TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #31
drcos
HD where available

I have this problem intermittently as well. Noticed that it tends to go hand in hand with the 'corrupt channel map' problem I solve this way.
Pulling a card will get out of the "Please wait..." screen, but next time I try the DVR Diagnostics, it will freeze. A reboot seems to clear it up.

My biggest reasons to look at the Diagnostics are to check the CCI setting and look at "Channel List Received" in case something hinky happens to the channel maps.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #32
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Add me to the unhappy HD campers who tried the DVR Diagnostics page. Interestingly, I left it overnight and it came out of that page on its own. It was recording something at the time and that recording seems to be ok. Don't know if it reset itself at some point to get out of the hung page but it is hung up again now. Maybe I'll pull the plug and try again. Great feature.
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #33
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Pulling the plug on the Tivo and restarting fixed the problem but I suspect that the longer the Tivo remains on since its reset, the higher the probablity that it will hang again. This is just a guess based on comments by others but no one has a definitive answer that I can find.
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #34
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Arrow TiVos lock up after accessing DVR Diagnostics in Setting menu

Add me to the list experiencing lock-ups, or half my remote buttons stop working (such as left and right, and the main TiVo button, but up and down still work), with reboot required to recover.

My four Premieres do it, but my two HD units don't, that I recall, anyway (although I've accessed my Premieres a lot more, so I'll check out the HDs sometime soon).

Up time has no effect in my case. Using same remotes I have been for a long time, and have verified each remote is paired to a TiVo with a unique Remote ID number, with none set to zero.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #35
Tanquen

I just did this on 2 of my HD units. Lame!
Tanquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #36
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Add me to the list of people that experience this, and after posting now, see I posted about it in 2011, as well. Some common denominations are: Audio drop-outs, sometimes macro blocking (or as some call it "pixelating"), TiVo not manually rebooted from the menu recently, go into diagnostics, lockup, but if recording, recording continues. I don't have to pull the power plug. I just unplug the cable input, and it resolves, then plug the cable back in. TiVo blames Cox, Cox blames TiVo. Neither wants to help. This goes for my HD and Premiere units. ALL OF THEM. While you will lose a few minutes of anything recording, you'll avoid drive corruption, and a possible GSOD reboot loop, which will brick your unit until you re-image the drive. I too believe it is due to an error log exceeding the limit set by the TiVo software, and pulling the signal source somehow resolves it.

I really wish TiVo would get their butts sued, to stop them from suing anybody that tries to provide a competing product out on the market. Why does TiVo get to monopolize, and terrorize competition, much like The Cable Providers and Telephone companies do? It's ridiculous. OTA, streaming, and Satellite are options, but poor ones, at least in my area...

Last edited by nooneuknow : 05-11-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Made reference about 2011 post, I just noticed I had made
Old 05-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #37
HerronScott

I've seen this occasionally on my 2 S3 OLEDs (bought in December 2006/January 2007). I'm generally not in a habit of looking at the DVR Diagnostics so it has not been a big issue. I definitely don't see any issues that could be related to any drive corruption/GSOD issue.

There have been several standalone DVR manufacturers (Replay, Microsoft and Moxi being the most recent). It would appear that there is not enough business out there to support a huge standalone market and TiVo's recent lawsuits against the cable and satellite DVR manufacturers to protect their patents is not preventing competition.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #38
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I've seen this occasionally on my 2 S3 OLEDs (bought in December 2006/January 2007). I'm generally not in a habit of looking at the DVR Diagnostics so it has not been a big issue. I definitely don't see any issues that could be related to any drive corruption/GSOD issue.

There have been several standalone DVR manufacturers (Replay, Microsoft and Moxi being the most recent). It would appear that there is not enough business out there to support a huge standalone market and TiVo's recent lawsuits against the cable and satellite DVR manufacturers to protect their patents is not preventing competition.

Scott
I meant that pulling the POWER cord, when a brief disconnection of the cable/signal source may suffice, COULD cause corruption, POSSIBLY leading up to the unrecoverable GSOD reboot loop, which is the result of a corruption the TiVo can't correct, but will keep trying to infinity. The only well-known and tested way to come back from that is to lose everything that is on the TiVo, by re-imaging the drive. The less drastic approach also only causes a momentary loss of signal, thus a minute or two of anything that may be recording at the time, as opposed to the entire reboot cycle.

The second segment, I'll just agree to disagree, since it's the kind of thing that arguing our sides would only lead to a long battle, drifting Off-Topic, and there's too many people who share both our opinions, that would love to argue it out. This isn't the thread for that.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #39
Reuse

Hmmm, I can only see the network diagnostics under Phone & Network.
Reuse is offline   Reply With Quote