TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
sdossett

Dish Network vip-211k and Tivo

I spent too much time this morning on the phone with both Tivo and then Dish Network. Both CSRs were unable to solve this problem, but after lots of searching, I found a procedure that solved all my issues. I'm posting it here so that the next unfortunate Tivo and Dish customer that gets this model of receiver from Dish Network will hopefully have a better experience than I did:

The Problem:
Dish Network has very recently started deploying a new model of the 211 receiver: vip-211k. Tivo doesn't have any reference to this new model in their CSR database and Tivo couldn't control mine with the IR blaster. None of the Dish Network codes would work nor would any additional codes entered into the advanced settings.

The Solution:
The vip-211k was, by default, set to an 'address' that Tivo couldn't control. I found a procedure to change the address in the User's Guide, Chapter 9, page 50 and I changed it to address mode '1':

- Press System Info on the receiver's front panel. The system Information screen displays and shows the Remote Address. Write that down in case you need it.

- Press and hold SAT on your vip-211k remote control for about three seconds, until all of the mode buttons light up, and then let go of SAT

- Use the NUMBER PAD on your vip-211k remote to enter the number: 1

- Press POUND(#). If you entered the address correctly, SAT will flash three times.

- Press RECORD on the vip-211k remote. The screen should update. Make sure the Remote Address you see on the System Information screen now displays '1'. If it isn't, the remote control cannot operate the receiver.

- Press SELECT to close the System Information screen.

After the steps above, I was able to tell the Tivo I had a 'Dish Network' receiver and it was able to change channels on the new receiver.

Last edited by sdossett : 09-19-2008 at 06:36 PM.
sdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

That's good info. I'll write it up for my agents so they can confirm the next time they get a call about this issue. Can you send me a PM with your TSN so I can determine which IR code is currently working with the 211k? Either that or you can go to the Advanced IR screen to determine the code yourself and post here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
sdossett

From looking at my settings it looks like after changing the receiver address mode and selecting 'Dish Network' for the automated channel tests and setup, the Tivo settled on using: 10001-B.
sdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

I'll update our matrix. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
jhwenger

I recently installed a series 2 and the guided setup could not control the 211k when set to "DISH" either. I switched the receiver brand to Echostar and it found it ok.
jhwenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
brianwcu

Praise be the space pope, I was pulling my hair out for a day trying to get this same problem resolved. I had the same prob, echostar nor dishnetwork would work, but following these steps fixed it.

Thanks!
brianwcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Sylvie Anne

Ergh. I am having a similar problem with my TiVo Series 2 Dual Tuner and the Dish Network ViP222K (also a dual tuner to control two televisions..)

I followed the steps above and was finally able to get the TiVo remote to change the channels, but it does seem to get (for lack of a better word) confused a lot. Also, my dual tuner tivo will not record two shows at the same time anymore.. Do I have to give up my TiVo's to have Dish? (The sales guy said I wouldn't have to give them up.. but he also said that I wouldn't lose reception in bad weather, so...)

Help? Anyone? Ergh. I loooove Tivo. I don't want to give them up!
Sylvie Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
classicsat
Astute User

Dual tuner needs analog cable. Othewise the box is a single tuner, since it supports only one box.

The dual tuner Dish boxes will only work with one TiVo at a time.
One tuner needs set to address 1, the other to address 2 or higher, and controlled only directly.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
Harvey Kabotz

Tried everything noted earlier. Set dish receiver to remote#1, set pioneer dvd remote to #1. Tried using Echostar for receiver, then tried dish brand receiver. My ir blaster is setup corrrctly. I still cannot control the dish box with the tivo remote. Help!!!!
Harvey Kabotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
Mortier

I have searched the forums for an answer, but to no avail. This week we just upgraded to two new Dish ViP 211k receivers, each on a TIVO series 2. I now find out that these receivers MUST shut down each 24 hours to "refresh". Without manually turning back on, they will not provide any input to the downstream DVRs. Dish techs can provide no answer, other than suggesting we find another service provider for my tv viewing source. As a customer for over 20 years of Dish, I find this unbelievable.
Mortier is offline   Reply With Quote