TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
mikbro

New TivoHD owner - what happened to reliability?

I have owned Tivos (Series 1, 2 and an "early adopter" of the Series 3 when it came out). I have been away from Tivo for about a year and have been using DirecTV (and their DVR's - which are surprisngly pretty decent).

I recently switched to FIOS and picked up a Tivo HD... it is running the current sw - 9.4.

So my question - WTF? I have had numerous total lockups, forcing me to pull the power. I think I have had more lockups with this Tivo HD than with all my previous Tivos combined. From reading the forums I don't seem to be alone in this.

Lockups aside my brief return to Tivo brings up other UI deficiencies compared w/the DirecTv DVRs:

I miss the ability to press rec rec to quicly setup a season pass.
I miss the speed of the UI and guide, search (by title) is quicker as well.
What's up with the low-res, web based looking Swivel Search UI?
UI is very cluttered around the "Find Programs option... like they keep adding more "options" but don't realize they need a more intuitive UI to organize them better.

I would happily overlook these things, because I do like the Season Pass functionality (Tivo's bread a butter), Wishlists and, up till now ROCK SOLID RELIABILITY.

Looks like I will be returning the Tivo HD and using the FIOS DVR for now, I know I don't want to go through the cable card troubles that I had with a new Tivo again.

Very disappointed right now...
mikbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
Jasper

I would call Tivo & complain. They will probably send you a new one. I never have lockups and they are NOT normal! Either return it where you got it or call Tivo.

I too have FIOS and I can assure you something is wrong, probably the hard drive.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

You've got a bad unit or problems with the FIOS signal level, dude. Tivo HD with the 9.4 video freeze fix has (so far) been rock-solid for me.

I agree that 'Find Programs and Downloads' is a badly misnamed menu item since it's become an all-in-one option for managing recordings as well.

Speed seems fine to me unless you're in the HME apps, then ugh.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Agreed with what was said. FIOS is known to be a "hot" signal and may need to be attenuated and a low-pass filter added to settle the signal down.

Anyways, don't forget the shortcuts from TiVo Central

(Someone please correct me if I got them wrong)

1 - Season Pass Manager
2 - To Do List
3 - Wishlists
4 - Browse by Date
5 - Browse by Channel
6 - Browse by Time
7 - Set up Manual Recording
8 - Suggestions
9 - Showcases
Old 09-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
RossoNeri
Tech Geek

Don't do it. I'm not familiar with the D* DVR but I know I would never call the FiOS DVR "fairly decent" so don't expect that the FiOS will be comparable.

I agree with the other posters: don't give up on your THD w/o a fight. It's probably a bad box causing the lockups. Both of my THD on FiOS work without issues.

Cheers.
RossoNeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
jtseltmann

I have had three TivoHD's running for almost a year now...and have had no issues whatsoever. I have 6 cable cards from cablevision being used...so not FIOS but I would say comparible? One dvr expander on the main Tivo and all is firing normal. Definitely call Tivo and complain...i worked with them when one of mine got fried via power surge through the cable line. They were great.
Samsung LN52A650 - 52" LCD 120Hz
Samsung PN50B550 - 50" Plasma
Samsung LNS2641D -26" LCD
Harmony One
Harmony 659
jtseltmann is offline   Reply With Quote