doesn't get automatically deleted by surprise.

It's a pain to go through and look up each show and total it together.
fractalsphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:13 PM   #296
juanian

I was thrilled when the new folder appeared which showed the deleted programs, because it lets me know at least how much space I have left at a quick glance (assuming I know how big each of the deleted programs are). (In the past, I left watched shows as exclamation points, and added up the times from that, but there were undesired side-effects using that technique.)

At a minimum, what I would like is the following:

1: Re-enable the sort based on expiration time. (This used to be available a few versions ago after entering the S 0 R T code.) Sorting on expiration time would easily show the next program to be deleted (but, it would not show when, which would also be nice).

2: Update the list of deleted programs to allow page up/down to scroll between the deleted programs. (This would make it easier to add up the total deleted time; currently, each program needs to be individually selected from the list to see how much time the show consumes.)

#1 should be easy, but (sigh) might cause too much confusion for users, which might increase customer support calls, so TiVo will probably not turn it back on.

#2 should probably be easy to implement, but I can't be sure.

Yes, there are other things I'd like to see implemented, but these two should be able to be implemented with "relatively" little effort (probably more time to QA the change than to make the change).

P.S. I just helped a friend reconnect their TiVo; it was at version 7.1. After updating it to 8.1, there were some programs in the Deleted folder. So, it appears that deleted programs were being kept in an 'invisible' deleted folder as far back as 7.1!
Old 01-17-2007, 11:18 PM   #297
juanian

One barely related enhancement I'd like to see -- when a program is deleted because the maximum number of recordings has been met, move the show to the Deleted folder. (As of 7.3.1, if the maximum number of recordings has been met (from a Season Pass or WishList), the oldest show is completely deleted when a new show is deleted.) I don't know if this now occurs for 8.1, but I sure hope it has been 'fixed' to support this.